Sony W630B Opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Sony W630B Opinions

Does anyone own, or have any personal opinions on the Sony W630B? I was at a Best Buy the other day and the picture on this TV looked very good to my eyes, and the price is relatively low. This is probably partially because it lacks 3D, which is perfect for me because I am not interested in that feature. My only issue is there doesn't seem to be many reviews on it, which has me a little hesitant on pulling the trigger. I did a search on this website and it seems like no one has commented on it, which seems very strange. So, if you own this TV please let me know your thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Jason
rjaj62 and Naija-gamer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm also interested in this set but also wary about the lack of reviews (I can't find a single one).

Based on a few amazon/bestbuy user reviews it sounds the 2D picture quality is great and on par with the 800b/850b. Unlike the 600b's native 60hz panel the 630b has a native 120hz panel with motionflow XR 480 (same as the 800b/850b). But what is the input lag like? Is it closer to the 600b 34ms or the 800b 24ms?

If this set is basically a 60w850b without the 3d support and improved speakers for a cheaper price then that sounds perfect for me (and probably many others who don't care about 3d and have dedicated sound system).
rjaj62 likes this.
post #3 of 66 Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Quade View Post
If this set is basically a 60w850b without the 3d support and improved speakers for a cheaper price then that sounds perfect for me (and probably many others who don't care about 3d and have dedicated sound system).
These are my exact thoughts too, but I find it so strange that the only reviews I can find are a handful from consumers that are only a couple lines long. Almost all of them do comment on the picture quality being very good though.
rjaj62 likes this.
post #4 of 66 Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Quade View Post
I'm also interested in this set but also wary about the lack of reviews (I can't find a single one).

Based on a few amazon/bestbuy user reviews it sounds the 2D picture quality is great and on par with the 800b/850b. Unlike the 600b's native 60hz panel the 630b has a native 120hz panel with motionflow XR 480 (same as the 800b/850b). But what is the input lag like? Is it closer to the 600b 34ms or the 800b 24ms?

I bought one today for the very reasons you cite above - don't want 3D and won't use the speakers. The picture looked very good to me - like the 850b - and that's what I wanted. They took another $100 off at Best Buy when they thought I was going to leave without buying, so I ordered one and get it later this week.

Last edited by gnk1; 08-04-2014 at 02:10 PM.
post #5 of 66 Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Heh, glad you made this topic as I was wondering about this TV too. Was going to get one on Tuesday. Hopefully some more people will throw some input. I wonder about the input lag the most.
rjaj62 likes this.
post #6 of 66 Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Really wish someone could provide some more incite. About to pull the trigger tomorrow
post #7 of 66 Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone bought this TV since this post?
Really tempted by this or the new KDL-55W700B but I'm worried by the lack of reviews so far...
post #8 of 66 Old 08-13-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 12
I am not a video expert by any stretch, but I got the Sony KDL60W630B a week ago.

I chose it for the picture quality, which I think is excellent. We really liked the Sony 46" XBR5 we have but wanted something bigger. The picture is at least as good, to my eye, as the XBR5. Blacks are darker. I went to Best Buy to see this TV and the 2014 Vizio 60" M series. I preferred the picture on the Sony to the Vizio - maybe they were not comparably calibrated, I don't know. I was prepared to like the Vizio given all I had heard about it on AVS, but it didn't deliver in person.

I use my AVR for sound and don't use the speakers on the TV, so I cannot comment on them. The apps seemed quite slow compared to either a PS3 or Sony 5100 Blu-Ray player we use for Netflix and Amazon, but I didn't plan to use that feature from the TV either. The salesman told me that this model was strong on picture quality and poor on the apps (he said the Samsungs were much faster), and I agree.

I don't play games either, so I cannot comment on lag. Sorry.
post #9 of 66 Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I also bought the 630b last week. My review is pretty much the same as the one above. Picture quality seemed very good to me, I use surround sound so no comment on speakers and have a raspberry pi hooked up to it so no need for built in apps.

I was looking at both the Vizio and Sony, in Best Buy also, and the Vizio's picture just didn't look as good in my opinion. After a week with this TV I am very please and don't regret the purchase at all except that it dropped $100.00 three days after I bought it.
post #10 of 66 Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM

Liked: 1
I bought one the other day after lurking these threads for any updates. I was going to cave and go for an 850b since I'd have to order 630 sight unseen.

