Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
"Official" Sony XBR-79X900B Owners Thread

The thread for the Sony 2014 XBR-55X900B/XBR-65X900B/XBR-79X900B goes to more than 130 pages with lots of anticipation posts, comments on comparisons between different sets and now, a smattering of owner posts. I think it's time to start an "OWNER'S" thread so that we can post tips, experiences, and observations to this unique set; without having to sort through 130 odd pages of general info.

Some general information gleaned from reading many other posts any my own observations

Outside stand width at the outer sides of the TV: 80"/2035mm. Outside stand width at the inner mounting points: 22 1/2"/ 570mm. Minimum stand depth: 17 1/2"/ 450mm.
Panel 3840 x 2160P YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit IPS manufactured by LG, this is probably a different panel than those in the 950 series
Video Processing: Sony proprietary "4K X-reality Pro", Super scaler is Sony proprietary "Precision Cinema HD Upscale"
All 4 HDMI outputs are HDMI 2.0 2160/60 fps 4:2:0 8-bit
HDCP 2.2 is on HDMI-4 only
ARC is on HDMI-1 only
HDMI-2 & 4 are MHL capable
2K 3D passive--comes with 2 pr of glasses
The set comes with 4 stand offs of two heights to make the TV vertical when a wall mount bracket is used.

Last edited by Ted99; 08-05-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My Sony XBR-79X900B was purchased from a B&M store and delivered on Friday, Aug 1. I elected to do setup myself, so after putting the set on the stand, the delivery person left. Turned out the set was DOA--couldn't finish the initial setup and the set was not responsive to remote commands, such as "menu", "input", etc. Contacted Sony support and got a person in India. Went thru the usual "unplug for 1 min", etc. Did a "reset", all to no avail. Reported to the support person that the red power LED was flashing in a cycle eight times. Manual says this is a specific trouble code indicator, but the level of support person I was speaking to didn't know what it meant. She said the problem had to be elevated to Sony Engineering support, and I would be contacted within 2 business days.
post #3 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
My Sony XBR-79X900B was purchased from a B&M store and delivered on Friday, Aug 1. I elected to do setup myself, so after putting the set on the stand, the delivery person left. Turned out the set was DOA--couldn't finish the initial setup and the set was not responsive to remote commands, such as "menu", "input", etc. Contacted Sony support and got a person in India. Went thru the usual "unplug for 1 min", etc. Did a "reset", all to no avail. Reported to the support person that the red power LED was flashing in a cycle eight times. Manual says this is a specific trouble code indicator, but the level of support person I was speaking to didn't know what it meant. She said the problem had to be elevated to Sony Engineering support, and I would be contacted within 2 business days.
Why are you going through all of that. If the set is Brand New and it's DOA, demand a replacement or get your money back from the B&M store you bought it from..
Citivas likes this.
post #4 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Why are you going through all of that. If the set is Brand New and it's DOA, demand a replacement or get your money back from the B&M store you bought it from..
Agree 100%, during the initial purchase period up to 30 days the Vendor B&M should be resolving any DOA - your usually paying a surplus to that vendor above an internet reseller and thus they should be the one's jumping through hoops to correct a DOA ASAP.

After the initial 30 days you the handle it with the manufacturer in most cases - but get them to correct this promptly especially when you this kind of money invested for a DOA - most B&M's make sure their delivery people will setup and test before leaving. Seems they fell short on this and you paid a high premium and they need to earn your money. Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #5 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Agree 100%, during the initial purchase period up to 30 days the Vendor B&M should be resolving any DOA - your usually paying a surplus to that vendor above an internet reseller and thus they should be the one's jumping through hoops to correct a DOA ASAP.

