Best large LCD TV for a former Plasma lover? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Best large LCD TV for a former Plasma lover?

Planning to get a 78-85” TV within the next two months (most likely 78-79 based on price point) and I have been closely following the 4K Samsung (HU9000 curved), Sony (900B), LG (UB9800) and Panasonic in their topics. None of the local stores have those sizes to see in-store yet but I have seen most in smaller sizes. But pre-calibrated store is not an optimal test of these sets as we all know.

Here’s the crux of my concern. From reading the fans of these sets in their topics, it’s hard to tell when the things they love about the set are things I would love or hate. For example, I HATE Soap Opera Effect (SOE). Completely ruins the picture for me and I would rather cling to a smaller screen than settle for it. I get that some people don’t mind it and that’s great for them. And many people have always owned LCD since going flat screen so it looks totally normal to them. And many people really like the super sharp-effect of LCD’s that give them a very HD-video-like look. This isn’t a debate about what’s better between plasma and LCD. To each their own.

But since I am someone who really like the particular look of a good plasma, who happens to want to get the image very close to what you perceive it as in the theater (and yes I have considered a projector, so don’t need any suggestions about that, thanks), my concern is can any of the high-end plasmas be calibrated to look very close to that or am I out of luck? Certainly none of these come close to it in the store. Sure you can get great demo material, which is mostly made to take advantage of the video-like sharp look anyway. But pop-in a Blu-ray and I immediately notice the difference. If this is something the sets can be calibrated away from and look very close to plasma, even if not quite as deep a black, GREAT. Plasma is dead, long live LCD.

So I’m curious, for the people who own any of these sets or have closely looked at them who are plasma fans, have you been able to get them to have a similar image? No sharpness processing, no sense of the blurred motion, etc.? I am far less concerned with minor blooming, even minor banding as trade-offs. It’s all about whether the image looks film-like or video-like.

If the answer is no, I am inclined to stick with a cheap 1080P large screen LCD and just suffer the picture for a few years until hopefully either OLED matures or LCD gets better, or I over time get used it the look. But if the answer is yes, it can look very similar and film-like, I’ll invest the significant extra money for one of these sets. It’s just hard to get the answer from those topics because many of the biggest proponents there like the video-look so what they love is not the same.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 23
79x900b
post #3 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
79x900b
Seems most plasma lovers enjoy the x900b. I own the hu9000 65 and love it. But I dont like plasma.

So you should really consider the sony.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Just audition the smaller size of same provided there's no panel lottery on the larger unit as spec's are identical though mother glass provider and 3D may differ on some.

I own four LED's and none have SOE unless I were to set them up for it. That's simply easily correctable.

Plasma Look? Hope not, unless it's lights out blacks is about the only improvement I'd ever want as I find the whites urinated on and/or dirty grayish, washed out with daytime viewing movies/gaming in a bright room useless.

If 65" isn't too small LG's OLED should be best of all worlds around September at a more affordable price whereas the 77" may need a title/mortgage.

Sharp will have second gen UD27 model around Sept also - 60"/70" but I wouldn't be surprised at an 80".

Vizio Ref series may someday become reality but so far is Vaporware for 2014 as they have yet to release a UHD panel desoite all the hype at CES 2014.

You may want to be patient through October unless you audition a winner in between.

If you want the Hybrid and reference model the LG OLED 65" may be the standard to satisfy the plasma blacks and close to perfection PQ without the deficiencies that destroy a plasma during daylight hours especially if you have tall windows facing south.
tubetwister likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Sony 79X900B or the Samsung 78HU900. I have not seen the larger Sony the Samsung looked very good to me. The other option is the Samsung 75HU8550, $3,000 cheaper than the Sony and no curve.

Waiting will introduce larger OLED 4K sets, I do not see LCD/LED getting much better, the technology has been around awhile it seems to have the same issues as 10 years ago.
Janibrewski likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Just audition the smaller size of same provided there's no panel lottery on the larger unit as spec's are identical though mother glass provider and 3D may differ on some.

I own four LED's and none have SOE unless I were to set them up for it. That's simply easily correctable.