As it happened though, my best buy just was redoing their displays and swapped out their 850 with a 630 and a 700 the evening I was going to do the deed. Screens on both looked nice given the lighting. 700 had a nice brushed aluminum like bezel that felt very sturdy; 630 isn't bad but is a noticeably flimsier plastic. I was pretty set on 60 inches so didn't look the 700 over much more.

Best buy rep was pretty helpful and tried to help figure out more about the 630, but he had no better info than i did. I opted to give the 630 a shot since 3d and built in speakers aren't useful to me.

I haven't been able to run it through the paces much yet but so far I'm feeling good. Screen looks very nice with some minor vignetting and vertical banding. I notice that mostly when viewing at an angle.
. One corner has some clouding, but black uniformity looks solid to my untrained eye otherwise. Maybe loosening the screw in that corner will help.

Startup lag is quite quick for getting at input selection. Around 10 seconds or so it seemed. I saw a lot of gripe with some bravias being very slow in that regard. Smart tv interface was looked serviceable but pretty chunky and slow. Glad it isn't a feature I want or need.

The stand allows for a lot more wobble than I would have liked. I'm not worried about it falling over without a significant amount of assistance, but still thinking I'll be wall mounting in short order.

Can't speak to the input lag myself yet. Not sure if I'll be capable to give actual numbers either. This is the first tv purchase I've been taking very seriously, so still learning the ins and outs.
Naija-gamer likes this.
post #11 of 66 Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
got this tv last week since this seemed like the standard 3d-less version of the 800/850. Looks very good to me. My only issues is sometime reds look weird to me. i havent tuned it much other than switching to cinema2 too. my favorite thing is that the blacks are great. i have a small samsung 6300 40in and this kicks its ass. As for gaming it seems very good on the input. I dont have any readers or ways to test exactly how low the lag is but i did manage to play through all the harder bosses in rogue legacy on the ps4. if you know that game it can be very twitchy and precise. the colors are also great for gaming.
post #12 of 66 Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would anyone be able to post their settings for this TV?

i tried using the AVSHD 709 app but i suck at this stuff... cant get anything to work right aside for the black calibration (which turns out was spot on to begin with)

my sharpness and all is way off i dunno wtf i'm doing
post #13 of 66 Old 08-31-2014, 01:49 AM

Truth be told I am glad I saved the $400 and bought this set over the 55W950B I was looking at earlier.

My 60W630B was delivered early this Saturday morning. Set up was easy it found a few HD channels via my building's shared antenna my old 40V2500 didn't receive then it lost them, but I was expecting that, then again I don't really know what kind of antenna is up there. The 1080i/720p 2s, 4s, 5s and 7s look splendid after a little tweaking. Out of the box most consumers will be happy with the picture and there are plenty of preset modes to play with.

I found some settings on rtings for the 55W800B, 60W850B and 55W950B which are close cousins to our set, but the settings are made using the game mode and I didn't want to go that route yet as I mainly watch movies and shows on DVD/BD on a BD player and Netflix on a WD TV Live. So I've made some quick lazy settings and mind you I had my 40V2500 set a bit dark for 6+ years. My living room is medium-high lit with a 24w CFL photography studio light sitting about 3' to the right of the TV pointed at the ceiling so it cast no direct light on the screen and my heavy curtained windows are behind the TV. The lighting was important for me because I had gotten used to the matte of the 40V2500. The 60W630B does show reflection on totally dark screen and is something I can see myself getting used to as so far it has not distracted me from enjoying a movie.

HDMI inputs 3 &4 & antenna input: Cinema 1:
Back-light: Min
Picture: 80
Brightness: 50
Color: through Noise Filtering: left as is
Smooth Graduation: antenna Low - Motionflow: - CineMotion: all 3 off for HDMI (funny with all three on(I forgot how high the settings) interior scenes from The Big White made me feel like I was watching a live play)
Advanced: All left as is
There are also some Pro setting I have not touched yet
I also set eco Power Saving to Low

Yeah I know I only tweaked a few settings and they are far from perfect, but I did say they were quick and lazy settings. I hope to do a complete amateur calibration when not so lazy, but so far this set is a keeper.

