• 1 Post By drumlegend

post #1 of 14 Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Which should I buy

I have found two deals with Argos,

I payed with vouchers that for a tv but I'm sending it back. They are releasing a new catalogue soon so the one I currently have is out of stock. They don't have many tv's in stock and I don't have a lot of money to spend.

I found these two.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9159062.htm

I've read mixed reviews about this one but it's in my price range and would be a nice upgrade from a 32 inch.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2499657.htm

I have absolutely no idea about this one, it has no reviews anywhere but it's a steal at that price.

Any advice would be great thanks.

I have checked many of the other well known brands and most of them are out of stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Definitely the Sony without a doubt I have the US KDL 40R450a model (same TV ) it has a decent Samsung S-PVA panel in it and once calibrated will
spank the Samsung EH/ES/H 5XXX /6XXX sets no problem. besides you have to play the panel lottery with 5XXX and 6XXX Samsungs you never know what you will end up with . Samsung is pretty indiscriminate with their panel choices on these sets and will put in almost anything that will fit . The Sammie is edge lit and the Sony is direct light
less issues with a direct lit panel .
IF you are lucky and get a Samsung S-PVA panel or a AUO MVA panel that's alright no problem but not guaranteed ! OTOH with the R4XXx /W600b Sony you are guaranteed an Samsung S-PVA panel in that model not to mention the Sony fit and finish spanks the 5X/6X Sammies . Stay away from the W7 /WXXXx 42" or any 42" they use dreadful LGD IPS panels those are the orphan Sonys .

The secret to this Sony and almost any other Sony is ,
The Sony Cinema Mode makes some nice accurate natural colors as LCD goes all you have to do is screw up the contrast (picture) and backlight to max in cinema mode (defaults in cinema are way to low ) set the color temp @ neutral so it doesn't push red or blue set your pixel mapping at 1:1 (full pixel) and ofc turn off any energy saver and power saver modes that may be present see what +2 gamma looks like and you are good to go.
Once you set it up like that for the money (even at MSRP. ) it's astonishly good and can spank many and LCD that costs more, way better than how it looks out of the box ! I believe it's pretty much the same set including the panel as the newer W600b .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-03-2014 at 06:27 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-03-2014, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Definitely the Sony without a doubt I have the US KDL 40R450a model (same TV ) it has a decent Samsung S-PVA panel in it and once calibrated will
spank the Samsung EH/ES/H 5XXX /6XXX sets no problem. besides you have to play the panel lottery with 5XXX and 6XXX Samsungs you never know what you will end up with . Samsung is pretty indiscriminate with their panel choices on these sets and will put in almost anything that will fit . The Sammie is edge lit and the Sony is direct light
less issues with a direct lit panel .
IF you are lucky and get a Samsung S-PVA panel or a AUO MVA panel that's alright no problem but not guaranteed ! OTOH with the R4XXx /W600b Sony you are guaranteed an Samsung S-PVA panel in that model not to mention the Sony fit and finish spanks the 5X/6X Sammies . Stay away from the W7 /WXXXx 42" or any 42" they use dreadful LGD IPS panels those are the orphan Sonys .

The secret to this Sony and almost any other Sony is ,
The Sony Cinema Mode makes some nice accurate natural colors as LCD goes all you have to do is screw up the contrast (picture) and backlight to max in cinema mode (defaults in cinema are way to low ) set the color temp @ neutral so it doesn't push red or blue set your pixel mapping at 1:1 (full pixel) and ofc turn off any energy saver and power saver modes that may be present see what +2 gamma looks like and you are good to go.
Once you set it up like that for the money (even at MSRP. ) it's astonishly good and can spank many and LCD that costs more, way better than how it looks out of the box ! I believe it's pretty much the same set including the panel as the newer W600b .
Thank you, so I'm guessing you are very happy with that set then?

What is the sound like? I currenty have a Samsung and the sound isn't great due to it being so thin.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumlegend View Post
Thank you, so I'm guessing you are very happy with that set then?

