Samsung HDMI Calibration and ADC Results, LED 6 Series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung HDMI Calibration and ADC Results, LED 6 Series

I just bought a UN48H6350 from Amazon. I did something completely stupid (when looking for why my TV was dimming) and accidentally did an HDMI calibration when trying to back out of the Service Menu and the colors on the TV have been horrible since. Would someone happen to be able to post their HDMI ADC Results for their TV, preferably one that is maybe a 6 series? I greatly appreciate it--it could save me $250 in getting a service call and a return of the TV (which I still might do if I can't get it right).

Also just for my learning, if anyone knows what these values do or the best way to recalibrate, that would be very helpful--anything to avoid $250 service call and maybe even to help others in my situation. After 2 days of research and using a checkerboard image, I have had a successful HDMI Calibration but the image still isn't right (too much saturation, red, and/or contrast).

Thank you all in advance.

To get to the ADC Results:
- turn off the TV,
- press Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power in that order.
- the TV will turn on with a service menu in the top left corner
- use the arrows and go down to ADC/WB > ADC Result
- Caution: the left arrow button seems to be equivalent to the select button. This is the button I pushed on mistake to do an HDMI calibration.

My current ADC Results:

1st_Y_GH = 128
1st_Y_GL = 128
1st_Cb_BH = 128
1st_Cb_BL = 128
1st_Cr_RH = 128
1st_Cr_RL = 128
2nd_R_L = 77
2nd_G_L = 77
2nd_B_L = 77
2nd_R_H = 94
2nd_G_H = 94
2nd_B_H = 94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The basic rule of thumb is NEVER go into the Service Menu because, as you have seen, because that is the easiest way to brick a tv. There's really nothing there for you to see. SM codes are quite often not only model specific, but specific to the mobo builds and serial numbers as well as the firmware versions. There's no guarantee that what works one model will work for the same model elsewhere. Good luck with your service call. Your safest bet is to adjust your set with a calibration disk as best as you can with what user accessible controls you have. Or, buy a light meter with software and learn how to calibrate yourself, or pay for a professional calibration, which can be anywhere from $250 - $500 depending on the model and what you want done.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The basic rule of thumb is NEVER go into the Service Menu because, as you have seen, because that is the easiest way to brick a tv. There's really nothing there for you to see. SM codes are quite often not only model specific, but specific to the mobo builds and serial numbers as well as the firmware versions. There's no guarantee that what works one model will work for the same model elsewhere. Good luck with your service call. Your safest bet is to adjust your set with a calibration disk as best as you can with what user accessible controls you have. Or, buy a light meter with software and learn how to calibrate yourself, or pay for a professional calibration, which can be anywhere from $250 - $500 depending on the model and what you want done.
Yeah I read that a lot during my research and unfortunately read it all after my screw-up.

If anyone has their ADC Results and White Balance settings from a UN48H6350 or similar unit, that would be a good place for me to start and then I can decide whether or not to return my unit. I just upped my White Balance to 128 across the board and its looking more like how the unit started.

My current settings:
1st_Y_GH = 0
1st_Y_GL = 0
1st_Cb_BH = 0
1st_Cb_BL = 0
1st_Cr_RH = 0
1st_Cr_RL = 0
2nd_R_L = 77
2nd_G_L = 77
2nd_B_L = 77
2nd_R_H = 95
2nd_G_H = 95
2nd_B_H = 95

R-Offset = 128
G-Offset = 128
B-Offset = 128
R-Gain = 147
G-Gain = 128
B-Gain = 173

It's looking very close to awesome now... then again I'm no color pro. Still would like people's stock values if possible.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Bottom line is if you like your pq, then that's all that matters. Lesson learned and hopefully you can get it tweaked to taste with just a disk and not in the SM. If you do find another set of settings you want to try, write the current ones down in case you don't like what you get. But remember, everytime you go into the SM, you take that chance. And, there's no telling what will happen once you update the tv.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bottom line is if you like your pq, then that's all that matters. Lesson learned and hopefully you can get it tweaked to taste with just a disk and not in the SM. If you do find another set of settings you want to try, write the current ones down in case you don't like what you get. But remember, everytime you go into the SM, you take that chance. And, there's no telling what will happen once you update the tv.
Thank you for the feedback, Otto. I'm running AVS HD 709 now to make it even better. I have a question if you could enlighten me..

