Lg 65ub9500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 164 Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
pgrenier16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lg 65ub9500

Hi all. I got a great purchase price offer for the 9500. I have not heard much about it. I have only been able to see it with the store loop playing 4K and of course it looks great. Here's what I do know:
1. 4K looks fantastic.
2. Up conversion seems to be very good with most of the higher end units including this one based on minimal reviews.
3. It has exactly the same panel as the higher model 9800.

What I don't know is:
1. Black level quality, banding, and flare.
2. Global dimming issue.

Also, last year's 9700 model seems to be available for approx the same price. I believe it is full array??? But it is not hdmi 2.0 or HEVC.

So, I ask any 9500 or 9800 owners out there. Does anybody regret their purchase? What are your thoughts on these models and are they a step down from last years?

Thanks.
pgrenier16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 164 Old 08-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Member
 
dignam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Trying to figure out what this offers over the 9650 myself. All I can really tell is being hdmi2.0 ready out of the box.
dignam is offline  
post #3 of 164 Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Member
 
dignam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So anyone actually own or even seen one of these?
dignam is offline  
post #4 of 164 Old 08-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 65UB9500 with all the bells and whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrenier16 View Post
Hi all. I got a great purchase price offer for the 9500. I have not heard much about it. I have only been able to see it with the store loop playing 4K and of course it looks great. Here's what I do know:
1. 4K looks fantastic.
2. Up conversion seems to be very good with most of the higher end units including this one based on minimal reviews.
3. It has exactly the same panel as the higher model 9800.

What I don't know is:
1. Black level quality, banding, and flare.
2. Global dimming issue.

Also, last year's 9700 model seems to be available for approx the same price. I believe it is full array??? But it is not hdmi 2.0 or HEVC.

So, I ask any 9500 or 9800 owners out there. Does anybody regret their purchase? What are your thoughts on these models and are they a step down from last years?

Thanks.

I got a LG 65UB9500 coming from EBAY, the week of August 11, 2014. I'll be camping here and posting stuff and lots of screen shots and hopefully video too, down the road. I ordered a LG 65LA9650 for $1999 and their out of stock, or he said being discontinued. So, they told me, with updated invoice through EBAY...I'll get the 65UB9500 at the $1999 price, when I ordered the 65LA9650. It was totally...luck of the draw and perfect timing on my order.

This LG 65UB9500 model, sad to say...has all the HDMI 2.0 and HEVC upgrades, everyone is hoping to purchase for the 2013 models, that LG has promised. Personally, I think.... LG needs to give those as FREE upgrades or with FREE NETFLIX or low cost upgrades of $200 or less, in my opinion. The AVSFORUM GODs were shining down on me this week.

God is good... for he knows my heart!!


LG UB9500 (4K)

LG’s UB9500 is basically a UB9800 without the extra powerful speaker system. It has all of the 4K features, including HEVC and HDMI 2.0 as well as the new webOS platform. Lots of this data, was compiled from other sites, for easy reading pleasure. Even LG does not list all these specs within their LG UB9500 and UB9800 model specs. Even the video below, looks like one of these models, from tons of research looking at all the CES 2014 TV's. But, during the video demonstration...they fail to say the LG 4K screen size and 4K model number, or even give any type of 4K up-scaling Blu Ray video demonstration.. haha CRAZY.. I KNOW!!

Notice, when he's scrolling...it keeps saying HDMI2 LG BluRay (ex'd out), with nothing 4K playing in the background. OMG....it's CES 2104 and the world is watching!! Lol



4K Ultra HD RESOLUTION @ 30mhz and 60mhz formats
TRU-4K ENGINE PRO ( newest 2014 addition, up-scales dvd and blu ray, digital to 4K)
IPS 4K PANEL (In-Plane Switching, best seat in house, multi viewing)
WebOS Smart TV (new in 2014, fast & instant refresh screens)
HEVC DECODER (H.265 decoding for 4K Netflix and future 4K)
Dual Core Process
HDMI 2.0 (4 HDMI 2.0 on side, 1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0)
4K Cinema 3D
2D to 3D Conversion
UCI 1500 (Ultra Clarity Index for sports and video games)
4K Cable Broadcasting (posted on their CES 2014 booth display)
Magic Remote Control with Voice Mate™
Smart Share (smart phone, pc, tablet to led tv)
Wireless Sound Sync
Miracast + MHL
WiFi
Bluetooth Version 3.0
HDMI Input Brand Naming (ps4, LG Blu Ray player, Tivo DVR)




Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-09-2014 at 07:53 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #5 of 164 Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got this TV from fry's this week for $2375. It was a bundle with a wall mount, 2 hdmi cables, screen cleaner and surge protector. They originally wanted $3000 for the bundle but I got them to leave off the two year "fry's" warranty.

While I feel like I got the TV at a good price I'm starting to wonder if i should have held out for a Sony or Samsung model after reading the very little reviews for this model.

Does anyone have any suggestions for picture settings? The only thing I found on the web was a site called "tweak TV". I tried there recommended settings but something seems a little off.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...-65ub9500.html

Anyone that owns this model have any suggestions for picture settings?
SavannahGa likes this.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #6 of 164 Old 08-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Member
 
sleekgreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmorris82 View Post
I got this TV from fry's this week for $2375. It was a bundle with a wall mount, 2 hdmi cables, screen cleaner and surge protector. They originally wanted $3000 for the bundle but I got them to leave off the two year "fry's" warranty.

While I feel like I got the TV at a good price I'm starting to wonder if i should have held out for a Sony or Samsung model after reading the very little reviews for this model.

Does anyone have any suggestions for picture settings? The only thing I found on the web was a site called "tweak TV". I tried there recommended settings but something seems a little off.

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/c...-65ub9500.html

Anyone that owns this model have any suggestions for picture settings?
I bought it yesterday and am taking it back today. I've messed with the picture settings for hours and nothing looks natural at all. My hd satellite channels look like a good cam copy. Idk, I'm taking it back and getting a 1080 3d. Something is off with the contrast i think, just cant make it look good at all. Put a couple blurays in and they look off to. They llok really good but not natural, my wife said they look like a video game, just not enjoyable.
sleekgreek is offline  
post #7 of 164 Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgreek View Post
I bought it yesterday and am taking it back today. I've messed with the picture settings for hours and nothing looks natural at all. My hd satellite channels look like a good cam copy. Idk, I'm taking it back and getting a 1080 3d. Something is off with the contrast i think, just cant make it look good at all. Put a couple blurays in and they look off to. They llok really good but not natural, my wife said they look like a video game, just not enjoyable.

There is lots of optimization spec's in these forums for the LG 4K TV's. I've seen lots of people confused on the newer technology and clueless on optimization of their sets. Actually, there is ton's of BLU RAY optimization disks, for all 4K and 1080 TV's. I found this video, of the 79UB9800, which is the big brother of the 65UB9800 and 65UB9500 (the LG TV that your taking back). The only difference is their sound systems and sizes, from what I've seen. I just got my 65UB9500 from the loading docks today. I have know plans on taking it back....




Make sure you watch the video of the "BIG BROTHER" 79UB9800 from Digital Trends, in it's true 4K colors before you bail on a great TV.


Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-11-2014 at 10:00 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #8 of 164 Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SavannahGa is offline  
post #9 of 164 Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SavannahGa is offline  
post #10 of 164 Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Please post picture settings when you get a chance. I bought a calibration blu ray today. Hoping that helps. And it's not that the picture looks bad. It just looks very unnatural to me. My previous tv was a Sony LDL-60nx720. I also noticed that there is nothing in the manual that describes all of the picture enhancing features.

I really hope I can get it sorted as this tv was almost $700 les than the sony 65" 850b model I was looking at.

Last edited by brianmorris82; 08-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #11 of 164 Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmorris82 View Post
Please post picture settings when you get a chance. I bought a calibration blu ray today. Hoping that helps. And it's not that the picture looks bad. It just looks very unnatural to me. My previous tv was a Sony LDL-60nx720. I also noticed that there is nothing in the manual that describes all of the picture enhancing features.