So far I have watched a few early and later episodes of Criminal Minds via Netflix over the WD TV (I have to get used to having a smart TV) @ 720P up-converted to 10080P by my Yamaha A2010 receiver (I set the WD at 720P because I found I have less instances of streaming quality drops and outright freezes than if @ 1080P) and The Big White on BD and some TV news.

All looked great and better than I had expected. I'm a big fan of 70s cop shows and some other 4:3 TV shows from 70s, 80s and 90s, my BDP-S1 (not the best quality player out there but it has served me well) connected to my 40V did a great job of stretching that older content to fit the full 16:9 screen without too much distortion and the picture looked great and I have high hopes now that Sony hasn't changed that quality up-conversion/player&TV sync as I have about 1500 movies and TV shows on DVD. We'll see how those shows look later today plus how DVD movies look. I have yet to hook up the Oppo 103 to a TV let alone the new set... I am told it will make the BDP-S1 look like a cheap toy. Haven't done any full screen color pixel tests, but so far I have not seen a pixel out of place. I'll start messing with the web and smart features in a few weeks as that was low priority for me.

Has anyone else purchased this set and want to share their numbers and viewing experience?
post #14 of 66 Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
so i've been messing around with this TV

i use it mostly as a PC gaming monitor/web browser etc and noticed something very weird.

TV can be set to almost perfect picture and when certain programs/windows come up either they or certain things/texts will go blurry. very weird

first thing i checked if any of that cinemotion etc stuff was turned on, and all that stuff is off.... anyone know what the deal is?

my settings btw:

Mode: custom
Backlight 5
Picture 52
Brightness 52
Color 60
Hue 0
Sharpness 64

Everything else is set to OFF
post #15 of 66 Old 09-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just brought this set home. Well actually the 60w610b costco version. What is everyone using for settings? I mostly watch sports on Direct TV. My equipment is hr44 genie box Denon Avr 890 and fat ps3. What is best for watching football?

It has football mode what exactly is this?

Thanks
post #16 of 66 Old 09-01-2014, 10:45 PM

I've played around with my 60W630B some more Monday. I am really liking this TV and picture quality is a big improvement over my first 6+ year old Sony LCD itself having a very nice picture. I was concerned going from a 40" to a 60" would mean loss in detail and being able to see pixels at my seating range. Not the case here. I went from 7' away to just few inches over 8' away not a big change considering a gain of over double the screen area. My current settings for the new set are a few post above and I don't see myself changing these much once I do use a calibration disc. I did those by eye and didn't change much... looks great with the lights on or off. I do notice a slight curve in vertical columns, but it is very slight almost hardly noticeable... I'll breakout my Video Essentials disc to fix this at some point. I'll maybe turn the eco power savings off at some point to bring more light into the picture before I do anything else. Now to some small problems I encountered.

Connecting the optical out to my receiver only produced sound from the antenna input. Not a problem, but I had heard most newer sets passed the audio from the HDMI inputs as well. I could use the TV's ARC HDMI input to pass the audio to the receiver, but my audio setup is only 2 channel, plus the ARC input is on the side of the TV and I'd like to reserve that easily accessible input for my laptop.

Just for kicks I did an update and low'n'behold I am now getting audio from the sets optical output from antenna and HDMI. But.

Now the TV wide zooms anything going to it that isn't 1080... antenna channels that are 720P, some that are 1080i and my WD box that I had directly hooked up to the TV now that the optical was working properly... I set the WD to output 1080P but Netflix outputs only 720P on the WD box for some reason so the set auto stretched everything to wide zoom... you won't see it on the WD main screen, but it will stretch once the movie starts. Not a big problem I just set the auto wide to off for all the inputs (it is easy enough to turn on wide zoom for 4:3 content when needed) and that solved the problem, but I will be notifying Sony about this.

I have starting using the 60W630B Netflix app and the picture looks better than the WD... hitting the info button shows it is receiving 1080... I will be keeping the WD for older 4:3 content as I haven't seen a way to change the wide setting for the TV's Netflix app. I'm using the same picture settings as above for the Netflix app. Something to note while looking through some content was that the WD's 720P stretched picture of the Twilight Zone looked sharper and more pleasing to my eye than the TV's Netflix app 4:3 1080 picture... several episodes same results. For HD TV shows (Criminal Minds) and movies the TV's app had the better picture quality.

