LG 4k OLED in September! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mattoc59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LG 4k OLED in September!

http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/

Priced at $6999 . Sounds like a steal compared to the Sony X950B. Only negative I see is the curved screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG-OLED-TV-77-580.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	184834  
Vegas oled likes this.
mattoc59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 66 Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rlindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 158
The other negative is the chance of burn-in. Hopefully they've improved that from the last gen of sets.

I'd easily get this set over that Sony.

ROB
rlindo is offline  
post #3 of 66 Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
The other negative is the chance of burn-in. Hopefully they've improved that from the last gen of sets.

I'd easily get this set over that Sony.
From what I've read from actual owners of OLED, it hasn't been an issue.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is offline  
post #4 of 66 Old 07-28-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post
http://hdguru.com/lgs-ultra-high-def...-price-leaked/

Priced at $6999 . Sounds like a steal compared to the Sony X950B. Only negative I see is the curved screen.
This will be a game changer.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is offline  
post #5 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
This will be a game changer.
Yes my friend this fight is over. I assure you Sony will be making 4k players for everyone very soon and there will be a clearance if 950B sets before the end of the year. The 65900B is still very much in the game because it's a great value for $4,000.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #6 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
mattoc59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hopefully you will be able to wall mount this set. I cannot wait until release day!
mattoc59 is offline  
post #7 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
is this the largest size? What is the largest size?

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
PeterS is offline  
post #8 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #9 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Member
 
kwest2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
77" will be the largest size.....coming out about the same time.....

Its about to get real here
Wow. Now to determine whether I should return this 60F8500 and hold onto my 55LH90 for a year or two...
kwest2 is online now  
post #10 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
77" will be the largest size.....coming out about the same time.....

Its about to get real here

Have you seen any indication on pricing of the 77" yet? The only thing I've seen is the $25,000 Canadian listed by a Canadian online retailer - any US reference for pricing yet?
fafrd is offline  
post #11 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 661
WOW!

Leaving plasma behind
mo949 is offline  
post #12 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
WOW!

Leaving plasma behind

Yea, I think they're going to be merging the Plasma Forum in with the Direct-View CRT Forum soon :-)
fafrd is offline  
post #13 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Yousty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Have you seen any indication on pricing of the 77" yet? The only thing I've seen is the $25,000 Canadian listed by a Canadian online retailer - any US reference for pricing yet?
I'm also curious about pricing for the 77". Planning on buying a 4k tv for my basement next summer and want at least 75"+.
Yousty is offline  
post #14 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
77" will be the largest size.....coming out about the same time.....

Its about to get real here
lucky you, youll be one of the first to lay their eyes on that glorious 77'!
5x10 is online now  
post #15 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Lets face it, we will be lucky if the 77" is $15K on the street. So lets say it is 15K, that's a little rich for my blood.....But hey you only live once, and this world is getting real rough
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #16 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post
Hopefully you will be able to wall mount this set. I cannot wait until release day!
Yes , I read somewhere it will be wall mountable. Not sure about the 77" though.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Latinoheat is offline  
post #17 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Yes , I read somewhere it will be wall mountable. Not sure about the 77" though.
The owners manual shows that it is along with instructions. May have to buy mount from LG if early adopter.
dsinger is online now  
post #18 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I am going to start my own company that unbends all of LG's OLED displays and mounts them on flat boards.

Seriously though, this is great news on the 65" with a great starting MSRP. I still doubt we will see the retail sale of the 77" OLED in the US this year, and if we do most likely special built to order with high price. My advice is, if you can afford the 65" OLED to grab one quick. Expensive top of the line products like the Elite and Kuro have a nasty habit of quickly disappearing as soon as the company looks at profit margins and sales volume.
sytech is offline  
post #19 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I read in Digitimes recently that LG remains in discussions with Panasonic and Sony to provide OLED panels plus they are contracted with three Chinese manufacturers to provide China OLED - can LG really get a monopoly over it's rival Samsung?

Also read that for the first time LG surpassed Samsung in 4K sales when they include their sales of panels to Panasonic and Sony it lifted them beyond Samsung for 4K for one month anyways.

This 65" panel will steal thunder from others high end units and I would guess 2015 a year from now the 77" may become affordable when comparing how dramatically the 55" has dropped - and Yes the 65" is mountable.

Shootout time should be arranged in October but this thing is likely to shutout the competition.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #20 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Seriously though, this is great news on the 65" with a great starting MSRP. I still doubt we will see the retail sale of the 77" OLED in the US this year, and if we do most likely special built to order with high price. My advice is, if you can afford the 65" OLED to grab one quick. Expensive top of the line products like the Elite and Kuro have a nasty habit of quickly disappearing as soon as the company looks at profit margins and sales volume.

