Living room tv! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Living room tv!

Hi. I'm lookiing for a 500-700$ living room tv for me and my friends in my apartment. I know that's not much but it's what I have right now, my buddy is contributing a 10.2 surround sound system so i'm hoping to get a good tv for this price.

So far i've seen the vizio e500-b1 which is a 50" smart tv for 530$ but i'm open to suggestions as I know vizio isnt the best brand.

Also I learned about 1080p24 playback recently so I would probably use my laptop for blurays with the tv to get close to 24p. I do have a ps3 aswell though.

Will be sitting 10ft back. sometimes 8ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm very happy with my Vizio E550i-B2. Usually easy to find for $699 or so. A coupon deal would probably cover your local sales taxes. I got mine through Amazon, with free delivery and no tax at the time.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by renji1337 View Post
Hi. I'm lookiing for a 500-700$ living room tv for me and my friends in my apartment. I know that's not much but it's what I have right now, my buddy is contributing a 10.2 surround sound system so i'm hoping to get a good tv for this price.

So far i've seen the vizio e500-b1 which is a 50" smart tv for 530$ but i'm open to suggestions as I know vizio isnt the best brand.

Also I learned about 1080p24 playback recently so I would probably use my laptop for blurays with the tv to get close to 24p. I do have a ps3 aswell though.

Will be sitting 10ft back. sometimes 8ft
If you want a real TV this Toshiba 50L2400U 50" 1080P LED HD TV @ $559.00 (or it's cheaper relative $529.00 @ BB) should fill the bill within your budget (they score an AVG of 4.7 with consumers that's very high) or the Sony 48W600B LED @ $649.00 or this Panasonic 50" LED on sale at best buy for $449.00

The Sony and Toshiba should have the best pictures . I have one of each brand (different models though )
other than my real TV (Samsung Plasma ) I've been buying only Sony (3) and Toshiba (3) for ~25 yrs good sets .
just bought one of each again in 2013/2014 excellent pictures no complaints.
I've seen 4 sets including the Visio,Sony and the 2 Toshiba haven't seen the Panny .
I like the Toshiba and Sony both should support 3:2 pulldown for 24P I know Sony does for sure.

BB consumer scores :Toshiba 50l2400/50l1400U score 4.7 at BB (high) Sony 4.5 (allowing for statistical variations and loons about the same )
Panasonic 3.8 albeit only 5 samples (not enough to make a judgement but low )
Of these sets Visio scores 4.1 out of 48 reviews at BB lower than Toshiba and Sony and significantly lower than Toshiba .

Most of the serious gear head (or is it TV head ) folks here including me don't pay much attention to Visio .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-09-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Tubetwister, that may have been true in the past, but this years FALD sets are a different story.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
From everything I have read the Sony 70 In has issues so does the samsumg with clouding . So the big names have issues to I think vizio has come along way
post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Tubetwister, that may have been true in the past, but this years FALD sets are a different story.

Depends on your point of view you know what's in those things ?
No premium Rubycon capacitors throughout inside like a Sony or Toshiba that's for sure.
albeit they are getting better maybe we will see something from the P and reference
high return rates and low consumer review scores on all the major shopping sites tell a different story.
No parts available for repairs on Vizio after sale no parts and service network or support.
I would like to know I could get a part 3 yrs down the road if I needed one .

Inexpensive FALD back lights can make an inferior panel look better than it is . eg,

2013 Sony KDL 40R450 Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 Samsung SPVA (no local dimming 50 LED back light )
2014 Vizio E480i-B2 Black 0.042 cd/m2 Contrast: 3405 : 1 unknown panel ( 12-16 ? local dimming Zones )
(not bad black level or contrast (for inexpensive LCD ) however a good panel can easily meet or exceed these levels without local dimming though )

Just pointing out there are better options with better pictures (and quality ) as renji1337 requested in the $500.00 -$700.00 price range .

