AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-70W830B owners thread

24K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  jack54 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my Samsung 60" 3D HDTV for over two years... see my home theater setup in sig.... time to upgrade.

Got my Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W830B today from Costcos for $1,999, $500 rebate.
Got it setup in my living room and watched a few shows. Not bad at all out of the box.
I will experiment with settings tomorrow and post what I used that looks best.

Here are some pics of when I saw it at Costco and right before I purchased it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Still tinkering but here are the current settings that look good for a fairly dark room.

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Sony KDL-70W830B in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference.

Picture Mode: Cinema 1
Backlight: 3
Picture: 90
Brightness: 50
Color: 46
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Off
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Auto

Preferences
Scene Select: Cinema
Eco sub-menu
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off

#4 ·
Many of you may not know this... just because you have a 1080i HDTV, doesn't mean that is what your watching.
If you have a cable box, most are set to 720p! I checked my Motorola cable box and sure enough, set at 720p.

What you can do to check the settings on the cable box.
Turn the box off, but leave the TV set on.
Press the Menu button on the cable remote, and you will get a HD user settings menu.
The YPbPr option will be set at 720p, and you can change that to 1080i or the Native setting which is 1080i.

This explains why so many people buy the HDTV that looks so good in the showroom floor and when you get it home and it doesn't look as good. Also the showroom models have most of the settings on "max" too.

#9 ·
Like I said, I was after the Vizio, but not being in stock was a deal breaker.
I'm real glad I got the Sony.
Skin tones are very realistic, colors pop, crystal clear. Separate football, soccer, sports settings too! So far it has been a fantastic HDTV.
I like the brushed aluminum look too... sets it apart from the others.
Just be sure to go in a tweak the settings to get what you like. You have to do that with any brand you buy anyways as none are perfect out of the box.

#11 ·
Im really considering this set right now. I was too after a Vizio M. I was told by a sales rep that they had a 60'' M shipped to store for me and turns out they did not. But I believe they have the 830B's in stock at Best Buy so I could pick one up today and make my trip and fuel expenses worth while.

My only real question or concern is how the two compete with each other in terms of PQ.

#12 ·
Differences between the Sony KDL-70W850B & Sony KDL-70W830B ?
One I think Best buy sells the Sony KDL-70W850B & Costco sells the Sony KDL-70W850B.
Also I think the Sony KDL-70W850B is the latest model.
The Sony KDL-70W830B looks nicer as it has the chrome stand and brushed aluminum wedge on the sides,
Whereas the Sony KDL-70W850B is all black. Kinda dull.

These seem the same here:
KDL-70W850B/60W850B/50W850B
KDL-70W840B/60W840B/50W840B
KDL-70W830B/60W830B/50W830B
KDL-70W800B/60W800B/50W800B
https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL-50_60_70W800B_W830B_W840B_W850B_EN.pdf

#13 ·
Thanks for posting! This TV has made it to my short list (the W840B model through Best Buy in Canada, but it's the same TV as your W830B model). I'm comparing it with the 65" Sony W850A, the 65" Sony W950B, and (randomly) the 70" Sharp LE550.

How has the picture been treating you? Have you noticed any radial banding, milky blacks, etc.? They're apparently using an IPS panel on this model that sacrifices a bit of black & contrast for view angle and was just wondering if you have any complaints.

(Note, the only reason the Sharp is on my list is because the 70" Sony is $2899 while the 70" Sharp is only $1299. I know you get what you pay for, but that difference is insane.)

#14 ·
I looked at all the ones you were looking at and then some. I had my shortlist down to 2, the Vizio 70" 3D HDTV & the Sony 70" 3D HDTV, leaning toward the Vizio. The Sharp 3D HDTV looked great too, but was $600 more, a deal breaker. However since Best Buy and Costco didn't have the Vizio in stock I went with the Sony. Glad I did as it is not only a better looking TV, (brushed alum wedge & chrome stand legs) it has been flawless the week I've had it once I tweaked the settings, (see 2nd post). I haven't tried 3D yet, but will this weekend as I just got the new 3D Pompeii. I'll post my opinion on that once I see the movie.

#19 ·
OK, I wanted to watch a 3D movie I've seen on my old Samsung Plasma 3D HDTV and compare to this Sony, so I watched the IMAX Hubble 3D tonight. It looked great and seemed better to me than my Samsung Plasma 3D I had. I didn't see any ghosting or crosstalk.
I'm pleased what I saw... but I will watch 3D Pompeii tomorrow as that is the latest 3D movie out before making final conclusions. Watching 3D is sure a lot of fun on a good set.