After the initial 30 days you the handle it with the manufacturer in most cases - but get them to correct this promptly especially when you this kind of money invested for a DOA - most B&M's make sure their delivery people will setup and test before leaving. Seems they fell short on this and you paid a high premium and they need to earn your money. Good Luck!
Absolutely right. I would have bought from an internet retailer for a saving of $1K, but wife said "Buy locally in case there is a problem". I've never had a DOA problem before, so I wasn't too concerned, but because I've seen some reports of banding on some sets, I thought it would be a good idea. Turns out to be a VERY good idea. Just tweaking Sony support to see what their reaction will be.

A search on the Sony support site of "8 blinking red lights" shows a lot of people that bought other sets a couple of years ago very upset with the repair cost out of warranty. Seems like it's a motherboard failure and Sony is not providing any support once warranty expires. Seems like a repeat of my 70" Qualia experience.
post #6 of 50 Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Sure thing. But, problem came up at the weekend and I wanted to exercise Sony support to see if there was an easy fix. Answer: No.
post #7 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone tell me the distance the bottom of the feet are apart, as in the minimum depth of a tv stand this set could be on? (I know the Sony specs say it's 44cm, want to know 100% from people who have the set.)
post #8 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncleaver View Post
Can anyone tell me the distance the bottom of the feet are apart, as in the minimum depth of a tv stand this set could be on? (I know the Sony specs say it's 44cm, want to know 100% from people who have the set.)
I've added this to the first post
post #9 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm in. Just placed the order.

Quick question: for any of you with a receiver and the FMP-X10 box, do you have a separate HDMI cable for each going to the TV, or do you run the FMP-X10 through the receiver like everything else?

I've got a Yamaha 2030, which says does "4K pass-through."
post #10 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post

Quick question: for any of you with a receiver and the FMP-X10 box, do you have a separate HDMI cable for each going to the TV, or do you run the FMP-X10 through the receiver like everything else?

The X10 has to go to the TV directly.

The second output of the X10 is audio only for use with your receiver.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #11 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Alert, Will Robinson, Alert! (dated myself, there). Sony engineering support got back to me today. They have discovered that if you have a live wi-fi signal or wired ethernet connection during initial setup, the setup will freeze at the "set up update" screen. This was discovered too late to get in the manual. The fix is to disconnect any ethernet cable and turn off your wi fi router and then go through the initial setup procedure. Skip the step where you perform an update until full setup is complete. Then, connect your ethernet/wi-fi and go to home---settings---ethernet setup----update. Worked perfectly! Set is beautiful on upscaled 1080i from Comcast! No banding evident, yet.

The blinking red light cycle of 8 blinks indicates that the set is trying to update. It's frozen there because the internet has not been activated in the initial setup, yet; and because it's frozen, you can't get to the page for activation. The snake is eating it's tail. Sony will have to change it's setup software to avoid the confusion.
Janibrewski likes this.

Last edited by Ted99; 08-04-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info
post #12 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post

I believe you must connect the FMP-X10 to the HDMI port that has HDCP 2.2 (4).
Janibrewski likes this.
post #13 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Alert, Will Robinson, Alert! (dated myself, there). Sony engineering support got back to me today. They have discovered that if you have a live wi-fi signal or wired ethernet connection during initial setup, the setup will freeze at the "set up update" screen. This was discovered too late to get in the manual. The fix is to disconnect any ethernet cable and turn off your wi fi router and then go through the initial setup procedure. Skip the step where you perform an update until full setup is complete. Then, connect your ethernet/wi-fi and go to home---settings---ethernet setup----update. Worked perfectly! Set is beautiful on upscaled 1080i from Comcast! No banding evident, yet.

