JVC EM65FTR Official Thread **Review** - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wabkab
post #1 of 27 Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC EM65FTR Official Thread **Review**

Hello Everyone,

Please see below for specs, and my review.

Emerald w/ Roku Series

65" Class Full HD 1080P LED TV w/Roku
Introducing the all new JVC 65-inch, EM65FTR, Emerald Series Full HD 1080P LED TV w/Roku Ready® Streaming Stick. The Roku Ready® Streaming Stick makes it so easy to enjoy the best selection of entertainment. Far more movies, TV episodes, music, news, sports, kids' shows and free programming than any other streaming player. Plug the Roku Ready® Streaming Stick into the MHL™ port of your Roku Ready JVC HDTV and choose from 1000+ entertainment channels. No additional remote required, easily operate from across the room with your JVC remote, integrated with Roku--it's that simple! Experience all your movie, video, and music experience in crystal clear, sharp, vibrant picture quality thanks to the built-in CrystalColor engine and hear the difference with JVC's innovative XinemaSound 3D acoustic and surround sound processor.

Key Features

Roku Streaming Stick MHL built in CrystalColor enhancement Slim edge design XinemaSound 3D Direct LED Full HD 1080P, CM120Hz Energy Star
- See more at: http://jvc-tv.com/category/emeraldro....PK9PuOBv.dpuf

Review

I've had the unit for 3 days it replaced the 4k TV that I returned to costco (65l9300U toshiba)

Toshiba did look better for regular cable 1080 HD streams with less pixelization this is probably due to the fancy filters/processing built into the TV. The JVC by no means looks bad, but simply more blocky on ****** compressed feeds like Comcast cable gives. Netflix on 1080 Super HD looks great and it was hard to tell the difference between the toshiba and JVC at 8 feet away.

For a 1500$ difference in price, I can say the JVC was worth the "downgrade" I didn't use the Roku stick that was included so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it works like Chromecast. I have a Roku 3 that I was using and it's got a faster snappier processor, which makes the User experience very nice.

The OSD to control settings was easy and very fast to setup, the ARC and CEC controls work perfectly as the TV would turn on and off my audio receiver. Them MHL functionality seems to work pretty well as well, and there is a very sweet display off mode which allows you to keep the TV on to play music while the actual screen is off.

I can't comment on the speakers as I was using my in ceiling 5.1 system with receiver

Pros
-Fast power on to picture display
-Fast HDMI switching
-Fast OSD and responsive OSD
-Lots of OSD options
-ARC/CEC/MHL support works great
-PQ is acceptable especially for the price
-4 HDMI ports and lots of connectivity options
-Super price
-Free Roku, virtually makes it a smart TV

Cons
-Bezel could be nicer and higher quality
-JVC name not as valued as others
-Noticeably more pixelated than the other Toshiba on lower/compressed streams

I don't feel any of the cons detract anything from the product and they are just opinions.

All is all a good bargain of a tv.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Could you post some pics?
post #3 of 27 Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Purchased this set at Costco for $899. So far it seems alright. Picture is accurate and bright, much more realistic than the 70 inch E series Vizio it is replacing. The only issues that I am having is that when I rsaise the brightness level passed 51 the edge of the screen seems to wash out to a greenish color. Not wild about the calibration settings I pulled from a pro review site. I will update with further experiences.
post #4 of 27 Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 AM

Unhappy

I've had some trouble get my Harmony 550 remote to switch inputs on this TV. It seems like there are discrete commands to switch to all inputs except for HDMI1, HDM2, and HDMI3. Instead, there is s single HDMI button that cycles between the three. This is causing the harmony remote to more often than not select the wrong HDMI input.

Anyone got a solution? I can't figure out a good way to 1) identify the discrete commands for HDM1, HDMI2, and HDMI3 (if they even exist), and 2) get those codes into my Harmony remote.

Otherwise, for $899, I'm very happy with this TV.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 278
This is not the old JVC, Amtran of Taiwan bought the Licensing rights to JVC and likely one can expect products similar to Vizio since Amtran manufactures over 50% of Vizio lines which may not be a bad thing if they continue their climb in PQ to value dept.

