7Likes

post #31 of 85 Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
I agree with you 100% - I have too many 3D movies here as well. I wanted the Sony 70" 830B but CNET gave the 850B bad reviews for 3D. Now, that I actually know of someone that owns the set I have confidence in purchasing the 70" 830B. I prefer Active 3D to Passive 3D which I believe is on the Vizio's. Is there any clouding or radial banding on your set?
Yes, Vizio is passive.

No problems at all with my set. I've had it for 10 days now.

People say the 850B & 830B are the same, 850B for Best Buy and other stores, Costco gets the 830B. I disagree.... Yes and No. Yes Costco gets the 830B Sony, but... I really think the 830B is the newer version of the 850B because the 850B has been out for a few months and this 830B just showed up for the first time two weeks ago at Costco. As you saw yourself, Costco was featuring this set all by itself at the front entrance. So it is the newest and latest out. Plus there are no reviews out yet on the 830B.

It is a better looking set too as the 850B is all matt black, rather dull, whereas the 830B has chrome stands and brushed aluminum wedge on the sides. Really looks classy. I have a feeling the bugs were worked out on this model. So they changed the looks, they probably worked out the bugs too. Just saying...

Last edited by jack54; 07-22-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 214
The only bugs on the 70w850b is some radial banding for some and a bit of rather normal clouding associated with edge lit LCD's. Costco has been getting slightly different model numbers for years so I doubt Sony or anybody else could afford to actually manufacture a different set for Costco. Most of the later 70w850b's have an April build date so you might want to check that on the back of the set. As for the chrome and silver, that's a personal taste thing but I prefer the black for it's lack of reflectivity. The chrome stand on my 65w850a drove me nuts with its reflecting every light, natural or lamps in the room.
post #33 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
Yes, Vizio is passive.

No problems at all with my set. I've had it for 10 days now.

People say the 850B & 830B are the same, 850B for Best Buy and other stores, Costco gets the 830B. I disagree.... Yes and No. Yes Costco gets the 830B Sony, but... I really think the 830B is the newer version of the 850B because the 850B has been out for a few months and this 830B just showed up for the first time two weeks ago at Costco. As you saw yourself, Costco was featuring this set all by itself at the front entrance. So it is the newest and latest out. Plus there are no reviews out yet on the 830B.

It is a better looking set too as the 850B is all matt black, rather dull, whereas the 830B has chrome stands and brushed aluminum wedge on the sides. Really looks classy. I have a feeling the bugs were worked out on this model. So they changed the looks, they probably worked out the bugs too. Just saying...
Can you access the service menu to see what panel your set is using? To access it, first turn the tv off then on the remote quickly push display, 5, volume +, then power. It will bring up a little menu with green writing then on the bottom it will say PNL: and then list your panel model number. To exit push home.
post #34 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Costco in Alhambra, CA has had the 70" 830B for at least two months now and it is not a featured tv - at this location a Samsung 4K 75" is the featured set. Decisions, Best Buy has the 70" 850B for $1999 this week and not many locations near me have it in stock for store pickup. Costco does have the better return policy. The 830B at Costco in Alhambra, CA has radial banding and cloud spot on the top right corner - they are playing "Star Wars" on the set.
post #35 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Costco in Alhambra, CA has had the 70" 830B for at least two months now and it is not a featured tv - at this location a Samsung 4K 75" is the featured set. Decisions, Best Buy has the 70" 850B for $1999 this week and not many locations near me have it in stock for store pickup. Costco does have the better return policy. The 830B at Costco in Alhambra, CA has radial banding and cloud spot on the top right corner - they are playing "Star Wars" on the set.
California must get things before we do up here in Tacoma as the 830B just showed up two weeks ago. I know because I was eyeballing the Vizio 70" 3D and when it sold out, the Sony showed up.

