• 1 Post By TahoeDust

post #1 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question HELP: Vizio 40" vs Sharp 42"

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the new 2014 model Vizio 40" E-Series (E400I-B2) or the Sharp 42" (LC-42LB150U) Bestbuy exclusive. I have read that the Bestbuy Sharp "exclusives" are usually just rebranded cheaper sets like Insignia.

The main concern for me is picture quality. I don't really care much about 3D or "Smart TV" features, just picture quality (although being able to play movies through a USB flash drive would be nice). Viewing angles are also not as important to me.

You all seem very knowledgeable in this area about quality panels and such so I would really appreciate any input!

BTW- I will be going to a local Bestbuy to compare them for myself but I understand that the calibration can be off on the display models to entice buyers into more expensive sets. Anyways, I just wanted to do a bit more research before going to see for myself.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

This TV will be used in a Bedroom and my budget is around $400 - $500. My only requirements are 1080p, 120hz, a 39"+ screen and good local dimming. Deep black levels and no "edge glowing" is important to me, so I would definitely prefer something like a Panasonic plasma but that is a little out of my price range.

If there are any other TVs that fit the bill please let me know, it will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Sony 40W600B usually $469.00 to $499.00 ( $479.00 at Best buy this week ) should be the pick of the litter in that price range if you are willing to pay the Sony tax ☺
I have last years 40" R4 in my bedroom best 40"-46 " LCD picture I have ever seen (after I calibrated it ) !That's why I bought it. even out of the box it's very good it actually has a little better panel than the 2014 W600 .
the W600 is close enough though and probably the best picture at this price point and does offer improved processing over last years R4 Looked good when In saw it. (not any worse than last years R4 )So if you are going for PQ this is worth a look LG isn't bad either. Having seen both the Sharp and Visio they would not be in my cart although they
could present a decent value proposition but only if the LG was so cheap now .

The Sharp Might be worth $299.00 - $325.00 I wouldn't give much more than that it's not a premium product (like Sharp used to be no matter the size ) and is probably made by Hiseense like the Insignia.

The Best deal on the planet for a decent new 42" is the LG 42LN 5300 at Amazon , Best buy and Newewegg right now for $319.00 they were going for ~ 469.00 -$499.00 last year I have one here pretty good set. Not as good as my Sony but not bad at all .
it is last years model they sold a ton of them for a lot more they must have had a significant over run and are giving them away right now I wouldn't wait too long .+ it leaves money left over for a Roku 1 and a Blue ray spinner + an HDMI switch ☺

At that price I wouldn't even think twice about the LG ( it would qualify as an impulse buy )it can hold it's own pretty well and LG is a decent brand ( I would take LG over Vizio) but I already have one and all 6 of my sets are working fine or I would have one in my shopping cart by now. scores a respectable 4.6 customer review at B B

The Sony and LG are rear (direct lit ) panels

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-13-2014 at 01:11 AM.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If screen uniformity and black levels are really your priority, stretch that budget $50 and get a Samsung plasma PN51F5300. Bestbuy has them for $550.
tubetwister likes this.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys,

That LG seems like a really good deal for the price but I'm looking to upgrade from 60hz to something 120hz or higher.

WOW at that Samsung, I was hoping to spend around $400 or less but I think that plasma would be well worth the extra $150. I was just looking at the new Vizio M-series but I'm guessing that Samsung plasma blows any of them out the water, huh?
post #6 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

The only thing that concerns me about the plasma is glare. Reading some of the customer reviews it seems that glare and reflections can be a problem especially during the day. Maybe I should just get some black-out curtains or an anti-glare screen protector? Do any of you have some experience with anti-glare screen protectors? Do they work well or dimish the picture quality at all?

Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rededaf View Post
Thanks for the input guys,

That LG seems like a really good deal for the price but I'm looking to upgrade from 60hz to something 120hz or higher.

WOW at that Samsung, I was hoping to spend around $400 or less but I think that plasma would be well worth the extra $150. I was just looking at the new Vizio M-series but I'm guessing that Samsung plasma blows any of them out the water, huh?
Short of a somthing at~ $2500.00 (Samsung f8500 Plasma that destroys LED sets twice that price ) it's safe to say the PN51F5300. Samsung plasma would destroy all the other sets no prob plenty bright for an average room
in daylight just not facing direct sunlight . My f60F5300 is top dawg here out of (6) decent sets and will destroy a lot of expensive LCD. Visio M vs Sammy Plasma.............. SRSLY ....you hafta be kidding me ha ha ha

regular window blinds are fine ,corner placement helps also no glare filters might as well buy a Visio Led and turn the back light all the way down if you do that ☺☺the 5100 has a very transmittive panel (good picture because of that ) just keep it away from direct sunlight and overhead lighting and you will be fine .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-13-2014 at 03:02 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply,

I'm going to go check it out in store tomorrow and compare it with the rest. Are glare filters really that bad? I guess I'll just have to see for myself, and if it comes down to it I'll just get some good curtains(the normal blinds in my room suck and there is a light outside across from my window that stays on all night). Anyways I gotta crash, I'll check back here tomorrow before heading out.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I'm going to go check it out in store tomorrow and compare it with the rest. Are glare filters really that bad? I guess I'll just have to see for myself, and if it comes down to it I'll just get some good curtains(the normal blinds in my room suck and there is a light outside across from my window that stays on all night). Anyways I gotta crash, I'll check back here tomorrow before heading out.

Thanks again!
I have an F5300 as my bedroom TV and it is amazing,but I also have black out blinds and curtains to control ambient light. I have reduce about 95% of glare associated with plasma glare. As far as I know the F5300 has no anti glare filter.
I wouldn't discount the New Vizio M-series either even, even David "if it's not plasma black,it goes back" Katsmier
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Thanks again!
I have an F5300 as my bedroom TV and it is amazing,but I also have black out blinds and curtains to control ambient light. I have reduce about 95% of glare associated with plasma glare. As far as I know the F5300 has no anti glare filter.
I wouldn't discount the New Vizio M-series either even, David "if it's not plasma black,it goes back" Katsmaier was impressed.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page