The blinking red light cycle of 8 blinks indicates that the set is trying to update. It's frozen there because the internet has not been activated in the initial setup, yet; and because it's frozen, you can't get to the page for activation. The snake is eating it's tail. Sony will have to change it's setup software to avoid the confusion.
Glad to hear all is well!
I think this should apply only to Ethernet as wifi needs to be selected from a menu to connect, password entered and all.
I was able to go through all the setup without unplugging my router/wireless setup.
post #14 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Glad to hear all is well!
I think this should apply only to Ethernet as wifi needs to be selected from a menu to connect, password entered and all.
I was able to go through all the setup without unplugging my router/wireless setup.
I agree with you, but you know how it is with tech support. Do exactly as they say or the telephone connection goes bad. Didn't hurt to do it, so I did (and reported what I was told). Since I have Cat 5E wiring to the TV, I never enabled the wi-fi in the TV--no reason to confuse the TV about which one to use.
post #15 of 50 Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I contacted Sony support to ask what happens when I connect my 4K upscaling Sony Blu-Ray player to the XBR-79X900B. Which upscaler is used? Answer: The Sony Blu Ray player recognizes the XBR as having superior upscaling capability and sends 1080p to the TV, and the TV does the upscaling. An advantage to having like brands. I wonder if the other manufacturers do the same?

Just spent my first day and night night watching a number of Comcast cable programs recorded on the X-1 (True Blood, Masterpiece Mystery, Last Ship and Falling Sky). Did Falling Sky and Last Ship in the afternoon with a lot of ambient light (floor to ceiling windows left, right, and rear). Falling Sky is a dark program and was difficult to see dark detail, but better than my XBR-60LX900 at the same time of day--clearly a program to be watched after dark. Last Ship is a very bright program and was much better. Same for True Blood and Mystery Theater in the evening. These were all upscaled from 1080i and I really do see much more detail I never knew was there. If HD caused the makeup artists a headache, 4K is going to make their job an order of magnitude more difficult. So far, ecstatic about the purchase. We went for the Sony over the Samsung because the upscaling looked better in the store demo, though the blacks on the Samsung were better. Pick your priority, because it'll be necessary until 85" OLED's are available--and I'll be in line for one when they hit a sub $10K price. But I know it'll be a few years wait, hence the Sony purchase--not a bad way to wait.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #16 of 50 Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The sound is very good from the on-board speakers, except for the lower bass. You don't need to buy the Sony wireless sub, however, if you already have a sub. Plug a 3.5mm to RCA adapter (picture below) into the "earphones jack between the HDMI connectors and go to the menu--sound--earphone jack---and select "sub". Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010079.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	197577  
post #17 of 50 Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 AM

I've ordered the set earlier than expected as I managed to get a discount.

However, it's coming to my current flat (am moving, and the new bigger place will be where I use the TV).

I've checked the box measurements and should be able to get it in here (it will be difficult though), there's 2 delivery people who are coming to deliver.

On the packaging-side, is it easy to remove the box and repackage?

I'll want to test the set as I won't move in time for the initial 30 day return scheme.. So would ideally like to be able to lift the top of the box off, plug in the TV, check it, then unplug and put the box back on.
post #18 of 50 Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I've ordered the set earlier than expected as I managed to get a discount.

However, it's coming to my current flat (am moving, and the new bigger place will be where I use the TV).

I've checked the box measurements and should be able to get it in here (it will be difficult though), there's 2 delivery people who are coming to deliver.

On the packaging-side, is it easy to remove the box and repackage?

I'll want to test the set as I won't move in time for the initial 30 day return scheme.. So would ideally like to be able to lift the top of the box off, plug in the TV, check it, then unplug and put the box back on.
You should be able to remove the top and protecting material and put it back (take a pic of how they are before removing them).
The feet/stand comes mounted and power cable attached (can not be removed and is very short).
post #19 of 50 Old 08-06-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I set up a bias light behind the set. It's a 48" 36w 6500K flourescent single tobe (all at Home Depot). Drilled 2 holes 400mm apart in the case and attached it to the back of the set using the 2 upper stand offs in the wall mount holes. Picture below.

Tried a standard 480p DVD last night. Really superior picture to what my 1080P set did with the upscaling. Close to an HD picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010080.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	199929  
post #20 of 50 Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Anyone know of good videos to download that have test patterns to check for issues with the panel and backlight?

