56Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Samsung 105" Ultrawide UHDTV Now Available

After wowing the crowds at CES last January, this ultrawide curved-screen UHDTV is now available to order—and it ain't cheap.

At CES 2014, Samsung, LG, and Toshiba introduced ultrawide UHDTVs measuring 105 inches diagonally with a pixel resolution of 5120x2160, which translates to an aspect ratio of 2.37:1—perfect for watching widescreen movies without letterbox bars. The Samsung and LG versions were curved, while the Toshiba was flat, and I thought the curve was actually a good thing with such a large screen, unlike the smaller flat panels in the Samsung and LG booths.

Many showgoers saw these sets as concept demos that were not necessarily destined to become commercially available products—a long-standing tradition at CES. Well, Samsung just announced that its version of this concept, the UN105S9W, can now be ordered for exactly one penny under $120,000. For that much, I would expect it to be delivered, installed, and calibrated, but Samsung informs me that's not part of the deal. According to the press release, "For owners of the 105" Curved UHDTV, Samsung will offer its 'Samsung Elite Service,' where customers can receive an in-home visit by Samsung Field Engineers who will explain the features of the TV and optimize it for their viewing environment." Apparently, that costs extra, and you still have to get the thing home from the authorized dealer to whom Samsung delivers it about 12 weeks after you place your order. Another additional cost is the wall-mount system, which requires one very sturdy wall!

The good news is that this LCD behemoth sports full-array LED backlighting with local dimming (FALD), which is superior to LED edgelighting in terms of uniformity and perceived contrast. And presumably it has a kick-ass video processor, which must upscale just about everything to its native resolution. (Hopefully, any UHD Blu-ray spec will include anamorphic encoding, which would allow widescreen movies to be shown on such a display at full resolution with no vertical scaling.) For sports and news fanatics—and those with incredibly short attention spans—four HD signals from any source (broadcast, streaming, web, etc.) can be displayed at once. And of course, Samsung's Smart TV platform brings you tons of content from online providers.

Like all Samsung UHDTVs, this one houses the processing and connections in a One Connect box that can be swapped out—at extra expense—as new features and functions become available. This approach can't upgrade the panel's colorimetry or dynamic range, but it will allow, for example, faster connections and more online functions to be added.

Of course, this UHDTV is not intended for the mainstream TV buyer—it's aimed squarely at the 1%. But for those lucky few who can afford it, the UN105S9W has an undeniable wow factor that is sure to impress. I just wouldn't want to be the one who has to wrangle it into the house.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
audiofan1 and Zenyatto like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor

Last edited by Scott Wilkinson; 07-23-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think I'd rather either have a completely new house built for that amount, or build out the most killer theater ever, in an existing building. I mean, it only cost around $100k for the HTOM called Fortress of Solitude. Sheesh. People who buy that have more money than sense.

Last edited by Cthanatos; 07-22-2014 at 06:16 PM. Reason: post link to FOS
post #3 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthanatos View Post
I think I'd rather either have a completely new house built for that amount, or build out the most killer theater ever, in an existing building. I mean, it only cost around $100k for the HTOM called Fortress of Solitude. Sheesh. People who buy that have more money than sense.
Yeah I would do the same, the only problem it cost no where near that amount here in Canada to build a house. More like 400k. This is more for celebrities that like to show off. Like Jay Z & Beyonce spending 400k on their kids golden rocking horse.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #4 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
120K and no included nothing, not even calibration ?! how lame.
im sure there'll be some who'll pay for it nonetheless
post #5 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 268
This set is meant for the .1 percent, not the 1 percent.
post #6 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 579
That one will cause the blood pressure to rise when you need to call Samsung Warranty support
player002 and Zenyatto like this.
post #7 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Another additional cost is the wall-mount system, which requires one very sturdy wall!
I hope there's a wall bracket that will actually flatten out the screen and produce pictures that the filmmakers intended for people to see.

My take is, if you can afford a $120,000 TV screen, you can afford to build a room that has no reflections and no lighting problems... so you don't need the alleged "benefits" of a curved screen.
videobruce and RickyDeg like this.
post #8 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Yeah I would do the same, the only problem it cost no where near that amount here in Canada to build a house. More like 400k. This is more for celebrities that like to show off. Like Jay Z & Beyonce spending 400k on their kids golden rocking horse.
Same here in some parts of the States. I would love to argue with my insurance company that my house could be rebuilt for $100K or even a low multiple of it...
post #9 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
120K and no included nothing, not even calibration ?! how lame.
im sure there'll be some who'll pay for it nonetheless
At 120K your local dealer could be persuaded to thrown in delivery and possibly calibration.
David Susilo likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I'll take two!!! One for the bathroom of course!!
Bigham16 and blee0120 like this.
post #11 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 172
This set is super cool but man what a ridiculous price! Even for the most elite buyers it's just outrageous.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Looks nice. Now if I can talk my wife into selling the house and living in the car to buy one.
player002 likes this.
post #13 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Absurd.
post #14 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Those who can afford to buy one are likely too old to care about it. Many of the wealthiest people I know hardly watch any TV. When they do, its always some 10 year old buzzing plasma which they house in a gaudy hutch which matches their gaudy coffee table.
CinemaAndy likes this.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Bowers and Wilkins HTM-61
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
Definitive Tech Supercube 2
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #15 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Curved, no go. ...Price, no go. ...Away, go.
Marc Wielage and RickyDeg like this.
post #16 of 96 Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
This set is super cool but man what a ridiculous price! Even for the most elite buyers it's just outrageous.
I'm reminded of the 103" Panasonic plasma that came out in 2010, the TH-103VX200, and I believe it retailed back then for more than $100,000. If memory serves, Bill Gates bought one (among other well-heeled customers). Because the set weighed about 500 pounds, you had to have extra-wide hallways and a forklift in order to move it into the house and then brace it to a (very sturdy) wall.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/Pl...-103VX200U.asp

