Official Samsung HU6950 Series 4K LCD thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Cool Official Samsung HU6950 Series 4K LCD thread

I haven't seen this series in a dedicated thread so I thought I would start one. I'm quite interested in this series but some questions need to be answered.
Some sources indicate that this is an edge lit set but it sure seems thick for that design. It looks more like my "Direct Lit Led" which is similar to full array but less LED's. I like the local zone dimming - would love to know the number of zones - probably 32 or so.
Is there an advanced menu for full calibration potential or is this gone as well like Sony's new 4K's?
Is there any circuitry to "Smooth" out 24 fps presentations? I'm one of the guys who likes "SOE" as I find the 24 fps judder really annoying when the camera is scanning. If someone buys one of these sets, there is an e-manual available built-in. Please let us know if any of these questions can be answered. I could not find any way to access it on line.
It's nice to know that these sets, in addition to Local Zone Dimming, also are fully HEVC and HDMI 2.0 capable. I assume they also are HDCP 2.2.
The price is right and I've owned a couple of Samsung LED's with no problems so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung UN40HU6950 (2).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	185202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung UN40HU6950 (1).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	185210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-31-2014, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Two words - cheaply made

I just set up a 55 with a friend.

First impressions are that this is one of the flimsier ,cheap feeling TVs I have set up in awhile.

Even the packing materials were several notches below typical samsung. The stand screws were not well fit, the whole case is thick and cheap plastic looking, the protective stryfoam only covered the front and left the back mostly uncovered.

That being said, it seems to have a decent picture out of the box in Movie mode. ( no adjusting yet.)

We did verify 4k with Netflix.

One surprise to us was that the tv DOES not support 3d passive or active. No big deal in this case, but that's probably part of the price differential.

My buddy is already thinking of paying the $400 difference for the 8550
post #3 of 36 Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for starting the thread.

I am in the market for a new 40-50" 4K monitor for content creation / CAD type work. I'd be interested to know if this set calibrates well and how if the input lag is low. 1080p 60/120Hz performance would also be nice to hear about.

Regards,
Dan
post #4 of 36 Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcompguy View Post
I just set up a 55 with a friend.

First impressions are that this is one of the flimsier ,cheap feeling TVs I have set up in awhile.

Even the packing materials were several notches below typical samsung. The stand screws were not well fit, the whole case is thick and cheap plastic looking, the protective stryfoam only covered the front and left the back mostly uncovered.

That being said, it seems to have a decent picture out of the box in Movie mode. ( no adjusting yet.)

We did verify 4k with Netflix.

One surprise to us was that the tv DOES not support 3d passive or active. No big deal in this case, but that's probably part of the price differential.

My buddy is already thinking of paying the $400 difference for the 8550
AZCompguy - Can you check with your friend and let us know if there is a useful advanced menu that allows a 10 step white balance or even a 2 step? Adjustable Gamma? Smooth motion settings - I.e. SOE?
Not surprised that it arrives looking fairly cheap. It had to be hard for Samsung to hit this price point. I will look forward to seeing how Vizio's 4K sets perform. At least they have full array local dimming.
THANKS !!!
post #5 of 36 Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM

so under advanced > white balance
There are both 2 and 10 point adjustments . You can adjust either but not both and it will tell you that the settings will be reset if you change in either

In addition there are gamma and "flesh tone" ? adjustments as well as color space and settings

Under picture options there are
color tone
HDMI UHD Color (on or off)
auto motion plus (default was low)

since it was not my TV I couldn't really do anything.

I think the cheapness of the case and packing has him seriously considering taking it back to get the 8550

PS: SD sources look really bad with false contouring, ghosting etc.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-01-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are both 2 and 10 point adjustments . You can adjust either but not both and it will tell you that the settings will be reset if you change in either

In addition there are gamma and "flesh tone" ? adjustments as well as color space and settings

color tone

I think the cheapness of the case and packing has him seriously considering taking it back to get the 8550

Thank you! Well I am pleased that they didn't skimp on these features. I'll have to wait until I can go to BB or ? and have a look for myself. 3D means nothing to me so that will not be a deciding factor.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-01-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the manual and spec sheet from Samsung and interestingly I don't see any info related to HDMI spec or a resolution vs refresh table. Has anyone actually verified that these sets are actually HDMI 2.0?