I really hope I can get it sorted as this tv was almost $700 les than the sony 65" 850b model I was looking at.

There is a tech guy over here, named BILL BALL and he was posting, settings in tabs 12-13 in their thread. I am sure, most of the LG 4K Ultra TV's are similar. I have heard, they don't come pre-set and lots of owners, feel they should have better information and settings.

Official LG LA9650 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9650, 65LA9650 )

I got the TV in my office late night, last night. I'll be messing around with it tonight and settings and stuff. I won't worry and jump the gun. I love Sony too...but their not everything in this world. Just saying...

Also, the super high rez is the future. I talked to BEST BUY techs and he was saying.."Everyone is complaining all the 4K TV's look to plastic looking, to sharp, to SOAP OPERA looking" (your unnatural look your talking about).

I think the more grainy effects, not so sharp on other 1080 HD sets are more everyone's style. The 4K TV's are making everything too polished looking and too animated in SUPER 4K HD. That is what...I complained to the BEST BUY TECH of the huge SONY DISPLAY and SAMSUNG movie demos. It was making everything look to polished, super animated plastic coated, soap opera stars. So, it's an issue on all the movies, feed into the new 4K TV's. Which, really...I think you should be able to adjust in settings. 8)

I've done endless hours of research and the 79UB9800 and it's video, should be the same video display, just a smaller size at 65 inches.

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-12-2014 at 08:17 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #12 of 164 Old 08-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahGa View Post
There is a tech guy over here, named BILL BALL and he was posting, settings in tabs 12-13 in their thread. I am sure, most of the LG 4K Ultra TV's are similar. I have heard, they don't come pre-set and lots of owners, feel they should have better information and settings.

Official LG LA9650 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9650, 65LA9650 )

I got the TV in my office late night, last night. I'll be messing around with it tonight and settings and stuff. I won't worry and jump the gun. I love Sony too...but their not everything in this world. Just saying...

Also, the super high rez is the future. I talked to BEST BUY techs and he was saying.."Everyone is complaining all the 4K TV's look to plastic looking, to sharp, to SOAP OPERA looking" (your unnatural look your talking about).

I think the more grainy effects, not so sharp on other 1080 HD sets are more everyone's style. The 4K TV's are making everything too polished looking and too animated in SUPER 4K HD. That is what...I complained to the BEST BUY TECH of the huge SONY DISPLAY and SAMSUNG movie demos. It was making everything look to polished, super animated plastic coated, soap opera stars. So, it's an issue on all the movies, feed into the new 4K TV's. Which, really...I think you should be able to adjust in settings. 8)

I've done endless hours of research and the 79UB9800 and it's video, should be the same video display, just a smaller size at 65 inches.
At the moment I cant get any 4k content (internet is not fast enough for netflix 4k) Im just using the tv with my ps4, direct tv box, and blu rays. I had a good friend over last night and he made a comment that something seems off with the tv. He wanted to start changing settings... This is after I spent awhile with the Disney Wow blu ray. I guess im just disappointed that there is not much improvement over my 3 yr old bravia. Maybe I am expecting too much from this set. I was talking to my roommate and he thinks the "game" mode of the tv gives the best picture. Maybe I need to try tweaking that setting. Watched a 1080p movie the other night while the tv was set to game mode and it did look impressive to me but It kind of made my eyes/head hurt after watching for about 30 min.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #13 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmorris82 View Post
At the moment I cant get any 4k content (internet is not fast enough for netflix 4k) Im just using the tv with my ps4, direct tv box, and blu rays. I had a good friend over last night and he made a comment that something seems off with the tv. He wanted to start changing settings... This is after I spent awhile with the Disney Wow blu ray. I guess im just disappointed that there is not much improvement over my 3 yr old bravia. Maybe I am expecting too much from this set. I was talking to my roommate and he thinks the "game" mode of the tv gives the best picture. Maybe I need to try tweaking that setting. Watched a 1080p movie the other night while the tv was set to game mode and it did look impressive to me but It kind of made my eyes/head hurt after watching for about 30 min.

