[Urgent]Mounting TV - Can spacer be used the opposite way? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[Urgent]Mounting TV - Can spacer be used the opposite way?

Can the spacer be used the opposite way in this photo? The spacer would be on the outside rather than be between the tv and mounting bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One reason for the spacer is to elevate the mount from the rear cover of the TV. I've been sent to correct "buzzing speaker" issues and the problem turned out to be audible vibration between the mount and the rear cover at certain frequencies. But repairing many sets, I've seen many with the spacer on the outside.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_minimalist View Post
Can the spacer be used the opposite way in this photo? The spacer would be on the outside rather than be between the tv and mounting bracket.

Yes you can. I assume you're doing this so you can still use the longer bolt. Just make sure you will have enough space to pass your cables, power, hdmi, etc... Last thing you want to do is hoist a tv up and realize you can't plug anything in.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgayres View Post
One reason for the spacer is to elevate the mount from the rear cover of the TV. I've been sent to correct "buzzing speaker" issues and the problem turned out to be audible vibration between the mount and the rear cover at certain frequencies. But repairing many sets, I've seen many with the spacer on the outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshdtv View Post
Yes you can. I assume you're doing this so you can still use the longer bolt. Just make sure you will have enough space to pass your cables, power, hdmi, etc... Last thing you want to do is hoist a tv up and realize you can't plug anything in.
Thanks guys. I just ended up going to get a slightly shorter screw. Question for you sgayres though. Is the reason for the audible vibration from the spacer? Should I expect that since I have to use one?
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No - the vibrations that I've seen were caused by no spacer where the vertical mounting bar was directly contacting the rear cover of the TV. End users complained that when their sets were turned up loud on a movie or music program, certain frequencies would cause the buzzing noise. The first time I ran into one of these, it took a while to figure out that the back of the TV was vibrating against the mount. Because of this possibility, I always isolate the TV and mount with plastic or rubber spacers.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page