42" TV for a picky viewer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
42" TV for a picky viewer

I currently have the Sony KDL-47W805, which is being returned and refunded. My first set that had 3D issues, they replaced that with my current set, that has a dull patch that covers 20% of the screen starting from the right edge. They no longer make this set, so they offered me a KDL50W829BBU, which I rejected because I don't want active 3D on my TV, or a TV of that size. I have an Epson TW6000W projector with active 3D, and that is where all my film watching is done. So as a result, they have chosen to refund me the full price I paid.

So to cover a few of the required details:

Budget: As close to £600 as possible. (They are refunding £879 for my current set, so a £600 TV would leave me almost enough to get a next-gen console, if I decide to get one)
Viewing distance: I view from approximately 13 feet, directly in front of the TV.
Source and use: I watch mainly TV shows on DVD, or Blu Ray if a show has been released on Blu Ray. I don't have Sky, but I do have a motorized satellite that supports HD and 3D. I do have a PS3 and am considering a next-gen console (but not definite). I also have a WDLiveTV for streaming music videos and TV shows from my NAS. 3D is used for casual content, PS3 games, images I create myself etc... never films. Smart features are irrelevant, because I use absolutely none of the streaming services, and never will. The shows I stream are from my own DVDs. I do also have a PC connected to it, but it is mainly a server for my website and email, but also holds copies of all my digital media as a secondary streaming source.
Size and placement: 47" is the biggest set I can fit in the space I have, but I am considering going back to 42". I don't mind a smaller set, because it means I appreciate my projector more when I use it. My TV is sat in a bay window, but I have blackout lined curtains up for my PJ anyway. I very rarely watch with both curtains open, and most of the time, they are both almost closed. I live alone and get no visitors, so it is just me watching the set.
Room Lighting: When it's not daytime, my room has a pair of dimmable lamps as lighting. One directly behind the set, and the other off to my right in the corner of the room.

My biggest problem, is that I am a professional computer artist, and I can spot the slightest problem very easily. Once I have spotted it, I can't not see it. It took me four goes at a projector screen to get one that was right, and I'm already two TVs into a TV upgrade. Panel uniformity is crucial, as is minimal backlight bleed, although I accept that those are hard to base a choice on, because no two panels are the same.

I don't trust Samsung products, because everything I have owned from Samsung, has failed. I wouldn't trust their support team with an empty box. They actually managed to turn my 16GB Samsung phone, into an 8GB one... they're useless. I don't really trust Sony, especially based on my current TV, and the Xperia Tablet Z that is currently being repaired. My only real contender at this point, is the Panasonic Viera TX-L42ET60B. I did also consider the Sony KDL-42W829B, because it comes with a free Blu Ray player that I can sell to get some money back, but I am having a hard time convincing myself to buy another Sony TV. Trying to find reviews is hard for this size set, because the review sites all seem to want to review 50" or bigger, because that's what is popular these days. But given the tech differences that usually exist between 50" and smaller sets, you can't base a decision on reviews of a different sized screen.

So, does anyone have any opinions on my potential choices, or have other options they think I should consider?