AVS Forum banner

**Official 2014 Vizio M652i-B2 owners thread

109K views 680 replies 137 participants last post by  ArtVandalay7 
#1 ·
Because the 2014 Vizio M652i-B2 uses a distinct panel from either the 60" or 70" 2014 M Series TVs, as well as the fact that the 2014 Vizio Mxxx owner's thread has become too long, I decided to start this thread to collect reviews, comments, questions and support regarding the M652i-B2.

The M652i-B2 has is now available (and with the full number of 32 local dimming zones :) and first owner's of this TV here on the Forum have started to materialize. Any user reviews from first owners of the M652i-B2 willing to share their impressions of this TV would be a great way to kick off the thread!

#2 ·
Looking forward to owner's opinions on this size in particular, especially in regards to the backlight vignetting which I know at least one person already said was not an issue on this size as opposed to the 60" which they also had for a while.

Looks like these are starting to roll out to Costco already so hopefully some user reviews start rolling in. With pics too! :)

#3 · (Edited)
Just ordered One from Best Buy and should have it by Wednesday. Hoping the recommended settings from CNET's 60" version will suffice for now:

---Picture settings menu---
Picture Mode: Custom 1
Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 45
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 64
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Motion Blur Reduction: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Picture Size: [no change]
Picture Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Wide: Normal

---Professional Picture submenu---
Color Tuner:
Red [Hue, Saturation, Brightness]: -50, -25, -45
Green: 10, 0, -10
Blue: -8, 0, -12
Cyan: 3, 0, -4
Magenta: 5, 0, -14
Yellow: 0, -16, 0

Red offset: 0
Red gain: -22
Green offset: 3
Green Gain: -3
Blue offset: -5
Blue gain: 0

11-point white balance:
[Gain amounts for red, green and blue]
5%: 10, -1, 1
10%: 16, 8, 39
20%: 3, 1, 24
30%: -8, -6, -7
40%: -24, -23, -6
50%: -48, -39, -31
60%: -50, -50, -36
70%: -50, -50, -34
80%: -50, -50, -39
90%: -42, -45, -50
100%: 0, -10, 0

#13 ·
I'll be interested if anyone else tried a DIY calibration of this set. In the CNET review of the M602i-B3, Katzmaier said the grayscale adjustments actually adjusted the level above it (5% adjusted 10%, 10% adjusted 20% and so on). I plan on doing a calibration when I get mine in a couple weeks, but it would be nice to know if the M652i-B2 faces the same challenges.

#15 · (Edited)
I've had mine (M652i B2) for about a week (from Amazon). Everyone is right, the CNET cal settings were just shy of terrible. I'll post the settings I'm using for now until one of the experts on this site post some others. So far I'm just not too impressed with the tv though
...The colors are vibrant if your only into colors!! I watch a lot of horror movies and am very disappointed thus far with the handling of the blacks and shadows. Does anyone have any idea how I can stop the backlighting from over lighting the areas on the screen as it moves from location to location? For instance if you have a black screen and single white credits are shown the area around the credits is lit up..not just the letters (the beginning of the move Darkness for instance) ? This gets pretty annoying watching the moving backlights go from zone to zone...I really wish it was more subtle. Anyhow here are the settings I'm using for cable tv right now

auto bright off
backlight 55
bright 45
contrast 68
color 41
tint -4
sharpness 16

Advanced
only the Active LED zones is on
color temp Normal

Professional
all 0

#16 · (Edited)
Hmm, seems like your having issues with blooming. It could possibly be made less severe with proper calibration, maybe with a lower backlight and/or brightness setting (maybe try the sound & vision settings with lower backlight and higher brightness to see if it helps the issue at all), but you'll probably always have some amount of that issue. May I ask what your previous TV set was?

#18 · (Edited)
Installed the TV last night and here are my first impressions. Calibration needed as it was way off. Colors really pop and the black was surprisingly better than my 6 yr old Samsung plasma. With all processing settings turned off, I did notice some noise/blur in fast action sequences so I might have to play around blur reduction or something but for now I left it all off. The smart TV is a joke. It's soooooo slow to load up the program albeit it's my first smart TV so I don't have much to compare it to other than my Xbox One Apps which were a lot quicker. Besides, I run all picture/sound from my X1 to the TV via my receiver which prohibits me from sending sound from the TV to the receiver. Result is audio from Smart TV apps restricted to the TV speakers only which are pretty bad but I expected that. I have a clean TV setup look with my wires buried in my wall so I'm not about to send an optical out from the TV to the receiver. If there was another way to send sound without additional wires, I would love to know.

I ran the S & M Calibration last night and came up with similar numbers. The biggest difference was Color & Tint. Wasn't sure how to calibrate Backlight so I left it at 45.

Auto Brightness Control: Off
Backlight: 45
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 64
Color: 45
Tint: -5
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced Picture submenu---
Color temperature: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Smooth Motion Effect: Off
Motion Blur Reduction: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off
Reduce Block Noise: Off
Picture Size: [no change]
Picture Position: [no change]
Film Mode: Auto
Wide: Normal

#343 ·
Apps to get 4K movies?