Regards,
Dan
post #8 of 36 Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

color tone

The auto motion plus is lacking the custom de-blur adjustments. That is the only thing I have seen missing. Samsung has also removed 3D from the HU6950 and HU7250 as well.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-01-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan View Post
I downloaded the manual and spec sheet from Samsung and interestingly I don't see any info related to HDMI spec or a resolution vs refresh table. Has anyone actually verified that these sets are actually HDMI 2.0?
It was confirmed several places that I read that the set has an actual refresh rate of 120 Hz. (and a 240 CMR rate - strobing LED backlight), was HDMI 2.0 and HEVC capable (for Netflix E.g.). If you do a bit of Googling it shouldn't be hard to find.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post
It was confirmed several places that I read that the set has an actual refresh rate of 120 Hz. (and a 240 CMR rate - strobing LED backlight), was HDMI 2.0 and HEVC capable (for Netflix E.g.). If you do a bit of Googling it shouldn't be hard to find.
While the screen refresh is 120Hz, HDMI 2.0 taps out at 60Hz for 4K content, and at a slightly reduced quality while doing so. 1080P 120Hz at full quality should be possible though. At this point the only way to get 120Hz UHD is DisplayPort 1.3, and there are no specs given for the DisplayPort input on these sets. Samsung calls their DisplayPort implementation One Connect, with the intent to sell an upgrade box in an effort to "future proof" the set so they won't need the flame suits. There is no confirmation that we can pipe in our own video through the One Connect DisplayPort from sources like PC's...

Regards,
Dan
post #11 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
While the screen refresh is 120Hz, HDMI 2.0 taps out at 60Hz for 4K content, and at a slightly reduced quality while doing so. 1080P 120Hz at full quality should be possible though. At this point the only way to get 120Hz UHD is DisplayPort 1.3, and there are no specs given for the DisplayPort input on these sets. Samsung calls their DisplayPort implementation One Connect, with the intent to sell an upgrade box in an effort to "future proof" the set so they won't need the flame suits. There is no confirmation that we can pipe in our own video through the One Connect DisplayPort from sources like PC's...
While you've got the future proof line of thinking right,the One connect is in fact the brains of your TV.
If you were to remove the One connect box you simply have a monitor with a single giant unusable HDMI port. The cable that is used for connecting the One connect Samsung refers to it as "super" HDMI, I believe?
It is not the same as the display port technology,it simply a pass through for multiple inputs.
The HU6950,HU7250 and all 1080p displays below the H8000 do not support the EVO kit or one connect upgrade.
The display port option may be added in at a later point through the One connect box,but the 6950 will not support it.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 08-02-2014 at 03:37 AM.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
The HU6950,HU7250 and all 1080p displays below the H8000 do not support the EVO kit or one connect upgrade.
The display port option may be added in at a later point through the One connect box,but the 6950 will not support it.
FYI That was one odd thing we did see when setting it up. There IS a clearly marked "one connect " port on the back of the 55 inch 6950 i saw
post #13 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I have yet to see any info that states these sets are capable of playback of source material above 24/30Hz refresh @ 4K via HDMI.

Regards,
Dan
post #14 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
FYI That was one odd thing we did see when setting it up. There IS a clearly marked "one connect " port on the back of the 55 inch 6950 i saw
I will have to check it next time I am in store,that is strange. I know the H7150 non-4k doesn't have the option for the EVO kit.While the HU8550 has all ports built opposed to the F9000 that didn't,but still offers the One connect port.

Here's a link from Samsung showing it does in fact support it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55HU6950FXZA
post #15 of 36 Old 08-02-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
I have yet to see any info that states these sets are capable of playback of source material above 24/30Hz refresh @ 4K via HDMI.
If it's stated that the HU6950 series is HDMI 2.0 capable would that not automatically mean that it accepts and displays 60 FPS 4K content? That is my understanding. Otherwise, their claim would be inaccurate, and would be no better than the current HDMI 1.4....

Speaking of which........I just read on Tom's Hardware that NVidia Kepler video cards are 60 FPS 4K capable on HDMI 1.4 by reducing the 4:4:4 chroma to 4:2:0. This is really weird as almost all video content is already only 4:2:0 so why was 60 FPS not capable on last year's models?????
Here's the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvi...1.4,27117.html
post #16 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This guy on youtube has the 40 inch version of the 6950. At about 2:42 you can see a little bit of the settings menu. He has other videos showing the his 6950. Just be careful with some of his other videos. At least one video he gets pretty vulgar with his language(not this one) so if you got kids in the room you have been warned.