What is the sound like? I currently have a Samsung and the sound isn't great due to it being so thin.
Sure it's a very good set for the money as good or better than a lot of sets until you get into the Sony 8XXx sets once you set it up even then it's not that far off if set right otherwise it's OK but nothing to write home about it took me a good while to unlock it's best. Not so hot out of the box on the default factory pre sets but easy to fix and very simple (once you know the trick I'm picky with TV's I tried a zillion combinations and fooled with it constantly ,now I just turn it on and forget it )
sometimes I will bring the brightness down from 55 to 50 in the dark to enhance the blacks thats it ! .

Sound is much better than competing sets (and 4 of my other sets )actually it surprised me .

Only caveat is depending on the panel you win in the Samsung panel lottery a Samsung might be brighter or not
but not any better . OTOH the Sony is quite adequate and you can be certain of the panel on this model .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-04-2014 at 05:33 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe it uses an LGD ips panel (cheap one ) good reason not to buy it !
I believe LGD are the only ones that make that orphan size panel.
if buying a Sammie I would stick to the 40" and hope I won a decent VA panel inside !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-04-2014 at 05:35 AM.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I believe it uses an LGD ips panel (cheap one ) good reason not to buy it !
I believe LGD are the only ones that make that orphan size panel.
if buying a Sammie I would stick to the 40" and hope I won a decent VA panel inside !
I will go for the Sony then as that seems like a safe bet

Thank you
post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Care to share your settings then? :P
post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Good choice I've seen the Sammies not bad but not as good

This should get you started you can always reset picture modes back to factory settings (reset ) in case you want to
you can also make a day night setting day in general and night in cinema perhaps with day brightness at 55-60 and night at 50-55
for best results all the other setting should be same between the 2 modes *if you are trying to make a day nite thing * .
This is not a calibration that's a whole different level just adjustments derived from my DIY calibration I've found that work well on most Sonys I am not a trained or certified calibrator those guys cost loot and are highly trained
if you have the loot for a professional calibration it would be good choice for some !

Took a long time to get this down . because every time you make a small change in one thing it can affect another that affects another and so on . You alway have the option to re set to Sony defaults if you prefer that feel free to experiment a little you can't hurt it in the user menu

.DO not go in to the service menu unless you know exactly what you are doing and what version of firmware your set is using one wrong move in there and you may suddenly have a permanent 40" dark silent book end
beside on this set there is nothing to affect the picture in the service menu .

B]FWIW[/B] Turn off all the ECO/Energy Saver crap and brightness and /or backlight sensors .* if any are present *

For the most accurate colors put it in Cinema mode and screw
the contrast (picture ) to max same thing with the backlight .they are way to low out of the box !
you might want to do that in all the modes as well some of the other settings esp. gamma in each mode and each input
I leave the color temp at vivid is sports mode for effect but I usually don't use it, tweaked Cinema is usually the best on a Sony

The Cinema mode /scene select will turn off all the other advanced settings crap you don't need for a good picture

Best to set color temp at neutral in most modes and particularly Cinema Sonys like to push red if you don't (been that way forever ) and some blues can take on a lavender tint and it can otherwise skew the yellows ,greens and magenta ,
set it too cool and it pushes blue like a Cheap Emerson, Dynex or Westinghouse at WM or Target in store or torch mode !

Advanced settings Cine motion should be auto though thats your 3:2 pull down for 24p film content (movies )
In advanced settings Gamma at +2 usually helps with picture detail on Sonys also

Fageet about any motion settings or blinking back lights /edge lights or frame dimming

I would keep the brightness and color saturation about 50-55 no more than 60 on either one otherwise excessive brightness you will kill your blacks and thus contrast and might lose detail and see blooming and/ or a washed out picture excessive color saturation skews the colors and kills picture detail .

Sharpness on a Sony with a VA panel probably about 17 most other sets a lot less .

contrary to popular wisdom contrast sets white levels and Brightness sets black levels no lie !

Oh in the screen setting menu set your screen pixel mapping @1:1 (full pixel very important ) ,auto wide ON ,4:3 default OFF ,Auto Display area OFF very important !

