LCD Comparable to Panasonic ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LCD Comparable to Panasonic ST60

Hi, I am hoping to get some TV shopping advice. I have been looking for a new TV for a while, and decided on a Panasonic ST60 based on all of the positive reviews. Given how hard they are to find, I settled on a floor model.

Aside from the picture being a little too dark, it is really nice. The problem is that I noticed some burn in so I will probably be taking it back. The burn in is the main reason, but also because I am thinking it might be a little overkill. We watch a fair amount of SD content so it feels we are not using the TV to its full advantage. What LCD's out there are comparable to the ST60, or maybe a slight step down?

I am looking for a TV around 52-55 inches. There is a large screen window behind the couch so that results in quite a bit of brightness in the early parts of the day. Good smart features would be nice but is not necessary.

I would like to spend less than $1000, but I can go up to $1500 if it's worth it. I am in Canada, so purchasing here would be the likely option, but I am going to Michigan in about a month, so I can purchase from there if it is worth it. I checked out ABC Warehouse and Paul's TV online, but the prices don't seem that good that it would be worth it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

I was at a local Best Buy and I saw a Sony W790B that looked pretty good. I looked up this model and it looks like it's available in Canada only and the comparable model is W800B.

I had a bad experience with the Sony Optical Block issue so I was going to rule out Sony altogether, but I am having second thoughts. Otherwise, what would a comparable Samsung or LG model be?
post #3 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
There is no LCD comparable to the ST60, specially around your budget of 1k -1.5k. The flagship Sony XBR and Samsung flagship are the only ones that can compare but are way off your budget. If you mainly watch SD you are not taking advantage of a HDTV. Any lower budget tv will do for your needs.
asdfgh likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #4 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Post Stubborn Image Retention

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Hi, I am hoping to get some TV shopping advice. I have been looking for a new TV for a while, and decided on a Panasonic ST60 based on all of the positive reviews. Given how hard they are to find, I settled on a floor model.

Aside from the picture being a little too dark, it is really nice. The problem is that I noticed some burn in so I will probably be taking it back. The burn in is the main reason, but also because I am thinking it might be a little overkill. We watch a fair amount of SD content so it feels we are not using the TV to its full advantage. What LCD's out there are comparable to the ST60, or maybe a slight step down?

I am looking for a TV around 52-55 inches. There is a large screen window behind the couch so that results in quite a bit of brightness in the early parts of the day. Good smart features would be nice but is not necessary.

I would like to spend less than $1000, but I can go up to $1500 if it's worth it. I am in Canada, so purchasing here would be the likely option, but I am going to Michigan in about a month, so I can purchase from there if it is worth it. I checked out ABC Warehouse and Paul's TV online, but the prices don't seem that good that it would be worth it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
What you are probably experiencing is stubborn IR not burn in. There are ways to remove it, but it may take some time. Running the screen wash for several hours a day or using IR reducers like the Disney Wow BD's pixel flipper will help eliminate the issue if used daily. To prevent re-occurrence, you should always watch plenty of full screen content or use the screen wash after displaying static images for any length of time.

Ian
asdfgh likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
There is no LCD comparable to the ST60, specially around your budget of 1k -1.5k. The flagship Sony XBR and Samsung flagship are the only ones that can compare but are way off your budget. If you mainly watch SD you are not taking advantage of a HDTV. Any lower budget tv will do for your needs.
Thanks. I guess this is my problem when I am shopping for a TV. I look for quality and the TV's I look at get more and more expensive. Then I take a step back and think "what do I need that high end of a TV?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
What you are probably experiencing is stubborn IR not burn in. There are ways to remove it, but it may take some time. Running the screen wash for several hours a day or using IR reducers like the Disney Wow BD's pixel flipper will help eliminate the issue if used daily. To prevent re-occurrence, you should always watch plenty of full screen content or use the screen wash after displaying static images for any length of time.

Ian
Thanks for the advice, but I think I will be taking it back. The channels we watch all have a logo on the screen and I am worried that this will be a problem.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I guess this is my problem when I am shopping for a TV. I look for quality and the TV's I look at get more and more expensive. Then I take a step back and think "what do I need that high end of a TV?"

Thanks for the advice, but I think I will be taking it back. The channels we watch all have a logo on the screen and I am worried that this will be a problem.
I've had two Panasonic PDP's, (C2, S60) and watch plenty of content with logos and they have never been an issue for me. If you do go with an LCD, even if it's a entry level set, stick with a quality brand. Good luck.

Ian
asdfgh likes this.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I've had two Panasonic PDP's, (C2, S60) and watch plenty of content with logos and they have never been an issue for me. If you do go with an LCD, even if it's a entry level set, stick with a quality brand. Good luck.

Ian
Thanks again. One thing I am wondering, with IR it's usually an image of something right? That's what there is near the top right corner. But near the bottom left there is something that looks like a hand smudge. That's what I thought it was initially, and when I tried to wipe it away I noticed that it was something else. Any idea what that might be?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again. One thing I am wondering, with IR it's usually an image of something right? That's what there is near the top right corner. But near the bottom left there is something that looks like a hand smudge. That's what I thought it was initially, and when I tried to wipe it away I noticed that it was something else. Any idea what that might be?
IR is a ghost image of content that was displayed. The smudge you are describing may be a defect or damage from the AR filter. You have to be careful when cleaning the screen. Most experts recommend using a soft damp microfiber cloth.

Ian
asdfgh likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
The Sony 790b/800b 0.020 cd/m2 black level is close to the ST60's 0.007 cd/m2

http://www.rtings.com/info/contrast-ratio-tvs
asdfgh likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfer View Post
The Sony 790b/800b 0.020 cd/m2 black level is close to the ST60's 0.007 cd/m2

http://www.rtings.com/info/contrast-ratio-tvs
If you see them side by side = no comparison, not only in black levels. Sony is good for gaming though, good input lag. I agree for his needs this would fit the bill perfectly.
asdfgh likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #11 of 12 Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for advice everybody. I am considering the Sony 800B, Samsung H6350, and Samsung H7150.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am in a similar situation. My Panasonic TC-P55ST60 has died an early death thanks to careless humans while on vacation. They offered to buy me a new one! And I nearly died when I learned they don't make em anymore.

So I'm deciding between Panasonic TC-55AS680U (not sure I care or not about losing 3D) and Samsung UN55H7150. I've found tons of info on the Sammy but barely any on the Panny. I guess bc it's just too new. If anyone has seen both and has any info, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm gonna head to BestBuy and try to see both before making a final decision.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 790b by PriceGrabber.com