Plasma Look? Hope not, unless it's lights out blacks is about the only improvement I'd ever want as I find the whites urinated on and/or dirty grayish, washed out with daytime viewing movies/gaming in a bright room useless.

If 65" isn't too small LG's OLED should be best of all worlds around September at a more affordable price whereas the 77" may need a title/mortgage.

Sharp will have second gen UD27 model around Sept also - 60"/70" but I wouldn't be surprised at an 80".

Vizio Ref series may someday become reality but so far is Vaporware for 2014 as they have yet to release a UHD panel desoite all the hype at CES 2014.

You may want to be patient through October unless you audition a winner in between.

If you want the Hybrid and reference model the LG OLED 65" may be the standard to satisfy the plasma blacks and close to perfection PQ without the deficiencies that destroy a plasma during daylight hours especially if you have tall windows facing south.
Thanks.

Again, not starting a debate on plasma versus LCD. I get that everyone has a favorite. You have long been a strong proponent for the LCD option and I respect that, but since you haven't been a fan of plasma it's hard to know if what you consider a great picture is the same as what I do. I have stood right next to people at the store completely enthralled with a high end LCD set that looks terrible to me. Neither of us are right or wrong, we just have different tastes. (For the record my main plasma is in a very bright sunroom-like family room with tall windows on 3-sides and looks just fine. That said, I really only care about the viewing conditions in the dark at night anyway -- this is the condition we watch 90% of the content that matters to us.)

I already have done in-store viewing of the smaller screens of those models and wasn't impressed. They all looked awesome playing their 4K demo material but none looked right to me playing a blu-ray. And I knew enough to turn off the motion (and other) enhancements (I played with it at various settings). Even with motion off, none of these looked quite film-like. Like anything, I think some people are more sensitive to some things than others. I must be particularly sensitive to that effect. That said, I also know these sets often look far off in the store versus well calibrated. Which is why I was asking if people who do love the plasma picture look and had calibrated these sets were comfortable they could get it to a very similar place as a plasma look. If so, awesome. I don't need the deepest plasma blacks -- I declined to get the last generation Kuru in favor of a less amazing but bigger and cheaper plasma with no regrets. So I'm not hardcore on black level, I just want that film-like image and no jarring motion effects.

(BTW, I am not totally sure with the Sony that the 79" will be effectively the same performance as the smaller panels. It is passive 3D instead of Active like the smaller ones which suggests they sourced a different panel tech.)
vinnie_RIP likes this.

Last edited by Citivas; 07-09-2014 at 05:07 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Sony 79X900B or the Samsung 78HU900. I have not seen the larger Sony the Samsung looked very good to me. The other option is the Samsung 75HU8550, $3,000 cheaper than the Sony and no curve.

Waiting will introduce larger OLED 4K sets, I do not see LCD/LED getting much better, the technology has been around awhile it seems to have the same issues as 10 years ago.
Thanks. 75" is too small. I'd be stretching to settle for 78". I am sampling an 80" now and it's okay but not as large as I'd like, but the 84"+ sets are a massive cost premium. I think I am up on all the models -- been checking out all the topics here daily for the last couple of months and usually attend CES, etc.

The core issue is I am not impressed with what I have seen in the stores playing blu-rays from the smaller screens of these models. Seeing if people who appreciate plasma think it gets pretty close once calibrated.

I think you have the Sony in your house. Do you consider the image plasma-like? Can you get it to where you see no edge-enhancement (SOE) effects at all and still not see motion blur in most cases? Does the image look film-like and not video-like for major motion picture blu-rays?
tubetwister likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Cleveland Plasma got their hands on 3 85" Panasonic Plasmas. Used, but with 3 year warranties. th-85pf12u for $4250.

tubetwister likes this.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #9 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Did. Not. Know. They made plasmas that large!

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-th-85pf12u/

Is that accurate? This is a $15,000 television?!

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #10 of 17 Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondjulian View Post
Did. Not. Know. They made plasmas that large!

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-th-85pf12u/

Is that accurate? This is a $15,000 television?!
Actually the list price was $30k. Electrozone says they have them for $15k, but i doubt it. They are a shady grey market retailer.