Last edited by bluewhale1; 08-03-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #17 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I was at Best buy today and on the demo banner that appears on the screen listing feature it supports "future proofing" through the one connect option. Since this is considered an entry level 4k display that is pretty awesome.
Vizio has really put the pressure on the manufacturer's in 2014 and the HU6950 and HU7250 are direct results. Samsung still comes in much higher than Vizio's 4k 50" P-series at $999 and Samsung's 50" at $1499,but Samsung will offer limited future proofing as an option.

The next few months could prove to be interesting with,both aggressively pushing " affordable 4k". We also have LG aggressively pricing their 4k options as well.
Could be exciting!
post #18 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
This guy on youtube has the 40 inch version of the 6950. At about 2:42 you can see a little bit of the settings menu. He has other videos showing the his 6950.
Can't find it. How about a link?
post #19 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
I was at Best buy today and on the demo banner that appears on the screen listing feature it supports "future proofing" through the one connect option. Since this is considered an entry level 4k display that is pretty awesome.
Vizio has really put the pressure on the manufacturer's in 2014 and the HU6950 and HU7250 are direct results. Samsung still comes in much higher than Vizio's 4k 50" P-series at $999 and Samsung's 50" at $1499,but Samsung will offer limited future proofing as an option.

The next few months could prove to be interesting with,both aggressively pushing " affordable 4k". We also have LG aggressively pricing their 4k options as well.
Could be exciting!
Amazing how fast 4K prices are plummeting. I remember going to BB last year when the 55" and 65" Sony 900A sets had just come out. They were priced at $5K and $8K !!!!! Mind you - this is in Vancouver BC Canada.....but still!!!
I have a real bad habit of buying new technology as soon as it comes out but I'm glad I'm waiting a little bit longer this time. Still thrilled with my Sharp 80" 642U which I've now owned for just about 3 Yrs. That is a record for me.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Edited my original post. Not sure what happened.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Word of advice if you are offended easily or just not a fan of idiots. I don't throw insults around that often,but man I felt him killing brain cells with every word spoken.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Word of advice if you are offended easily or just not a fan of idiots. I don't throw insults around that often,but man I felt him killing brain cells with every word spoken.
Hey not cool. He was nice enough to post the video to help people interested in the set. No need for insults.
post #23 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey not cool. He was nice enough to post the video to help people interested in the set. No need for insults.
The video I saw had him saying some very vulgar things about the motion control and sticking it in inappropriate places. Not the avengers video,sorry the link didn't work to said video.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 08-03-2014 at 03:06 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I meant no offense to anyone willing to take the time to help potential users with a new product. Meant to simply warn of potentially offensive content, while stupidly sounding offensive myself.
My apologies,The Dr.
post #25 of 36 Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I meant no offense to anyone willing to take the time to help potential users with a new product. Meant to simply warn of potentially offensive content, while stupidly sounding offensive myself.
My apologies,The Dr.
No worries. I just saw the video link you posted and it was pretty vulgar for no reason. I edited my post with a warning just in case people watch his other videos(especially those with kids near)

Last edited by bluewhale1; 08-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #26 of 36 Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 AM
Advanced Member

With the 50HU8550 dropping in price the difference between the 50 inch 6950 and 8550 is roughly about 150 bucks. Unless the 6950 price drops doesn't seem worth it to buy the 6590 at least in that size.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just on Samsung's site checking out the HU7250 to see if it supported the One connect "EVO" kit,but it appears that it does not. Its strange why they would include it in the HU6950,but lack it in the more feature rich curved model. This could all change once they show up at retail.
post #28 of 36 Old 08-04-2014, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was just on Samsung's site checking out the HU7250 to see if it supported the One connect "EVO" kit,but it appears that it does not. Its strange why they would include it in the HU6950,but lack it in the more feature rich curved model. This could all change once they show up at retail.
I just checked and in the sFull pecs for both(under Inputs and Outputs) both say One Connect ready
post #29 of 36 Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just checked and in the sFull pecs for both(under Inputs and Outputs) both say One Connect ready
It is listed under features and input/output on the HU6950 and only input/output on the HU7250 specs,weird.
That is why I didn't see it this morning.

Last edited by Dr.Shankenstein; 08-04-2014 at 04:46 AM.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am going to pick one of these up tonight and give 120hz 1080p a try as well as 60Hz 4k with a maxwell nvidia card (use some patches to get around limits). Supposedly maxwell has the hardware for HDMI 2.0 which as long as the hardware is capable I should be able to force it. We shall see.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - HU6950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page