Costco has a two year warranty, 90 day return, while Best Buy one year, 14 day return policy.
post #36 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Can you access the service menu to see what panel your set is using? To access it, first turn the tv off then on the remote quickly push display, 5, volume +, then power. It will bring up a little menu with green writing then on the bottom it will say PNL: and then list your panel model number. To exit push home.
PNL:ND4Y700LNX0101

OK what does that tell you?
post #37 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
California must get things before we do up here in Tacoma as the 830B just showed up two weeks ago. I know because I was eyeballing the Vizio 70" 3D and when it sold out, the Sony showed up.

Costco has a two year warranty, 90 day return, while Best Buy one year, 14 day return policy.
Awesome was not aware the set carried a 2 year warranty!!! I viewed pictures of your home theater setup and it does appear that the 70" is significantly larger then the 60". Does the 70" feel like you are in a movie theater? I sit about 6 feet away from my Sharp 60" and for the most part it feels like I am sitting in the theater except when I am watching 3D or Blu Rays that have letterbox. I too also came from a 50" Samsung Plasma so the cloudy and uneven blacks on my Sharp are my main complaints. Was there a firmware update for your tv? I have been reading the 850 has been receiving updates regularly.

I wonder if the 70" 830 has IPS Panel like the 70" 850B. Hopefully, someone will know more about the panel version you posted.
post #38 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
As for the chrome and silver, that's a personal taste thing but I prefer the black for it's lack of reflectivity. The chrome stand on my 65w850a drove me nuts with its reflecting every light, natural or lamps in the room.
Doesn't bother me a bit. Of course I keep the room pretty dark for best viewing most of the time, especially for movies and 3D shows.
post #39 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome was not aware the set carried a 2 year warranty!!! I viewed pictures of your home theater setup and it does appear that the 70" is significantly larger then the 60". Does the 70" feel like you are in a movie theater? I sit about 6 feet away from my Sharp 60" and for the most part it feels like I am sitting in the theater except when I am watching 3D or Blu Rays that have letterbox. I too also came from a 50" Samsung Plasma so the cloudy and uneven blacks on my Sharp are my main complaints. Was there a firmware update for your tv? I have been reading the 850 has been receiving updates regularly.

I wonder if the 70" 830 has IPS Panel like the 70" 850B. Hopefully, someone will know more about the panel version you posted.
I sit 8 feet away and it is plenty big. I imagine sitting 6 feet away would be more theater-like. However, sitting that close wouldn't look as good on non-1080i HD shows. Some of the older shows that I like to watch such as the 50-60's look best from 8 feet.

I got a firmware the same day I set it up.
post #40 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
PNL:ND4Y700LNX0101

OK what does that tell you?
It is a Samsung SPVA4 panel, 6-bit + frc, native 120hz. It is a very low end panel. If Sony is charging less than $2k for a 70" tv you can expect them to be cutting corners.
post #41 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
It is a Samsung SPVA4 panel, 6-bit + frc, native 120hz. It is a very low end panel. If Sony is charging less than $2k for a 70" tv you can expect them to be cutting corners.
WOW!!! Samsung panel!!! Any idea what panel the 70" 850B uses - I have read it is an IPS panel.
post #42 of 85 Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Cheap or not, Samsung makes good stuff. I have three Samsung HDTVs in the house, two Samsung notebooks and three Samsung phones, the latest being a S5.

Source and link to where you found that info please...

Last edited by jack54; 07-24-2014 at 12:26 AM. Reason: adding info
post #43 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WOW!!! Samsung panel!!! Any idea what panel the 70" 850B uses - I have read it is an IPS panel.

The 60" and 70" w850b both uses 120hz Samsung SPVA4 panels with 6-bit + frc. The w850b/w830b are identical as far as performance. If you are referring to the x850b (4k model), they all use IPS panels from LG.
post #44 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Cheap or not, Samsung makes good stuff. I have three Samsung HDTVs in the house, two Samsung notebooks and three Samsung phones, the latest being a S5.