My point is that JVC may not have the standards of the past as the branding rights have been bought not necessarily earned - yet.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #6 of 27 Old 11-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Could someone post menu settings for best picture adjustments recommended for average room lighting. Consumer reports has recommended settings for dark room movie viewing listed. I find these a little lacklustre in the daytime.

Tony B
post #7 of 27 Old 12-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ordered from Sam's for $698 & free shipping on cyber Monday. Hope to have it by the weekend?
post #8 of 27 Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windham9 View Post
Ordered from Sam's for $698 & free shipping on cyber Monday. Hope to have it by the weekend?
If you search there are a few recommendations out there for menu picture settings--one being on Consumer reports.org. Problem is most if not all recommendations are for darkroom viewing.
windham9 likes this.

Tony B
post #9 of 27 Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windham9 View Post
Give us a detailed review of your Sam's Club purchase. I'm interested to find out if the MHL port works out of the box. There's a couple reviews on the Sam's Club site that say it doesn't. Also, picture review on HD and SD (if you have access to 480i/720p material). Also, does it let you save channels - I'm using an antenna/rotor OTA system and need to know if it lets you save channels or if you have to scan for new channels every time the antenna is aimed - also how long does it take to complete a channel scan cycle? I'm very interested in this specific model. I had a 73" JVC RPTV which I had an extremely bad experience with in regards to quality/workmanship. Basically, the display engine burnt out and the repair man destroyed my TV attempting to install a new one. I'm very bitter on JVC, but since they're now a different manufacturer I'd be willing to give them a shot. TIA for your assistance!
post #10 of 27 Old 12-04-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toowildtotame View Post
Give us a detailed review of your Sam's Club purchase. I'm interested to find out if the MHL port works out of the box. There's a couple reviews on the Sam's Club site that say it doesn't. Also, picture review on HD and SD (if you have access to 480i/720p material). Also, does it let you save channels - I'm using an antenna/rotor OTA system and need to know if it lets you save channels or if you have to scan for new channels every time the antenna is aimed - also how long does it take to complete a channel scan cycle? I'm very interested in this specific model. I had a 73" JVC RPTV which I had an extremely bad experience with in regards to quality/workmanship. Basically, the display engine burnt out and the repair man destroyed my TV attempting to install a new one. I'm very bitter on JVC, but since they're now a different manufacturer I'd be willing to give them a shot. TIA for your assistance!
I still have a 7 year old JVC HD56FH97 with the factory lamp in it. Back in the 80s & 90's I sold JVC TV's & VCR's as well as their car & home audio. Those actual JVC-built products were rock solid. (Remember back when all the good imported electronics came from Japan? junk was all from Taiwan)

I opted for free shipping, it might be here by the weekend, or not? It's going in my beloved Samsung 67" 's location. I'm replacing a bad DLP chip in Sam, and relegating him to the other room.

HL67A750A1

So when I get it, mount it & watch it a few days, I'll review it. The saving of channels is big for me too, my locals are in 4 locations. (I have 4 discreet antennas on a switching system) And I watch sports so I'll be very critical of motion issues.

I actually prefer RPTV for a big set because I can work on that. But like CRT's, RPTV is history. I suppose for $700 if a big set lasts 5 years I got my moneys worth. I'm still waiting for someone to build a set with as good a picture as my Sony 34" HD CRT. That may never happen.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Im thinking about "upgrading" my 7 year old sony kds 60a3000 sxrd and thinking about either a 60" lg plasma for $500 or this 65" jvc led for $700. Both technologies have their pluses and minuses but im wondering if i should just wait until my tv actually starts dying. What are everyones thoughts? Would appreciate any feedback.
post #12 of 27 Old 12-07-2014, 06:49 AM

Got the set Friday, so far its really good. Allows adding channels without losing previously scanned in channels. Looks great OTA ATSC and via HDMI input. I adjusted down the backlight, brightness, & contrast. Looks good as close as 2-3 feet. Viewing at angle is good, including looking up from the bottom. Size is still nice at my max 22' distance. I'll watch the NFL on it today, that will be the true test!

The minor issues include - Close wall mounts will require making all connections before hanging it. The non-standard power cord is actually about 3 feet long?? No protective cover on screen, very hard to hang without touching screen. Has a bag over the set in box, but no pull-off screen cover. (A few sports motion issues, no more than any other TV, those are probably in the signal to start with.)