Last edited by CarlNYC; 09-01-2014 at 10:58 PM.
post #17 of 66 Old 09-06-2014, 11:07 PM

Sorry I was wrong about the HDMI ARC placement. ARC is input #2 on the back facing down. HDMI input #1 is MHL and that is on the side for easier access as is the USB ports.

I connected a 1TB USB powered NTFS formatted HDD to one of the USB ports. Recognized the my passport instantly. All I had on that drive was WMV and MP4 content but they played flawlessly. The first 30 or so files will show up in a few seconds. More files may take a few minutes, but my HDD is pretty slow on a USB 2 connection, an NAS should be faster. It didn't seem to recognize folders it just showed all the content, but there is an easy option to just show videos or photos or music or all... an NAS should show folders. You have the full complement of picture settings, wide modes and sound settings to adjust.
post #18 of 66 Old 09-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNYC View Post
Truth be told I am glad I saved the $400 and bought this set over the 55W950B I was looking at earlier.

My 60W630B was delivered early this Saturday morning. Set up was easy it found a few HD channels via my building's shared antenna my old 40V2500 didn't receive then it lost them, but I was expecting that, then again I don't really know what kind of antenna is up there. The 1080i/720p 2s, 4s, 5s and 7s look splendid after a little tweaking. Out of the box most consumers will be happy with the picture and there are plenty of preset modes to play with.

I found some settings on rtings for the 55W800B, 60W850B and 55W950B which are close cousins to our set, but the settings are made using the game mode and I didn't want to go that route yet as I mainly watch movies and shows on DVD/BD on a BD player and Netflix on a WD TV Live. So I've made some quick lazy settings and mind you I had my 40V2500 set a bit dark for 6+ years. My living room is medium-high lit with a 24w CFL photography studio light sitting about 3' to the right of the TV pointed at the ceiling so it cast no direct light on the screen and my heavy curtained windows are behind the TV. The lighting was important for me because I had gotten used to the matte of the 40V2500. The 60W630B does show reflection on totally dark screen and is something I can see myself getting used to as so far it has not distracted me from enjoying a movie.

HDMI inputs 3 &4 & antenna input: Cinema 1:
Back-light: Min
Picture: 80
Brightness: 50
Color: through Noise Filtering: left as is
Smooth Graduation: antenna Low - Motionflow: - CineMotion: all 3 off for HDMI (funny with all three on(I forgot how high the settings) interior scenes from The Big White made me feel like I was watching a live play)
Advanced: All left as is
There are also some Pro setting I have not touched yet
I also set eco Power Saving to Low

Yeah I know I only tweaked a few settings and they are far from perfect, but I did say they were quick and lazy settings. I hope to do a complete amateur calibration when not so lazy, but so far this set is a keeper.

So far I have watched a few early and later episodes of Criminal Minds via Netflix over the WD TV (I have to get used to having a smart TV) @ 720P up-converted to 10080P by my Yamaha A2010 receiver (I set the WD at 720P because I found I have less instances of streaming quality drops and outright freezes than if @ 1080P) and The Big White on BD and some TV news.

All looked great and better than I had expected. I'm a big fan of 70s cop shows and some other 4:3 TV shows from 70s, 80s and 90s, my BDP-S1 (not the best quality player out there but it has served me well) connected to my 40V did a great job of stretching that older content to fit the full 16:9 screen without too much distortion and the picture looked great and I have high hopes now that Sony hasn't changed that quality up-conversion/player&TV sync as I have about 1500 movies and TV shows on DVD. We'll see how those shows look later today plus how DVD movies look. I have yet to hook up the Oppo 103 to a TV let alone the new set... I am told it will make the BDP-S1 look like a cheap toy. Haven't done any full screen color pixel tests, but so far I have not seen a pixel out of place. I'll start messing with the web and smart features in a few weeks as that was low priority for me.

Has anyone else purchased this set and want to share their numbers and viewing experience?
Still tweaking this set. Anyone have good settings for watching football?

Tom
post #19 of 66 Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 PM

Tom,

Perhaps let us know your settings, room light and viewing distance. I am not sure how much Cable/Satellite TV compression will affect picture quality for my given settings since I use an antenna and can't directly compare. My living room is medium-to-high lit with no direct light in front of the TV to minimize glare and reflection and can also get totally dark when needed... one of the advantages of not having to care what others think of my decor. Main thing is don't be afraid to play around with the settings... there is always reset and when you come across a particular settings tweak you like write it down no matter how little the change.

