Panasonic AX900 worth waiting? Or should i go Plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Panasonic AX900 worth waiting? Or should i go Plasma?

I want to buy a Reference Quality TV, and i have the chance to buy a Panasonic VT65 Plasma brand new.
However in couple of weeks Panasonc will release to the market the new AX900 LED 4k.

My concern is how 1080p content will look in this TV...because the first batch of 4k TV's, the 1080p picture was very poor....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Not sure which UHD TVs you've seen, but all the 2014s I've seen have very good upconversion from HD>UHD.
Citivas likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Depends entirely on your viewing conditions and whether you want 4k.

Right now, nothing but OLED beats the VT65 plasma in dim/dark room.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_to_the_Sound View Post
I want to buy a Reference Quality TV, and i have the chance to buy a Panasonic VT65 Plasma brand new.
However in couple of weeks Panasonc will release to the market the new AX900 LED 4k.

My concern is how 1080p content will look in this TV...because the first batch of 4k TV's, the 1080p picture was very poor....
do you know what that date is? im looking at the big boy tvsnow, would like to know when that one along with the ax800 willbe available in 85 size
post #5 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure of the release date, but according to Panasonic it should be in September.
Black levels are my concern too, but the AX900 comes with Panasonic Master Panel and they say the black levels are the same as Plasma. Let's see...
post #6 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
Depends entirely on your viewing conditions and whether you want 4k.

Right now, nothing but OLED beats the VT65 plasma in dim/dark room.
Though Ryan is probably right, just wait until the reviews come out for the AX900. Panasonic has said this full array local dimming 4K set with 128 16×8 dimming zones for the 55" and 65" IPS panels will rival plasma. Unless the AX900 bombs with poor contrast and blacks, why turn back the clock and buy 1080p?
post #7 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If the potential issues (image retention, possible burn-in, added heat output) of plasma don't concern you then I'd easily say go for that over waiting for the AX900. The AX900 will surely cost a hell of a lot more and I highly doubt the image quality will be better than the VT65 despite what Panasonic says.

ROB
post #8 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
Though Ryan is probably right, just wait until the reviews come out for the AX900. Panasonic has said this full array local dimming 4K set with 128 16×8 dimming zones for the 55" and 65" IPS panels will rival plasma. Unless the AX900 bombs with poor contrast and blacks, why turn back the clock and buy 1080p?
Why buy an early 4k set when the standard isn't even worked out and there is hardly any content and you will be paying a massive premium? I see zero reason for anyone who is fine with plasma and its drawbacks to go and buy a 4k LCD set if they have no real use for that added resolution right now.

Panasonic like any company says a lot of things to try and sell their products and it doesn't mean it is true coming from a company that is looking to sell their wares. Obviously they aren't going to say "This tv will be inferior to the technology we just dumped"

The fact it is an IPS panel pretty much says there is no way it is going to rival top plasmas when it comes to black level and contrast in a dark room. Not like it has a lot of zones either.

ROB
post #9 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At best it looks as good as the Sony 950b, go check out that $8k panel and decided if that quality is good enough, if not, no pint in waiting for it, who knows if it even comes out.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post
At best it looks as good as the Sony 950b, go check out that $8k panel and decided if that quality is good enough, if not, no pint in waiting for it, who knows if it even comes out.
I read some reviews and Sony 4k TV's have a little trouble on 1080p images, they have motion problems, and that doesn't seem good to me.

When i see "Demo" on any 4k TV on the market i don't get impressed, because all my contents right now are 1080p and if a TV doesn't handle 1080p in a perfect way, let's say like a Pioneer Kuro or a Panasonic VT/Z60 or 65 they are no worth to buy.

As for image retention i've had Pioneer Kuro and never had any issues, i was careful alright and the TV never give me any trouble.

And that also for Panasonic, i don't believe the ZT60 or VT65 will burn in normal circunstances, i won't put a movie in "Pause Mode" for even 2 minutes and i don't watch always the same TV channel. Besides we can activate monitor defense mechanism.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Panasonic wants to sell their new product. It's not like Panasonic is really going to throw an ad out saying "AX900: Not the ZT60, but what choice do you have?"

post #12 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Not sure of the release date, but according to Panasonic it should be in September.
Black levels are my concern too, but the AX900 comes with Panasonic Master Panel and they say the black levels are the same as Plasma. Let's see...
I would go with the plasma. Either the Samsung F8500 or one of the Panasonics. I think quality FALD sets can get close enough to plasma black levels not to be a factor anymore. However, other things like motion handling and viewing angles are much more problematic.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
still not "worth" such as go to A9x instead Z/V6x !!

so you will prefere Z6 even V6x

therefore A9x "might be ok"! but cant catch Blacks/Contrast and the most important thing is "details"!!

so dont compare A9x with Z/V6x!

but if you compare A9x or/even Z/V6 with OLED panel might be you right go to Oled(but I do not!!)

Oled;always saying and talking "Blacks" and its fine,very good but about "details"!!! sorry I cheched with couple of days Z6 and Oled>>>in "FILMS"
Pany is awesome and I do not compare with Oled,so if you are a a lot of Film watcher so just go Z6x

Pany s lot off infos are "marketing tool"!! (even 4Ks are marketing tool as well!!)

For "Films" PDP still best(even PJs)

well all those comments are mine!

bye++

Tosh 46SV685&Tosh 42WL863

Panasonic BluRay BDT320EG&Toshiba BluRay BDX5400

post #14 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Why Panasonic? I doubt AX900 will be as good as Sony x950. I would wait however the Vizio reference series.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Panasonic AX900 worth waiting? Or should i go Plasma?

Quote:
I read some reviews and Sony 4k TV's have a little trouble on 1080p images, they have motion problems, and that doesn't seem good to me.

