LG 84UB9800 - List: $14,999 - Street:: $8,900

Pros:

Sony: FALD, Outstanding picture.
Samsung: Cheap, Samsung reputation.
LG: Passive 3D, Excellent Service

Cons:

Sony: Cost, Active 3D
Samsung: Active 3D, not yet seen
LG: Previous set (LM9600) suffered from lip-sync issues and severe banding.

Wondering what everyone thinks and would choose.
Janibrewski likes this.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Contenders:

Sony 85X950B - List: $24,999 - Street (probably ) $18,000
Samsung UN85HU8550FXZA - List: $14,999 Street: $8,400
LG 84UB9800 - List: $14,999 - Street:: $8,900

Pros:

Sony: FALD, Outstanding picture.
Samsung: Cheap, Samsung reputation.
LG: Passive 3D, Excellent Service

Cons:

Sony: Cost, Active 3D
Samsung: Active 3D, not yet seen
LG: Previous set (LM9600) suffered from lip-sync issues and severe banding.

Wondering what everyone thinks and would choose.
I would add to this on the LG that the initial reviews of their other 2014 4K sets have been coming back disastrously bad. The UB9800's are just hitting the streets so we should know soon if those problems persist to their flagship or not. Hopefully the latter.

Also, Panasonic is supposed to have mid-80's inch coming out for both their top edge-lit 4K and their flagship FALD 4K. No release dates, so probably not soon.

If cost were no option, I'd obviously go for the Sony FALD -- but of course cost usually is at least a relative option and I'm not sure it's worth over double the competition. Otherwise, I think too soon to tell until we see more hard data on the calibrated results and whether there are any known quirks (like the lip sync issue and banding) with these new sets.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You could save alot by including 78"+ screens, such as the HU9000 or Sony 900B, whilst only sacrificing 5"
post #4 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't think you should be spending over $8,000 on a TV but if you're going to spend so much you could get a projector setup.
Raitzi likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Have had high-end projectors for years. My last one cost even more than the Sony set itself. But since then I have down-sized and want something a bit less "fiddley" and easy for everyone to use. Also, quote frankly, the projector never quite looks as good in 4k. I also want 3D, and home projectors do not do such a great job there.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post
I don't think you should be spending over $8,000 on a TV but if you're going to spend so much you could get a projector setup.
Out of curiosity, if you add up 100% of all costs associated with your projector setup, from the projector itself to the mount, cabling, power pulls, screen, blackout curtains (for those of us without light controlled basements), AVR, speakers, bulb replacements, masking if any, paint and carpeting, any other sound baffling, etc., did you spend only $8K? If so, could you list all your equipment? And did you do all the power and cable pulls and projector and screen mounting yourself?

I ask because I spent about 6 months hanging out in the projector and home theater forums here and even tried out a decent $6K projector. In my default environment in terms of light control, the image was not more impressive. No one in my household preferred it at 133" over our 65" plasma. In my case, when I was done adding up all the things I would have to do to my room to get a reasonably pleasing image in terms of light control, running permanent power to the ceiling between two floors (wife nixed anything like a cable hide that wasn't permanently hidden in walls), re-painting the white room darker (which the wife nixed), getting some carpet for our light colored hardwood floor (she nixed that too), etc., I was well over $20K. Now in fairness if I took the VAR, speaker and speaker cabling out and just did a sound bar to be more apples-to-apples with the LCD setup, I would save some of that. Put I would still be at about 5-times the cost of my 80" LCD screen that required virtually no setup and works fantastic in all our lighting conditions.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love a projector/home theater setup, though I don't prefer it unless it's done right (i.e. not just any projector in any lighting conditions is better than a TV). But I don't see how it's generally always true to suggest "just get a projector" when talking about a large image. I think it's highly dependent on the viewing environment and rarely less expensive in terms of total cost of ownership. The results are awesome of course...
post #7 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 66
^^^

You're definitely including things (speakers, avr) in the cost of a "projector" that you shouldn't IMO. Yes I understand that TVs have built in speakers, thus making an avr and speakers an option rather than a requirement as they are with projectors. But come on. Anyone spending $4000+ on a TV is nuts to use the on board speakers. Not saying people don't. Just that they're nuts.

Also, some of the other things you mention e.g. mount, has a TV equivalent: the wall bracket.

Finally, that no one in your house preferred the 133" projection set up to your 65" plasma speaks, I believe, to your set specific up. I've not seen a well set up front projector and large screen that I wouldn't take over a (very) large TV every single time, at least for immersive movie viewing.

Edit: btw I currently have a 75" set and miss my 110" projection set up immensely.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #8 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Guys, both have their merit. I have had the Theo K. Home Theater along with the VERY expensive gear and it was AMAZING!

However, it required a dedicated room with light control and everything. The large screen is much easier to work with and have the rest of the family deal with. Also this is in a room with a high-end two-channel audio system. So, multi-purpose.

Really leaning towards the LG 84U9800 - anyone have anything to say about it? Cant find any reviews yet.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
^^^

You're definitely including things (speakers, avr) in the cost of a "projector" that you shouldn't IMO. Yes I understand that TVs have built in speakers, thus making an avr and speakers an option rather than a requirement as they are with projectors. But come on. Anyone spending $4000+ on a TV is nuts to use the on board speakers. Not saying people don't. Just that they're nuts.

Also, some of the other things you mention e.g. mount, has a TV equivalent: the wall bracket.

