XBR-85X950B Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
XBR-85X950B Review

After some serious pandering within the Sony corporate organization, I was able to get sign off and have this bad boy delivered earlier this week and have had it up on my wall since Tuesday. Without a doubt this is the finest TV I have ever owned and I have enjoyed every second of ownership (this should be the case given the price tag).

The footprint of the set is enormous and if mounted on the wall like mine offers a huge landscape for mounting your devices. I have the new 4k media server, an XBOX one, DirectTV box, (2) large surge protectors, AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire, remote control console all mounted to the back of the TV with room for more.

The picture quality and brightness of this set is just as fantastic as the 65" version. I own a Sony 4k camcorder and watched some video footage I uploaded to Vimeo via Amazon Fire TV earlier this evening, this finally sold my wife on this TV.

The new media server is head and shoulders superior to its predecessor and Netflix has started to add some new content. IMHO, Blu ray's look almost as fantastic as 4K content on this set.

For those considering purchasing I would have no hesitation, you wont regret one second of viewing any and all content on this beauty.
OzzCozmozzz and Vegas oled like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the 85x950B come with two stands one for table top and one
for stand alone stand? And is the table top stand adjustable for less then an 80 inch table top? How is the contrast and black
level on the TV since it is Full Array Local Dimming?
Thanks Greg
post #3 of 23 Old 07-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Can you post a few pictures? That would be great.
Greg
post #4 of 23 Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post
Can you post a few pictures? That would be great.
Greg
This please
Raitzi likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

You must have been one of the few people who so far received this
set. Congratulations!

Last edited by Greg Young; 07-20-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Improper sentence
post #6 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been hoping for more updates on these sets. I was expecting mine this week, but apparently there was some delay and now it should arrive by next Friday (7/31). I saw it recently again in a Sony store in Vancouver. The guys there had just set it up the day before. Now I can't wait to see it on my wall!!!

Abstract yourself!
post #7 of 23 Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations, if you could share any impressions or pictures that would be great. Greg
post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2014, 10:04 PM

Well, I don't know if I just have bad luck with Sony or if they simply cannot make a quality product. The following picture was taken with long exposure. It shows the lack of uniformity in the blacks when the LEDs are not used to modulate brightness. You'll notice some reflections on the left of the screen and some tiny street lights on the right. What should draw your attentions is the varying blackness levels on the screen. Do Sony really care so little about customers of its XBR-85x950b flagship product?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85x950b.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	198625  

Abstract yourself!
post #9 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For this, local dimming is made - as your Eye doesn't work like a camera, this is no issue......
post #10 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Lcd tv's have clouding it's just the way it is. With local dimming on you will not see this. I would check your settings to make sure it's on.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Yes, the issue goes away with local dimming since the screen just goes black. What about any uniform surface though? If the backlight is not uniform, wouldn't it affect all flat surfaces?

Abstract yourself!
post #12 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorg View Post
Yes, the issue goes away with local dimming since the screen just goes black. What about any uniform surface though? If the backlight is not uniform, wouldn't it affect all flat surfaces?
Clouding on a black screen does not show on colors. All lcd tv have it in one form or another, some worst some better. If a tv has no local dimming you will see it more but at long as dimming is on you should never see it. I had two x950b and they showed very little clouding but it was still there.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Well, I don't know if I just have bad luck with Sony or if they simply cannot make a quality product. The following picture was taken with long exposure. It shows the lack of uniformity in the blacks when the LEDs are not used to modulate brightness. You'll notice some reflections on the left of the screen and some tiny street lights on the right. What should draw your attentions is the varying blackness levels on the screen. Do Sony really care so little about customers of its XBR-85x950b flagship product?!?
I did expect the 85 being hand built in Japan to be better then the 65". You are of course limited to how many light bulbs they can fit into the space but for 20K plus you would expect the best. How is the off angle viewing? The 65" 950 really fades fast.

I saw the largest band on a 79B at BB the other day, real disappointment because the set looked otherwise very good.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Clouding on a black screen does not show on colors. All lcd tv have it in one form or another, some worst some better. If a tv has no local dimming you will see it more but at long as dimming is on you should never see it. I had two x950b and they showed very little clouding but it was still there.

Among other things, if you have clouding this bad it will almost certainly effect your calibration (assuming you plan to have such a high-end TV calibrated).