When i see "Demo" on any 4k TV on the market i don't get impressed, because all my contents right now are 1080p and if a TV doesn't handle 1080p in a perfect way, let's say like a Pioneer Kuro or a Panasonic VT/Z60 or 65 they are no worth to buy.

As for image retention i've had Pioneer Kuro and never had any issues, i was careful alright and the TV never give me any trouble.

And that also for Panasonic, i don't believe the ZT60 or VT65 will burn in normal circunstances, i won't put a movie in "Pause Mode" for even 2 minutes and i don't watch always the same TV channel. Besides we can activate monitor defense mechanism.

Go to the Sony store ask them to hook up a bluray player, they have plenty of content to show. Set it custom, turn off all processing on the player and TV, turn off the auto dimming. See how it looks. I was impressed with what I saw as my expectations were low.

Motion is not going to be like the Plasmas, but the Samsung's have some custom control settings that helps balance this out without the frame rate quadrupling that makes it look like soap video. Sony's did not have the same granular control.

Also I don't expect Panasonic to be in the panel business for much longer.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by albani View Post
still not "worth" such as go to A9x instead Z/V6x !!

so you will prefere Z6 even V6x

therefore A9x "might be ok"! but cant catch Blacks/Contrast and the most important thing is "details"!!

so dont compare A9x with Z/V6x!

but if you compare A9x or/even Z/V6 with OLED panel might be you right go to Oled(but I do not!!)

Oled;always saying and talking "Blacks" and its fine,very good but about "details"!!! sorry I cheched with couple of days Z6 and Oled>>>in "FILMS"
Pany is awesome and I do not compare with Oled,so if you are a a lot of Film watcher so just go Z6x

Pany s lot off infos are "marketing tool"!! (even 4Ks are marketing tool as well!!)

For "Films" PDP still best(even PJs)

well all those comments are mine!

bye++
What he said?
post #17 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Why Panasonic? I doubt AX900 will be as good as Sony x950. I would wait however the Vizio reference series.
Don't start with that silliness. you'll be waiting forever it that's the case.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #18 of 22 Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 59
While it's true that there is limited 4K material currently available, simply "being fine with plasma" is IMO no reason alone to forego a 4k set if one is available in your price point. For one, their higher resolution images will be noticeably better than a 1080p plasma. So if you want a larger screen, you can continue watching it from the same seating position as your current HDTV. Want full HD 3D? Only 4K sets can deliver full 1080p 3D images to both your eyes. Even if the set you're considering isn't HDMI 2.0, there’s no reason it won’t be able to play 4K content created in the future. HDMI 1.4 will transmit a 4K signal up to 30 Hz which is enough for a 24p frame-rate Blu-ray film or even native 4K film content streamed from a server. Then there's upscaling to consider. Nearly all the 4K sets I've read about make 1080p content look better. Apparently, it's not an overly dramatic improvement but is quite noticeable.

As someone who has dealt with a pathetic cold cathode tube LCD that can produce a grayish, blotchy mess of a dark scene (you would shudder if you saw the Voldemort attack on Hogswart scene from Harry Potter Deathly Hollows Pt II on my set), I am particularly interested in how a set will produce blacks and contrast levels. For that reason, I plan to buy the top performing full array local dimming (3D) set from the Value Electronics shootout. For me, it will undoubtedly display blacks leaps and bounds beyond what I have had to endure over the past 7 years. For others, like owners of the Kuro or the VT plasma series, there might never be an LCD that will meet their expectations. So, like with most HT components, you can choose to wait or you can choose to step forward. But the choice is yours to make.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've spoken with a few reps who have talked to higher ups in Panny and they have some strong statements they have made about the AX900. Coming from someone who has bought two Sony XBR 950B sets and replaced them ea 3 times only to have one that was ok on panel defects, I'd definitely say don't bother with Sony. Many others like myself have had several swaps done and many of us have returned them. Even the delivery guys commented how many Sony TV's come back.

Having owned a Panny Plasma before, VT30, I'd say if you are not a gamer, don't mind babysitting the set, are ok with buzzing, rising blacks, and higher amounts of heat and power usage then go the cheaper route. I liked the uniformity and off angle viewing with Panasonic. However, I game, I have kids, and don't like the other aforementioned issues. Which is why I think Panasonic has something to prove with this set, and companies with something to prove always grab my attention because there seems to be a higher focus on quality, hopefully.

I know this AX900 will have a mini display port capable of 60fps at 4:4:4, will have a 3GHz Quad core processor able to supposedly do backlight calculations real time (maybe have acceptable lag of 40ms in gaming?), and also has an IPS panel and a design that looks high grade.

Samsung had a lot with their panels, except higher input lag and being edge lit. Sony TV sets look cheap, feel cheap, and are laden with QC issues. So I'm happy to wait until this set drops as it's my only other option until the 15's come out, and I need to replace my two sets. So here is hoping.
marcuslaw likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-28-2014, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
What he said?

well he said that;"PDP" is still best>>> so "ZT60" the right choice
bye++

Tosh 46SV685&Tosh 42WL863

Panasonic BluRay BDT320EG&Toshiba BluRay BDX5400

post #21 of 22 Old 07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Panasonic must be losing money in its TV division this year. For most of 2014 you could not by their 2013 Plasma line. Their 2014 4K LED line first model, AX800, is only available from Panasonic direct (usually BB, Amazon, etc. would have Panasonic's best models). The AX900 is not even out yet and by the time it is, it will be just a few months until CES and the 2015 line gets announced (which will be vapor until many months into 2015 for sure, but it will still freeze some potential buyers).

I'm wondering if Panasonic is at risk of exiting the TV business altogether.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm not sure what they are doing, but let's hope they are regrouping.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - ax900 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page