Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
I had to chuckle at this when I first saw the survey in light of the recent, silly, "Samsung sucks" thread. Apparently most buyers don't agree.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 240
"Vizio continues to receive a high number of consumer complaints regarding product reliability, as seen at consumeraffairs.com" Ouch! That's not good.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfs88801 View Post
J.D. Power: Samsung Leads HDTV Satisfaction Survey as Vizio Falls

http://hdguru.com/j-d-power-samsung-...s-vizio-falls/
The same J.D. Power that proclaimed AT&T U-Verse the best TV provider and best DVR? LOL.

So they pitted Samsung and LG against low end 3rd tier bottom feeder companies such as Vizio, Emerson, RCA, Sanyo, and Element, so it's no wonder Samsung and LG hold the top spots among those companies.

I wonder how they would have stacked up had they also included Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, and JVC in their poll?

I'm also wondering why any of these brands would win the warranty category since they all have pretty much the same 1-year warranty.
steve1971 likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The same J.D. Power that proclaimed AT&T U-Verse the best TV provider and best DVR? LOL.

So they pitted Samsung and LG against low end 3rd tier bottom feeder companies such as Vizio, Emerson, RCA, Sanyo, and Element, so it's no wonder Samsung and LG hold the top spots among those companies.

I wonder how they would have stacked up had they also included Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, and JVC in their poll?

I'm also wondering why any of these brands would win the warranty category since they all have pretty much the same 1-year warranty.

Well said Randy and I agree.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfs88801 View Post
J.D. Power: Samsung Leads HDTV Satisfaction Survey as Vizio Falls

http://hdguru.com/j-d-power-samsung-...s-vizio-falls/
Well, everyone knows that Samsung's Demo mode looks great in the store. It makes a great selling point.

Vizio is selling probably one of the best tv's on the market right now, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as a Samsung in the same size. I've owned lots of Samsung's, and they all seem to fail within 2 to 3 years, or right after the warranty. So, they aren't winning anything there.

From the report.
Both groups of customers indicate that the in-store display was their primary source of information during the shopping process, with approximately half indicating they relied primarily on the in-store displays.

Vizio out of box, isn't that great, you have to fine tune the picture. This years model has incredible blacks, and they are Fall Array LED's. I own the E600i-b3, and it's a great tv/computer monitor. We have 2 Samsung tv's in the house, and the 2014 Vizio destroys them.

So, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in that report. If it's just based on uninformed buyers, who saw a good looking demo in the store, and spent $200 or $300 more for it.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #7 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sony & Panasonic were in the survey and Samsung outperformed them.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Sony & Panasonic were in the survey and Samsung outperformed them.
Whoops, i looked again and see there are actually two separate charts, i had only looked at one chart.

But i wonder how many of the respondents actually had to deal with Samsung's warranty claim department? My experiences with them on six different failed products has been astoundingly horrible.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
Well, everyone knows that Samsung's Demo mode looks great in the store. It makes a great selling point.

Vizio is selling probably one of the best tv's on the market right now, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as a Samsung in the same size. I've owned lots of Samsung's, and they all seem to fail within 2 to 3 years, or right after the warranty. So, they aren't winning anything there.

From the report.
Both groups of customers indicate that the in-store display was their primary source of information during the shopping process, with approximately half indicating they relied primarily on the in-store displays.

Vizio out of box, isn't that great, you have to fine tune the picture. This years model has incredible blacks, and they are Fall Array LED's. I own the E600i-b3, and it's a great tv/computer monitor. We have 2 Samsung tv's in the house, and the 2014 Vizio destroys them.

So, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in that report. If it's just based on uninformed buyers, who saw a good looking demo in the store, and spent $200 or $300 more for it.
Not sure what the relevance of this is when the criteria measured in the survey are:

"Performance; Reliability; Ease of Operation; Style/Appearance ; Features; Price; and Warranty."
post #10 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Whoops, i looked again and see there are actually two separate charts, i had only looked at one chart.

But i wonder how many of the respondents actually had to deal with Samsung's warranty claim department? My experiences with them on six different failed products has been astoundingly horrible.
Randy, keep in mind that 'reliability' was one of the key factors that was measured.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The 2014 Vizio haven't been out that long, so, it's going to be hard to judge Reliability at this point. This chart is more based on what happen last year, not so much this year. My point to responding to this thread is. The Vizio is making a really good tv this year, and it's a good chance that no one well be able to do much better then them, without really raising the price. So, before you drop a bunch a money on the Samsung, check out the 2014 Vizio, look at the reviews, and see what informed shoppers are saying about them.

I would recommend an extended warranty for any brand tv, since for some reason they only give 1 year to them.
fafrd likes this.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #12 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

Randy, I presently own three Samsungs that have performed quite well the past 1-3 years but I must admit my biggest fear with Samsung is warranty claims or possible built-in obsolescence as I had the misfortune of having to deal with Samsung with RMA returns with Samsung for LCD Monitors on my Enterprise Network as I had close o 700 monitors of a few different brands and Samsung was a true PITA to process a return in the IT Field where I was used to A+ expedited free support from HP and Planar - usually RMA'd free within 48 hours whereas Samsung process to establish a support ticket was horrendous, took about two weeks and we had to prepay the shipping.

Over the years I had thousands of LCD Monitors and it did seem as though the Samsungs failure rate of the backlight was about 5 times higher than my Planars had full three full years with 24-48 hours express RMA free but a failure on those was a rarity <1% during the first five years. Of course the Samsungs were the best looking but the Planars were true value workhorses - for those unfamiliar Planar sold LCD's to the medical field, gov't and defense dept long before most these went consumer with LCD's. Samsung actually has no government priority support even when you buy a thousand monitors whereas HP, Cisco and Planar are world class expedited support where I used to get 4 hour support on high end servers and switches so when you go from that to consumer Joe Schmoe it can cost more money in waste of your salary than the monitor cost.

Not trying to trash Samsung as I own three but comparatively with their Monitors it did seem that obsolescence was built in where as I own an original Sony LCD still running 11 years later, and three Sharp TV's 32",45" 57" running perfectly 9-11 years later (with relatives I gifted them to) with zero failures and I often wonder if my Samsungs longevity will ever come close to those panels as I put them through heavy use as I have a sleep disorder where I leave my main viewing TV on all night.

JD Power isn't measuring longevity support - hopefully Samsung operates differently with high end panels and thus I hope and pray should a failure ever occur, fingers crossed and keep hoping. Were I buying a 78" at $7K or so I would likely buy an extended warranty to help alleviate the risk whereas I normally don't.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 07-14-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The JD powers survey is for those who purchased in the last 12 months, so an average of maybe 6 months of ownership.

The numbers are very close for all brands and the rankings seem to change a lot from year to year.

This survey is complete junk as far as I can tell.

If your primary concern is how well you'll like your TV in 6 months, then this the survey for you.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page