Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung HU8550 v. Samsung F8500

Hi all:

The 65" Samsung HU8550 LED 4K TV is $3300. The 60" Samsung F8500 Plasma TV + Best Buy 5-year warranty (to cover IR/burn-in) is $3000.

I watch sports ~ 5 hours / week and movies / TV ~ 5 hours / week. I play video games about 2 hours / month. I have a 15x12 living space with an L-shaped sofa in a bright room, but tend to watch TV only at night. Why be inside during the day?

What TV do folks recommend???

**I feel like this specific TV comparison is one a lot of folks are making right now (i.e. 4K LED v. top-of-the-line 1080p plasma) -- I've read a few threads, but wanted more reaction.

Thanks!

By the way, the reason I'm comparing the 65" LED to the 60" plasma is because both are the largest TVs in their respective category (within Samsung's lines) that will fit on my 57" wide entertainment stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best thing to do would be to see both sets on display @ best buy.
I had just done that yesterday, and must say that I was not at all impressed with the F8500
I had very high hopes for it, based on all the hype in the forums/pro reviewers.

The magnolia staff were nice enough to give me the remote to play around with the F8500.
I had spent 10 min trying to get the brightness & black levels to that talked-about level.

Using dynamic mode & 20 cell light, I had finally got it to look decent. BUT it was still not 1/2 as bright as the HU8550, and exhibited a slight flicker that was very annoying.
(This was in a rather dark room)
Also, the vertical viewing angle is rather weak. If you're sitting & watching it @ eye-level, the image quickly degrades as you start to get up.

The black levels/contrast looked surprisingly good on the HU8550.
Mind you, it was in a very bright room set to torch mode, but it seems like it'd do just as well in a dark room with a the backlight turned down.
Of course, as soon as you see a 50" 4K screen vs a 50" HD screen.....you're tempted to go 4K & never look back!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - HU8550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page