Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Weston Konik
32" for movies. 60hz/120hz suggestions?

i have been wanting a good tv for movies, as my only current screen is my 24" gaming monitor (TN panel). i really want to get great quality and play movies at 24p. any suggestions would be great. my MAIN concern is the 24p. i would really love to see movies without the 3:2 pulldown. i assume that only NATIVE 120hz will give perfect 24p? i have seen 120hz effective... but yeah.... not exactly sure what that is. (perhaps the max interpolation, or 'smoothing', it can display?)

- Under $499 (if that is possible lol)
- 32"-40"
- 120hz NATIVE (assuming that is the only way to get true 24p playback
- does NOT need 3D or wifi, but smart enabled (Netflix Amazon) would be cool
- good picture quality (i reckon almost anything would beat the PQ of my BenQ RL2455HM TN gaming monitor lol)

the ONLY true 120hz tv i have seen is my sister's Sharp 55". but i have never actually experienced the 24p because my sisters husband INSISTS on the motion smoothing and has it on ALWAYS. my sister claims not to see a difference, and gets upset when i would try to turn it off, so i just don't bother watching that tv.

i saw a few seconds when he was watching a Dark Knight DVD (he owns a 55" $1500 tv, and has 3 bluray players in the house.. but he decided to rent the dvd version at the time T_T), but the motion smoothing (or whatever LG calls their implementation) was turned up so high, it literally looked like a Gotham Soap Opera lol

Another concern i have is that i read a comment somewhere on a 120hz i was looking at and the guy said that smoothmotion could NOT be turned off on that particular tv. that sounds like a nightmare. and reading up on a comment regarding a tv that said it was 120hz (but gave no indication if it was true 120hz, or interpolated) i read this......

"I spoke with an LG rep online and here's what they had to say: "This unit model 42LN5400 is TruMotion 120 Hz. It isn't native 120 Hz. There is no audio visual device that outputs more than 60Hz on market, that's why TruMotion is video software on the TV that doubles frames. TruMotion is video processing software. TruMotion up-converts the input video by creating new frames to create smoother motion." No device on the market that outputs more than 60Hz?? Draw your own conclusions. I bought this tv but am thinking of returning it - unopened."

what the hell?

SORRY for the long post, but i don't really get to make big purchases often, so i want to TRY and get the best i can. i would really appreciated ANY help or suggestions. i am in the US, by the way. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Weston Konik
These are what i am looking at right now, as far as 120hz

- Samsung UN32F6300
- LG 42LN5400
- Samsung UN40FH6030

i read a review for one of the tvs where a person said that the 120hz 'effect' was always on..... i have never heard of that. if it is a 120hz panel, couldn't i force 24p with my PS3 BDplayer?

Last edited by Weston Konik; 07-31-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - RL2455HM by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page