Sorry, been busy and finally hooked it up last night!! Been dodging the wife and drug the box into my locked office, while she was taking a shower. hehe So...I finally got it set-up. Ummm the Disney Wow Blu Ray, was almost my purchase...but read it does not support 4K LED. I am sure it does just fine though.

Ok, here is my first impressions of the "65 inch" LG-65UB9500. Damn nice TV, that is blowing my mind with my 220 HDX movies off VUDU. I've seen all the TV's at BEST BUY and their specsl!! This LG TV is amazing, everytime...I walk into my office. I love it!!!

I ran TIN TIN in HDX off VUDU (with SONY BLU) as my first test, with hardwire CAT5/6 cable and it was totally SICK and almost made me cry with happiness. Anyone bad mouthing this TV should be banned from these forums. Because their just a troll, hater of these forums or the LG 65UB9500. Lol

If your patient enough to figure the settings out and learn to understand them. I've read reviews and they said....the black is not very dark, compared to other LED tv's. Blah, Blah and Blah. Their so full of SH#@!!

Well...the guy was a amature techno buff...if that!! For they did not understand, if your adjust the power settings...from LOW to MAXIMUM. Before installing your tecno calibration software and testing the LG 65UB9500 TV. You'll understand... The whole screen comes alive, with deep dark colors...in what people are expecting. When you play with the Advance POWER SETTINGs. Lol When you adjust the POWER LEVELS in Advance Picture settings, you'll see a huge difference in super rich colors across the board. DAH!! 8) You get super jet blacks, that make VUDU's HDX ALIENS perfect for screaming down the halls, with your gatteling gun.

Also, don't do WIFI...hardwire the LG 65UB9500. Also, Hardwire your PS3 or Ps4, Hardwire your Blu Ray with VUDU, or XBOXONE. Also, they want you using the state of the art...."HIGH SPEED HDMI" cable. I got a NEW EGG - CYBERPOWER too... for about $130, a few years back... that prevents power spikes. hehe Wired for POWER... haha You buy one of those, when you fry 2 PC's in one week, from a lighting storm. hehe

I am testing.... KING KONG (VUDU HDX), TIN TIN (VUDU HDX), I AM LEGEND (blu ray), and they all are CRAZY SICK!! I noticed with my wifes ROKU and VUDU app...there was a big difference on clarity, on her Insiginia 50 inch LED running at 120MHz. She was WIFI only and now CAT6 enabled or HARDWIRED from monoprice. You must be wired, to enjoy VUDU HDX clarity.

Also, I have an i7, 8 CORE HP, 8 GIG's RAM with a Geforce 5700 card and STEAM games play flawlessly. I was playing TF2 and ORCS MUST DIE 2. It upscales it and looks FANTASTIC. All running with CAT6 cables, that is very important....and big difference in CAT5 to CAT6. Read up...

Love the TV man.... it's a great purchase for today and the future. Anyone sinking money into a LED 1080 without 4K or HDMI 2.0, their just throwing money into the wind. Because this TV does all that and way more!!! I watched lots of 4K Vidoes, off YOUTUBE directly streaming from the CAT6 hooked into the back of the LG 65-UB9500 TV. They looked great and not even have to download them to a 128 GIG flash drive. No slow down....nothing!! PERFECT straight from COMCAST fast data BLAST!!!

Looked like was in BEST BUY.....watching their DEMO's on SAMSUNG and SONY OLED or 4K Tv's that cost $3800 and $6000+. haha

This LG 65UB9500 is amazing!!! If you know how to walk the walk....

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-14-2014 at 07:46 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #14 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here is my setting for my 65 inch... LG 65-UB9500

  • Streaming off VUDU in HDX in Dolby 7.0
    with CAT6 Hardwired (not WIFI) for super fast COMCAST BLAST data transfers.