So there is a precedent for this kind of thing. Me, I say if you're gonna spend $100K, get a front projector. Hell, spend $250K and get a 4K Christie or Sony cinema projector... as long as you can box it in, quiet it down, and get it ventilated, preferably with a separate projection room.
Reddig likes this.
post #17 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Just send the blonde and the brunette. They can keep the TV.
post #18 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 35
To tell the truth...........I would be surprised if they could sell even one of these.........even people who have that kind of dough are not that stupid and wasteful...............Taken 4........we need Liam.....
post #19 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Just send the blonde and the brunette. They can keep the TV.
They're curved too.
RickyDeg, Zenyatto and CinemaAndy like this.
post #20 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthanatos View Post
yup, this isn't for ppl who can afford to spend 120k on a tv, this is for ppl who can afford to spend 120k on impulse buys. chances are the future owners will also have expensive home theaters, and this will just be their living room tv, for when 'cribs' is filming...

amazing how obscene capitalism is at the extremes.
post #21 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
So there is a precedent for this kind of thing. Me, I say if you're gonna spend $100K, get a front projector. Hell, spend $250K and get a 4K Christie or Sony cinema projector... as long as you can box it in, quiet it down, and get it ventilated, preferably with a separate projection room.
You would not even have to spend the whole 120K. 60K would get you a 15 foot wide screen, Runco, Sim2 or DPI projector, Atmos system, speakers, rack, etc. Spend the other 60K on the room or put it in the bank.

15 feet sounds a lot better than 105" People always ask me if i'm worried about LCD/LED/OLED taking over the cinema's. And i tell them sure, right after they make them "acoustic transparent" or come up with micro speakers between the pixels. More to the point, i do not know a owner would would pay a gazillion dollars for one and wait 300 years for a return on investment.
cardoski likes this.
post #22 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 846
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
In 3 years this will be selling for under $10K. In 5 years $5K. In 10 years, you will have to pay someone on craigslist to come take it off of your hands.

Moore's Law...A blessing for the patient, a curse for the first adopters.
post #23 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

After wowing the crowds at CES last January, this ultrawide curved-screen UHDTV is now available to order—and it ain't cheap.

At CES 2014, Samsung, LG, and Toshiba introduced ultrawide UHDTVs measuring 105 inches diagonally with a pixel resolution of 5120x2160, which translates to an aspect ratio of 2.37:1—perfect for watching widescreen movies without letterbox bars. The Samsung and LG versions were curved, while the Toshiba was flat, and I thought the curve was actually a good thing with such a large screen, unlike the smaller flat panels in the Samsung and LG booths.

Many showgoers saw these sets as concept demos that were not necessarily destined to become commercially available products—a long-standing tradition at CES. Well, Samsung just announced that its version of this concept, the UN105S9W, can now be ordered for exactly one penny under $120,000. For that much, I would expect it to be delivered, installed, and calibrated, but Samsung informs me that's not part of the deal. According to the press release, "For owners of the 105" Curved UHDTV, Samsung will offer its 'Samsung Elite Service,' where customers can receive an in-home visit by Samsung Field Engineers who will explain the features of the TV and optimize it for their viewing environment." Apparently, that costs extra, and you still have to get the thing home from the authorized dealer to whom Samsung delivers it about 12 weeks after you place your order. Another additional cost is the wall-mount system, which requires one very sturdy wall!

The good news is that this LCD behemoth sports full-array LED backlighting with local dimming (FALD), which is superior to LED edgelighting in terms of uniformity and perceived contrast. And presumably it has a kick-ass video processor, which must upscale just about everything to its native resolution. (Hopefully, any UHD Blu-ray spec will include anamorphic encoding, which would allow widescreen movies to be shown on such a display at full resolution with little or no scaling.) For sports and news fanatics—and those with incredibly short attention spans—four HD signals from any source (broadcast, streaming, web, etc.) can be displayed at once. And of course, Samsung's Smart TV platform brings you tons of content from online providers.