#24 · (Edited)
I added 3 pics to my first post. I want to add that it was so new, it was the first HDTV you saw all by itself when you walked into the Costco store. It was their newest addition, so this particular Sony is the latest as I haven't seen one anywhere else. I had gone in looking for the Vizio 70 3D HDTV when I went down there. Saw this and changed my mind as they didn't have the Vizio anymore.

#25 ·
I saw this set at my local Costco yesterday in Montebello, CA the price has gone up - there is only a $300 rebate on it now bringing the cost to $2199. The set was also by itself and looked pretty good - I am contemplating replacing my 60" Sharp 3D LED TV for the 70" Sony but 70" did not look that much larger compared to the 60" and I saw the Samsung 75" or Vizio 80" sets but unfortunately they lack 3D and 3D is very important to me.

#32 ·
The only bugs on the 70w850b is some radial banding for some and a bit of rather normal clouding associated with edge lit LCD's. Costco has been getting slightly different model numbers for years so I doubt Sony or anybody else could afford to actually manufacture a different set for Costco. Most of the later 70w850b's have an April build date so you might want to check that on the back of the set. As for the chrome and silver, that's a personal taste thing but I prefer the black for it's lack of reflectivity. The chrome stand on my 65w850a drove me nuts with its reflecting every light, natural or lamps in the room.

#38 ·
As for the chrome and silver, that's a personal taste thing but I prefer the black for it's lack of reflectivity. The chrome stand on my 65w850a drove me nuts with its reflecting every light, natural or lamps in the room.
Doesn't bother me a bit. Of course I keep the room pretty dark for best viewing most of the time, especially for movies and 3D shows.

#34 ·
The Costco in Alhambra, CA has had the 70" 830B for at least two months now and it is not a featured tv - at this location a Samsung 4K 75" is the featured set. Decisions, Best Buy has the 70" 850B for $1999 this week and not many locations near me have it in stock for store pickup. Costco does have the better return policy. The 830B at Costco in Alhambra, CA has radial banding and cloud spot on the top right corner - they are playing "Star Wars" on the set.

#50 ·
I just bought this Sony from Costco to replace my Vizio VM60p which I loved for 7 years but it decided not to accept HDMI handshakes from my Cox Cable Box and my Denon 1913. I am having trouble getting the Sony to connect through my Denon it doesn't seem to passthrough hdmi signal either audio or video. I have my Cable Box going into the Denon along with my Sony Bluray player and then they connect to my Sony 70W830B through the ARC hdmi but they are not passing through the audio and video signal. Any ideas on how to deal with? Any help would be appreciated.

#51 · (Edited)
Strange, mine works fine with the HDMI setup. Maybe check your Denon manual as I recall, when I had my Samsung 60" 3D HDTV, it took awhile to get it to work as there are LOT's of settings. Took me a couple days and asking questions here to finally get that to work. When I got the Sony, it worked fine without any changes. Maybe someone can chime in that knows the Denon over that the Receiver section as that is how I found out, going to the Pioneer receiver section two years ago.

Your Denon is different from my Pioneer, but on my Pioneer, I fixed one of the problems in the "Signal Selection". Yours may be different.

#55 ·
My wife just texted me a picture of this TV from our Costco. Looked it up and found this thread. I have a 52" Sharp and have no problems. But, I'm moving into a house twice the size and want a bigger TV for the Home Theater Loft.

I want at least a 65". I have no need for smart features or 3D. Is there a better model cheaper that doesn't have these?

#56 ·
Just read this whole thread as well as the original 12 pager referencing the Sony KDL 70W850B. I was more aligned with the new Vizio P70 but still comparing sets. I have some serious concerns with this Sony KDL 70W830 from the radial banding and clouding perspective but may be things have been improved with this mfr lot for Costco? Any known differences in assembly or panel or other parts? There is now an even better deal at Costco...$1899.99 after $600 mfr rebate. I am tempted to say the least but really hate to get into returning a problem TV. The Vizio has its own issues (no 3D but that is not killer for me) and it is 4K although very little content currently available...and costs $2499.99. All comments are needed, thanks!

#57 ·
I think this is a newer, updated version of the W850B as those came out early this year, whereas the first time I saw a W830B was at Costcos two months ago. I was after the Vizio P70 but none were in stock at the time. So I got the Sony. No banding or clouding on mine. Cosmetics are nicer with the chrome stands and brushed aluminum sides. I do get some mild crosstalk once in a while when watching 3D. Otherwise, this set is perfect. I don't know if that is from my 3D Blu Ray Player is outdated as it is a Samsung and over two years old now. I'm looking for a new Sony Player now.