I forgot to plug the Roku in it before hanging, I have multiple HTPC's so I really won't use it. But I intend to take the set back down very soon, install the Roku & some 1 inch mount spacers. Close is nice but I want to be able to plug a cable in. And I do want to see if the Roku works. A small handed person might can reach the side connections. But the bottom row of connections is in a recess. Use spacers if you can.

Last edited by windham9; 12-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 12-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Can anyone post the optimal picture settings for this model? Either for dark room viewing or bright room viewing. Just looking for a good starting point
post #14 of 27 Old 12-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Let me google that for you:
After a basic darkroom calibration, we found the best settings for testing the EM55FTR to be
Brightness at 48,
Contrast at 51,
Dynamic Contrast set to Low,
Adaptive Backlight set to Off,
and Color Temperature set to Warm.

Mine is to be delivered today, hoping for best... and no damage.
post #15 of 27 Old 12-10-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstripes View Post
I've had some trouble get my Harmony 550 remote to switch inputs on this TV. It seems like there are discrete commands to switch to all inputs except for HDMI1, HDM2, and HDMI3. Instead, there is s single HDMI button that cycles between the three. This is causing the harmony remote to more often than not select the wrong HDMI input.

Anyone got a solution? I can't figure out a good way to 1) identify the discrete commands for HDM1, HDMI2, and HDMI3 (if they even exist), and 2) get those codes into my Harmony remote.

Otherwise, for $899, I'm very happy with this TV.
I thought i would have same problems. But i just programmed mine, and it works fine. It switched from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and vice versa completely fine.
What problems where you having?
post #16 of 27 Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamleshg View Post
After a basic darkroom calibration, we found the best settings for testing the EM55FTR to be
Brightness at 48,
Contrast at 51,

Got it installed and programmed in a few hours. Pleasantly surprised by black's and motion...
Some HD channels didnt pop as much as others, but definitely gotta stick to HD going forward.
post #17 of 27 Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamleshg View Post
Brightness at 48,
Contrast at 51,

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvador69 View Post
Can anyone post the optimal picture settings for this model? Either for dark room viewing or bright room viewing. Just looking for a good starting point
The backlight is adjustable same as contrast on the 65", I've set mine to 0 now, with brig & contr @ 40. Set looks good. As it comes out of the box it is set up too bright for most. I find it to be very watchable with the settings in the 20's in the dark. Brighter you run it, faster it wears out, IMO.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-10-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabkab View Post
If you search there are a few recommendations out there for menu picture settings--one being on Consumer reports.org. Problem is most if not all recommendations are for darkroom viewing.
My room is not very bright in day, but I will say the overhead light's glare on the screen seems worse than with my old Samsung RPTV. Easily solved, turn off the light!
However, users considering this set for very bright areas might wait till someone reviews one as such. My solid wood blinds & single 60 watt light, its dark in here.
post #19 of 27 Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone with an EM65FTR noticed uneven backlighting? I have the smaller model (42"), but noticed today that the bottom half of the screen is significantly brighter than the top half. I've tried turning off dynamic backlight, contrast, etc, but nothing helps. I am about to return the TV to the store, but I am torn on whether to swap it for the same model, or just get a refund and look at a different tv. Thoughts?
post #20 of 27 Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just hooked this TV up for a buddy. Nice tv for under $700.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM

I'm looking to replace my Sony KF-60XBR800 with failing optical block. This RPTV made me appreciate the value of contrast ratio by virtue of the fact that it had NONE. I've been determined to get a local dimming set for my next TV and had my sights set on the Vizio 65" M series. However, our local Costco doesn't seem to be in any rush to get the '14s in stock and they don't ship from Costco.com to Hawaii.

Also, with the current Sony set mostly unwatchable, we've hardly turned it on in the last 2 months and I am finding that maybe we don't need so much TV [gasp]!? This brings me to sub-$1000 sets. There is the Vizio D650I-B2 which seems to be a Vizio E series minus 1 HDMI port. It features local dimming but ony 6 zones which hardly seems worth it. It's priced at $879 after instant rebate.

Then I saw this JVC set. Only $699 after instant rebate (till 1/31). Seems to look quite acceptable but who can really say in the warehouse. It forgoes local dimming but the reviews are generally good with regard to black levels. From what I've read, it's a 60Hz panel 'tricked' into thinking it's 120Hz and I think the Vizio is the same.