Source and link to where you found that info please...
Slapping a band name on something does not make it "good stuff". In my experience, Samsung makes products as cheap and pretty as possible to maximize profit.
post #45 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Slapping a band name on something does not make it "good stuff". In my experience, Samsung makes products as cheap and pretty as possible to maximize profit.
Once again your wrong. Samsung makes good stuff... Like I said I have several Samsung items in my house now and many in the past years and never had a problem and happy with them.
My backup Plasma Samsung 60" 3D HDTV now in bedroom that I've had the past two years is a fantastic TV. Four other Samsung TV's/Monitors in the house are great.
That is "MY EXPERIENCE".

Also I asked where you got your info/links and you haven't backed up what you posted... yet.
I'm not saying your wrong there, but when you say things, back it up with info/links.
post #46 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once again your wrong. Samsung makes good stuff... Like I said I have several Samsung items in my house now and many in the past years and never had a problem and happy with them.
My backup Plasma Samsung 60" 3D HDTV now in bedroom that I've had the past two years is a fantastic TV. Four other Samsung TV's/Monitors in the house are great.
That is "MY EXPERIENCE".

Also I asked where you got your info/links and you haven't backed up what you posted... yet.
I'm not saying your wrong there, but when you say things, back it up with info/links.
My source for panel information is a non-internet source, so pasting a link is not possible. You can choose not to believe me, which is perfectly fine. As far as backing up my claim that the panel in the 60w850b and 70w850b (applies to w830b as well) is complete rubbish, look at these measurements: http://www.fullhd.gr/reviews/tv-rev/...55-review.html The panel achieves a 1400:1 contrast ratio. That is approaching IPS contrast performance, which is extremely poor. Then there is the under saturated colors. This tv only achieves 90% of the rec 709 color standard. Meanwhile Sony's other tv's can far exceed the rec 709 color gamut. And finally the poor viewing angles. My goal on these forums is to inform readers so they can make smart buying decisions. The Sony w850b/w830b is by far one of the worst tv's made by Sony in a long time. It uses cheap off the shelf parts and is being sold at a rip-off price. Again, believe what you want, as it doesn't change anything to me.
post #47 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My source for panel information is a non-internet source, so pasting a link is not possible. You can choose not to believe me, which is perfectly fine. As far as backing up my claim that the panel in the 60w850b and 70w850b (applies to w830b as well) is complete rubbish, look at these measurements: http://www.fullhd.gr/reviews/tv-rev/...55-review.html The panel achieves a 1400:1 contrast ratio. That is approaching IPS contrast performance, which is extremely poor. Then there is the under saturated colors. This tv only achieves 90% of the rec 709 color standard. Meanwhile Sony's other tv's can far exceed the rec 709 color gamut. And finally the poor viewing angles. My goal on these forums is to inform readers so they can make smart buying decisions. The Sony w850b/w830b is by far one of the worst tv's made by Sony in a long time. It uses cheap off the shelf parts and is being sold at a rip-off price. Again, believe what you want, as it doesn't change anything to me.
Well, I don't believe you. I believe what my eyes tell me and this TV is fantastic.
Since I'm semi retired, I have my TV's on at least 6-8 hours a day. I watch regular shows, HD shows, 3D, run my computer on it every day. This TV rocks... so quit putting it down.
Best one I've had yet and I get a brand new one every two years.
I'm sure there are better panels, but I'm not about to pay $2k for one when they don't even have hardly any 4K content out there. Waste of money.
Last thing... Samsung does NOT make junk.

Last edited by jack54; 07-24-2014 at 04:13 PM.
post #48 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Someone just sounds like a sony hater other then some banding issues haven't anything but good reviews on this tv and every review online is positive except for the 3d. So ya your word doesn't mean jack
jack54 likes this.
post #49 of 85 Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
For a cable box, you want to set it to "native". If this option does not exist, I would choose 720p. Why? Because 1080i is horrible compared to a progressive signal. If you set it to 1080i, your cable box will convert every 720p channel to 1080 interlaced. How well do you think a cable box converts a progressive 720 signal into a 1080i signal? Not very well. Then after this, your television will convert it back to a progressive signal. Not very smart.
What am I missing here? The TV is physically 1920x1080 pixels. So whatever signal source you feed it, the set will upconvert it to 1080p.
1080i is easy for the TV. 720p must be upconverted.
I would think that if you had to choose between selecting a 1080i or 720p output, I would choose 1080i.