The sensor remains in one spot during calibration - to the extent there is more or light coming from the backlight in the location of the sensor, the entire TV will be calibrated to that expected backlighting.

For a full-array backlight and a TV tis expensive, clouding like what you have shown would seem to be inexcusable.

Now if under normal viewing that screen appears pitch black it may be immaterial - what matters is backlight variation under normal viewing brightness as a %.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Among other things, if you have clouding this bad it will almost certainly effect your calibration (assuming you plan to have such a high-end TV calibrated).

The sensor remains in one spot during calibration - to the extent there is more or light coming from the backlight in the location of the sensor, the entire TV will be calibrated to that expected backlighting.

For a full-array backlight and a TV tis expensive, clouding like what you have shown would seem to be inexcusable.

Now if under normal viewing that screen appears pitch black it may be immaterial - what matters is backlight variation under normal viewing brightness as a %.
The picture was also taken with a slow shutter speed and can make matters look much worst then it is. I'm sure he could probably get a screen with less clouding but he could also get more.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-06-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
The picture was also taken with a slow shutter speed and can make matters look much worst then it is. I'm sure he could probably get a screen with less clouding but he could also get more.

Yeah, checking for uniformity with a dark grey screen would be more meaningful - darkest areas of the screen just above black so that they can be captured by the camera without using an unnaturally slow shutter (1/60th of a second or faster).
post #17 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM

Well, our eyes are quite perceptive. The slow shutter speed is needed to reveal what the eye sees otherwise quite naturally. That said, I'm happy to reproduce the experiment with different settings. Just let me know what you would like to see.

The Sony replaces a Sharp Elite 70". I don't recall ever seeing that kind of clouding on it though (maybe it's selective memory). Maybe I'm trivializing the issue, but since Sony knows where every LED is behind the screen, couldn't they just calibrate each one individually for uniform backlighting? The process couldn't possibly take that long! Anyway, for a flagship TV, I would have expected more attention to detail. Fortunately, when the colors come on, my smile widens and my dark troubles are quickly forgotten...

Abstract yourself!
post #18 of 23 Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Hmm, I'm still not sure if my clouding issue is normal or not. I feel the picture I took doesn't do it justice since I notice it regularly.

BTW, how many dead pixels would you tolerate on this display? I'm thinking zero. Agreed?

Abstract yourself!
post #19 of 23 Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hmm, I'm still not sure if my clouding issue is normal or not. I feel the picture I took doesn't do it justice since I notice it regularly.

BTW, how many dead pixels would you tolerate on this display? I'm thinking zero. Agreed?
The 85x950B that I tested at the store had very little to zero clouding, (they turned all the lights off for me to test the tv), the clouding in yours is bad, and even if local dimming hide it somewhat, you will see more blooming, because you will see the clouding again when the LED turn on in that zone, for that price the tv should be very close to perfect.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
more pics man!

Pioneer KURO PDP-5010FD 1080p plasma
Pioneer SC-1523-K Dolby PLIIz +THX 9.2 surround
Sony BDP-S790 bluray player
post #21 of 23 Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriS2K View Post
more pics man!
I'm on vacation currently, but will get back to the task of sharing pics of the clouding. It's a bit challenging, because as soon as you bring up a black image, the screen goes dark regardless of Dynamic LED settings. Anyway, I'll figure it out if for no other reason than to get a replacement set!

Abstract yourself!
post #22 of 23 Old 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM

On a more positive note, I cannot watch movies from Vudu anymore on this set. Vudu used to be my favorite movie streaming service, but imperfections due to compression are way too visible. Either Vudu changed something or this set reveals even the smallest flaws. On the other hand, recent BluRays like "Thor: The Dark World" look amazing! Also, "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" played through the X10 is breathtaking. The picture is jawdroppingly beautiful!

Abstract yourself!
post #23 of 23 Old 10-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Well, got a call from Sony. They are refusing to exchange my set, but agreed to refund me. Apparently, having 10 dead pixels all over a $25,000 is considered "normal." Very disappointed that Sony doesn't stand behind its product and instead opted to save face by taking the TV back. I guess that means I'm in the market for something new...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map-of-dead-pixels.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	297730  

Abstract yourself!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-85X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page