I watched a little of a game tonight on CBS 2 in NYC don't know who was playing as I loath most sports... I was looking at picture quality as I had read your post earlier, but the colors looked fantastic and I was able to see every detail. I was able to clearly tell the well worn helmets, helmets that looked polished before each play and ones with just a little wear. Uniforms looked bright and crisp and the grass was a little darker than a game I flipped to earlier in the week(note changes). On the sports highlights after the game some of the different fields had brighter grass. The game I saw earlier in the week had a team with what looked like brand new uniforms that were yellow and at my settings the jerseys looked almost day-glow yellow, but not in an over saturated way but more like they would glow in the dark(I was still using minimal Back Light) don't know what channel that game was on.

After watching a few movies last night and today I decided to increase the Back Light setting from minimal to 2 on the antenna input and Netflix app... this is how I saw the game on channel 2. I did keep the Eco Power Saving to low, but my guess is if I had left the Back Light at minimum and turn Eco to off it would be the equivalent of setting the Back Light to 3. I had also turned off Smooth Graduation on the antenna input last week... so it is off on all inputs now. I may also push the TV back to an even 9' distance from my eyes when seated. My eyes when seated are just above center of the bottom third of the TV.

Hope this helps.
post #20 of 66 Old 09-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Been trying to decide between the 630B and the 850B but like others have said there's not much info on the 630B.

Anybody notice or know if the 630B has the radial banding issue that the 850B has?
post #21 of 66 Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM

Consumers Reports (CR) review of the Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B . . .

CR's overall weighted score was 66

CR's Take
This 60-inch 1080p LCD TV with LED backlighting from Sony offers excellent high-definition picture quality and the company's smart TV platform, with access to lots of online content, including streaming movies and TV shows from several services, including the company's own Sony Entertainment Network. An interesting feature, called Social Viewing, lets you turn on a scrolling Twitter feed feature to see what's being said about the program you're watching. You can also use the Skype feature in split screen mode to talk to someone about what you're watching. This model has four HDMI inputs.

Highs

• Excellent HD image detail
• Excellent color accuracy

Lows
• Image brightness is on the dim side
• Limited viewing angle

Detailed test results

PICTURE QUALITY. This model had excellent high-definition picture quality. It did an excellent job displaying the finest detail. Color accuracy was excellent, so colors looked very natural and lifelike. Contrast--the difference between the darkest blacks and brightest whites--was good, so images had depth and dimension, typical of most models we test. Brightness level was only fair, dimmer than most, best-suited for a darker room. In scenes with subtly shaded light-to-dark areas, such as a sky during sunset, the TV did an excellent job producing a smooth transition without distinct, coarse bands.

VIEWING ANGLE. This Sony has a moderate viewing angle overall, decent, but not quite as good as the better-performing LCD sets we've tested. The optimal seating position for best picture quality is directly in front of the TV. If your family is seated in chairs off to the side of the TV, they'll see decent but compromised image quality.
When we moved off to the sides the horizontal viewing angle was good; the picture showed a moderate loss of color so flesh tones looked washed out, along with a moderate color shift. Black levels brightened significantly, making dark scenes look hazy. Even when viewed from right in front of the screen, dark scenes were brighter at the sides due to the limited horizontal sweet spot. When viewing the image from above or below eye level to the screen, the vertical viewing angle was very good. The picture showed minimal change in color, contrast, and black level.

MOTION BLUR. This Sony TV has good motion performance, with some blurring on our motion tests, thanks to Sony's Motionflow. This feature is designed to reduce motion blur, a shortcoming of most LCD TVs. With the feature turned off, motion performance was only fair, with significant blurring on our motion tests.

SCREEN REFLECTIVITY. Though not as mirror-like as on some LCDs, this screen surface is glossy and therefore susceptible to reflections from a nearby lamp or window. The screen is dark so it does a good job reducing glare from ambient light and maintains contrast even in a bright room.

SOUND QUALITY. This TV's sound is good, fine for typical TV programming, but won't reproduce the full range of movie soundtracks and music. It has a good volume range, but sound degrades at the highest settings. At more typical listening levels the TV has a generally smooth sound but the high notes are rolled off, and bass and impact are only decent. All told, none of these issues were overly distracting and most will find this sound quality acceptable.

