AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-70W830B owners thread

24K views 118 replies 28 participants last post by  jack54 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my Samsung 60" 3D HDTV for over two years... see my home theater setup in sig.... time to upgrade.

Got my Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W830B today from Costcos for $1,999, $500 rebate.
Got it setup in my living room and watched a few shows. Not bad at all out of the box.
I will experiment with settings tomorrow and post what I used that looks best.

Here are some pics of when I saw it at Costco and right before I purchased it.

See less See more
#78 ·
Just called Sony. The W850B is a 120hz panel. They're unsure but believe that the W840B / W830B is also 120hz. Apparently Motionflow XR 240 vs XR 480 is a hardly noticeable difference, and with Motionflow off, they are identical.

If anyone knows for certain, let us know.

#80 ·
I just bought one of these from Costco and set it up. I notice a rectangular patch on the top right (next to the center) when the TV is switched off. I can see it only when viewing at certain angles. I havent been able to notice any issues when watching. Should i be worried?

Any info on this will be greatly appreciated. I still have time to return it.

#85 ·
Yes I'm happy with my 70W840 (Feb 2014) bought from Canadian Best Buy. It is not perfect and I do have a mild radial bending at wide angles, but nothing crazy.
The 2D picture was calibrated to your liking is excellent. I'm still tweaking options here and there, but I'm pretty much set. I'm still undecided when it comes to motion, I switch between cinema, normal and off. I liked using smooth on my 1080p 30FPS videos... the only problem it doesn't work too good with fast action (i.e. my kids running around).... LOL
My main source is htpc (win 8.1 w nivida gtx650ti... maybe gtx970 in the future :D) and use xbmc to watch movies/shows (cinema), steam/origin games (game) and nhl gamecenter xbmc addon (sports). Gaming on the set is a pleasure, no noticeable lag or blurring.... There is nothing like Street Fighter IV Arcade, Fifa or playing Need for Speed games on this monster TV.

#86 · (Edited)
Assessment

Now that I've had this Sony for over six months, here is my assessment:
1. Since I got the latest Sony 3D Player, the occasional 3D crosstalk went away.
2. No banding at all.
3. Football is TERRIFIC on this HDTV! (Big Seahawk fan and why I bought this HDTV)
4. HD shows look Terrific, crystal clear!
5. Anyone that comes to my place, (Christmas/New Years Parties, Football games) are impressed with this TV and they love the way it looks too with the silver and chrome trim on it.

No complaints at all... loving this Sony!

Back to watching Dallas at Green Bay... :D

#96 ·
Is the Playstation built into the Sony KDL-70W830B ?

Question 1. Is the Playstation built into the Sony KDL-70W830B and all I have to do is buy the Dualshock(R)3 Controller to use it?
Or do I have to buy a Playstation and pair it to the TV?

Question 2. If it is a YES above, then all I have to do is buy or rent the games online through the Sony KDL-70W830B ?

Question 3. Has anyone used this feature on the Sony KDL-70W830B?
What is your take on it?

#97 ·
9 year old rear projection Sony

Should I get go for an upgrade?
Bought my kds60a2000 new. Except for one bulb change early on, this TV has been and still is perfect. Never misses a beat. But, getting restless for an upgrade. Have a Sony sound bar and Bluray so want to stay with Sony. Do not want a 4k yet as I just don't think there is enough content out there but could get one if pic is that much better.
What about the KDL70w850? Would the picture be that much of an improvement or should I wait a couple of years for 4k?