Should I do any of the AVS HD 709 tests while in the Service Menu and tweak the White Balance values? I know there are White Balance values in the service menu and in the regular menu. When should I change the ones in the service menu?

AVS HD test:
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

The directions I'm following for introduction:
http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to...inutes-or-less
post #6 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al254 View Post
Thank you for the feedback, Otto. I'm running AVS HD 709 now to make it even better. I have a question if you could enlighten me..

Should I do any of the AVS HD 709 tests while in the Service Menu and tweak the White Balance values? I know there are White Balance values in the service menu and in the regular menu. When should I change the ones in the service menu?

AVS HD test:
AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

The directions I'm following for introduction:
http://lifehacker.com/5858625/how-to...inutes-or-less
No. I would stay out of the SM altogether. Just adjust what you can with the normal user accessible controls. The SM values were factory set based on whatever they use to QC the tv. Your values are off now from the factory set values which, again, are specific your build version, main board version, firmware version, and component tolerances. Hopefully you can find a way to reset those values but any adjustment with AVS HD709 or any other disk for that matter should be done with the normal user controls.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank again, will do. Hopefully someone with the same TV can post their ADC Results and White Balance in the Service Menu and I'll probably just go with what they have.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The values for adc result from the factory are:

I have un40h6350 so they are probably the same.

I have found that there is too much green and red, so I have changed to:

I also noticed that the contrast increased. Do you know exactly what attributesof the picture are controlled by these valuesbesides color?

Last edited by frankg327; 08-02-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The values may or may not be the same for the reasons I gave above. I believe that the SM values are set according to how the factory determines what is "in spec" as far as pq goes. The user accessible controls adjust using those values as a baseline. The user accessible controls should not affect the SM values but the opposite is not true. Altering the SM values from what was set at the factory can affect your pq and how those values relate to the user accessible settings.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The values may or may not be the same for the reasons I gave above. I believe that the SM values are set according to how the factory determines what is "in spec" as far as pq goes. The user accessible controls adjust using those values as a baseline. The user accessible controls should not affect the SM values but the opposite is not true. Altering the SM values from what was set at the factory can affect your pq and how those values relate to the user accessible settings.
There is no user-accessible controls for white balance in dynamic mode on a Samsung tv. The fact that all three rgb values are the same leads me to believe that the values are pre-programmed into the eeprom at the factory. Red is a more dominant color on the visible spectrum than blue and blue is dominant over green. The values should not be the same . Can you explain how the adc values relate to the offset and gain which are totally separate values. What is the significance of 2nd_r_h and 2nd _r_l. Is there a tutorial here or elsewhere on the web specific to Samsung?

I have yet to owna Samsung tv where the whites are actually white . It has always beensome conglomeration of rgb.

Last edited by frankg327; 08-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-02-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Each mfr decides how they want to set their adjustments. LG tv's for example, allow you full access to CMS calibration settings (at least my LG does) so that you can set these either by eye, with an disk, or a light meter/software. Why some mfrs don't do this is known only to them. Some tv's I believe can only be fully calibrated from within the SM, but whether that's still true or not with today's tv's, I don't know.

I don't know of any specific tutorial for Samsung tv's for a specific model and build year. You may get better help in the Display Calibration forum as there are professional calibrators there who can answer your specific questions better.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg327 View Post
The values for adc result from the factory are:

I have un40h6350 so they are probably the same.

I have found that there is too much green and red, so I have changed to:

I also noticed that the contrast increased. Do you know exactly what attributesof the picture are controlled by these valuesbesides color?

Thanks Frank! I am going to try these out. I think my current settings make the picture a little washed out with brightness.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-06-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, were those ADC Result values or RGB Gain and Offset? If they were ADC Result values, could you read off your RGB Gain and Offset values in the White Balance menu?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page