Video quality of current LED's vs old plasma's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Video quality of current LED's vs old plasma's?

My Samsung F8500 plasma has enough dead pixels to qualify me for a refund or replacement under my retailers extended warranty. I've not kept up with LED technology over the past few years so I'm not sure what their quality is like now. Are there any LED's on the market or coming soon that will give me something similar in video quality as far as black levels and non-blurry fast motion (without using frame interpolation) as my old plasma?

Panasonic Plasma's are out of the question due to day time viewing and Samsung seems to have dropped OLED's from their 2014 Australian lineup so I can't get one of them. LED or nothing I guess.

Thanks in advance.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2014, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post
My Samsung F8500 plasma has enough dead pixels to qualify me for a refund or replacement under my retailers extended warranty. I've not kept up with LED technology over the past few years so I'm not sure what their quality is like now. Are there any LED's on the market or coming soon that will give me something similar in video quality as far as black levels and non-blurry fast motion (without using frame interpolation) as my old plasma?

Panasonic Plasma's are out of the question due to day time viewing and Samsung seems to have dropped OLED's from their 2014 Australian lineup so I can't get one of them. LED or nothing I guess.

Thanks in advance.
The new LEDs are surprising really good. I am not sure what exactly what your budget is, but here is a good review from cnet and it actually compares the black levels to the panasonic plasma's and in some cases surpasses the plasma. I will say nothing will probably have the uniformity you are accustom to with the f8500. This is coming from someone who previously owned the f8500 and has owned/tried about every 4k tv on the market.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-55x900b/
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
The new LEDs are surprising really good. I am not sure what exactly what your budget is, but here is a good review from cnet and it actually compares the black levels to the panasonic plasma's and in some cases surpasses the plasma. I will say nothing will probably have the uniformity you are accustom to with the f8500. This is coming from someone who previously owned the f8500 and has owned/tried about every 4k tv on the market.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-55x900b/
OK, going by that review looks like a high end LED will be acceptable quality. The Samsung HU9000 caught my eye because of it's wider colour gamut and that replaceable box. But I've only just started my search so haven't settled on brand, features or price.

Thanks again.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE

Last edited by DELTAsnake; 06-27-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page