LG 4k OLED in September! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
If you read the owner's thread on the LG model, there are a couple of owners with burn in, a couple with yellowing and quite a few with multiple dead (visible) pixels. These all sound like "issues" to me.

Quite honestly, if these two users didn't have actual burn-in, I'd already own one of these.
Boy, I am sure glad there are other units talked about on AVS with no issues........There are issues reported with every set. The plain facts are, LG OLED's are the new king of the hill by far. I just wonder if LG will have any competitors in this area ??

Not to mention these 65EC9700 units have an amazing price !! I paid $1600 more for the 55" 1080P set last year .
vaktmestern and peschiNL like this.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 07-31-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Boy, I am sure glad there are other units talked about on AVS with no issues........There are issues reported with every set. The plain facts are, LG OLED's are the new king of the hill by far. I just wonder if LG will have any competitors in this area ??

Not to mention these 65EC9700 units have an amazing price !! I paid $1600 more for the 55" 1080P set last year .
It seems that the 2014 LG decided to go with the 4 color pixel adding White to RGB. Perhaps to improve whites and contrast with it's infinite blacks - perfect color can be drawn upon with white to get to RGB primary and secondary - and maybe to answer this slight area the 2013 may have needed. Hopefully LG has better luck than Sharp with it's Yellow.

Not certain if the 4 color will be on the 4K's also.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EC9300-oled-tv

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #33 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vaktmestern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
Hope they have fixed the ridiculously bad input lag.
Gaming was fine on my oled was suprised read all the high lag numbers was responsive.
vaktmestern is online now  
post #34 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 210
While the IR may be temporary, the people who have the sets that display IR have to go through hopes to remove it. I frankly have no interest in that ( and I have 3 plasmas with no IR or BI). In addition, you are starting to see some dead or stuck pixels starting to show up on the sets of early adopters. I love the tech but have some serious concerns about it. Too much to spend any money on it at this point. Maybe in 2015. I want to see the next generation with some serious hours on it to see how it goes.
JWhip is online now  
post #35 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is the 77 incher for sure going to be curved?
gweempose is online now  
post #36 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Amadeuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still like Sony better. Sony is just cool and awesome 4 stars
while Lg is only 2 stars.

Oled's are to expensive, to far down the road, and it's early in its cycle. I'm out here Sony'ing all day with the x900b series, its awesome
Amadeuz is offline  
post #37 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 10:19 AM
Member
 
jman425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
$6250 pre-release price for the 65EC9700 is a game changer (Cleveland Plasma).

Sales managers from Sony, Samsung and others had to change their diapers and eat handfuls of Tums this morning.
jman425 is offline  
post #38 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
While the IR may be temporary, the people who have the sets that display IR have to go through hopes to remove it. I frankly have no interest in that ( and I have 3 plasmas with no IR or BI). In addition, you are starting to see some dead or stuck pixels starting to show up on the sets of early adopters. I love the tech but have some serious concerns about it. Too much to spend any money on it at this point. Maybe in 2015. I want to see the next generation with some serious hours on it to see how it goes.
the only hoop i had to go through, to remove ir, was turning the tv off
and ir has happened twice, very faint
im sold on oled being the future, i really doubt LG would lay a majority of its eggs in an unviable technology

and for $6300, WOW!
sony and samsung have to be shaking in their boots right now
mo949 likes this.
5x10 is online now  
post #39 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Yes, that is a great price so soon. But, it is curved so no dice.
JWhip is online now  
post #40 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Yes, that is a great price so soon. But, it is curved so no dice.
My logic indicates that if LG comes close to there fabrication ramp up and resulting sales forecasts, that they will offer 65" & 77" flat panels in the first half of 2015. They have to know that some people will not buy curved and the panels are flat when they come off the production line and are cut to size. Curves added later. Should be slightly cheaper to produce flat and hopefully the will include full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 on that same HDMI chip inputs.
dsinger is online now  
post #41 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 2,492
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
My logic indicates that if LG comes close to there fabrication ramp up and resulting sales forecasts, that they will offer 65" & 77" flat panels in the first half of 2015. They have to know that some people will not buy curved and the panels are flat when they come off the production line and are cut to size. Curves added later. Should be slightly cheaper to produce flat and hopefully the will include full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 on that same HDMI chip inputs.
If they are less to produce flat, and most people seem to prefer flat, why on Earth are they making them curved in the first place?
gweempose is online now  
post #42 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Member
 
crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Oak Harbor WA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
If they are less to produce flat, and most people seem to prefer flat, why on Earth are they making them curved in the first place?
A triumph of form over function for sure. I will not purchase a curved set and yes that is the reason I'm chiming in. Execs from these companies do use forum opinion in their product planning and I'm making sure my data point is in. Curved = Not a chance in hell.
crab is offline  
post #43 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
If they are less to produce flat, and most people seem to prefer flat, why on Earth are they making them curved in the first place?
Mostly marketing gimmick to justify 3X the price of the competition. Also, they did that to reduce demand as in the beginning they had very poor yields. I am still in doubt of their current yeild claims, as the current 90% figure everyone throws around is for the OLED line for 5" phones screens. Easier to cut useable 5" screens around the defects than make a single perfect 55" and 65" panels. Still, it is a good sign that the 65 " is even being released. Although I would guess the 77" is going to fall to special built to order status. Expensive cutting edge tech does not stick around long as evidenced by the Kuro and Elite cancellations. To put in perspective, LG sold less than 6000 large format OLED units world wide last year, while they probably sold 6000 4K panels a week at the same time. Hopefully, the new fabrication plant actually comes on line and they either perfected their WGRB OLED vapor method or moved on to the better OLED printing method.

Last edited by sytech; 07-31-2014 at 01:56 PM.
sytech is offline  
post #44 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
If they are less to produce flat, and most people seem to prefer flat, why on Earth are they making them curved in the first place?
Marketing! They couldn't produce many units on the test line so had little to sell. Make a curved set and get plenty of attention in the show room. People can't afford them but remember the OLED. When prices drop as they have to more affordable levels potential buyers know OLED exists. If they had been flat they would get lost in the LCD clutter.
dsinger is online now  
post #45 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Mostly marketing gimmick to justify 3X the price of the competition. Also, they did that to reduce demand as in the beginning they had very poor yields. I am still in doubt of their current yeild claims, as the current 90% figure everyone throws around is for the OLED line for 5" phones screens. Easier to cut useable 5" screens around the defects than make a single perfect 55" and 65" panels. Still, it is a good sign that the 65 " is even being released. Although I would guess the 77" is going to fall to special built to order status. Expensive cutting edge tech does not stick around long as evidenced by the Kuro and Elite cancellations. To put in perspective, LG sold less than 6000 large format OLED units world wide last year, while they probably sold 6000 4K panels a week at the same time. Hopefully, the new fabrication plant actually comes on line and they either perfected their WGRB OLED vapor method or moved on to the better OLED printing method.
The sony x950B is generally considered to be the only competition to this sets PQ and its >$6K typically.
mo949 is offline  
post #46 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
the only hoop i had to go through, to remove ir, was turning the tv off
and ir has happened twice, very faint
im sold on oled being the future, i really doubt LG would lay a majority of its eggs in an unviable technology

and for $6300, WOW!
sony and samsung have to be shaking in their boots right now

Sony, yes (65EC9700 is being priced essentially head-to-head against the Sony 65X950B flagship)


Samsung, no (65EC9700 is being priced at about twice the street price of the curved UN65HU9000 Samsung flagship).


This is a serious pre-release price by LG and I predict the 65EC9700 will have street pricing below $5000 by black Friday (which should make Samsung sweat a bit more :-)
fafrd is offline  
post #47 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
If you read the owner's thread on the LG model, there are a couple of owners with burn in, a couple with yellowing and quite a few with multiple dead (visible) pixels. These all sound like "issues" to me.

Quite honestly, if these two users didn't have actual burn-in, I'd already own one of these.

A couple of owners? That's like saying I'm not buying a high end plasma because a couple of owners have IR. That's ludacris, yes there are some plasmas that we're more prone to IR than others but that doesn't mean they all are. I have my GT50 and have no BI or IR whatsoever. So your statement is quite exaggerated, if that's the way you think than you will never own a display because they all have some sort of issues. Whether they are minor or major.
5x10 and peschiNL like this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee

Last edited by Latinoheat; 08-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Latinoheat is offline  
post #48 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JWhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 4,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post
My logic indicates that if LG comes close to there fabrication ramp up and resulting sales forecasts, that they will offer 65" & 77" flat panels in the first half of 2015. They have to know that some people will not buy curved and the panels are flat when they come off the production line and are cut to size. Curves added later. Should be slightly cheaper to produce flat and hopefully the will include full HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 on that same HDMI chip inputs.

I hope you are right. If you are, I will still wait to see how these are doing in the field.
JWhip is online now  
post #49 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Anyone interested in the LG OLEDs, please vote in this pole on price premium you'd pay for OLED here: What premium would you pay for OLED?
fafrd is offline  
post #50 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 PM
Newbie
 
sin123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
I hope this comes to all Best Buy stores...
it should be... it was loaded up in Canada's inventory for $26,999.99 for the 77"
sin123 is offline  
post #51 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
bresna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
A couple of owners? That's like saying I'm not buying a high end plasma because a couple of owners have IR. That's ludacris, yes there are some plasmas that we're more prone to IR than others but that doesn't mean they all are. I have my GT50 and have no BI or IR whatsoever. So your statement is quite exaggerated, if that's the way you think they you will never own a display because they all have some sort of issues. Whether they are minor or major.
You're right, that's exactly why I don't own a plasma TV. I almost pulled the trigger on a ZT several times near the end but the threat of IR just scared me off. And if you think I'm the only one, you're dreaming. I know a lot of people who are only peripherally interested in video and they all know about plasma's IR potential which is why they all bought LCDs.