I'm a racing fan and am writing to see if anyone can comment on the motion performance of this set. I've also read that Amtran is sourcing a lot of vizio's panels so it's possible that they're going to be the same (minus the back light component).
post #22 of 27 Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just to update,

many months later and I'm still VERY happy. Mind you i'm not a PQ expert, I'm just taking my experience with my Toshiba 4k vs this JVC, and the JVC wins hands down due to all the features I mentioned above. The tv, turns off my Pioneer receiver no problem when I power the TV off, so ARC is working great, except that the stereo always needs to be switched to the right input.

Someone was asking for pics, just good it looks the same as all the units out there...
post #23 of 27 Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM

Loving This JVC Panel!!!

I bought this panel on 12/31/14 (this past New Year’s Eve) and I’m loving PQ and the fact it comes with Roku to stream just about everything! Almost 2 weeks before New Year’s Eve, I was cross-shopping the JVC with the Vizio and a Samsung (both were more expensive than the JVC) and I wrote down the model numbers and specs in my phone.

So on New Year’s Eve I went to Costco to get some last minute groceries and the the JVC was the first panel I saw in the front row on the end with a price of only $699.99 (2 weeks before it was $899.99) but the discount expired that day and Costco was closing in 1 ½ hours!!! So I pulled out my phone, confirmed this was the JVC model I was interested in, got an employee to confirm they had any in stock and the guy says, “yes, we’ve got 2 of them I think.” Turns out 1 was left but I had my car not my truck since I wasn’t planning on going home with a 65” TV!!! : So Costco let me pay for the TV and they kept it while I quickly drove home to get my truck. Everything worked out and I’m really impressed with this TV, especially at this price! The size is also perfect for our living room. I ended up going back to Costco a week later and picked up a Vizo sound bar speaker w/sub for $129.99 and it sounds great too!

By the way, the sound bar just barely covers the bottom part of the TV, maybe by a half an inch or less. Any suggestions for propping up the TV (which sits on the TV stand) by 1 or 2 inches? Something black that would match the TV and stand and not be noticeable.

Last edited by Nickerz; 01-30-2015 at 04:06 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Glad you like the TV, But now i see it for sale @ 698

I am very temping to pull the trigger the only thing holding be back is the 60hz refresh rate.

Sent from myiPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 27 Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 AM

5.1 signal?

Is anyone else having trouble outputting Dolby 5.1 to their receiver/soundbar via the TVs digital optical port? I've turned off the television speakers and selected Dolby Digital for the output type, but when I configure a Netflix episode to play in 5.1 (through the included Roku dongle) and press play, the screen flashes static, makes an angry sound, then proceeds to play the episode in complete silence... Once, to manifest its intense displeasure, it even went so far as to reboot the Roku and to reset all the aforementioned TV audio settings I'd toggled

Is it the Roku stick that isn't delivering, or is the TV incapable of outputting 5.1? If so, is there any workaround to get the surround mix to the soundbar? Thanks!
post #26 of 27 Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM

Liked: 0
I bought the EM65FTR a few weeks before Xmas 2014 and have generally been happy with it (Sam's Club deal mentioned here a few times)

I don't need a Smart TV, as I have this hooked up directly to my PC (and stereo). I never even unpacked/touched the ROKU

I used these settings, which differ from what people have been posting here ... I can't remember where I found them:

Backlight 45, Contrast 50, Brightness 50, Color 65, Tint 0, Sharpness 10, Color Temperature natural, Dynamic Contrast medium, Adaptive Backlight on

Guess what we noticed about 10-14 days ago? We had a shadowy "burn-in" bar, about 2-3 inches high across the entire middle of the screen! <see attached>
It doesn't matter what settings are used now (though turning off Adaptive Backlight significantly makes the screen brighter overall), the bar is there

I'm just within the 90 day period to take it back for a full refund, so I'm doing that. I don't want the same model (they don't have it anyway) - any suggestions?
I'm willing to spend up to an extra $300 bucks for an upgrade, spent $698 originally. Want to stay in the 65-70 inch range, if possible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The JVC EM65FTR shadow bar issue2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	574977  
post #27 of 27 Unread Today, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

^^ certainly not normal, I do not have a blackbar.... Return it defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page