Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
XBR55X850A - does no H.265 matter? and sony 65w850a / vizeo P

Hello Everyone,

I have been looking for a new TV and am considering the XBR55X850A. I have read that many people were worried about connectivity and future 4k support as H.265 is emerging as the new standard for 4k media distribution (Netflix has adopted it for 4k) and that this TV lacks H.265 decoding capabilities. Could anyone please answer these questions:

1) If I am not concerned with using built in apps such as Netflix, does it matter if this TV can decode H.265?

2) If I connect a H.265 capable device such as a HTPC to this TV, would it solve the content problem?

It seems to me that If the answers are yes and yes, then this TV would be a great choice to be ready for 4K. If the answers are no and no, then I may purchase the sony-65w850a.

Having said that, I am stuck deciding between this, the sony-65w850a that keeps going on sale, and the upcoming Vizio P series. Please feel free to give me any advice on that decision as well (or other recommendations).

Thank you!

Last edited by bigdaikon; 07-05-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: formating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 25
W850a vs x850a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaikon View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been looking for a new TV and am considering the XBR55X850A. I have read that many people were worried about connectivity and future 4k support as H.265 is emerging as the new standard for 4k media distribution (Netflix has adopted it for 4k) and that this TV lacks H.265 decoding capabilities. Could anyone please answer these questions:

1) If I am not concerned with using built in apps such as Netflix, does it matter if this TV can decode H.265?

2) If I connect a H.265 capable device such as a HTPC to this TV, would it solve the content problem?

It seems to me that If the answers are yes and yes, then this TV would be a great choice to be ready for 4K. If the answers are no and no, then I may purchase the sony-65w850a.

Having said that, I am stuck deciding between this, the sony-65w850a that keeps going on sale, and the upcoming Vizio P series. Please feel free to give me any advice on that decision as well (or other recommendations).

Thank you!
I currently. Own the w850a and I am on my third one for problems like shadow crescents, banding and motion floe judder. I am thinking of going with the x850a. Based on my reading it appears to have fewer problems and it is future proof being that it is 4k.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-05-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I currently. Own the w850a and I am on my third one for problems like shadow crescents, banding and motion floe judder. I am thinking of going with the x850a. Based on my reading it appears to have fewer problems and it is future proof being that it is 4k.

Third one! Yikes!

Do the problems present themselves when watching content or only on grey screens? I am wondering as in the w850a threads I saw some nasty pictures with solid color screens, however, people then go on to say that they love their sets and durring video playback they do not notice problems.

Thank you for your advice/ help!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Third one! Yikes!

Do the problems present themselves when watching content or only on grey screens? I am wondering as in the w850a threads I saw some nasty pictures with solid color screens, however, people then go on to say that they love their sets and durring video playback they do not notice problems.

Thank you for your advice/ help!
It is the panel lottery. Depend on the one you get if you can see it on regular programming or not. Some get a good one and others do not. I have not been lucky. Sony is out of stock on the 65w850A so they offered the replacement model KDL65w950b with the wedge design. I had the chance to look at it in detail at a store this weekend and it looked very good. Had better colors and great detail. The blacks were not as inky black like the w850A but still very good. Saw the TV in a darken room and the letterbox black bars look very black and the night scenes looked good. Sony this year is using on alot of their TV's (4K and 1080P) an IPS panel from LG which is known for their great colors, brightness but have a lesser contrast and black level when compared to the SP-VA panels previously used by SONY. Sony is using a special circuit to enhance the brightness and blacks (contrast) which offers a great picture.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
I get the intention of your questions, though I think you asked them the wrong way.

1) In short. No. If you're not concerned with using the built in apps, then hardware H.265 decoding in the TV hardware doesn't matter. The only reason the TV would need H.265 included in it's hardware is so that it could decode a HEVC H.265 codec without the help of another device.

2) The "content problem" is that there isn't a lot of it, it's not so much a hardware issue. It's an issue that is up to the movie and television content companies to solve, not the tv manufacturers, but i know what you're asking. In terms of actually playing 4k content on your tv, yes, hooking up an external H.265 capable device would allow you to play H.265 encoded material, as the x850a has HDMI 2.0 ports, and is a full 4K TV. But as of now, you can't use an HTPC to do it, because there are no graphics cards that support HDMI 2.0 out right now, which is what you need to output a 4K @ 60fps and full 4k performance. There are also very few graphics cards that even have the power to support a smooth 4k video -- they are all expensive, most of them are coming later this year.

The x850a has no connection issues; you can connect any 4K player to it and it will work perfectly, it just doesn't have h.265 support on board. The problem people were having is if they want to worry about hooking up an external box instead of having it built it.

----

That said, if you're looking for a 4K TV, the X850a is a great one. I own two, and in my opinon it has the best color, black levels, contrast, and dynamic range of any 4k tv out. It's the best bang for buck deal you'll get, if you're in the market for 4k. Also, the W850a is a 1080p tv, not 4K, so they really shouldn't be compared, they're completely different panels, even though they share technology with each other (Triluminous, local dimming).

The Vizio P series is highly anticpated, but is a huge x factor; the pricing will be killer, but it remains to be seen if they hit the same quality mark as the other manufacturers.

Last edited by sterlingsanders; 07-18-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm a relative newb but I bought a x850a over the 850b for a few reasons.

I think the importance of built-in H.265 is overhyped, especially for 4k content. early feedback from many people is that streamed 4k content from netflix not that great and it makes sense. Fitting 4k into 15mbps requires a LOT of compression. look at it this way. Sony is saying their 1TB media player can hold 20 movies. assuming your average 2hr movie, that means 25gb per movie hour. that translates into roughly 50mbps compared to 15mbps from netflix. With lossy compression, that means video information you're losing. So if you really want quality 4k content, you need a local storage medium, be it a hard drive or a disc. Streaming 4k seems like a gimmick to me.

Somebody will come out with a streaming device in the not-too-distant future and you can get the x10 if you want it now.

Now, the 850a only has one input that is HDCP 2.2 compatible while the 2014 sets have 2 (I previously thought it was one). So if you wind up having more than one 4k source, you'll need some sort of HDMI switch but that's not a big deal. The big unknown for me is how the x10 will play with HDMI switches since it's only compatible with Sony TV's

Now, down to the most important thing - picture quality. From a completely intuition standpoint, I think the 850a will have a better picture. Remember, when the 850a came out it was a $6,000 TV. the 850b has a much lower retail price. Sure, equipment gets cheaper over time, but there is evidence of cost cutting anyway - frame dimming rather than "local" edge dimming. And I'd wager that moving from QD triluminous to their own solution was a way to cut costs and not have to pay somebody. As to IPS vs A-MVA, each has its advantages, but the black levels on the 850a are pretty stunning.

This could all be me justifying my purchase in my mind, but the way I looked at it - I can get a better display and the X10 for the cost of the new model, have Netflix streaming if that matters, and have access to Sony's 4k movie rentals.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k uhd , 65W850A , H.265 , vizio p series , XBR55X850A
Gear in this thread - H.265 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page