Held Deciding: Samsung UN60H6203 or Sony KDL-60W630B? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Held Deciding: Samsung UN60H6203 or Sony KDL-60W630B?

I am looking for a modestly priced 60" inch LCD television and have recently come across good deals on both of these models (around $1,000 or so).

I have not found much in the way of reviews or discussions of either model -- any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i was so excited to see your post because i am seriously considering the w630b after (what i consider) heavy research having no experience in the tv dept WHATSOEVER. To my frustration it seems to be the least reviewed of all this year's Bravias ... i also posted here a couple days ago and so far nobody seems to have any thoughts for me either lol which one did you get? I've done all my research on bravias simply because introducing my brain to tbs with more than one brand is too mind boggling. but i kinda chose sony because "they say" samsung over does it with the color and it looks a tad fake at times. I went to see for myself and while the picture is absolutely incredible looking detail wise (both 4k and 1080) the color on the samsung models seem over-saturated as the sonys look just as stunning but have a more natural look to the color.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm a big fan of the w630b. Colors look good with pretty good dark detail. It has frame dimming, similar to the h6350, but with better processing (in my opinion).

My only gripe is the placement of connectors, with the Ethernet connector and RCA's directly in the back.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking at this one too. It looks very impressive to my untrained eye.

Found this thread with some owners opinions:
Sony W630B Opinions
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'll make this a bit wordy as I have not seen much info on this set and I find it interesting when someone lets others know what they are comparing a new piece of equipment to and the content they are watching.

My 60W630B was delivered early Saturday morning. Set up was easy it found a few HD channels via my building's shared antenna my old 40V2500 didn't receive then it lost them, but I was expecting that, then again I don't really know what kind of antenna is up there. The 1080i/720p 2s, 4s, 5s and 7s look splendid after a little tweaking. Out of the box most consumers will be happy with the picture and there are plenty of preset modes to play with.

I found some settings on rtings for the 55W800B, 60W850B and 55W950B which are close cousins to our set, but the settings are made using the game mode and I didn't want to go that route yet as I mainly watch movies and shows on DVD/BD on a BD player and Netflix on a WD TV Live. So I've made some quick lazy settings and mind you I had my 40V2500 set a bit dark for 6+ years. My living room is medium-high lit with a 24w CFL photography studio light sitting about 3' to the right of the TV pointed at the ceiling so it cast no direct light on the screen and my heavy curtained windows are behind the TV. The lighting was important for me because I had gotten used to the matte of the 40V2500. The 60W630B does show reflection on totally dark screen and is something I can see myself getting used to as so far it has not distracted me from enjoying a movie.

HDMI inputs 3 &4 & antenna input: Cinema 1:
Back-light: Min
Picture: 80
Brightness: 50
Color: through Noise Filtering: left as is
Smooth Graduation: antenna Low - Motionflow: - CineMotion: all 3 off for HDMI (funny with all three on(I forgot how high the settings) interior scenes from The Big White made me feel like I was watching a live play)
Advanced: All left as is
There are also some Pro setting I have not touched yet
I also set eco Power Saving to Low

Yeah I know I only tweaked a few settings and they are far from perfect, but I did say they were quick and lazy settings. I hope to do a complete amateur calibration when not so lazy, but so far this set is a keeper.

So far I have watched a few early and later episodes of Criminal Minds via Netflix over the WD TV (I have to get used to having a smart TV) @ 720P up-converted to 10080P by my Yamaha A2010 receiver (I set the WD at 720P because I found I have less instances of streaming quality drops and outright freezes than if @ 1080P) and The Big White on BD and some TV news.

All looked great and better than I had expected. I'm a big fan of 70s cop shows and some other 4:3 TV shows from 70s, 80s and 90s, my BDP-S1 (not the best quality player out there but it has served me well) connected to my 40V did a great job of stretching that older content to fit the full 16:9 screen without too much distortion and the picture looked great and I have high hopes now that Sony hasn't changed that quality up-conversion/player&TV sync as I have about 1500 movies and TV shows on DVD. We'll see how those shows look later today plus how DVD movies look. I have yet to hook up the Oppo 103 to a TV let alone the new set... I am told it will make the BDP-S1 look like a cheap toy. Haven't done any full screen color pixel tests, but so far I have not seen a pixel out of place. I'll start messing with the web and smart features in a few weeks as that was low priority for me.

Has anyone else purchased this set and want to share their numbers and viewing experience?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - UN60H6203 by PriceGrabber.com