    Note: you can do PICTURE MODE: VIVID or APS (that makes picture darker). Also, at the end is settings for ENERGY SAVINGS: Medium or MAXIUM. When you set these settings, the picture, enters into true blacks, like when dimming the lights in a theater. Probably, the most important setting and makes everything come alive. 8) Also, my blu ray collection was uploaded to VUDU, in their services area. Their HDX files are KICK ASS and superior or even better like 2K, compared to BLU RAY quality. Just saying...

    All the movies, I tested were superior in ranking order, with my below settings. Movies played through VUDU app on a SONY Blu Ray player, without 3D.

    VUDU HDX - Tin Tin "Totally Amazing, A+++"
    VUDU HDX -Aliens "Brought a classic, up to date in full on DIGITAL 2K"
    VUDU HDX - KING KONG "Wow, it made JURASSIC PARK, sooo OUTDATED"
    VUDU HDX - Prometheus - "Looked amazing, way better than RED BOX BLU RAY"
    SONY BLU RAY PLAYER - I am Legend - "So crisp, so natural, so Cool, LOVE IT"

    My end notes, the movie TIN TIN and KING KONG...were totally amazing, enough to cook some popcorn, grab some cokes and watch them all over again....in AWESOME 4K EXCITEMENT.

    PICTURE:


    PICTURE ADJUST:


    PICTURE OPTIONS:


    PENERGY SAVING: Tthe most important setting, which makes everything super dark, like the theater. Also, switching the APS on makes it even darker with these settings.



Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-14-2014 at 07:31 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #15 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahGa View Post
Here is my setting for my 65 inch... LG 65-UB9500

  • Streaming off VUDU in HDX in Dolby 7.0
    with CAT6 Hardwired (not WIFI) for super fast COMCAST BLAST data transfers.

    Note: you can do PICTURE MODE: VIVID or APS (that makes picture darker). Also, at the end is settings for ENERGY SAVINGS: Medium or MAXIUM. When you set these settings, the picture, enters into true blacks, like when dimming the lights in a theater. Probably, the most important setting and makes everything come alive. 8) Also, my blu ray collection was uploaded to VUDU, in their services area. Their HDX files are KICK ASS and superior or even better like 2K, compared to BLU RAY quality. Just saying...

    All the movies, I tested were superior in ranking order, with my below settings.

    VUDU HDX - Tin Tin "Totally Amazing, A+++"
    VUDU HDX -Aliens "Brought a classic, up to date in full on DIGITAL 2K"
    VUDU HDX - KING KONG "Wow, it made JURASSIC PARK, sooo OUTDATED"
    VUDU HDX - Prometheus - "Looked amazing, way better than RED BOX BLU RAY"

    PICTURE:


    PICTURE ADJUST:


    PICTURE OPTIONS:


    PENERGY SAVING: (the most important setting, make everything super dark, like theater)


Thanks for sharing. I think I may have gotten a defective tv. I set the settings exactly as you have and it still doesn't look right. I have a friend that works for Dallas sights and sounds (upscale home theater installer) Coming over on Sunday to calibrate the screen. He is borrowing the equiptment to do an ISF calibration. Hopefully he can get it dialed in.

I stopped in fry's at lunch today to make sure I could still return if I cannot get the picture sorted. They said no problem. Sales guy told me he had two of the same models returned in the same week for similar problems. Fry's might have gotten a shipment of defective units.

Fry's Is having a no sales tax sale starting tomorrow on 4k sets. I'm gonna pick up either a 65x850b or 65x900b just in case the calibration does not work on the LG. I'm paying my buddy $80 to calibrate for me on Sunday so hopefully ill have a TV im happy with either way.

Oh and I noticed there was a software update available yesterday. Make sure you download if you have not already. No idea what it fixes but I read that LG released a update for a similar 4k model the other day that fixed a bunch of problems with that set. Not sure how large it was but it took a good bit to download.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #16 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
agree,got this TV from fry's this week for $2375. It was a bundle with a wall mount, 2 hdmi cables, screen cleaner and surge protector. They originally wanted $3000 for the bundle but I got them to leave off the two year "fry's" [IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]warranty.
SavannahGa likes this.
fridenfive is offline  
post #17 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridenfive View Post
agree,got this TV from fry's this week for $2375. It was a bundle with a wall mount, 2 hdmi cables, screen cleaner and surge protector. They originally wanted $3000 for the bundle but I got them to leave off the two year "fry's" [IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]warranty.

