Sharp Q+ 4k? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sharp Q+ 4k?

THis might be the wrong place to put this but i recently won a sharp LC-60UQ17U at work and on the specs it says Effective Resolution Up to 3840 x 2160 does that mean the TV can do 4k??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 349
It is the wrong place as you would have known had you looked at the sticky notes at the top of the section. Please read those before posting, next time. Post moved to the proper area.

To answer your question, apparently not: http://www.cnet.com/products/sharp-lc-60uq17u/

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pacalypsenow View Post
THis might be the wrong place to put this but i recently won a sharp LC-60UQ17U at work and on the specs it says Effective Resolution Up to 3840 x 2160 does that mean the TV can do 4k??
Now that you're here -- welcome!
The Q+ TVs deliver vertical resolution equivalent to 4K, but
the horizontal resolution remains at the 1080 standard.
They do it by splitting the pixels and then upscaling content.
Native 4K can't be used without an outside converter of some kind.
Congratulations on the win!
Here are a couple of threads of discussion of these sets:

2014 Sharp AQUOS Line-Up

Sharp UQ17U Calibrations

The SQ and the UQ are similar enough to share calibrations.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 182
What John posted it correct. Bottom line is it is not true/full 4K. Additionally, it doesn't handle the codecs or copy protection standards most Hollywood 4K content will (likely) use so the ability to play 4K content will be extremely limited. It's more useful as a feature for up-converting lower resolution content.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know if the 3D playback is upconverted?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 2
thank you for your response :-)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 303
September 2014 the True UHD Sharp debuts in a 60/70" dubbed "UD27".

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...essions-review

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that update! I'd been wondering about the 'Spectros' color -- this gives further detail
of deeper reds and greens to make the 21% gamut expansion claim. I wonder if it can make a
convincing Cyan? The blue would have to be warmed a bit for that. So long, yellow pixel, too.
I'll be happy with the Q+ for a while, but I'm glad to see Sharp is still in the game when I am in
the market again!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Reading up a bit and putting 2+2 together, I think Sharp is now using a green and red
phosphor combination with the blue LED to make a wider gamut. It was tried on high-end
laptops to give them wider colorspaces and I think that was enough proving ground for Sharp
to make the switch. They had been using a blue LED with a yellow phosphor that actually
radiated in the yellow spectrum and not just appearing to be yellow by combination of red and
green. This gave them a big advantage in brightness with the yellow pixel and the strong
blue LED combination. I can say that my Q+ has much stronger red than the 2 year old
Quattron that it replaced, but the blue LED is the same and slightly too violet to mix well with
green to make Cyan. The big mystery is whether or not the blue is altered in any way to get
closer to an ideal mixing color. Brightness will have to be derived the old-fashioned way
without the yellow pixel and the green will have to mix both with red and with blue, so it is
a bit hemmed in now. Meantime, I have my UQ17U pegged in both saturation and value in
the CMS Cyan channel and the Blue dialed towards warmth (green) to achieve a pleasing
picture AND get the benefit of high brightness from the Yellow pixel. Some fleshtones still
suffer a bit of the sulfur-cheek problem from too aggressive an algorithm on the yellow, though.
Some may have to do with the Enhanced Resolution, too, because the old Quad Pixel Plus had
a tendency to make certain test patterns turn yellow. It is good to see Sharp return to earth
without the Yellow for the next generation. How about a blue/green 4th pixel next time around?
That would open up the side of the color chart that is remote at the moment, but would not do
a lot for overall brightness the way that the Yellow did -- less bang for more bucks...