3 Vizio fanboys so far and counting ☺☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-09-2014 at 06:17 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks tube for labeling me a fanboy, actually I'm just more open than most to offering alternative sets. It's funny I sure do have a lot of Samsung products at home for being a fanboy. Of course I've recommended Sony, Vizio, Samsung and Panasonic. So who am I a fanboy of ? Please I'll sit and wait while you continue to bring up old information. This is my last post on this as I don't like dragging down threads with personal attacks and BS.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
From everything I have read the Sony 70 In has issues so does the samsumg with clouding . So the big names have issues to I think vizio has come along way
Sony doesn't make the panel those issues are common to all the 70" sets only 2 suppliers in that size both have the occasional panel issues as do all large (over 65" ) LCD panels . Not too many DOA sets like you know who though .
all edge light panels can have issues unfortunately 70" is edge lit . Sony is using mostly AUO and Samsung panels now most are fine the 70" is the red headed stepchild ☺☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-09-2014 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Thanks tube for labeling me a fanboy, actually I'm just more open than most to offering alternative sets. It's funny I sure do have a lot of Samsung products at home for being a fanboy. Of course I've recommended Sony, Vizio, Samsung and Panasonic. So who am I a fanboy of ? Please I'll sit and wait while you continue to bring up old information. This is my last post on this as I don't like dragging down threads with personal attacks and BS.

re tubetwister
Same same cheap Vizio they just inexpensively added added some local dimming control circuits probably an ASIC and a few wires and software algorithms to already existing back light nothing truly remarkable there that using a better panel in the first place would not do much better !.

The poster stated specifically he did not want a Vizio but wanted what I would assume to be one of the usual suspect recognized top tier brands eg: Sony ,Toshiba.Panasonic .Samsung ,LG I pointed out 3 obviously better options than Vizio he does not want , not hard to understand .

I own Sony LED .Samsung PDP (my real TV) ,Toshiba.LED , LG LED. all (along with Panasonic ) are recognised in and by the industry as the leading top tier brands Vizio is not, again not hard to understand .

I never mentioned any names so how do you know for sure you are labeled ? I was just counting no harm in that

Good thing this is your last post on this particular subject because the poster I was responding to originally here specifically stated he did not want a Vizio so not much I can or care to add there no need to be rude here .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Living room tv!

Please show me where he said specifically he didn't want a Vizio.. his statement was he's heard around they are not the best, but is still looking for other options outside of the e50b that's he's selected.

Of course the e series was chosen over a 5300 plasma by Dave Katz, but I guess it's a crud TV right?

To the Op I would HiGHLY recommend going to see these sets in person and if possible playing some demo material. This way you can get a feel for which ever set you decide. Sony and Samsung make sets that fit your budget and since your not adverse to missing 3D you may want to look at the Samsung 5300 series as I believe it fits the too of your price range.

You must be used to dealing with some really slow people in your everyday life if they can't deduce 5-2=3.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked at some sets and its hard to pick lol, the vizio itself looked just as decent as the sony/samsung I saw.

mind you im going to be using this tv on a HTPC would it be possible to use my normal colorimeter for my pc monitors(a spyder4) and make an ICC profile for the tv? also are there any tv's with perfect 24p playback in my price range? if not I can make custom resolutions.

also I have a second question here if anyone knows it!

Gaming PC Monitor Outputs

Going to go look around on amazon and newegg at tv prices.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just looked at some sets and its hard to pick lol, the vizio itself looked just as decent as the sony/samsung I saw.

mind you im going to be using this tv on a HTPC would it be possible to use my normal colorimeter for my pc monitors(a spyder4) and make an ICC profile for the tv? also are there any tv's with perfect 24p playback in my price range? if not I can make custom resolutions.

I think it depends on which Spyder4 you have, but I could be wrong, Im not hat familiar with that line of colorimeters.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All HDTV via HDMI and Composite supports YCbCr 4:2:2 you can use YCbCr 4:4:4 (or even RGB sometimes) but the panel will receive the usual RGB after it is converted in the case of YCbCr XXX in the TV anyway so it will not see YCbCr 4:4:4. You can try to set up a custom *color *profile I don't know if the TV (or any TV ) will display it properly though maybe you know some websites or forums that can answer that otherwise YCbCr 4:2:2 should work fine you can set
different profiles from the GPU (s) to your monitors and TV anyway .

Some Game consoles including PS3 and 4 (and probably X bones ? ) and PC can support:4:4:4 and 0-255 RGB .

There are *some TV's* that can support 4:4:4 or 0-255 all the way to and including the panel
IOW if your TV panel and video board supports 4:4:4 and by implication RGB 0-255 all the way to and including the panel you can use it if not using it can degrade your picture depends on the TV .