Like all Samsung UHDTVs, this one houses the processing and connections in a One Connect box that can be swapped out—at extra expense—as new features and functions become available. This approach can't upgrade the panel's colorimetry or dynamic range, but it will allow, for example, faster connections and more online functions to be added.

Of course, this UHDTV is not intended for the mainstream TV buyer—it's aimed squarely at the 1%. But for those lucky few who can afford it, the UN105S9W has an undeniable wow factor that is sure to impress. I just wouldn't want to be the one who has to wrangle it into the house.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
meh
post #24 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 218
The top 1% possess "NET" wealth exceeding $5,000,000 making this just another toy to boast about as this would be an awesome talking piece to add to any estate HT where many of them spend sums far beyond this - I believe many here underestimate the true massive wealth of that 1%.

If you ever doubt that wealth exists just hop in your car and drive the thousands of miles of coast line or lakes littered with multi-million dollar properties or stand in the middle of NYC. Here in Naples. FL the hottest selling properties are those over $2 million or drive across gator alley to Palm Beach where old money is parked where this expense is just another toy and they don't care if they watch as these are folks that have numerous homes and a sheet load of cars - this is like adding another car they periodically may or may not use or a piece of art on/off. I'm certain Pro Athletes certainly would want one.

Now the plan for the rest of us includes getting a job at BB, use employee discount to get the price down to a BMW M3, and then file bankruptcy after it's firmly mounted to the home and live life like it's Idiocracy. - BTW this thing likely weighs far less and much thinner than the plasma behemoth.

Or we wait for Black Friday 2020.
Otium likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #25 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
The top 1% possess "NET" wealth exceeding $5,000,000 making this just another toy to boast about as this would be an awesome talking piece to add to any estate HT where many of them spend sums far beyond this - I believe many here underestimate the true massive wealth of that 1%.

If you ever doubt that wealth exists just hop in your car and drive the thousands of miles of coast line or lakes littered with multi-million dollar properties or stand in the middle of NYC. Here in Naples. FL the hottest selling properties are those over $2 million or drive across gator alley to Palm Beach where old money is parked where this expense is just another toy and they don't care if they watch as these are folks that have numerous homes and a sheet load of cars - this is like adding another car they periodically may or may not use or a piece of art on/off. I'm certain Pro Athletes certainly would want one.

Now the plan for the rest of us includes getting a job at BB, use employee discount to get the price down to a BMW M3, and then file bankruptcy after it's firmly mounted to the home and live life like it's Idiocracy. - BTW this thing likely weighs far less and much thinner than the plasma behemoth.

Or we wait for Black Friday 2020.
Plenty of people with net wealth of $5MM would not consider a $100K+ Tv purchase viable and certainly not "just another toy." For many that is retirement savings in the age where they have are no pensions, where they assume Social Security and Medicare may not last for their retirement, etc. I wouldn't go off of net wealth as a gauge of free spending comfort unless that wealth is at least 8-figures.
post #26 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
(Hopefully, any UHD Blu-ray spec will include anamorphic encoding, which would allow widescreen movies to be shown on such a display at full resolution with little or no scaling.)
a anamorphic source (3840x2160 AR 21/9) would always need scaling on any display with 1/1 PAR and "all" displays are 1/1 PAR these days. but it would be a great benefit for displays like this and no real problem for normal 16/9 displays.
post #27 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I wonder if AVAD, a major Samsung supplier to the trade is going to be allowed to sell it and what the margin will be to dealers. I wonder how wide the color space possible with the set is? This is no more expensive then buying one of those electric sport cars with the big battery package and several AV Science Forum members have purchased those. Of course they don't post much. Many posters I suspect think spending $50K on say a car is stupidity. How many own a recent year near top of the line Porshe. You would use the TV more probably than taking a plus $100K two seater car on the road. Don't have the money? You can blame only yourself. Its like anything else. A small percentage can indeed afford it and if its discretionary money you can spend it on what you want. Do you have any idea of the expected sales numbers world wide of these. I am guessing 25 to 100, but higher wouldn't surprise me.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #28 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Plenty of people with net wealth of $5MM would not consider a $100K+ Tv purchase viable and certainly not "just another toy." For many that is retirement savings in the age where they have are no pensions, where they assume Social Security and Medicare may not last for their retirement, etc. I wouldn't go off of net wealth as a gauge of free spending comfort unless that wealth is at least 8-figures.
I agree with that one. I've known enough people in that bracket, and they are the type that buy the bargain tv and save their pennies and invest wisely. You really need to be north of 10M to look at this as a toy.
post #29 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
No offense to Samsung, but if Vizio follows through and produces its 120-inch R series, then the UN105S9W will immediately assume the role of white elephant.
rcapprotti likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #30 of 96 Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
No offense to Samsung, but if Vizio follows through and produces its 120-inch R series, then the UN105S9W will immediately assume the role of white elephant.
Vizio will have the TV at like 25 grand. The price difference will be so much Samsung will be screwed.
rcapprotti likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page