#59 ·
All I know is that I own this tv (Costco version) and I have: zero light bleed, zero banding, no DSE and excellent overall uniformity. Watch a bluray and the black bars at the top and bottom are black.....no light bleed, no flashlighting. I also own the 900A from last year and this tv is very close (nice that it's 15inches bigger). The review of this model on rthings.com is very close to my experience. Watching the football game rt now and motion blur is virtually nil....maybe I just got a good one:)

Reactions: jack54
#60 ·
Hey Guys,

Planning on upgrading my Sammy plasma 51" 720P in the living room for my kids (PC gaming (steam/origin), movies and watching sports (NHL mostly)) with w840b (Canadian BB) or w830b (Canadian Costco). Both offer chrome stands etc.
Today I was peaking at Best Buy and w840b with chrome stands had build date April if I'm not mistaken. I didn't notice any bending etc. Since w840b and w830b in Canada both come with chrome stands, do you guys recommend buying from Costco (to be on the safe side)?

BTW... can someone please share their settings for PC gaming?

Thanks...

#62 ·
Jack,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I went to local Costco and they had W840B with chrome stands. I checked the back of TV and the manufacturing date said Feb 2014, so it is older than one I spotted at Best Buy. I guess it depends how long were both units serving as demo on the floor. I have another legit local store which is advertising this tv for $450 less than Costco. (similar to price you paid in US from Costco). However 2 year warranty and 90 days return policy maybe it is worth $450 :).... I still needs to get WAF for it... LOL... Maybe we'll go with kids tonight to local Costco to check it out.

#63 ·
My W830B build date was March 2014, and I bought mine in July when I first saw them at Costco.
I think it takes a couple months to get from the factory to stores at least.

I couldn't see what build dates the W850B was at Best Buy was because they mounted them on the wall.
I haven't seen a W840B anywhere yet?

#64 ·
My W830B build date was March 2014, and I bought mine in July when I first saw them at Costco.
I think it takes a couple months to get from the factory to stores at least.

I couldn't see what build dates the W850B was at Best Buy was because they mounted them on the wall.
I haven't seen a W840B anywhere yet?
Jack, W840B might be Canadian model exclusive. I'm still waiting for my local shop to see if they have 70W840B for $1999 CDN in stock (the special ends October 2). If they do I will swing by Costco with my better half to show her the TV on the floor. I have usb stick with 1080p jpg to show different colors to see how uniform the screen is and if it suffers from radial bending.
The major problem I have is placement for this TV. It is supposed to replace my 51" 720p Sammy plasma in the living room. My worry is angle viewing as both sofas are not straight on and I'm afraid it could be a problem. This is generic LED limitation (not specific to this model only). One solution would be to move TV to the middle of the wall. Regardless I might have to change tv stand as the legs might be to large for it.

Out of curiosity did you compare this unit to 70 M Series and Sharp 70 EQ10U?

I don't want the best of the best, but something decent the kids can game 1080P PC games (steam/origin) and watch some movies/tv shows.
Myself I'm a projector guy (I use almost every night) and I have a 110" nice setup in my cave for a theater experiance. However I find kids/wife much prefer coziness of living room. If I knew 2 years ago that will be the case, I would invest money in 65" 1080P Panny plasma TV.

#67 ·
Can anyone tell me the current price for the KDL-70W830B at Costco? I'm not a member, so i can't see the price! I was thinking of getting it from there because of the 90 day return policy and 2 year warranty. My other option was the W850B from Amazon, which they currently have for $1866 plus free shipping..

#77 · (Edited)
As far as I can tell the W840B is the Canadian counterpart to the US W830B. They're both a slightly lower end model to the W850B. If you go to the Sony website and do a comparison between the W840B and the W850B, there are only a few differences that I can see:

1) W840B has slightly smaller dimensions
2) W850B is noticeably heavier
3) W840B has XR240 Motionflow, W850B has XR480 Motionflow
4) W840B has no powersaving modes

Is the XR240 vs XR480 a big deal? I don't even know what that means... Does it make a difference if Motionflow is turned off?

EDIT: Ok I just came across this thread on Motionflow XR: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1343952-motionflow-xr-240-480-960-a.html
Does this mean the W830B and W840B have 120Hz panels while the W850B has a 240Hz panel? This might explain why the W850B is slightly more expensive.

EDIT2: Even more confusing, Cnet lists the W850B as a 480hz panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.