Sony *should be closest in 24 P playback with Cine motion auto enabled
thats what it does . most leave it on . other sets may have something similar or not check the specs dawg .

custom resolutions won't work much on an HDTV much like they do on a PC monitor for the most part you are going to be using 1080p ( 1920x1080 (recommended ) 720p (1366x768 ) you *can use * 1440 x900 also not much beyond that will scale from a PC GPU or be recognized by the TV . HDMI 1.x supports *up to * 1080p/60 or 1080i/30 or 720p/60 /480p /480i 23.976 *should be OK also no more than that on a 2K set that's as good as it gets . You can use HDMI from PC to TV or DVI-D /HDMI

If you don't mind refurbished (most of the sets here are really brand new ) just out of the retail sales channel
maybe something like a slightly damaged box ,end of model year and the set inside fine (they test them ) I bought one from them it was new and tested saved a ton top rated plus seller .They have all the usual brands including Vizio most of the time.

Oh I've seen the FALD Vizio, a few of them (not bad for the money) Sony and Toshiba along with Samsung had better pictures (specifically accurate color + not crushing whites and blacks and fine shadow detail IMO.) better panels and Video Processing probably Sony ,Samsung,Toshiba ,LG and Panasonic all make their own Silicon and share that throne. others buy generic off shelf stuff . I don't buy what I read at cnet I buy what I see and also by past experience .
Old saying goes like this : "buy cheap twice ,buy good once "

Amazon is good watch out for Newegg on TV's cool for PC stuff not so hot for TV's poor TV return policies and refurb are poor quality sometimes The link above is good for refurb they sell about 1500 sets a month so they know what they are doing no tax free shipping + fast 5 days across the country .

You can use your Coloromiter and maybe something like a spears and munsil HD reference disc but that would calibrate it to ATSC Rec.709 . Maybe you can make an ICC profile with your Syder and whatever else you have in one of the modes but you will need a TV that lets you customise more than just one mode . Sony does that some other sets *may not * check the reviews about that some say some don't .

I actually went BB to buy a Sammy 5xxx at BB having seen one with a good panel there before but unfortunately one with the right panel (s) (we looked in back also ) was not to be had that's how I ended up with the Sony , in that case a better set

Samsung 53/5500 not bad at all if you win the Samsung panel lottery not so hot if you don't and get the wrong panel. If you can get one with one of the good panels they are very good .. real good you might even know it when you see one there is that much diff in the panels . I spotted it right away knew something was up .I would have been cool with one with the right panel . I had my panel codes with me also couldn't find any in the back.

, TBH Sammie 5XXX with a good panel... almost or virtually for the most part a dead heat with the Sony and that's a compliment because the Sony is that good.... ofc it has a Samsung panel and all ☺.

I spotted it right away (panel thing) knew something was up .I would have been cool with one with the right panel . I had my panel codes with me also couldn't find any in the back either .
Sometimes folks don't agree on everything but I think we found common ground on the Samsung
If you like the Vizio thats fine ............... your money after all .

I would still take the right xxf5300 Sammy plasma over the Vizio ,the Sammy 53/5500 (with the right panel ) also
(or lot of LCD short of a Sony 8.5 x or 9x ) any day except maybe in bright direct sunlight so would most others here that aren't LCD fanboy . Katzmier has an opinion doesn't mean it's always right
plenty of better reviewers out there he' s OK just not the best

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-12-2014 at 05:55 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
All HDTV via HDMI and Composite supports YCbCr 4:2:2 you can use YCbCr 4:4:4 (or even RGB sometimes) but the panel will receive the usual RGB after it is converted in the case of YCbCr XXX in the TV anyway so it will not see YCbCr 4:4:4. You can try to set up a custom *color *profile I don't know if the TV (or any TV ) will display it properly though maybe you know some websites or forums that can answer that .

Sony *should be closest in 24 P playback with Cine motion auto enabled
thats what it does . most leave it on . other sets may have something similar or not check the specs dawg .

custom resolutions won't work much on an HDTV much like they do on a PC monitor for the most part you are going to be using 1080p ( 1920x1080 (recommended ) 720p (1366x768 ) you *can use * 1440 x900 also not much beyond that will be recognized by the TV . HDMI 1.x supports *up to * 1080p/60 or 1080i/30 or 720p/60 /480p /480i no more than that on a 2K set that's as good as it gets .

If you don't mind refurbished (most of the sets here are really brand new ) just out of the retail sales channel
maybe something like a slightly damaged box ,end of model year and the set inside fine (they test them ) I bought one from them it was new and tested saved a ton top rated plus seller .They have all the usual brands including Vizio most of the time.