If OLED gets the reputation of being prone to IR/burn-in, it may doom the technology. It only takes a few bad ones to start that ball rolling. I hope it's only LG's current implementation and that they get it right for gen 2.

I am going to hold off on my next TV purchase until this new LG OLED comes out and watch to see how it does. If there reports of IR with it, I'll continue with LCD.
bresna is offline  
post #52 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 587
LCD's can not get burn in, however they can have an image stuck on the screen like anything else..........It is rare, but it happens.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #53 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
properbostonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do y'all mind taking out your crystal ball and tell me how long will I need to wait until I see a 65" 4K OLED for <$2K? 2018? Never?

properbostonian is offline  
post #54 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 1,734
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
You're right, that's exactly why I don't own a plasma TV. I almost pulled the trigger on a ZT several times near the end but the threat of IR just scared me off. And if you think I'm the only one, you're dreaming. I know a lot of people who are only peripherally interested in video and they all know about plasma's IR potential which is why they all bought LCDs.

If OLED gets the reputation of being prone to IR/burn-in, it may doom the technology. It only takes a few bad ones to start that ball rolling. I hope it's only LG's current implementation and that they get it right for gen 2.

I am going to hold off on my next TV purchase until this new LG OLED comes out and watch to see how it does. If there reports of IR with it, I'll continue with LCD.

No one said you are the only one, Sure, you keep doing what you are doing, living in fear, while the rest of us enjoy high end panels with the best picture quality. Funny how clouding, light bleeding, dead pixels, terrible viewing angles, flash lighting, etc doesn't scare you.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Latinoheat is offline  
post #55 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by properbostonian View Post
Do y'all mind taking out your crystal ball and tell me how long will I need to wait until I see a 65" 4K OLED for <$2K? 2018? Never?
Depends on a lot of factors. Like what kind of yields is LG really getting? Will they license their production method to anyone else? Will the JOLED group expand their OLED printing method from phones to large format? Will they Chinese just go ahead and rip off their patents and production method like they always do?
Right now LG Displays is the only supplier in the world. No way they could met demand, so prices will remain high. Also, if they can't get costs down OLED could go the way of other top of line expensive tech like the Kuro and Elite and disappear under the crush of cheap Chinese FALD LCD sets that are "good enough" for 90% of the general public.
Best case scenario, the LG method is viable and they license others for production. Then maybe by late 2016 or early 2017 you could see $2500 65" 4K OLED.
sytech is offline  
post #56 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
dave1216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Seems like the wrong forum for this OLED thread but I assume it is here because guys like me are trying to decide on that next high end set. Can anyone comfirm the 65 inch is wall mountable?
dave1216 is offline  
post #57 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post
Seems like the wrong forum for this OLED thread but I assume it is here because guys like me are trying to decide on that next high end set. Can anyone comfirm the 65 inch is wall mountable?
They are wall mountable (call value electronics).
mo949 is offline  
post #58 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Depends on a lot of factors. Like what kind of yields is LG really getting?
Is there any reason to doubt the public claims of 80%? The SRP and street pricing of the new 65" should allay your fears. If by September/October, those who want one are unable to find one at $6k, then there might be more cause for concern.
wandering_star is offline  
post #59 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Newbie
 
128k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
'Get 'em while they last', huh :-)


Both the Kuro and the Elite were fundamentally more expensive technologies than mainstream LED/LCD - they could not compete on price no matter how much money they poured into R&D or marketing so it was a fundamentally losing proposition.


LGs WOLED is in a different situation - it is fundamentally less expensive to manufacture than LED/LCD (no backlight) and so it is only a matter of driving sufficient volume to achieve economies of scale, but they can win on price if given the chance (and the time).


Now if the technology doesn't work, the LED/LCD behemoths drive down pricing so quickly and so low that LG can't afford to chase them and has to fold the entire tent because it would cost too much to win the war, that's another story.


But where the Kuro and the Elite had no chance of winning the war on price against LED/LCD, WOLED fundamentally has a chance.
WOLED or White OLED may be cheaper HOWEVER, the color range WOLED produces is barely any wider than a standard LED backlit LCD.

The rec. 2020 color space may be considered from the release of 4K content, only Direct emission OLED like in samsung's OLED TV can produce a wider color gamut as opposed to WOLED or a regular LCD.
128k is offline  
post #60 of 66 Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_star View Post
Is there any reason to doubt the public claims of 80%? The SRP and street pricing of the new 65" should allay your fears. If by September/October, those who want one are unable to find one at $6k, then there might be more cause for concern.
I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised by the $6000 street price, but even a $4000 it is going to be a hard sale to the general public, as by the time they reach that price top of the line 65" 4K will be selling for $2000. The Elite was a great set, but it just did not make business sense on such low volume. OLED may fall into the same trap.
sytech is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 65X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off