Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
55W800b or 55w950b?

Hey,

I'm looking between these 2 TVs. I can get them for the same price as each other. As I understand the 900b is the top end model, but from reviews they say it's the worst flagship and I feel like they might be reviewing it based on its price. But as I can get these 2 TVs for the same price. Which is the better TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozh89 View Post
Hey,

I'm looking between these 2 TVs. I can get them for the same price as each other. As I understand the 900b is the top end model, but from reviews they say it's the worst flagship and I feel like they might be reviewing it based on its price. But as I can get these 2 TVs for the same price. Which is the better TV?
Just curious what pric magic you have...

But in either case my recommendation would be to try to see them in person, tinker with the settings a bit. The W800 series for 2014 is coming off of a somewhat disappointing 2013 showing that seems to have been quite improved for this year. Conversely, the W900 series is somewhat the opposite. Last years W900a was widely regarded as the best 1080p LCD, even challenging plasma TV blacks and color accuracy. This year Sony changed the W900 series panel and 3D type, decreased its motion rating, and implemented the wedge design.

While reviews are quite critical of the 2014 W900 series, it feels like it is mostly in comparison to how amazing the 2013 model reviewed. As a standalone TV, it probably has quite a few good merits. Feature wise, it is probably better than the W800b, and PQ probably can't be any worse. If they are the same price for you, you'd probably be safe with the W950, but again, view in person of you can.

Also, I'm about to buy a 55W800b this weekend. Looked at it in store with various video sources and it is a beautiful mid-range TV. I'm sure both options you'll be happy with.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-22-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiseguy85 View Post
Just curious what pric magic you have...

But in either case my recommendation would be to try to see them in person, tinker with the settings a bit. The W800 series for 2014 is coming off of a somewhat disappointing 2013 showing that seems to have been quite improved for this year. Conversely, the W900 series is somewhat the opposite. Last years W900a was widely regarded as the best 1080p LCD, even challenging plasma TV blacks and color accuracy. This year Sony changed the W900 series panel and 3D type, decreased its motion rating, and implemented the wedge design.

While reviews are quite critical of the 2014 W900 series, it feels like it is mostly in comparison to how amazing the 2013 model reviewed. As a standalone TV, it probably has quite a few good merits. Feature wise, it is probably better than the W800b, and PQ probably can't be any worse. If they are the same price for you, you'd probably be safe with the W950, but again, view in person of you can.

Also, I'm about to buy a 55W800b this weekend. Looked at it in store with various video sources and it is a beautiful mid-range TV. I'm sure both options you'll be happy with.
Price was cheap because there was a End of Financial Sale. We ended up getting the W950B as the Missus liked the look of the stand more, haha.

the W950B looks like it had better colors, was hard to test the blacks because of the lighting in the store.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55W800b by PriceGrabber.com