• 1 Post By Citivas

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Color question

I have a question in regards to color on tvs. What exactly makes one tv more colorful than another? I had a Sony 720 tv for a short time. Got rid of it and got a Samsung 46d8000. The Sammy just seemed to have a more colorful rich look to the content (more pop). I read a review on amazon where someone got a 2014 Vizio M series and one of the thing the reviewer said was it wasn't as colorful as the Samsung it replaced. I see Samsung has their wider gamut, Sony has their triluminos display but what does it really mean? Reason I ask is im waiting for the Vizio P series. Im starting to wonder with the fald and active pixel tuning it may be the same thing where if you watch it side by side with other tv the quality is good but it still doesn't have that rich color look to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
3 thing to start very important contrast (adequate white levels ) next ,adequate brightness without crushing blacks and shadow detail or raising black min levels (or at least not by much ) these two will determine contest ratio (very important )

next color saturation again not so high as to obscure or crush detail . then there is color temp D65 or ~6500K is considered correct (warm on most sets never cool ) I find a lot of sets push red on warm I usually prefer a neutral color temp (although it *may not be * technically ideal in some cases but can look better .

I usually max out the back light and contrast ,turn off any power saving or energy saving stuff and auto sensing or blinking back light functions

Then set the brightness and color saturation described above . remember Brightness sets the black level and contrast sets the max white level
there really isn't a brightness control per see on a panel (closest thing is the back light ) but they carried the names over .

different panel specs /types/ video processioning quality and methods all come into play also movie or cinema modes usually have the most accurate color then custom, ,game or general Vivid is like torch mode and to be avoided . anyway that's a start just knowing how to do some basic adjustments can help a lot . Dont screw with the gamma if you dont know can cause big problems and FU the feng shui in a big way ! and if you did put it back !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-20-2014 at 04:09 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Here is a link that can also help with the color and other options for the tv.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/2nd-edition-articles/

Jacob
tubetwister likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
I have a question in regards to color on tvs. What exactly makes one tv more colorful than another? I had a Sony 720 tv for a short time. Got rid of it and got a Samsung 46d8000. The Sammy just seemed to have a more colorful rich look to the content (more pop). I read a review on amazon where someone got a 2014 Vizio M series and one of the thing the reviewer said was it wasn't as colorful as the Samsung it replaced. I see Samsung has their wider gamut, Sony has their triluminos display but what does it really mean? Reason I ask is im waiting for the Vizio P series. Im starting to wonder with the fald and active pixel tuning it may be the same thing where if you watch it side by side with other tv the quality is good but it still doesn't have that rich color look to it.
I think you are asking why one set is more colorful than another, rather than how to get a
particular set to perform its best. For LCD TVs, all the color originates with the backlights.
You will not get any color on the screen that was not sent there from the backlight source.
This is very important to remember because the technologies are changing again.
There were some very good CCFL (fluorescent) backlights that claimed wide color gamut.
The switch to white LEDs for most sets meant a giant step backward in overall color.
The increase in brightness masks the fact that parts of the spectrum are not as strong as before.
Manufacturers were overly concerned with making the TVs thin and bright and not so much
concerned about the basics of the picture quality. This is beginning to change, fortunately.
After the backlight's color spectrum, the LCD panel has to have the right color filters for a wide
color gamut. Ideally, the filters would hit the exact center of the human perception of each of
the three primaries and only that portion. This would give the richest color possible from any
given backlight spectrum, but not the brightest picture. Again, brightness has dictated widening
the filters to allow more stray light, but at the expense of washing out the color somewhat.
Finally, the programming inside the TV is important and there are usually settings, such as
Sport or Dynamic, which will exaggerate the colors of certain objects without making the overall
picture (particularly fleshtones) look overly saturated. This involves algorithms for look up tables,
where the TV is literally deciding how to paint by numbers. It's all going to depend on your
own preferences and it's good to have options for different picture quality in the same set, for
daylight, sports, cinema, etc. Maybe this helps round out the answers to your question?...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
All of the above posts are good. I would add a couple points.

A lot of people on this site talk of calibrating their sets and getting "accurate" color. Just want to point out that "accurate" color and color "pop" are not necessarily the same thing. If you are with viewing out-of-the-box settings you may well be viewing what is technically over-saturated color. Some sets manufactures know that color "pop" attracts people and intentionally have settings that over saturate the color to more than what is accurate to try and get that positive reaction. Some TV shows do this as well by post-processing their footage. If you've ever seen the new Hawaii-Five-O or the old CSI Miami, for example, both of those shows always have spectacular footage of Hawaii and Miami that always looks breathtaking. Both made use of over saturation to make the footage look so good.

There's no right or wrong. Some of us want accurate for various reasons but some enjoy pop-py color even if not as accurate. And there are sets that do a pretty good job at both.
tubetwister likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Be careful with too much contrast, it can take away white detail (differences in white on white) it can also make tHe picture bloom. Also be careful of too much color. When you have too much color you'll see the reds start to look oversaturated and start to bloom. 65K refers to the correct proportions of Red, blue and green when combined make the standard white.

With a test pattern adjust the brightness so that all shades of black appear. Adjust the contrast so all shades of white appear. As stated earlier too much loses white detail and starts to make lines "bend". These two controls interact, so you may have to go back and forth with them until you get the best balance.

Adjusting color and tint requires a blue filter. If you don't have one, adjust the color so the reds are not blooming, look "fuzzy" or loses detail. Adjust the tint so a red you are familiar with, such as the red in the US flag looks correct.

Sharpness is actually the amount of extra noise noticeable around text. A little is OK, but then you start to get "dot crawl" around the edges. If you can find a black and white test pattern on an off air channel which has graduated line thicknesses, adjust the sharpness to get the most detail from the thinnest lines.

Just some basics on how to adjust the most common user controls.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
when setting white (contrast) with a test pattern if the set supports 0 255 (4:4:4 ) you just want to barley see 253 when setting contrast . All pretty good posts here

If the set supports 16 - 235 (4:4:2 you want to just barley be able to see 233

All ATSC 2K consumer OTA broadcasts /CATV/SAT /IPTV / DVD /BD are 4:4:2
Some game consoles and all PC are 4:4:4

depending on the sets capabilities you would be just with 4:4:2 on the TV for consumer entertainment

PC input and some game console (PS3/4/Xbone ) are customarily set at full RGB (0-255)

PS 3 Video out for BD/DVD /IPTV can be set either way

remember brightness controls black levels contrast max white and Max back light rarely ever causes any problems not saying it cant but almost never does YMMV '

Download this Sony color Blind Test video and Images to set color saturation /contrast and brightness it's as good as anything else and better than most for setting contrast/brightness/color saturation

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/suppor...l?info_id=1369

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-20-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread