Sceptre X505BV-FMQR Receiving digital channels.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Talking Sceptre X505BV-FMQR Receiving digital channels..

Hello, everyone! I am a complete (AND TOTAL) novice when it comes to this stuff, hoping you could help me.. Here's my question:

We just bought this TV:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-X5...-HDTV/27678567

After scanning on the "cable" setting (the other option is "air") we only received 52 regular cable channels, no digital. I find that weird because we have 2 other Sceptre TVs (smaller ones) in our other rooms and they immediately picked up tons of channels after scanning. They go from 2-76, and then the various digital channels from 80-something to 100-something. We only have standard cable through TWC, (the kind that's around $65 a month) and no digital cable box or anything (the fancy stuff that has a cool remote and a "guide" onscreen). We just have good ol' cable with 1 long wire. We live in So Cal, if that makes any difference (LA). Why is this TV not picking up any digital channels like the other ones? I was told perhaps because it's not QAM(?) supported? Online it seems to say that it is, but in the manual, it says it's not. Thanks for any help. I don't want to return the darn thing since the price is so awesome. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Please read page 1 of your owner's manual.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
From W/M's specifications for the TV:
Digital TV Tuner Digital TV Tuner: ATSC, QAM
None of the 50 or so odd reviews I looked at mentioned anything about the tuner.....
post #4 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 376
As ProjectSHO89, said, page one of the owner's manual states in big bold text:
Quote:
This TV does NOT have QAM support. For digital cable, you’ll need a
cable box.
Here's the manual:
http://www.sceptre.com/pub/Manuals/L...-FMQR%20v5.pdf

Sounds like you need to return it or get a cable box, QAM tuner ($31 iView 3500STB for example) or cable card tuner (Tivo, Ceton, Silicon Dust, Samsung).

Last edited by mdavej; 07-27-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for those of you who're attempting to help a complete (and total) novice like me. The reason I said "novice" in my original post is because I know ZERO about these things. It's all like reading Japanese to me (and I don't know Japanese). I've read the manual 4+ times, and its still unclear, hence why I'm here.

For those of you that don't get what that's like, and I'm assuming you're mostly gentlemen.. think about me telling you to make a souffle, a flambe, and an entire Thanksgiving dinner for 100 people. That sounds easy to me. Might sound hard to you. If you read a recipe, you're still pretty screwed, even if you read it 10 times. That's kind of my experience with reading a TV manual. I'm still pretty screwed regardless of how many times I read it.

Anywho, apparently I'm assuming I now need something that supports "QAM" to get "digital cable." If I get a QAM tuner, will it pick up the various digital channels my other tvs do? Ah, yes, and my confusion does also stem from it saying ATSC/QAM on the Walmart website, leading me to believe that perhaps it does have.. whatever it's supposed to have. :P Apparently not, though. :/ Dang.

Gentlemen, please be kind, I need this info spoon-fed to me. Haha. A million thanks.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-27-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
QAM is the method of transmission for digital cable. No QAM tuner = no digital cable for you.

Cable boxes also have QAM tuners, along with decryption technology for encrypted channels, but apparently the channels you want don't have encryption as your other QAM equipped TVs are receiving what you want.

If you don't want to return the TV, yeah, get a standalone QAM tuner. A cheap one was mentioned above. It will most likely require its own remote or a universal remote (like a Harmony) to change the channels, but it will work.

And yes, WalMart's site is HORRIBLE for accurate product descriptions. I always recommend looking up a product like that elsewhere, or even asking here.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'm a bit confused by your claim that your OTHER Sceptre TV's are "receiving" Digital TV Channels...if they have QAM Tuners, they might be FINDING Ch100+ Digital Channels, but they won't actually DISPLAY a picture unless they are equipped with either a CableBox or a CableCARD plugged into a matching card slot on the TV's to decrypt the digital signals (if so equipped).

Since the SD Digital Channels that replicate the Analog Channels "should" be encrypted, the ONLY programs you should actually be able to SEE, are the ANALOG Channels (easy to identify, since they do NOT have decimal channel numbers). If you can "see" the SD Digital Channels (will have a DECIMAL Channel Number, e.g. 7.1, 13.1, 109.3, etc), then TWC has not YET encrypted this tier IN YOUR AREA.....but they PLAN TO in the very near future, making Unencrypted, "Clear" QAM Tuners obsolete.

Your new Scepter also should be incapable of displaying encrypted Digital Channels, unless it is also capable of accepting a CableCARD decryption card (rarely if ever seen in new sets)...or uses an external CableBox.

Whatever the case, TWC SOCAL is in the process of ELIMINATING ALL ANALOG CHANNELS...it's just a matter of which month your neighborhood gets shifted over to ALL DIGITAL. Prior to this happening, TWC should notify you that you will need a DTA (Digital Terminal Adapter) for each and EVERY TV or HDTV connected to Cable....which "should" be free for the first year and perhaps $1.50 to $2.00 each per month thereafter....or upgrade to a fully functioning CableBox/DVR.

Last edited by holl_ands; 07-28-2014 at 11:45 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
I'm a bit confused by your claim that your OTHER Sceptre TV's are "receiving" Digital TV Channels...if they have QAM Tuners, they might be FINDING Ch100+ Digital Channels, but they won't actually DISPLAY a picture unless they are equipped with either a CableBox or a CableCARD plugged into a matching card slot on the TV's to decrypt the digital signals (if so equipped).

Since the SD Digital Channels that replicate the Analog Channels "should" be encrypted, the ONLY programs you should actually be able to SEE, are the ANALOG Channels (easy to identify, since they do NOT have decimal channel numbers). If you can "see" the SD Digital Channels (will have a DECIMAL Channel Number, e.g. 7.1, 13.1, 109.3, etc), then TWC has not YET encrypted this tier IN YOUR AREA.....but they PLAN TO in the very near future, making Unencrypted, "Clear" QAM Tuners obsolete.

Your new Scepter also should be incapable of displaying encrypted Digital Channels, unless it is also capable of accepting a CableCARD decryption card (rarely if ever seen in new sets)...or uses an external CableBox.

Whatever the case, TWC SOCAL is in the process of ELIMINATING ALL ANALOG CHANNELS...it's just a matter of which month your neighborhood gets shifted over to ALL DIGITAL. Prior to this happening, TWC should notify you that you will need a DTA (Digital Terminal Adapter) for each and EVERY TV or HDTV connected to Cable....which "should" be free for the first year and perhaps $1.50 to $2.00 each per month thereafter....or upgrade to a fully functioning CableBox/DVR.
Thanks for your reply.. Unfortunately, I honestly can say that I only understood about half of what you said.. I don't know what you mean by encrypted, SD digital channels, etc.. So.. ya. Sorry I can't be more clear. I'm just inherently bad at understanding those kind of things. Ask me about Shakespeare, and I can help you. Ask me about tech, and I'll curl up into the fetal position and suck my thumb.

I do know, however, that TWC is doing.. whatever you said.. in my area and that I would need a digital adapter. Is that the same thing as those digital converter box thingies? Or no?

I'm able to watch lots of other channels on my 2 other Sceptres, for about 2 years now.. so what you're saying is that after this conversion thing is over (August 5th, I guess?), I won't be able to see those channels anymore? Like COZI TV, LWN, etc.. or will I not be able to see my regular analog(?) channels like Cartoon Network and Food Network and whatnot.. Or both? Again, I have no additional boxes or whatever.

Please spoon feed me. Preferably gently.

Thank you.

And also, what do you guys think of this TV? I think I'm returning the Sceptre to Walmart, as it's also doing a weird blinking thing 2 seconds after I change every channel.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...eC1gs2769rBMvA
post #9 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyedhippie View Post

How you currently watch TV will soon go bye-bye. When the day comes that your TV no worky anymore, you will have to rent a cablebox from TW in order to watch anything. You will need to rent an HD cablebox in order to watch HD and SD channels or you will rent an SD cablebox (digital adapter) in order to watch everything in SD (standard definition) only.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!

Last edited by Aero 1; 07-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Hope the new TV works out.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The iView box, while cheap is NOT what I'd suggest for the OP. It's quirky(buggy) and while it may tune clear QAM it doesn't always work so good. Besides that the OP would need to go to another input on the TV and use the iView remote.
I'd really look into exchanging the TV for one that tunes QAM, that or as another poster said, clear QAM is going the way of the DoDo bird and won't be around much longer anyway. Pretty soon everything on cable will be all scrambled making clear QAM tuners all but useless.
I have a iView but note with PSIP(and many times cable systems don't supply it) it won't really work and even with PSIP the channel numbers may be different than other TVs. That and the units display is only channel number order, it doesn't have anything to do with the actual channel number.

Last edited by jjeff; 07-28-2014 at 03:31 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 282
retitled. Moved to displays forum.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyedhippie View Post
Thanks for your reply.. Unfortunately, I honestly can say that I only understood about half of what you said.. I don't know what you mean by encrypted, SD digital channels, etc.. So.. ya. Sorry I can't be more clear. I'm just inherently bad at understanding those kind of things. Ask me about Shakespeare, and I can help you. Ask me about tech, and I'll curl up into the fetal position and suck my thumb.

I do know, however, that TWC is doing.. whatever you said.. in my area and that I would need a digital adapter. Is that the same thing as those digital converter box thingies? Or no?

I'm able to watch lots of other channels on my 2 other Sceptres, for about 2 years now.. so what you're saying is that after this conversion thing is over (August 5th, I guess?), I won't be able to see those channels anymore? Like COZI TV, LWN, etc.. or will I not be able to see my regular analog(?) channels like Cartoon Network and Food Network and whatnot.. Or both? Again, I have no additional boxes or whatever.

Thank you.

And also, what do you guys think of this TV? I think I'm returning the Sceptre to Walmart, as it's also doing a weird blinking thing 2 seconds after I change every channel.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...eC1gs2769rBMvA
I think it is a better choice than the Sceptre. It appears to have the QAM tuner that you need. I don't know how much longer that will work. I have Time Warner cable in Nebraska and have 3 sets with an HD cable box and 2 sets just running coax to the set. I get about 12 stations in clear QAM on the 2 sets plus about 50 analog channels.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page