Quick tv calibration/Direct TV/receiver question!! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quick tv calibration/Direct TV/receiver question!!

Good morning tech people! I just recently had my Samsung HU9000 calibrated by Best Buy and he switched my Direct TV box to Native "on" in the settings. I could not figure out for the life of me why when I changed the channels it was taking forever to load the picture. I thought the tech changed a setting on my Onkyo receiver. With a lot of testing I found out it was he Native option on the DTV box.

Question..... Is it better to have this on or off? I have been switching it on and off and I don't know if i can tell a difference, but it's super annoying to have the tv input pop up and it take forever every time I change channels.... But I want to have the best picture quality.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Put it on 1080i and see how it looks on both broadcast resolutions if your set has a decent scaler/deinterlacer (sounds like it does ) it should be fine some sets are better than others at that .

The tier one brands, Samsung,Toshiba,Sony.Panasonic,LG ,Sharp shouldn't have any issues they build their own video processing hardware and have been at it for a good while. . I've got a Sammie plasma here and Sony,LG,Toshiba LED/LCD they all handle 1080i from the STB fine on 720p channels. No hard and fast rule it depends on your set a Sammie should be fine though .

I used to switch my Dish STB between 720p and 1080i according to the channel (no native option w/Dish) TBH it looks fine at 1080i output on either resolution . IOW I didn't notice a remarkable (if any ) difference other than the normal 720p/1080i difference . It might help on 720p sports though because the broadcast effective refresh rate is higher
@720p YMMV . It's the old 1080i/30 vs 720p/60 argument although in any event your TV will operate at the panels native refresh rate anyway .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
Good morning tech people! I just recently had my Samsung HU9000 calibrated by Best Buy and he switched my Direct TV box to Native "on" in the settings. I could not figure out for the life of me why when I changed the channels it was taking forever to load the picture. I thought the tech changed a setting on my Onkyo receiver. With a lot of testing I found out it was he Native option on the DTV box.

Question..... Is it better to have this on or off? I have been switching it on and off and I don't know if i can tell a difference, but it's super annoying to have the tv input pop up and it take forever every time I change channels.... But I want to have the best picture quality.

Opinions?
It comes down to which device has the best upscaling. You should experiment. In this case it sounds like you have 3 choices:

1) DirectV box upscales (in which case you set it tot 1080P, not I)

2) Onkyo upscales (in which case set the DirecTV box to native and set the Onkyo to send in 1080P always)

3) Samsung TV upscales (set the DirecTV to native, set the Onkyo to pass-through)

The DirecTV box can send 1080P BTW, not just 1080I. Some of DirecTV's streaming and on-demand content is 1080P.

I have the DirecTV box and set it to native. I am skeptical the DirecTV box will be the best upscaled in your setup.

Last edited by Citivas; 06-22-2014 at 07:31 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I don't know which is best. I suspect that various resolutions from D* may look a little better if the TV does the upscaling. That's how I have my HR24-500 set, with output to a HU8550, currently, after experimenting both ways. However, it does take a long time to switch channels -- part of what is going on there may be a bug in the D* system, since in switching from one 1080i channel to another 1080i channel, sometimes the D* box first tells the TV to switch to 720p mode, which takes a few seconds, then it tells the TV to switch from 720p mode to 1080i mode. That is, there are two unnecessary mode switches here.

Whatever you decide, be sure to coordinate with the settings on the D* box for Settings > Display > TV Resolutions. If you want the D* box to handle all upscaling, say here that 1080i is the only resolution your TV supports and turn off the Native setting. If you want the TV to handle all upscaling, say your TV supports all the resolutions listed and turn on Native. And you can get fancy and keep Native off but say your TV supports only 1080i and 1080p, for instance, to have the D* box handle all upscaling except going from 1080i to 1080p.

There is a theoretical argument for letting the TV do all the upscaling, because otherwise there will be double upscales, one by the D* box and another piled on top of that done by the TV.

Greg Lee

Last edited by GregLee; 06-22-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 499
No 1080p options on Dish TV only 480I/720P /1080i *except maybe on some premium PPV content* AFAIK anyway I never use it and no native option good advice from the other posters regarding DTV here though no hard and fast rules as they say .... it depends .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-22-2014 at 10:06 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
It comes down to which device has the best upscaling. You should experiment. In this case it sounds like you have 3 choices:

1) DirectV box upscales (in which case you set it tot 1080P, not I)

2) Onkyo upscales (in which case set the DirecTV box to native and set the Onkyo to send in 1080P always)

3) Samsung TV upscales (set the DirecTV to native, set the Onkyo to pass-through)

The DirecTV box can send 1080P BTW, not just 1080I. Some of DirecTV's streaming and on-demand content is 1080P.

I have the DirecTV box and set it to native. I am skeptical the DirecTV box will be the best upscaled in your setup.
My Direct TV box doesn't have 1080p I don't think. It's an older box and I didn't want to use my free upgrade on it yet. I was kind of waiting to see if they would release a new one if they have a 4k channel or 2. Not sure if they will, but when I stopped I talked to the Direct TV people, they said that they were supposed to announce something in regards to 4k this summer. Who knows??

So it sounds like there might not be 1 best way... I may just keep the native off for now. The 4 second delay when changing channels is super annoying. And I was using the FORMAT button on the remote while watching numerous things and could not tell any difference between 720 and 1080 so I'm really not sure if the Native option being on matters.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post
My Direct TV box doesn't have 1080p I don't think. It's an older box and I didn't want to use my free upgrade on it yet. I was kind of waiting to see if they would release a new one if they have a 4k channel or 2. Not sure if they will, but when I stopped I talked to the Direct TV people, they said that they were supposed to announce something in regards to 4k this summer. Who knows??

So it sounds like there might not be 1 best way... I may just keep the native off for now. The 4 second delay when changing channels is super annoying. And I was using the FORMAT button on the remote while watching numerous things and could not tell any difference between 720 and 1080 so I'm really not sure if the Native option being on matters.
I have a box from 2006 that does 1080P so how old is your box? Again, it only does 1080P for certain downloaded content not any of the channels, but the box can handle it as a resolution in the choices. Id your box not one of their DVR's?

In any event, you should be fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - HU9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page