EASE OF USE. Overall, we found the set easy to use. Setting up the TV for the first time was fairly straightforward, as was access to features and controls you'll probably adjust only once. Ease of access to features you typically use more often was very good. Also, the remote is very good, and the on-screen menu is easy to navigate.
The black against black labeling of the connectors on the TV console is very difficult to read. Remote has a dedicated button to access Internet features. The remote's major function buttons were sufficiently large and have high-contrast labeling, making them easier to see and navigate. We found the set responds slowly to commands from the remote.

STAND ASSEMBLY. Mounting the TV to the included support stand is fairly straightforward. The stand requires the assembly of a few parts before mounting.
INTERNET FEATURES. This TV provides advanced Internet capability. Features include a full Web browser and access to a library of applications via "Opera TV."" Movie streaming services include: Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, Netflix, Sony Video Unlimited. It also supports an optional Web cam for access to video conferencing applications such as Skype.

CONNECTIONS. This TV includes four HDMI inputs, one composite input, one shared connection between the component and composite inputs (which means you can only use one type or the other at a time), optical digital audio out, two USB ports, an Ethernet port, and Wi-Fi. Wireless connectivity includes: DLNA network file sharing. HDMI and analog cable connections made to the rear-facing panel will protrude beyond the panel's slim depth.

INCLUDED IN THE BOX. The TV comes with: a printed user manual, an electronic manual in the TV's menu, and a remote with batteries.
OPTIMIZED PICTURE SETTINGS. Our expert TV testers recommend the following settings for the Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B to get your image looking like the rated picture quality we saw in our lab.

Accessing the picture controls is simple; find the Menu, Home, or Settings button on your remote (name varies with manufacturer), and navigate to the picture settings menu where you'll see most of the controls. To find some other controls you may additionally have to enter the "advanced settings" or the "picture options" sub menus (name may vary depending on model). Don't worry about making any "mistakes." You can always reset the picture settings to factory default if necessary. Consult your user manual for additional guidance.

PICTURE SETTINGS.

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast (Picture): 90
Brightness: 51
Color: 53
Tint: G1
Sharpness: 35
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Backlight: 10
Aspect Ratio: Full (Display Area = Full Pixel)
Miscellaneous: Motionflow = Clear, CineMotion = Auto (All remaining settings set to OFF, or 0)
TV FIRMWARE. All TVs are evaluated using the latest firmware version available at the time of testing.
Firmware version for Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B is: PKG2.187AAA

ABOUT CR's OPTIMIZED PICTURE SETTINGS: Our fine-tuned picture adjustments are made with the support of special test patterns and reference videos to yield best image fidelity, and a professionally calibrated reference HDTV is used for comparison. Whether you are watching movies on Blu-ray or sports from your cable box these settings will ensure you are seeing the programs in the best quality this display can offer, short of a professional calibration. To optimize the image we typically turn off (or turn down) the settings from features that can often degrade performance, including; power saving modes (which often dim the image), sharpness, noise reduction (also known as DNR, a feature that can degrade image detail), and "motion smoothing", if present (an effect that can give movies a soap opera, video-like appearance). Optimal settings for your TV may vary a bit from ours due to slight variations between similar TV samples, or the firmware version of the TV's software.

ABOUT CR'S TV VIEWING CONDITIONS: Our picture settings are optimized for a dimmer home viewing environment. If the settings we recommend don't suit your taste or your environment, use the picture controls to achieve an image you consider "just right."

ABOUT FIRMWARE VERSION: Our test results and picture settings are valid for the version of firmware indicated. If your TV's firmware differs from the one shown you either have an older or a newer version of firmware. Manufacturers may periodically upgrade the TV's firmware to enhance operation, fix bugs, or add features. Firmware upgrades may be downloadable directly to your TV via a wired or wireless network (if internet capable), USB port, or memory card, depending on your TV's capability. You can check your TV's firmware version, or upgrade to the latest firmware by pressing the menu button on your remote and navigating to the appropriate submenu, typically under settings. Consult the user manual or manufacturer's website if further guidance is needed.

About - Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B

The Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B is a 60-inch LCD HDTV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p). It has LED backlighting, a more energy-efficient type of backlighting. Rather than the basic 60Hz, it has a faster 480Hz frame rate, a feature designed to reduce motion blur.

This model is Internet-enabled and can access online content, including streaming movie and TV services. It has an Ethernet jack for a wired connection to your home network via a cable. This TV is also Wi-Fi capable, so you can connect it to your home network wirelessly. It is DLNA certified, so you can view digital photos stored on a compatible computer, phone, or other mobile device also connected to your home network.

There are 5 HD-capable inputs: 4 HDMI and 1 component-video, which doubles as a composite-video input. It also has 2 USB ports, which may be used to play media--photos, videos, and music--stored on a flash drive.
The Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B measures 33.36 inches high by 54 inches wide by 9.13 inches deep, including its base. The panel itself is 3.38 inches thick including any protrusions, and the screen has a glossy finish. The bezel framing the screen is gloss black
The warranty on this TV covers parts/labor for 12/12 months, respectively.
Naija-gamer likes this.
post #22 of 66 Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Just purchased and installed this as well.

I am enjoying it but have the following observations:

Power cord is on the opposite side as inputs and, for me, is too short to reach plug when wall mounted (not a big whoop).

Using built in speakers, voices seem low compared to music etc. Otherwise they will do all right for the foreseeable future.

Haven't played with picture settings yet, beyond back-light. Can't imagine back-light set to 10 as CR does!
post #23 of 66 Old 09-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Regarding this TV, a Sony HT-CT370 soundbar and DirecTV Genie receiver.

I have HDMI cable and Sony told us it will come with Digital Optical cable.

Regarding hooking it up for best sound....better for us to use the HDMI and connect it to Genie receiver or should we just connect the sound bar directly to TV??

Thank you
post #24 of 66 Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony 60W630B is now $999 at amazon.

Is Sony discontinuing this and the W850B because their prices have dropped?
post #25 of 66 Old 10-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Sony 60W630B is now $999 at amazon.

Is Sony discontinuing this and the W850B because their prices have dropped?
I initially was interested in the W850B but due to all of the radial banding issues no longer want to pursue. I also read on this forum that the W850B was discontinued but I could not confirm this anywhere else after searching on google as well as the Sony website. Their serious lack of return policy (see posts by Shaun if interested on other threads) have really led me to stay away from Sony at least as far as this tv series. I also felt the same way, that is if it is being discontinued it is now being discounted heavily.
post #26 of 66 Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does the 60W630B come wiith the same panel/specs as the 60W850B sans 3D? I got a chance to see a demo unit at Fry's and was fairly impressed with the blacks and contrast. With the recent price cuts, these seem like a good option for me especially since I consider the weight/wedge design of the W850B as a con and the posts on the radial blur as well as the weak 3D.

Any owners can chime in on any issues with this particular model or feedback after using the TV for some time?

Last edited by xAlias; 10-09-2014 at 06:40 PM.
post #27 of 66 Old 10-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I've been eyeing this tv for a while now, waiting for the price to drop. With a 5 yr warranty for $99 not a bad deal! Unfortunately, it ain't payday lol. Maybe by Black Friday I can snag one of these.

"To the journey..
Sony KDL60W630b; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #28 of 66 Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am a past plasma owner so all LCD viewing angles leave a lot to be desired. I haven't been out to see it yet. How would you owners describe the viewing angle.
post #29 of 66 Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am also wondering about the vertical banding issue? Is anyone having this issue when watching something like football or baseball?
post #30 of 66 Old 10-17-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887 View Post
I am also wondering about the vertical banding issue? Is anyone having this issue when watching something like football or baseball?
I havent noticed an sort of banding what so ever and ive had this tv since August. Football looks great on it. how bad is it exactly? Have your tried messing with any of the motion settings?

As for the guy above who asked about viewing angle. I am currently seated about 9-10 feet from the tv with the couch directly centered in front of it andit being longer than the tv by a few feet on each side and its fine from anywhere on it. no lose of contrast.

the only thing i have noticed so far that i dont like is that some oranges and reds get washed out when looking at newer hd content, primarily some things on comedy central have done this. it is definitely the tv because on my 2nd tv (a samsung) it looks just fine. what can be doing this? i do not have any calibration settings either.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - W630B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page