Note : if full pixel is not right your brand new 1080p set is suddenly a 720p set no matter what the display info banner says no lie !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-04-2014 at 11:20 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good choice I've seen the Sammies not bad but not as good

This should get you started you can always reset picture modes back to factory settings (reset ) in case you want to
you can also make a day night setting day in general and night in cinema perhaps with day brightness at 55-60 and night at 50-55
for best results all the other setting should be same between the 2 modes *if you are trying to make a day nite thing * .
This is not a calibration that's a whole different level just adjustments derived from my DIY calibration I've found that work well on most Sonys I am not a trained or certified calibrator those guys cost loot and are highly trained
if you have the loot for a professional calibration it would be good choice for some !

Took a long time to get this down . because every time you make a small change in one thing it can affect another that affects another and so on . You alway have the option to re set to Sony defaults if you prefer that feel free to experiment a little you can't hurt it in the user menu

.DO not go in to the service menu unless you know exactly what you are doing and what version of firmware your set is using one wrong move in there and you may suddenly have a permanent 40" dark silent book end
beside on this set there is nothing to affect the picture in the service menu .

B]FWIW[/B] Turn off all the ECO/Energy Saver crap and brightness and /or backlight sensors .* if any are present *

For the most accurate colors put it in Cinema mode and screw
the contrast (picture ) to max same thing with the backlight .they are way to low out of the box !
you might want to do that in all the modes as well some of the other settings esp. gamma in each mode and each input
I leave the color temp at vivid is sports mode for effect but I usually don't use it, tweaked Cinema is usually the best on a Sony

The Cinema mode /scene select will turn off all the other advanced settings crap you don't need for a good picture

Best to set color temp at neutral in most modes and particularly Cinema Sonys like to push red if you don't (been that way forever ) and some blues can take on a lavender tint and it can otherwise skew the yellows ,greens and magenta ,
set it too cool and it pushes blue like a Cheap Emerson, Dynex or Westinghouse at WM or Target in store or torch mode !

Advanced settings Cine motion should be auto though thats your 3:2 pull down for 24p film content (movies )
In advanced settings Gamma at +2 usually helps with picture detail on Sonys also

Fageet about any motion settings or blinking back lights /edge lights or frame dimming

I would keep the brightness and color saturation about 50-55 no more than 60 on either one otherwise excessive brightness you will kill your blacks and thus contrast and might lose detail and see blooming and/ or a washed out picture excessive color saturation skews the colors and kills picture detail .

Sharpness on a Sony with a VA panel probably about 17 most other sets a lot less .

contrary to popular wisdom contrast sets white levels and Brightness sets black levels no lie !

Oh in the screen setting menu set your screen pixel mapping @1:1 (full pixel very important ) ,auto wide ON ,4:3 default OFF ,Auto Display area OFF very important !

Note : if full pixel is not right your brand new 1080p set is suddenly a 720p set no matter what the display info banner says no lie !
Brilliant, thank you so much for this So don't touch the service menu then? :P

That's like telling someone not to press the red button
post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Brilliant, thank you so much for this So don't touch the service menu then? :P

That's like telling someone not to press the red button
I wouldn't although I have but I've screwing around with this kinda stuff for over 40 yrs and computers for almost 30 yrs .

There are no CMS (color management systems ) in the service menu on your set anyway and sometimes these things react very badly to getting poked the wrong way in the service menu as in they can turn into a useless brick in a hurry and not be fixable . Besides you have to know the codes specific to that model to get in there you can't do it inadvertently.

Hopefully these settings will work things like pushing red on warm color temp are common to almost every Somy made since and in the CRT days I know these setting should at the least get you to third base if not home plate ,if not there is a reset option in each picture or scene mode.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ignoring the size , is this tv better qualityhttp://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/9158805.htm
post #13 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Nvm, it's edge lit
tubetwister likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-05-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nvm, it's edge lit
Probably a wise decision unless it is a Sony 8X . those seem to be pretty good .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page