AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Vizio M-Series(2014) vs Samsung Plasma(2013) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1602433-vizio-m-series-2014-vs-samsung-plasma-2013-a.html)

rededaf 07-13-2014 10:08 PM

Vizio M-Series(2014) vs Samsung Plasma(2013)

This may seem like a ridiculous question to some of you, and I am about 90% decided that I will go for the plasma, but I was just wondering if there were ANY reasons at all to go for a Vizio M-Series 2014 LED model over a Samsung plasma 2013 model (PN51F5300AFXZA).

Are there any significant improvements in Vizio's 2014 M-Series that would put it above a 2013 Samsung plasma? Smart features and 3D are not a concern for me. I can deal with glare & reflections one way or another. My main concern is picture quality and longevity.

Thanks!

Makaveli6103 07-13-2014 10:11 PM

No way the Vizio can compete with the Samsung Plasma. Is this a rhetorical question?

TahoeDust 07-13-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rededaf (Post 25722041)
This may seem like a ridiculous question to some of you, and I am about 90% decided that I will go for the plasma, but I was just wondering if there were ANY reasons at all to go for a Vizio M-Series 2014 LED model over a Samsung plasma 2013 model (PN51F5300AFXZA).

Are there any significant improvements in Vizio's 2014 M-Series that would put it above a 2013 Samsung plasma? Smart features and 3D are not a concern for me. I can deal with glare & reflections one way or another. My main concern is picture quality and longevity.

Thanks!

With that being the case, for me it would be an easy choice. The plasma.

The only advantage I could think of for the the Vizio would be if you were going to be spending most of your time viewing the TV in a very bright environment.

fafrd 07-13-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDust (Post 25722121)

The only advantage I could think of for the the Vizio would be if you were going to be spending most of your time viewing the TV in a very bright environment.

I agree, daytime viewing performance would be the single biggest advantage of the LED/LCD over the plasma. The 2014 Vizio M Series is getting some pretty positive reviews as being one of the best LED/LCDs at its pricepoint: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...b3-lcdled-hdtv

I don't know anything about the PN51F5300AFXZA, but LCDs also have the advantage over many/most plasmas of not requiring any break-in time or the use of color slides prior to calibration in order to get the best PQ.

rededaf 07-13-2014 10:31 PM

Thanks for the quick replies!

I would be viewing it mostly in a bright environment (sunlight coming in at a side angle) and that is one of the main reasons why I am a bit hesitant on the plasma, but if it comes down to it, I will probably just get some nice black-out curtains.. but if I do that, it will get VERY hot in here as I do not have A/C and it gets over 100 degrees here in summer. I have read that this particular model produces a lot of heat, and would really like to know if this will be a problem for the longevity of the plasma.

Thanks!

jack54 07-19-2014 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rededaf (Post 25722409)
Thanks for the quick replies!

I would be viewing it mostly in a bright environment (sunlight coming in at a side angle) and that is one of the main reasons why I am a bit hesitant on the plasma, but if it comes down to it, I will probably just get some nice black-out curtains.. but if I do that, it will get VERY hot in here as I do not have A/C and it gets over 100 degrees here in summer. I have read that this particular model produces a lot of heat, and would really like to know if this will be a problem for the longevity of the plasma.

Thanks!

I had the 60" Samsung Plasma and really liked it. It did put out way more heat, than the 70" Sony 3D LED HDTV I just got. So you have the window blocked and the Plasma generating heat, I bet your room goes up 15-20 degrees. I can feel the heat from the plasma when I'm 2-3 feet from it, but not where I'm sitting 8 feet away, however by then the heat rises to the ceiling. That said, I'd go with the led one, I'm glad I did. Vizio has a good reputation... you can't go wrong. I was after one, but since they didn't have them in stock, I went with the Sony.

kbeam418 07-19-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeDust (Post 25722121)

There are LG plasma TVS at the restaurant that I work at and they're bright enough so I doubt a plasma wouldn't be bright enough in a house.

Eternitay 07-19-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbeam418 (Post 25866466)
There are LG plasma TVS at the restaurant that I work at and they're bright enough so I doubt a plasma wouldn't be bright enough in a house.

Not all plasmas are created equal, the F5300 is known to have poor performance in a bright room.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/plasma/samsung/f5300

Eternitay 07-19-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rededaf (Post 25722041)
I was just wondering if there were ANY reasons at all to go for a Vizio M-Series 2014 LED model over a Samsung plasma 2013 model (PN51F5300AFXZA).

Black levels and contrast will appear better on the Vizio M than the samsung when the lights are on or the blinds are open.

If possible you should try to buy from somewhere with a good return policy that offers both models, try the cheaper one first, and if you end up not liking it then return it for the other. If that isn't a option, my vote would go for the Vizio, but only because the majority of my viewing is during the day in a room with windows off to the side.

kbeam418 07-20-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternitay (Post 25871642)
Not all plasmas are created equal, the F5300 is known to have poor performance in a bright room.

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/plasma/samsung/f5300

Yep just like all LCD TV are not created equal, my Samsung LCD has a great picture and no flash lighting issue, just depends on the brand. With that being said I wouldn't buy a plasma for day time but I had to have my backilght on max when I lived in a bedroom with a window, I love my basement :D