Does "Game Mode" have worse quality than normal picture modes? (re: TVs in general) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does "Game Mode" have worse quality than normal picture modes? (re: TVs in general)

Most televisions have a "Game Mode" which disables a lot of video processing to improve input/display latency and they seem to typically work really good, but what is the disadvantage to these modes?

For example, my setup only has an HDMI matrix and AVR connected and then one single HDMI cable connected to my TV. This means I can only choose one "picture mode" unless I want to go into the TV menu every time I switch between movies and games.

Could I just leave "Game Mode" turned on all the time and calibrate it with a colorimeter? ...or is the picture going to probably be worse?

I would think "Game Mode" is a good thing if it disables most of the video processing because isn't most of that processing actually worse? (i.e. 120 Hz "smooth motion", removing noise artifacts; it just doesn't give you the raw actual image from the bluray, etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Most televisions have a "Game Mode" which disables a lot of video processing to improve input/display latency and they seem to typically work really good, but what is the disadvantage to these modes?

For example, my setup only has an HDMI matrix and AVR connected and then one single HDMI cable connected to my TV. This means I can only choose one "picture mode" unless I want to go into the TV menu every time I switch between movies and games.

Could I just leave "Game Mode" turned on all the time and calibrate it with a colorimeter? ...or is the picture going to probably be worse?

I would think "Game Mode" is a good thing if it disables most of the video processing because isn't most of that processing actually worse? (i.e. 120 Hz "smooth motion", removing noise artifacts; it just doesn't give you the raw actual image from the bluray, etc)
Game Modes generally turn off all advanced video processing and picture does suffer a little. You can do some minor tweaking, at least on Samsungs. What TV do you have? I have a Samsung UN65F9000 in the same setup you are talking about and I used to dig through the menu and turn on game mode every time but now I just choose my input, long press my remote's select button, change the input name to PC and play. It is the best way to reduce lag and pretty quick. Changing Input to PC will let you do a few calibration things but not much.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Game Mode is kind a like Eco mode, some stuff which is necessary to improve PQ, is turned off. On my TV there is a THEATRE button which does the opposite, some stuff is turned off to make PQ even better.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using a Vizio M651d-A2R and it doesn't seem to have any remote control buttons (or codes) to quickly change picture modes.

It sounds like you guys are saying though that Game Mode does actually reduce picture quality (in general)...
post #5 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
I'm using a Vizio M651d-A2R and it doesn't seem to have any remote control buttons (or codes) to quickly change picture modes.

It sounds like you guys are saying though that Game Mode does actually reduce picture quality (in general)...
It likely does on your set; it definitely does on mine. Are you noticing any lag with a calibrated picture? Regardless Vizio is one of the few that makes it pretty easy to turn Game Mode on; everyone else buries it in the menu.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - UN65F9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page