The way I see it is if you set your output to 720p, all of your 1080i channels are going to be downrezzed by your cable/satellite box to 720p basically discarding half of the resolution. Then the TV will upconvert that 720p signal to 1080p. So your 1080i channels will have lost significant resolution. Your 720p channels will pass through the box untouched where the TV would then upconvert it to 1080p.

If you have the output set to 1080i, all of your 1080i channels are going to maintain their original resolution. 720p channels would get upconverted to 1080p.

So basically unless your sat/cable box is horrible at upconverting, I don't see why you'd choose 720p? (I can understand choosing native, though I don't do that)
I have tried native vs. 1080p on many different sets. (I own 18 HDTVs). I have yet to find a TV that does a significantly better job at upconverting a 720p signal over my satellite receivers. I have my sat receivers forced on 1080. I understand that my sat receiver (most of my receivers are DirecTV HR24 DVRs) might not do as good a job on the 720p channels, but I cannot stand how long it takes to change channels when my receiver is set to native. I can surf some serious channels. I want instant results when I change a channel. On native, I have to wait for the TV to "sync" to a different signal.

So, my question is, am I not understanding something? Admittedly it is late and I am tired, but I can't see any advantage to choosing 720p on your source. You are losing half the resolution on all of your 1080 channels which your TV cannot recover when it converts to 1080p.
jack54 likes this.

Dino
post #50 of 85 Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought this Sony from Costco to replace my Vizio VM60p which I loved for 7 years but it decided not to accept HDMI handshakes from my Cox Cable Box and my Denon 1913. I am having trouble getting the Sony to connect through my Denon it doesn't seem to passthrough hdmi signal either audio or video. I have my Cable Box going into the Denon along with my Sony Bluray player and then they connect to my Sony 70W830B through the ARC hdmi but they are not passing through the audio and video signal. Any ideas on how to deal with? Any help would be appreciated.
post #51 of 85 Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdrifter View Post
I just bought this Sony from Costco to replace my Vizio VM60p which I loved for 7 years but it decided not to accept HDMI handshakes from my Cox Cable Box and my Denon 1913. I am having trouble getting the Sony to connect through my Denon it doesn't seem to passthrough hdmi signal either audio or video. I have my Cable Box going into the Denon along with my Sony Bluray player and then they connect to my Sony 70W830B through the ARC hdmi but they are not passing through the audio and video signal. Any ideas on how to deal with? Any help would be appreciated.
Strange, mine works fine with the HDMI setup. Maybe check your Denon manual as I recall, when I had my Samsung 60" 3D HDTV, it took awhile to get it to work as there are LOT's of settings. Took me a couple days and asking questions here to finally get that to work. When I got the Sony, it worked fine without any changes. Maybe someone can chime in that knows the Denon over that the Receiver section as that is how I found out, going to the Pioneer receiver section two years ago.

Your Denon is different from my Pioneer, but on my Pioneer, I fixed one of the problems in the "Signal Selection". Yours may be different.

Last edited by jack54; 08-10-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: additions
post #52 of 85 Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM

The set is back to $1999 with $500 instant rebate!!!
post #53 of 85 Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The set is back to $1999 with $500 instant rebate!!!
That was how I bought mine three weeks ago.
Worth every penny!
post #54 of 85 Old 08-30-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

I bought this TV with football in mind being big Seahawk & Husky fan and I'm not disappointed!
In fact, I'm very happy with it now that I've watched a few games on it.
Watching the Husky / Hawaii game right now.
post #55 of 85 Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question

My wife just texted me a picture of this TV from our Costco. Looked it up and found this thread. I have a 52" Sharp and have no problems. But, I'm moving into a house twice the size and want a bigger TV for the Home Theater Loft.