What do you think of the picture?

Speaking of the price. The company I work for is about to start selling the 55" HU8550 My employee price is $1200, that's 10% above cost. Seems very cheap. Was trying to find out if we would start selling a 65" model. Our TV's have a 2 year manufacturer warranty as well.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #18 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmorris82 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I think I may have gotten a defective tv. I set the settings exactly as you have and it still doesn't look right. I have a friend that works for Dallas sights and sounds (upscale home theater installer) Coming over on Sunday to calibrate the screen. He is borrowing the equiptment to do an ISF calibration. Hopefully he can get it dialed in.

I stopped in fry's at lunch today to make sure I could still return if I cannot get the picture sorted. They said no problem. Sales guy told me he had two of the same models returned in the same week for similar problems. Fry's might have gotten a shipment of defective units.

Fry's Is having a no sales tax sale starting tomorrow on 4k sets. I'm gonna pick up either a 65x850b or 65x900b just in case the calibration does not work on the LG. I'm paying my buddy $80 to calibrate for me on Sunday so hopefully ill have a TV im happy with either way.

Oh and I noticed there was a software update available yesterday. Make sure you download if you have not already. No idea what it fixes but I read that LG released a update for a similar 4k model the other day that fixed a bunch of problems with that set. Not sure how large it was but it took a good bit to download.

Sure, know problem. I know you were worried about your purchase and wondering, about settings. Really...I am the guy, who stands in BEST BUY for hours, talking to the dudes. Research every video from CES, looking at foreign LG sites and their products and marketing. I paid $2000 and $169 for a square trade warranty. I love everything about the set so far. I was worried about this LG 65UB9500 for playing games as a PC monitor. I am a huge gamer on STEAM and ORIGIN. The TV played my game, tests flawlessly. I do have a Insignia 42" Plasma at 600 MHZ, that looks great as a monitor too.

I know SONY 65x900b does a great job at marketing and has extras in their sets, making them superior to others. But...their always a huge premium to pay, with SONY. I wanted a nice Sony LED 1080....but thought another year, it will be worthless at $1300 today. So..I upgraded to $2000+....and lucked out, the original 4K LG LA9650 @ $1999 was out of stock and got upgraded to a 4K LG 65UB9500 for $1999. So lucky....for sure!! Blessed as they say in the South. Lol

Note: My settings took about 6-8 hours messing around to achieve. I am sure they can be fine tuned again and again. But, when I was watching everything....I was like WOW..very NICE!!! Everything looks KICK ASS!! 8)

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-14-2014 at 08:20 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #19 of 164 Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also, for everyone that is wonder, about my BLU RAY collection uploaded to VUDU. The information is right here. When you have a blu ray burner, you can upload their data key....to VUDU, that you own the BLU RAY. After uploading 10 blu rays, which takes about 30 mins.

They charge you $2.00 per blu ray and $5 for Dvds.

10 blu rays is $20, but they give you 50% off after 10.....so it's really $1 a piece. JOY!! 8)
10 dvds is $50, but they give you 50% off after 10 uploads...so it's really $2.50 a piece.

PS: I think the quality is like Blu Ray or 2K to 4K quality. It's good to upload, older DVD's that never came out on Blu Ray. They have the highest quality digital files, with dolby 7.0 too. That they call...HDX (superior to BLU RAY, or awesome for upscaling engines on 4K Tv's). I uploaded 214 Blu Rays so far and bought them cheap at about $3 a piece off EBAY. Warning not every Blu Ray will work....maybe 5 out of 10 will upload, that is the downside of their service. Waaaaaah


http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-14-2014 at 08:34 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #20 of 164 Old 08-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Member
 
dignam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wanted to dispute one thing here. Using Wi-Fi is fine if your equipment is good. This tv isn't capable of doing anything faster than my Wi-Fi could handle. It's using an AC1900 router on a 5Gh/z connection. Streams 4k YouTube no problem. Also streams off my nas no problem. If your way out of range or still have very old networking tech maybe you need to hard wire, but if current theres no need.


