Any matte LED/LCD tv's left in the market?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any matte LED/LCD tv's left in the market?!?

Ok, so im in the market for a new 60-65" LED/LCD TV. And reflections absolutely drive me nuts. Problem is it seems there are no matte screen LED/LCD tv's left in the market?! Someone please tell me this isn't so?! I heard the Sharp tv's are my best bet at this point and even those are only semi-matte/glossy.

Was looking at the Sharp LC60C6500U which appears to be the same/older model of the Sharp LC60LE650U and it supposedly has a matte screen? Anyone confirm that?

Thanks all

Last edited by Thunder_God_Thor; 07-29-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
There is some talk about matte screens in this thread.
Thunder_God_Thor likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
There is some talk about matte screens in this thread.
Thanks SO MUCH for that link. Some good information in there, Im going to slowly read through the entire thread.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I've read in reviews on Amazon that the Sharp 70UD1 4K panel is matte. This panel will be replaced around Sept with a 60" and 70" 4K model called UD27. I'm waiting for it's debut to see if it's matte and I know it will have updated 4K standards met versus last years. I have a similar issue with reflections especially since I'm retired and daytime viewing with Florida sun is annoying all day and when I had a matte screen Sharp years ago I had ZERO.

For some reason Sharp has failed to bring it's Moth Eye non-reflective panel to US they partnered with Philips while they sell it in Japan. Matte screens are as rare as new plasma's now.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

^^^ It really sucks that all the TV companies basically got together and took away the consumer's option for a matte screen. Had I known this travesty was going to happen I would have bought a new TV last matte TV's were available. Now my TV's super old and in need of replacement and its basically mirror's for sale. $1k+ for a 60" mirror that also gives out a tv image somewhere in there. Horrible...

I hope this moth eye tech makes it here soon. Sadly, it will probably on the expensive end TV's for a while if and when it comes and then after that the tech might down into the mid end range TV's. It will be years. Now Im thinking since Im going to be dealing with reflections anyway I might as well just get a plasma from the last of them out there.
videobruce likes this.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Seems as the general consensus is a reflective panel provides a sharper image (no loss due to the coating). Doesn't seem to make any difference if the supposedly better PQ is ruined by reflections.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Seems as the general consensus is a reflective panel provides a sharper image (no loss due to the coating). Doesn't seem to make any difference if the supposedly better PQ is ruined by reflections.
My solution to that would be to find a way to control or eliminate the reflections in the room. It can be done; it just takes effort.

One thing I've done in TV commercials before is just to tip the set forward about 5-6 degrees, which shifts the reflections away from your field of view. If you're seeing yourself in the monitor, then get the room darker.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As matte as it gets these days. I have the 40" and think it's very good, definitely not glossy:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630...6820015&sr=1-3

Greg
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
^^^ Exactly videobruce!!! Who cares about the increased PQ if its ruined by reflections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
My solution to that would be to find a way to control or eliminate the reflections in the room. It can be done; it just takes effort.

One thing I've done in TV commercials before is just to tip the set forward about 5-6 degrees, which shifts the reflections away from your field of view. If you're seeing yourself in the monitor, then get the room darker.
^^^ All good points Marc, but, to that I would say that I just sold off my projector setup recently because of this very reason, watching tv/movies/etc. in zero to dim lighting puts A LOT of eye strain on you. Causes headache's, tired eyes, etc among other things. For multiple hour sittings I dont know about the rest of you but sitting in the dark for more than a couple hours and my eyes are just shot. So dimming the lights, turning them off or closing the blinds not an option. I like watching TV with the lights on. Solution to all of this is simply making available a matte screen TV in the market. I bet they sell a ton of these "matte TV's" if they bring them back to consumers like me. Reflections are my absolute ENEMY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
As matte as it gets these days. I have the 40" and think it's very good, definitely not glossy

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W630...6820015&sr=1-3
Thanks a ton for the suggestion gtaylor, its being seriously considered. Do you or anyone else know wether the older version of this TV the Sony KDL60R520A has the same semi-matte screen??