#98 ·
Should I get go for an upgrade?
Bought my kds60a2000 new. Except for one bulb change early on, this TV has been and still is perfect. Never misses a beat. But, getting restless for an upgrade. Have a Sony sound bar and Bluray so want to stay with Sony. Do not want a 4k yet as I just don't think there is enough content out there but could get one if pic is that much better.
What about the KDL70w850? Would the picture be that much of an improvement or should I wait a couple of years for 4k?
I think you will see a big difference in the picture than your current one. I'm extremely happy with mine. I didn't see that much difference between the 4K and mine, (only difference would be if you sit closer to it... that's it) Stay away from the 850 as it seems to have problems from complaints on this forum. The 830 is newer and sold by Costcos and I've had no problems.
Plus Costcos has a 3 month no hassle return to store and 2 year warranty whereas the 850 has only 1 month return and 1 year warranty. You pick. ;)

#99 ·
Well I decided to get a new TV for the living room and I needed to go bigger than my current TV which is a 60" LG PB6600 plasma. I used to love plasma TV's but now I am just getting sick of the slight image retention and the glare so I'll be getting the 70W830B delivered in a few days. I do alot of gaming (PS4 and Xbox One) and this set has very low input lag so I cannot wait to game on it. Also I will finally have enough HDMI ports for all my equipment! The LG only has 3 HDMI ports. My current TV stand is designed for a 60" TV and I am pretty sure the Sony won't fit on it with the legs positioned at the corners of the TV which is the way it comes in the box. Jack - do you think it will be easy to reposition the feet by myself?

#107 ·
Picked up a 70w830b at Costco a couple of weeks back for $1,400 (display model). They threw in the Square Trade 5 year warranty for FREE! I guess it's something they do with all display models. I'm pretty happy for the most part. The slight clouding around the edges bothers me sometimes (I'm used to the picture perfect blacks from Plasmas). For the price and warranty, I think I got a pretty killer deal!

#108 ·
I also picked up this set about a week ago. I did go with the Square Trade warranty, but (for some dumb reason) didn't go with the white glove delivery. This set is about 100lbs! It's mounted on a MW mount I also got from Costco; it's the MW 125lb mount and is working well. My 5' wife and I had a bit of struggle to lift it up there though.

First impressions:
- Love it!
- Used the Disney WOW disk for some prelim minor tweaking, did not see any non-uniformity at all with all gray or any of the single color screens. No dead or wrong pixels, either.
- Wonder why they have it set to overscan from factory? Turned that off (so it's pixel mapped to the signal) and picture is visibly better.
- Tried 3D with Guardians of the Galaxy and Frozen. I bought 2 pairs of Samsung SSG-5150 to supplement the Sony glasses. Not only are Samsung glasses more comfortable, the 3D picture is much better! Not sure what's up with that...
- We have a smallish media room and the main seating area is about 11' away. IMHO, I'm glad I went with HD...and didn't spend 2x for UHD. Picture is VERY good.

:D

#112 ·
I picked up a 70" W850B a couple days ago (October 2014 build date), since Costco stopped carrying the 830's.

I have seen people mention Cinema 1 for picture mode, but i don't seem to have that mode on my TV...i used Custom and Jack54's picture settings and they look much better then the factory settings. Didnt get to spend much time with tv yet, but it looks great.

#113 ·
Where did you get it since Costco doesn't carry it anymore? I haven't seen it in Costco for awhile. Be sure to do the current updates... makes a difference. Plus, Samsung 3D glasses work better than the Sony ones... don't ask me why.

You won't regret getting this 3D HDTV... I've had mine 10 months now, watch at least 4 hours a day with nary a problem. Loving it!

#116 ·
My Sony is about a year old, purchased from Costco. The main source I use is DirecTV HR44 dvr. When watching hi-def programming like football on Sunday Ticket or other good quality feeds, the picture quality is excellent. However, certain programming, like advertisements (See the attached photos) or old movies, for example, show horizontal banding in the portions that are moving. I am not sure if that is a function of DirecTV, the TV, or some settings I may need to change. The banding only occurs with certain content and only with rapidly changing scenes -- it is not evident with low/slow changing scenes or quality sources, like Monday Night Football. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

#117 ·
I think it is mostly the old shows programming. I notice a lot of older shows that are not HD don't look so good, some downright bad. Not all of them though. I don't think it is the fault of the TV. All the HD shows are terrific.

I've had my Sony for a year and half now and still loving it. Watching Monday Night Football right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.