Also aren't you just posting basically the default picture settings? Great advice with the power savings setting, that definitely kills the picture. But mostly you just posted pictures of the settings out of the box.
Chuvy likes this.

Last edited by dignam; 08-15-2014 at 05:05 PM.
dignam is offline  
post #21 of 164 Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignam View Post
Just wanted to dispute one thing here. Using Wi-Fi is fine if your equipment is good. This tv isn't capable of doing anything faster than my Wi-Fi could handle. It's using an AC1900 router on a 5Gh/z connection. Streams 4k YouTube no problem. Also streams off my nas no problem. If your way out of range or still have very old networking tech maybe you need to hard wire, but if current theres no need.


Also aren't you just posting basically the default picture settings? Great advice with the power savings setting, that definitely kills the picture. But mostly you just posted pictures of the settings out of the box.

I do have an olde Belkin WIFI router and was talking tech with my bro. And came to a conclusion, I don't need the newer WIFI stuff. I'll just HARDWIRE it all with BELKIN switchers.

Not into the 5Gh/z WIFI routers, and paying $150-$200 for the newest router. That is why posted, just Hardwire with a CAT6 (paid like $20 for a 50ft cable, at MONOPRICE), for it's way cheaper for streaming and gaming. I believe wireless is for CELLS, LAPTOPS or PADS (which I have too). It does degrade the signal, or the compression files in WIFI vs. CAT6. It's something you can feel and only see. Also, I've seen signals stop on WIFI and they want you to choose a lower compress file. What fun is that? But that is my older BELKIN WIFI again. haha

I think WIFI, is for something your walking around the house with and need it wireless. If the TV is on a cart and wheeling from room to room. By GOD do the WIFI. haha But the TV can be HARDWIRED with a CAT6....so just HARDWIRE it and be done with it. 8) It's just good to know...when someone would think they need the latest wireless router, to make the TV work in all it's premium options. It's not necessary at all. Save your money...for converting 200 Blu Rays to VUDU @ $1 a pop, in HDX format (blu ray/4K quality). 8)

About the TV settings, I adjusted them all for about 6-8 hours and found these look pretty good. It was my first try and not even fine tune anything. When finding the POWER settings does the trick, in improving the overall settings, along with the APS and VIVID settings. I remember moving dials up and down, back and forth. I really don't think they could be anywhere near the factory defaults. Just saying...

I posted my post, because in this thread....people were taking the 65UB9500 back or thinking about taking their LG 4K TV back, from poor picture settings. When...I proved a valid point, they were jumping the gun...if they only took time, to figure out the TV settings. Ha



"This LG 65UB9500`4K TV is amazing!!! If you know how to walk the walk....
I am testing.... KING KONG (VUDU HDX), TIN TIN (VUDU HDX), I AM LEGEND (blu ray), and they all are CRAZY SICK!!"

"I was playing TF2 and ORCS MUST DIE 2. It upscales it and looks FANTASTIC (on STEAM). All running with CAT6 cables, that is very important....and big difference in CAT5 to CAT6. Read up... "

"Love the TV man.... it's a great purchase for today and the future. Anyone sinking money into a LED 1080 without 4K or HDMI 2.0, their just throwing money into the wind. Because this TV does all that and way more!
"

That is my quote from the review... Anyone taking their LG-65UB9500 TV back is either clueless about technology and know nothing about the concept of FUTURE TECH or calibrating their TV. This LG-65UB9500 is great for years to come, at super discounted pricing of $1999...that can run with the big boys like SONY and SAMSUNG. With saving $1000's less. Just saying..



Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-16-2014 at 09:57 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #22 of 164 Old 08-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dignam View Post
Great advice with the power savings setting, that definitely kills the picture.