Last edited by Thunder_God_Thor; 07-31-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post
...watching tv/movies/etc. in zero to dim lighting puts A LOT of eye strain on you. Causes headache's, tired eyes, etc among other things. For multiple hour sittings I dont know about the rest of you but sitting in the dark for more than a couple hours and my eyes are just shot. So dimming the lights, turning them off or closing the blinds not an option.
Like it or not, this is the way the movies were intended to be seen. It's also the way we've mastered them for more than 35 years (that I know of).

What I would suggest for you is to find a happy medium where the room isn't pitch-black, but has a modicum of lighting so you can still get around. The BBC came out with a "monitor surround" idea about 20 years ago where they basically have a 20% gray reference with 6500-degree lighting behind the display, and some people prefer this. I've worked both ways, and it doesn't matter to me as long as the monitor looks good. If my eyes get tired, I use drops -- and I'm in a situation where I sometimes have to stare at monitors for 12-16 hours a day. (Not every day, but many days.)

I think there are almost always reasonable compromises if you work at them and look at them from other points of view.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Like it or not, this is the way the movies were intended to be seen. It's also the way we've mastered them for more than 35 years (that I know of).

What I would suggest for you is to find a happy medium where the room isn't pitch-black, but has a modicum of lighting so you can still get around. The BBC came out with a "monitor surround" idea about 20 years ago where they basically have a 20% gray reference with 6500-degree lighting behind the display, and some people prefer this. I've worked both ways, and it doesn't matter to me as long as the monitor looks good. If my eyes get tired, I use drops -- and I'm in a situation where I sometimes have to stare at monitors for 12-16 hours a day. (Not every day, but many days.)

I think there are almost always reasonable compromises if you work at them and look at them from other points of view.
Fair enough points. I do watch movies usually with the lights dimmed out but everything else (tv shows, sports, gaming) I do with the lights on. I have a feeling Im going to have to find a middle ground between angles, lighting and the tv since no matte screen tv's are available. Still Ill try to find as matte as possible a TV I can and then adjust lighting and angles accordingly. Thanks for your posts, Marc.
Marc Wielage likes this.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sharp's 650 series is pretty matte, but also a little dim. Sharp's new Q+ "near 4k" series are semi-matte and very bright.

I've basically given in and will soon own a huge mirror, the Sony 79X900B. Will be my first non-matte screen in 10 years. In my case I can close the curtains over my huge windows, but don't want to every time I turn on a baseball or basketball game. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Sharp's 650 series is pretty matte, but also a little dim. Sharp's new Q+ "near 4k" series are semi-matte and very bright.

I've basically given in and will soon own a huge mirror, the Sony 79X900B. Will be my first non-matte screen in 10 years. In my case I can close the curtains over my huge windows, but don't want to every time I turn on a baseball or basketball game. We'll see how it goes.
Congrats on the soon to be new TV. Hopefully it works out to your liking. As for me, Im pretty much down to Sharp & Sony. Sharp 650 series (what you mentioned) or Sony's KDL60 series of TV's. They fit within my budget and I think they have semi-matte screens. Leaning towards the Sony however although I have never owned either Sharp or Sony TV's before.
Janibrewski likes this.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_God_Thor View Post
^^^ Exactly videobruce!!! Who cares about the increased PQ if its ruined by reflections.

Thanks a ton for the suggestion gtaylor, its being seriously considered. Do you or anyone else know wether the older version of this TV the Sony KDL60R520A has the same semi-matte screen??

From what I can glean from the Amazon reviews, it seems to be semi-matte as well, just a prior iteration of their current line. Lots of complaints about the "smart" features of that TV, though; the newer one -- the one I have -- is actually excellent; I notice no difference in performance between it and my attached Roku.

Good luck with your ultimate selection.

Greg
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 View Post
From what I can glean from the Amazon reviews, it seems to be semi-matte as well, just a prior iteration of their current line. Lots of complaints about the "smart" features of that TV, though; the newer one -- the one I have -- is actually excellent; I notice no difference in performance between it and my attached Roku.

Good luck with your ultimate selection.
^^^ Thanks for the info. I too was gathering that the old one is semi-matte. Im 90% sure right now Im going to get that TV. I dont care for any of the smart option/features, never going to use them anyways so thats fine with me. I can get it for $899 hence leaning toward getting last years model instead of this years, its a solid deal I think.