The smart TV is a joke. It's soooooo slow to load up the program albeit it's my first smart TV so I don't have much to compare it to. Result is audio from Smart TV apps restricted to the TV speakers only which are pretty bad but I expected that.
Curious if you can play the 4K movies that are on Netflix?

Is there a YouTube app? Can it play YouTube 4K movies?

I know other services will offer 4K movies in the next few months -- like Amazon Prime. Is there an app for Amazon Prime? For Vimeo? Is there a Browser so one can go to any site and get a 2K or 4K video?

Lastly, does it have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2?

#20 ·
Got mine straight from Vizio shortly after World Cup started. If you were keeping track of the 2014 M series thread, mine was one of the first models, and was F'd up with circular light bands that were all across the screen. Chock it up to a bad panel.

Finally, weeks later, my replacement has arrived, and I'm happy to say that this particular one looks perfect, and no signs of light bands.

I'm still debating about calibration, and NO -- don't bother using CNET settings, as they're useless and honestly horrible. I'm debating getting it calibrated professionally, but for now will stick to the basic calibration disc/software provided here (AVS HD 709).

On another note -- what do you guys think about input lag? I gotta be honest that I'm disappointed in it when in non-game mode, and when in game mode, it seems just OK. My 40" Samsung from 2007 has practically no input lag, and that's with Game Mode disabled (never even knew I had it til I bought this Vizio). The TV is unusable on vid games without game mode enabled.

Anyways, just something to note. Maybe this replacement is better, but I have my doubts. Guess I'll find out later.

#22 ·
Any comments on the glossiness / glare of the screen?
I ordered one online that is supposed to arrive soon, but recently saw last years model (A2) at costco and kind of got scared of how much glare there was on the screen. My room has a couple of big windows that are 90 degrees to the TV wall so I'm a little worried its going to be a problem.

#30 ·
Man, just when I thought I had finally gotten a working model without flaws. Yesterday the courier dropped off the replacement and picked up the old one.

After I got off work, I really played around with it to get my settings, only to find that the power button on the back left side of the unit doesn't work 2/3 of the time. This is getting ridiculous. How hard is it to make a TV that works?

Guess it's time to call Vizio yet again. I'm sure I'll get dragged through a 3wk replacement process once again.

#35 ·
I have had my 65 for about a week now from amazon. About 10" down from the top is a dark band which goes horizontal across the TV. it is about 8 inches wide and persists on all inputs. It is much easier to see with a white screen but is also noticable if it is a blue sky or anything really other than black. I also get allot of blooming currently but I am just now trying to calibrate with the disney BlueRay. I am on hold because I don't see how calibration will make a dark band go away. has anyone else heard of this? I have read both threads on the new vizios and do not see a similar problem. Any advice on if I have a bad panel?

#37 ·
CEC or the Audio Return Channel isn't working right no matter what I try but this seems to be a problem with all Vizios. While I can control volume to my Yamaha receiver with the Vizio remote, I can't seem to get audio from the TV apps to the receiver. Pretty sure it isn't the Yamaha either. Bummer because it renders the Smart platform useless and I'm not about to tear my wall down to get an optical in there.

#51 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share my thoughts. Just received and setup the TV last night (7/24). My previous TV was a Panasonic 58" v10 plasma. Overall, I'm very pleased with the TV. I had none of the quality control issues some of the other posters have mentioned, ordered mine from Amazon.

I think the screen is a little more reflective than my plasma (and a little more than I was expecting) but I have complete control over light sources in my TV room so it's not a big deal.

I was shocked by how good the black levels are. There's definitely blooming but it's only really noticeable on black backgrounds with white credits etc... Motion is also noticeably worse than my plasma but not horrible.

It's at it's worst in movies like Gravity (which still looks great btw, just can't match a plasma for detail in dark scenes). The detail in the stars in space is lacking and the motion blur is most obvious in these scenes.

I'm using a mixture of settings others in this page have mentioned...still waiting for someone on this thread to post some pro cal settings to try.

This may be off topic, but I have my vizio hooked up to a PC which I use for watching my blu ray rips, netflix, amazon prime, hulu etc... I noticed that if I use full RGB for the pixel format (ati 6550d) the blacks are crushed. If I change it to limited RGB, movies look great in xbmc but if I watch netflix through my pc and then watch it via vizios app, it looks just a little better through their app. Netflix on my pc looks slightly (very slight) washed out in comparison. The picture settings are exactly the same on both on the TV. Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions? I also tried the two YcbCr pixel settings and it seemed to look a little better but i'm just eyeballing it.

#52 ·
Bought the Spears & Munsil Calibration disc since I was failing miserably on my own. Ended up with the following settings. Seems to have solved any blooming issues I was seeing. Overall very impressed w/ the picture quality now.

Backlight 52
Brightness 49
Contrast 69
Color 57
Tint -9
Sharpness 25

Color Temperature - Computer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.