Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC EM65FTR Official Thread **Review**

Hello Everyone,

Please see below for specs, and my review.

Emerald w/ Roku Series

65" Class Full HD 1080P LED TV w/Roku
Introducing the all new JVC 65-inch, EM65FTR, Emerald Series Full HD 1080P LED TV w/Roku Ready® Streaming Stick. The Roku Ready® Streaming Stick makes it so easy to enjoy the best selection of entertainment. Far more movies, TV episodes, music, news, sports, kids' shows and free programming than any other streaming player. Plug the Roku Ready® Streaming Stick into the MHL™ port of your Roku Ready JVC HDTV and choose from 1000+ entertainment channels. No additional remote required, easily operate from across the room with your JVC remote, integrated with Roku--it's that simple! Experience all your movie, video, and music experience in crystal clear, sharp, vibrant picture quality thanks to the built-in CrystalColor engine and hear the difference with JVC's innovative XinemaSound 3D acoustic and surround sound processor.

Key Features

Roku Streaming Stick MHL built in CrystalColor enhancement Slim edge design XinemaSound 3D Direct LED Full HD 1080P, CM120Hz Energy Star
- See more at: http://jvc-tv.com/category/emeraldro....PK9PuOBv.dpuf

Review

I've had the unit for 3 days it replaced the 4k TV that I returned to costco (65l9300U toshiba)

Toshiba did look better for regular cable 1080 HD streams with less pixelization this is probably due to the fancy filters/processing built into the TV. The JVC by no means looks bad, but simply more blocky on ****** compressed feeds like Comcast cable gives. Netflix on 1080 Super HD looks great and it was hard to tell the difference between the toshiba and JVC at 8 feet away.

For a 1500$ difference in price, I can say the JVC was worth the "downgrade" I didn't use the Roku stick that was included so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it works like Chromecast. I have a Roku 3 that I was using and it's got a faster snappier processor, which makes the User experience very nice.

The OSD to control settings was easy and very fast to setup, the ARC and CEC controls work perfectly as the TV would turn on and off my audio receiver. Them MHL functionality seems to work pretty well as well, and there is a very sweet display off mode which allows you to keep the TV on to play music while the actual screen is off.

I can't comment on the speakers as I was using my in ceiling 5.1 system with receiver

Pros
-Fast power on to picture display
-Fast HDMI switching
-Fast OSD and responsive OSD
-Lots of OSD options
-ARC/CEC/MHL support works great
-PQ is acceptable especially for the price
-4 HDMI ports and lots of connectivity options
-Super price
-Free Roku, virtually makes it a smart TV

Cons
-Bezel could be nicer and higher quality
-JVC name not as valued as others
-Noticeably more pixelated than the other Toshiba on lower/compressed streams

I don't feel any of the cons detract anything from the product and they are just opinions.

All is all a good bargain of a tv.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Could you post some pics?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Purchased this set at Costco for $899. So far it seems alright. Picture is accurate and bright, much more realistic than the 70 inch E series Vizio it is replacing. The only issues that I am having is that when I rsaise the brightness level passed 51 the edge of the screen seems to wash out to a greenish color. Not wild about the calibration settings I pulled from a pro review site. I will update with further experiences.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy

I've had some trouble get my Harmony 550 remote to switch inputs on this TV. It seems like there are discrete commands to switch to all inputs except for HDMI1, HDM2, and HDMI3. Instead, there is s single HDMI button that cycles between the three. This is causing the harmony remote to more often than not select the wrong HDMI input.

Anyone got a solution? I can't figure out a good way to 1) identify the discrete commands for HDM1, HDMI2, and HDMI3 (if they even exist), and 2) get those codes into my Harmony remote.

Otherwise, for $899, I'm very happy with this TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 180
This is not the old JVC, Amtran of Taiwan bought the Licensing rights to JVC and likely one can expect products similar to Vizio since Amtran manufactures over 50% of Vizio lines which may not be a bad thing if they continue their climb in PQ to value dept.

My point is that JVC may not have the standards of the past as the branding rights have been bought not necessarily earned - yet.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page