Thanks... "The Advance Power Settings" is key, along with VIVID color or APS selections. I've researched this LG 65UB9500 all over the world and hard to find details on calibration or video reviews. That is why did this review, in a positive light, for it's an AWESOME TV. It's not just because, I own it...it's just everything is superior, in lots of SONY and SAMSUNG TV's I've seen on display. IF YOU LEARN HOW TO ADJUST THE TV SETTINGS, LIKE STATED or IMPROVE MY SETTINGS!!

I really have a hard time, telling the difference in this "65" LG 65UB9500 for $2000 less vs. Sony "65" or Samsung "65" models. Do your research everyone...before spending $2000 more. Just saying...

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-16-2014 at 08:10 PM.
SavannahGa is offline  
post #23 of 164 Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Took the lg back today. To me the sony looked better with the out of the box settings... My friend isf calibrated both tvs on Sunday and thought the sony looked better as we'll. I really wanted the lg to work out as it was $500 less.
brianmorris82 is offline  
post #24 of 164 Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Member
 
SavannahGa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmorris82 View Post
Took the lg back today. To me the sony looked better with the out of the box settings... My friend isf calibrated both tvs on Sunday and thought the sony looked better as we'll. I really wanted the lg to work out as it was $500 less.

Sorry about that... I am loving my LG 65UB9500! I just showed my wife, everything last night, for it was locked in my office. She's jealous and wants one. haha
SavannahGa is offline  
post #25 of 164 Old 08-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahGa View Post
Sorry about that... I am loving my LG 65UB9500! I just showed my wife, everything last night, for it was locked in my office. She's jealous and wants one. haha



can you take some pictures of movies playing on it... am thinking about buying one, thanks!
Spidergames is offline  
post #26 of 164 Old 09-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Member
 
aagstn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased mine 7 days ago and I'm already having major issues. I am having strange blue and green light pulsings. It will start on the right half of the screen and then pulse on the left half and then the screen goes dark. The pulses start in the center half as a circle that expands up and down the half the the screen. When the screen goes dark the backlight is still on there is just no picture. Unplugging it gets the TV working again, but anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours later the pulses come back and the screen goes out again.

I'm also having an issue when I play 3D content where instead of being in 3D it just splits the screen in half vertically and shows the image on the top and bottom halves of the screen. This happens every once in awhile. I restart the TV and it works correctly for awhile and then starts happening again later.

I've tried different HDMI cables including the one it came with, different sources including a Sony blu-ray player and a Roku 3 and different HDMI in ports, but the problems happen regardless.

Assuming I just got a bum TV as I haven't found this kind of issue anywhere online.

Last edited by aagstn; 09-06-2014 at 04:45 PM.
aagstn is offline  
post #27 of 164 Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Member
 
Deihmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an LGUB8500 and really liked it but then decided I wanted to upgrade it to the 9500 since the price difference was small. The store didn't have it and they convinced me to get the Samsung HU8550 and what a big mistake that was. The big difference is smarttv software. The webos software is so much better than what Samsung is offering.
Deihmos is offline  
post #28 of 164 Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Deihmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I returned the Samsung and have decided on the 55UB9500. I think the software is really nice and easy to use jumping from app to app without having to reload it unlike on the Samsung. Picture quality is excellent to me but I am not one of those that sit in front of the TV with a magnifying glass.


Has anyone been able to locate any professional calibration settings? I am unable to locate any and I have no idea how to do it.
Deihmos is offline  
post #29 of 164 Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi all. I got the 65ub9500 and do stupid thing. I change the area code in hid. menu and forgot the us code. now i have the eu area code . can someone post the img of the hid. menu with the us/us area code thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	305530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	305538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	305546  

Last edited by primus1701; 10-11-2014 at 06:31 AM.
primus1701 is offline  
post #30 of 164 Old 10-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone else had calibration settings for the 9500. I tried what SavannahGA posted. Just looking for other options.
Mister_DoItNice is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 65ub9500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off