Finally, that no one in your house preferred the 133" projection set up to your 65" plasma speaks, I believe, to your set specific up. I've not seen a well set up front projector and large screen that I wouldn't take over a (very) large TV every single time, at least for immersive movie viewing.

Edit: btw I currently have a 75" set and miss my 110" projection set up immensely.
We have a very high-end (when new) Denon AVR with a nice 5.1 set of speakers. Couple thousand invested in the sound. All setup with the Harmony One remote to handle all the switching, etc. And yet, I am the only person in my household who ever uses the AVR/speaker setup. Everyone else -- wife, two teens and a 9 year old, their friends, just turn on the TV and use the internal speakers. You can clearly tell the difference when I use the full AVR/speaker setup. Sounds awesome to me. My kids like it, just not enough to "bother" with the Harmony remote, which is the same as saying they are indifferent to it.

I think the people who hang out on this forum over-estimate that how many people care about all this stuff as much as we do. I don't think a majority people in the general buying population use AVR's even with large sets. I can't tell you how many times I have walked into the living room and seen the 65" TV off while one of the kids is watching a show streaming from Netflix on their iPhone or iPod Touch -- not even bothering to use the available larger iPad screen let alone the 4 different Netflix apps available on the TV setup. They just don't care about the screen size or sound quality that much -- it's the content they care about. My high school son's friends love to huddle around someone's laptop to watch a show. When they show up and use our now 80" screen, they like it fine -- it's a novelty to them but none of them would value it the way those of us here do.

Never wall-mounted a TV yet, by the way. Statistically, most people don't. The projector mount's a fair cost. Besides, in my email that even once you excluded all the sound costs it was still 5x the 80" TV cost for a better result. To your point about a "well setup" projector, we're basically saying the same thing. My point is many people don't have an optimal environment for a projector and to get it to even close to a good environment is additional cost, not to mention other aesthetic trade-offs. If I had a finished basement or the right room I would definitely do it. Of course it's more immersive. but that's a pro against various cons like total cost and effort of ownership, whether you have a good location, how much you're willing to modify that location, etc. My point has never been anti-porjector, it has always been skepticism in statements that suggest a projector is always a better alternative to a large screen. I am confident it is not, and I suspect it may not be even for a majority of cases. For those that do have the right setup and circumstances though, more power to you...
Janibrewski likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Guys, both have their merit. I have had the Theo K. Home Theater along with the VERY expensive gear and it was AMAZING!

However, it required a dedicated room with light control and everything. The large screen is much easier to work with and have the rest of the family deal with. Also this is in a room with a high-end two-channel audio system. So, multi-purpose.

Really leaning towards the LG 84U9800 - anyone have anything to say about it? Cant find any reviews yet.
Exactly -- you're saying the same thing I am about a projector setup...

I am still waiting on reviews too, or to see the 79" or 84" in-person. I wouldn't trust getting that one otherwise, though, given both the truly horrific reviews for their lower-level 4K sets this year and the significant lip-sync and banding issues on last year's flagship that this replaces. It sounds like people who got later cycle models of that set that had upgraded boards and firmware actually said the lip-sync issue got worse. None of this may apply to the new UB9800, but we just don't know yet.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here is a Youtube quick overview of the UB9800:

post #12 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

I agree that most people use built in speakers (or, at best, a sound bar) with large, expensive sets. But I think they are crazy, and perhaps also lazy. I also get that they may have different priorities and preferences.

I leave my harmony out on the end table and put all the other remotes in the drawer. That way it's more of a pita to use the TV's speakers than it is to use the entire system. And my kids have been able to turn everything on and off, switch sources, and do their thing from age 5-6. So it's not like it's complicated.

As for projectors, I think you guys are overstating how high the environmental bar is for a very large front projector set up to be "better" than a large TV. That said, I do agree that the time lag for the triggers to fire, screen to drop, projector to come on and warm up (even though likely under a minute total) is enough to thwart many folks.

FWIW I do plan on replacing my 75" set with an 85"ish 4K set when the price/quality analysis reaches my threshold. But I'll still miss my 110" screen. And if I had it, I'd use it to watch movies over an 85" set every time. HGTV? Not so much.

Double True!
post #13 of 14 Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
I agree that most people use built in speakers (or, at best, a sound bar) with large, expensive sets. But I think they are crazy, and perhaps also lazy. I also get that they may have different priorities and preferences.
Lazy is a value proposition for most people. Those of us on this forum truly value the improved sound. Some could care less, so it's worth no investment of additional effort or money. Some would say we're crazy to invest so much time and money on this AV equipment in the first place. The only reason my kids see a movie at the theater is because it's a social activity or because they want to see it and it's the only outlet at the time. Otherwise they'd be just as happy to view it on their iPhone. We have an IMAX theater that's about 5 minutes further than the nearest theater which has seriously outdated seating, sound, etc. But most people in my family (everyone but me) prefers the close, dated theater because they save 5 minute and there are less crowds. IMAX means nothing to them in terms of caring about the better experience.

I would argue that collectively we AV geeks are in the extreme minority.

Last edited by Citivas; 06-25-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Agreed. Value proposition is what I meant by priorities/preferences. I equate it somewhat to laziness because if 5.1/7.1 setups "just worked" the way built in speakers do and there were zero barriers to proper usage, then I think more people would use them.

CEC is a nice notion but in practice works terribly. And Harmony remotes, though amazing for the price, can still get a little wonky. Then you have to worry about which surround format to choose, etc.

Regardless, agreed we are in the extreme minority.

Double True!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 84 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page