The set arrives tomorrow, and want to test things quickly in case I need to return

EDIT: LOL, the delivery men wouldn't deliver it, so re-arranging to my new property that I'm moving into. Sony support were awful, had to call up again as the woman didn't understand that the delivery men wouldn't carry it up the stairs.

Last edited by Crimsoncleaver; 08-08-2014 at 05:23 AM.
post #21 of 50 Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 AM

For the 3D can you use any passive glasses (like those from the movie theatre/cinema)?
post #22 of 50 Old 08-09-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
For the 3D can you use any passive glasses (like those from the movie theatre/cinema)?
Probably, but not certain without trying. The passive 3D works with different polarization with left and right eye. Don't know if theater 3D has the same polarization arrangement as the Sony. Shouldn't be too difficult to find out--just try them with the set.
post #23 of 50 Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Not got the set now, it's coming in a week. Was thinking of getting the Rocketfish Oakley glasses
post #24 of 50 Old 08-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Yes
post #25 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 01:22 AM

Does the Netflix app support 3D?
post #26 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
I contacted Sony support to ask what happens when I connect my 4K upscaling Sony Blu-Ray player to the XBR-79X900B. Which upscaler is used? Answer: The Sony Blu Ray player recognizes the XBR as having superior upscaling capability and sends 1080p to the TV, and the TV does the upscaling. An advantage to having like brands. I wonder if the other manufacturers do the same?
If you have a 4K TV, a upscaling 4K blu ray player is not required..... With this said I guess it is marketing hype to even put that on a box, because if a 4K TV does not need it, what does......LOL
post #27 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you have a 4K TV, a upscaling 4K blu ray player is not required..... With this said I guess it is marketing hype to even put that on a box, because if a 4K TV does not need it, what does......LOL
Only too right. It was a gift from a none too savy relative. Beyond me why anyone would purchase a 4K upscaling DVD player. If you have a 4K TV, the set does it. If you don't, you don't need it. I was happy with the "dual processor", though, supposedly for faster startups; but I would never have purchased it.

A subjective way to judge the Blacks: on my 900B, the letterbox bars are not as black as the frame. On the 950B I saw in the store, they were closer to the frame color.
post #28 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does the Netflix app support 3D?
Not sure what you mean by Netflix app. I can't find any streaming 3D from netflix. Just ordered the Hubble blu ray disc in 3D from netflix to give it a try.
post #29 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by Netflix app. I can't find any streaming 3D from netflix. Just ordered the Hubble blu ray disc in 3D from netflix to give it a try.
I think the content is limited, found a Sony support page and this model isn't listed, so looks like no Netflix 3D:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...lix-service%3F

On seating distance, I've worked out I'll be 7 feet and 7 inches from the screen, is that too close?

The TV will be wall mounted so my eyeline is in the middle, which works out that the TV will be 16.5 inches off the ground (sorry for random measurements, converting from metric).
post #30 of 50 Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the content is limited, found a Sony support page and this model isn't listed, so looks like no Netflix 3D:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...lix-service%3F

On seating distance, I've worked out I'll be 7 feet and 7 inches from the screen, is that too close?

The TV will be wall mounted so my eyeline is in the middle, which works out that the TV will be 16.5 inches off the ground (sorry for random measurements, converting from metric).
My eyeballs are 10', exactly from the screen. I can get to within 1 m (Yes, I've lived in several metric countries--actually, it's everywhere except the USA and the Ivory Coast) without seeing pixel structure. So, I don't think your distance is too close. In fact, it'll probably give you an almost complete field of view and better than my 2.85 m. My stand is also 420mm high and it puts the center of the screen exactly at my eyeball height. There are reports that the set is sensitive to the vertical viewing angle, so getting a relatively low stand height is important. I'm temporarily using the stand that Sony made for the 70" Qualia SXRD RPTV, but i'm planning to make a less deep and wider stand so that I can use the end positions for the TV feet.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-79X900B by PriceGrabber.com