I want at least a 65". I have no need for smart features or 3D. Is there a better model cheaper that doesn't have these?

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #56 of 85 Old 09-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just read this whole thread as well as the original 12 pager referencing the Sony KDL 70W850B. I was more aligned with the new Vizio P70 but still comparing sets. I have some serious concerns with this Sony KDL 70W830 from the radial banding and clouding perspective but may be things have been improved with this mfr lot for Costco? Any known differences in assembly or panel or other parts? There is now an even better deal at Costco...$1899.99 after $600 mfr rebate. I am tempted to say the least but really hate to get into returning a problem TV. The Vizio has its own issues (no 3D but that is not killer for me) and it is 4K although very little content currently available...and costs $2499.99. All comments are needed, thanks!
post #57 of 85 Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
Just read this whole thread as well as the original 12 pager referencing the Sony KDL 70W850B. I was more aligned with the new Vizio P70 but still comparing sets. I have some serious concerns with this Sony KDL 70W830 from the radial banding and clouding perspective but may be things have been improved with this mfr lot for Costco? Any known differences in assembly or panel or other parts? There is now an even better deal at Costco...$1899.99 after $600 mfr rebate. I am tempted to say the least but really hate to get into returning a problem TV. The Vizio has its own issues (no 3D but that is not killer for me) and it is 4K although very little content currently available...and costs $2499.99. All comments are needed, thanks!
I think this is a newer, updated version of the W850B as those came out early this year, whereas the first time I saw a W830B was at Costcos two months ago. I was after the Vizio P70 but none were in stock at the time. So I got the Sony. No banding or clouding on mine. Cosmetics are nicer with the chrome stands and brushed aluminum sides. I do get some mild crosstalk once in a while when watching 3D. Otherwise, this set is perfect. I don't know if that is from my 3D Blu Ray Player is outdated as it is a Samsung and over two years old now. I'm looking for a new Sony Player now.
post #58 of 85 Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
I have to disagree with you UFO. The Sony w850b/w830b is not Sonys worst tv in a long time. That honor goes to the Sony w950b. Now that tv was the biggest flop in years.

Quote:
Well, I don't believe you. I believe what my eyes tell me and this TV is fantastic.
Since I'm semi retired, I have my TV's on at least 6-8 hours a day. I watch regular shows, HD shows, 3D, run my computer on it every day. This TV rocks... so quit putting it down.
Best one I've had yet and I get a brand new one every two years.
I'm sure there are better panels, but I'm not about to pay $2k for one when they don't even have hardly any 4K content out there. Waste of money.
Last thing... Samsung does NOT make junk.
As long as you like your tv thats all that matters and I agree with you on the 4K thing....a waste of money.
jack54 likes this.
post #59 of 85 Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
All I know is that I own this tv (Costco version) and I have: zero light bleed, zero banding, no DSE and excellent overall uniformity. Watch a bluray and the black bars at the top and bottom are black.....no light bleed, no flashlighting. I also own the 900A from last year and this tv is very close (nice that it's 15inches bigger). The review of this model on rthings.com is very close to my experience. Watching the football game rt now and motion blur is virtually nil....maybe I just got a good one
jack54 likes this.

Kevin
post #60 of 85 Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey Guys,

Planning on upgrading my Sammy plasma 51" 720P in the living room for my kids (PC gaming (steam/origin), movies and watching sports (NHL mostly)) with w840b (Canadian BB) or w830b (Canadian Costco). Both offer chrome stands etc.
Today I was peaking at Best Buy and w840b with chrome stands had build date April if I'm not mistaken. I didn't notice any bending etc. Since w840b and w830b in Canada both come with chrome stands, do you guys recommend buying from Costco (to be on the safe side)?

BTW... can someone please share their settings for PC gaming?

Thanks...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page