'Get 'em while they last', huh :-)


Both the Kuro and the Elite were fundamentally more expensive technologies than mainstream LED/LCD - they could not compete on price no matter how much money they poured into R&D or marketing so it was a fundamentally losing proposition.


LGs WOLED is in a different situation - it is fundamentally less expensive to manufacture than LED/LCD (no backlight) and so it is only a matter of driving sufficient volume to achieve economies of scale, but they can win on price if given the chance (and the time).


Now if the technology doesn't work, the LED/LCD behemoths drive down pricing so quickly and so low that LG can't afford to chase them and has to fold the entire tent because it would cost too much to win the war, that's another story.


But where the Kuro and the Elite had no chance of winning the war on price against LED/LCD, WOLED fundamentally has a chance.
fafrd is offline  
post #21 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
I read in Digitimes recently that LG remains in discussions with Panasonic and Sony to provide OLED panels plus they are contracted with three Chinese manufacturers to provide China OLED - can LG really get a monopoly over it's rival Samsung?

Also read that for the first time LG surpassed Samsung in 4K sales when they include their sales of panels to Panasonic and Sony it lifted them beyond Samsung for 4K for one month anyways.

This 65" panel will steal thunder from others high end units and I would guess 2015 a year from now the 77" may become affordable when comparing how dramatically the 55" has dropped - and Yes the 65" is mountable.

Shootout time should be arranged in October but this thing is likely to shutout the competition.
IMO if Panasonic doesn't opt to sell OLED's they purchase from LG this will be a very good indication they intend to exit the TV business. Looked at Amazon on Sunday and the only Panny set Amazon was selling was listed as discontinued by mft.
dsinger is online now  
post #22 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Souvlaki Space Station
Posts: 1,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 157
^^Panasonic seems to be selling all of its LCD televisions direct through its own website (this seems like the only place you can buy their AX800), and I believe Best Buy is the exclusive B&M location for Panasonic sets this year, although they only carry one or two models. Either they're going to exit the business soon, or they're regrouping...their lineup this year seems to be the sad LCD half of a 2014 lineup that most likely also had a companion plasma line.

In any case, I'm excited for the prospect of large OLED and the price really isn't too bad. Let's hope they aren't a one-off.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is online now  
post #23 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Lets face it, we will be lucky if the 77" is $15K on the street. So lets say it is 15K, that's a little rich for my blood.....But hey you only live once, and this world is getting real rough
With that said, I will roll with a 65" for a while for sure
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #24 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
thebishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 765
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would love to buy the 65" and potentially the 77" if not extremely expensive. But I won't buy either if curved; it just won't work in my rooms and with the seating arrangements I have here.
Bish
thebishman is offline  
post #25 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Member
 
kleenex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I hope this comes to all Best Buy stores...
kleenex is offline  
post #26 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Senior Member
 
reallynotnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Make it flat and I'll start to be interested.

I'd also like to see most of the Vizio Reference series features such as wide color gamut, HDR and 120hz 1080p input. Then I'd REALLY be interested. I don't want to buy a top of the line 4K TV that isn't going to support newer color standards coming out.
reallynotnick is offline  
post #27 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
Make it flat and I'll start to be interested.

I'd also like to see most of the Vizio Reference series features such as wide color gamut, HDR and 120hz 1080p input. Then I'd REALLY be interested. I don't want to buy a top of the line 4K TV that isn't going to support newer color standards coming out.
According to a link from a well respected seller who runs shootouts each year (posted in the OLED section), the 65" and 77" OLEDs are 10 bit with the ability to show the DCI color gamut.
dsinger is online now  
post #28 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Raitzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hope they have fixed the ridiculously bad input lag.
Raitzi is offline  
post #29 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Senior Member
 
bresna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
From what I've read from actual owners of OLED, it hasn't been an issue.
If you read the owner's thread on the LG model, there are a couple of owners with burn in, a couple with yellowing and quite a few with multiple dead (visible) pixels. These all sound like "issues" to me.

Quite honestly, if these two users didn't have actual burn-in, I'd already own one of these.
bresna is offline  
post #30 of 66 Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
If you read the owner's thread on the LG model, there are a couple of owners with burn in, a couple with yellowing and quite a few with multiple dead (visible) pixels. These all sound like "issues" to me.

Quite honestly, if these two users didn't have actual burn-in, I'd already own one of these.
There was no burn in, only reports of ir that goes away very quickly
Only burn in I have read of is the display unit, and it had a menu up, 8 hrs a day, for months
5x10 is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 65X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off