Amazon has them for $27k. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Prof.../dp/B002RL8I0Y

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I went from a Panasonic 65ST50 plasma to a Sony 2013 model 65S990A LCD with passive 3D tech and I love the Sony once calibrated as much as I loved the Panasonic that I sold with my home in California. I've also been able to spend some time with a friend's Panasonic 60VT60 and prefer the VT60 to the Sony, but not by a large margin. As far as 3D goes no plasma model I've seen is as good as the passive 3D of the Sony. I also still own a Panasonic 42S1 and that plasma though very good does not produce a picture as nice as the Sony for watching blu-rays.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony x850b, x900b, x950b

Yesterday I saw all of these displays next to each other. What struck me is how plasma like they are. As you go up in model number, the picture (contrast and color) gets incrementally a little better, although even the x850 was very impressive. If you want to get the best, remortgage the house and get the 85 inch x950. Although I saw the 65", it had the best picture I've even seen on a display, besting the Elite.
CJayB likes this.

Last edited by StockInv; 07-14-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
agree,As far as 3D goes no plasma model I've seen is as good as the passive 3D of the Sony. I also still own a Panasonic 42S1 and that plasma though very good does not produce a picture as nice as the Sony for watching blu-rays.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How do the lower end Sharp's compare at home after calibration vs the store? They don't hold up well in the store, especially with the Sony native 4k demo material. I don't like the blown out colors either, which seems to be marketed as a feature. To me, all the LCD's have an odd look to them, like I'm watching on fast forward except the movie isn't actually going any faster. Some are worse than others.

I sit 15' back, so wondering if I really need 4k, especially with so little real content. Not sure I want to drop $8k on a 79" TV either with OLED seemingly around the corner. The Sharp's are around $1500 for 70" and $3000 for 80". On paper they seem like a good holdover.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-13-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by licityndhat View Post
agree,As far as 3D goes no plasma model I've seen is as good as the passive 3D of the Sony. I also still own a Panasonic 42S1 and that plasma though very good does not produce a picture as nice as the Sony for watching blu-rays.
Most of the Sony's are active 3D this year and the one that is not, the 79" 900B, is being widely panned for terrible 3D. They outsourced the IPS panel from LG and it seems like this year's panel for both LG and SOny has terrible crosstalk.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've got the same dilemma, coming from a plasma and looking to buy an 80" (optimal size for my space) but don't know what to get. I'd go for the Sony 79" X90B for picture quality but can't justify the premium and find the side speakers completely unnecessary. I may just pull on the Sharp UQ and upgrade to 4k when it becomes fairly common (i.e. local broadcast, 4K blurays of popular titles - none of that catalog junk from the early days of blu). Any suggestions is greatly appreciated...

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #17 of 17 Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post
How do the lower end Sharp's compare at home after calibration vs the store? They don't hold up well in the store, especially with the Sony native 4k demo material. I don't like the blown out colors either, which seems to be marketed as a feature. To me, all the LCD's have an odd look to them, like I'm watching on fast forward except the movie isn't actually going any faster. Some are worse than others.

I sit 15' back, so wondering if I really need 4k, especially with so little real content. Not sure I want to drop $8k on a 79" TV either with OLED seemingly around the corner. The Sharp's are around $1500 for 70" and $3000 for 80". On paper they seem like a good holdover.
Agreed on your first point above - even applies to the Sharp high end panel. I was not impressed with the 80 UQ demoed in store - it had major "tearing" or moving objects seemed to leave a trail of "footprints" (not sure how to term it). I played around with some of the settings but could'nt fix it. At 240hz it had considerable SOE. I dropped it down to 120hz but still lacking - I was thinking it had to be the bluray player settings that messed up the film or some other settings I missed on the TV that over processed the picture.

I was also thinking of waiting for OLED, but for an affordable $5k 80" it'll take a 3-5 more years and I can't wait that long. Despite being disappointed in my 80UQ encounter (dismissing as probably something unusual for this set), I'm still interested in buying it...

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - (HU9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page