Oh I've seen the FALD Vizio, a few of them (not bad for the money) Sony and Toshiba along with Samsung had better pictures (specifically accurate color + not crushing whites and blacks and fine shadow detail IMO.) better panels and Video Processing probably Sony ,Samsung,Toshiba ,LG and Panasonic all make their own and share that throne others buy generic off shelf stuff . I don't buy what I read at cnet I buy what I see .

Amazon is good watch out for Newegg on TV's cool for PC stuff not so hot for TV's poor TV return policies and refurb are poor quality sometimes yhe link aboce is god for refurb thy sell about 1500 sets a month so they know what thy are doing . You can use your Coloromiter and something like a spears and munsil HD reference disc but that would calibrate it to ATSC Rec.709 . maybe you can make an ICC profile in one of the modes but you will need a TV that lets you customise more than just one mode . Sony does that some other sets *may not * check the reviews about that some say some don't .

Don't pay attention to the ruffled feathers here some folks always do that when they do not agree with something

hmm, will custom resolutions work at all? the TV itself will be hooked up to my computer just like a PC monitor, and i've heard of people creating custom resolutions for 23.976 playback

willing to stretch budget to 800$ as i can do 12month financing on newegg/amazon with no interest.

Last edited by renji1337; 07-09-2014 at 11:17 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hmm, will custom resolutions work at all? the TV itself will be hooked up to my computer just like a PC monitor, and i've heard of people creating custom resolutions for 23.976 playback

willing to stretch budget to 800$ as i can do 12 month financing on newegg/amazon with no interest.
re Tube twister
Problem is when you scale a let's say 16:9 or other aspect ratio to something different to another aspect ratio you can loose 1/2 resolution in a hurry. I just keep my Sony in Cinema mode it takes care of everything no mater what is on without intervention Same for Samsung PDP .

Ofc for Games (in Game mode Sony can't be beat ) Next good is Toshiba . Samsung LCD and others can have big lag time . No problem on PDP though. I haven't heard of Vizio being a gamer don't know but you can always research it .

You can playback at 16 x9 1080p/60 or 16x9 1080p / 24 or 23.976 for DVD Blue ray or hdd rips if originally 4:3
I usually just leave it alone but send same 1080p/16:9 to the panel anyway and watch it side bars and all the TV *should auto switch anyway unless it's a cheapie even those might do that now .

1080P is what the panel will ultimately see anyway if you scale to remove letter bars (or scale to much at all ) your 1080p can turn into a 720p in a hurry also this is the hard way IF you use VLC to play videos (it plays anything ) there are lots of options in there also not to mention a WMP skin if you like that .

I always play back in orig content aspect ratio but up scale DVD or 480p .ISO to 1080p 16 :9 while maintaining orig aspect ratio with GPU or upscaling playback device . PS3 is one of the best BD players around .

Actually Some TV (Sony and some others ) will sense 24P film content from HDMI and TV also and do that and/or 3:2 pulldown automatic for you no need to do it at PC , better HDTV are always looking at frames 2C what to do . I just keep my PC @ 1080P with minor scaling for screen fit and let the TV do it's job they are not as stupid as PC can be (can change on the fly ) most of the time they are very different but can do what they do well just nothing over 1080P /60.
on 2K set . True 120Hz 2K TV will repeat frames (smooths out judder/motion blur ) but still only support *up to* 1080P /60 . You can send 24p (or 23.96/p) it might work depends some DVD BD player can do that no big deal . I think only flies can resolve .4 frame rate difference anyway ha ha . I don't bother movies look fine

Important thing is to get a TV with best panel and video processing you can afford (and good scaler deinterlacer ) Sony,Samsung,Toshiba Panasonic ,LG are usually best . others are not as good at these things . Only thing is LG uses IPS panel not as much native contrast but the better ones (good video processing )can work fine I have one also it's not bad . Vizio is getting better 2014 M models are their best right now .

You can use at least 6 mo interst free Bill me later on Ebay ( they mostly all use the same Commerce bank instant activation also ) if you want to do something there some good deals to be had at Quick Ship Electronics

I would trust them more than Newegg on refurb TV . Amazon ofc is excellent hard to beat as long as you buy from them.ofc a lot of resellers there are fine also sometimes slow to ship though .

Quick Ship buy almost all new stuff or all new stuff in orig box thats how mine came but since they test them they sell them all as refurb they can sell broken ones to Shopjimmy.com for parts most are new not always the case with newegg refurb . .
. There is no way Quick ship can repair 1500 TV a mo. they don't have that many people mostly a warehouse good reputation though .
. BB price matches the bigger web sites (including Amazon now )

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-10-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page