Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio M Series vs Seiki 4k

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a dilemma. Contemplating between the Vizio M Series vs the Seiki 4k.

I realize the comparison is kind of apples to oranges, but I can help make it easier to pick:
  • I just want the nicest picture. I like the look of the bright LEDs and I like it to display deep blacks (at least as deep as the blacks can get on a LED on my budget).
  • I want a decent viewing angle.
  • I don't especially care for the higher resolution of 4k (won't be taking much advantage of it, except when connected to the PC... Maybe in a few years when more content comes out? Future-proof? Eh, I dunno).
  • I don't care for any Smart TV features (I'd hook this up to something that would make those features obsolete).
  • I don't care which has better sound, since I'll be connecting it to external speakers.

In terms of picture (we can think of the Seiki as a 1080p 60hz TV, if it helps) which do you think would be better? Assume the price is identical, please. I'll be getting either one for $400.

I realize I should look at them both in person, but it's not possible (unless I buy both and return, but meh).

Ideas, recommendations, suggestions?

Thanks, much appreciated!

-Maestro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The m series your looking at is a 50" and so is the seiki if I'm correct. I would just wait for the vizio p series if your not in a rush it should be better than atleast the seiki. It's msrp is 999 maybe lower on release. At least you will have everything you want and be future proof somewhat with 4k.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
The m series your looking at is a 50" and so is the seiki if I'm correct. I would just wait for the vizio p series if your not in a rush it should be better than atleast the seiki. It's msrp is 999 maybe lower on release. At least you will have everything you want and be future proof somewhat with 4k.
Yes! Both 50". Sorry, should have specified that. It's VIZIO M501d-A2R 50-Inch vs Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD

Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea waiting for the P Series, which I've contemplated. But the P Series would be at over twice the price ($999 vs $400). Only way I could go this route would be to wait out a couple years till they drop to 500ish, but by then the next best thing will be around the corner yet again =(

I'm leaning toward the Vizio, based off reviews on CNET, but still not 100% convinced. Their review is with Seiki costing $1,300, so they are comparing it with higher end TVs. I'm sure it would fare a lot better at $400.

-Maestro

Last edited by Maestro24; 07-04-2014 at 08:21 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro24 View Post
Yes! Both 50". Sorry, should have specified that. It's VIZIO M501d-A2R 50-Inch vs Seiki SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD

Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea waiting for the P Series, which I've contemplated. But the P Series would be at over twice the price ($999 vs $400). Only way I could go this route would be to wait out a couple years till they drop to 500ish, but by then the next best thing will be around the corner yet again =(

I'm leaning toward the Vizio, based off reviews on CNET, but still not 100% convinced.

-Maestro
The thing with vizio is that they don't mark down like the others they may drop 50 bucks or so intitally but some drop more it depends just not by a whole lot. My m55 from last years model was 1200msrp I paid 1000 for it. If you can get a m series for 400 bucks go for it because I don't think the 4k on the seiki is of any benefit.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had that exact Seiki since it was released last year. It has broken twice, I'm on my 3rd set. The picture is subjective and from far enough away about any HD will do. However after having spent time with last years award winning Panasonic plasma from CNET the Seiki has bad picture quality. It also has an overscan that can not be fixed without entering the service menu each time. Based on lots of reviews the Seiki is bad and Vizio has been producing better quality picture this year. 4k games look great but is limited to 30 frames per second or Hz. Also it does not have h.265 the new encoding to watch 4k Netflix. Now I have the LG 4k 2014 model and it is marginally better but I will be exchanging it for the Vizio if reviewed well or will pay for a sony or Samsung. It sounds like you are strict with your budget so I would not worry much about 4k, it is better but not as good as dvd to blu ray good. Also PC games at 4k require a $1000 computer or more. My graphics card alone was 1100.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumadisaster View Post
I have had that exact Seiki since it was released last year. It has broken twice, I'm on my 3rd set. The picture is subjective and from far enough away about any HD will do. However after having spent time with last years award winning Panasonic plasma from CNET the Seiki has bad picture quality. It also has an overscan that can not be fixed without entering the service menu each time. Based on lots of reviews the Seiki is bad and Vizio has been producing better quality picture this year. 4k games look great but is limited to 30 frames per second or Hz. Also it does not have h.265 the new encoding to watch 4k Netflix. Now I have the LG 4k 2014 model and it is marginally better but I will be exchanging it for the Vizio if reviewed well or will pay for a sony or Samsung. It sounds like you are strict with your budget so I would not worry much about 4k, it is better but not as good as dvd to blu ray good. Also PC games at 4k require a $1000 computer or more. My graphics card alone was 1100.
Thanks, Trauma! I have a good custom built PC, but the video card is getting dated! I'm happy you gave your opinion and experiences with the Seiki. I'm pretty much set on the Vizio 2013 M Series now. I'll have 90 days return window too, so I'll keep my eyes open just in case any other deals pop up.

If anyone else wants to chime in their 2 cents, feel free

Last edited by Maestro24; 07-04-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm. Just noticed the 2014 E-Series is near the same price as the 2013 M-Series in the size I am going for ~50-55in.

Which would fare better in picture quality?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page