Sony reveals new S90 CURVED 4K LED-LCD TV's - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Sony reveals new S90 CURVED 4K LED-LCD TV's
HockeyoAJB's Avatar HockeyoAJB 07:52 AM 08-07-2014
Apparently, Sony is jumping onto the curved bandwagon as well. The new S90 series appears to be the equivalent of the KD 9005B series (known as the XBR-900B here in the US), but in a curved form factor rather than the wedge shape. Here's HDTVtest's take...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...1408073875.htm

Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 07:59 AM 08-07-2014
http://www.whathifi.com/news/sony-un...-curved-4k-tvs

BRAVIA S90

Screen Size: 75” (KD-75S9005B) / 65” (KD-65S9005B)

Resolution: 4K (3840x2160)

Edge-lit LED backlighting

Picture Engine: 4K X-Reality PRO

Colour: TRILUMINOS Display

Brightness & Contrast: X-tended Dynamic Range

Motionflow: Motionflow XR800Hz

Speaker System: 4.2ch Multi-angle Live Speaker with Discrete Processing

One-Flick Entertainment: Quick Start & Playback; Direct Access with new User Interface; Intuitive Control with One-Flick Remote

User Experience Social Viewing: Live Football Mode; One-touch mirroring; Photo share

3D: Active (two pairs of glasses supplied)

Skype Camera and mic: Built-in

One-Flick Remote: Included

Wireless Subwoofer: Option (SWF-BR100) or (SW-BR100B)

Hisma's Avatar Hisma 08:06 AM 08-07-2014
that looks pretty sick wall mounted. Curve is so subtle it more resembles a piece of wall art. Speakers blend really nicely too. No way it is in the same pricepoint as the 900B, but I'd rock it.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 08:11 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
that looks pretty sick wall mounted. Curve is so subtle it more resembles a piece of wall art. Speakers blend really nicely too. No way it is in the same pricepoint as the 900B, but I'd rock it.
Sony dropped the 65X900B $1,000 to $3,999. Maybe this one will sit at the prior price point of the X900B back up at $4,999.
HockeyoAJB's Avatar HockeyoAJB 08:31 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
I don't think pricing has been revealed yet, but I would expect the 65" S90 to have an identical List price to the KD 65X9005B (a.k.a. XBR-65X900B). Since the X9005B jumps from 65" to 79", the List price on the 70" S90 will likely fall somewhere between the two. Now, street price could vary well be different. I suspect that, at launch, the S90 will retail for List price or perhaps $500 to $1,500 less than list price as a "Sale" price. Meanwhile, the 9005B (900B) will probably be available for well below that.

The S90 seems to be in direct competition with Samsung's HU9000 series. So, the price can't be too far above that. It also has to be less than Sony's flagship 950B FALD series since it lacks the top-of-the line features including backlighting w/ full array local dimming, X-Tended Dynamic Range Pro (it has the non-Pro version), and it uses the lesser Motionflow XR800Hz rather than the Motionflow XR960 used in the 950B.
Wraith2's Avatar Wraith2 09:33 AM 08-07-2014
If the picture quality is equal to the 900B I'm in. But it better release soon because football is starting and I don't know how long I can hold out!
westa6969's Avatar westa6969 09:37 AM 08-07-2014
This looks awesome as I could not consider the 79" 900B with it's speaker width just made it too wide by a few inches and I just can't bring myself to go from a 65" to another 65" and that added expense - this 75" should just fit.

The curve is not as pronounced as Samsung the reviewer commented that saw a Demo. Smart of Sony to provide another tier/type for consumer choice.
CJayB's Avatar CJayB 09:54 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Apparently, Sony is jumping onto the curved bandwagon as well. The new S90 series appears to be the equivalent of the KD 9005B series (known as the XBR-900B here in the US), but in a curved form factor rather than the wedge shape. Here's HDTVtest's take...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...1408073875.htm
Sony already jumped on the curved bandwagon last year with the still available 65S990A model. The new sets appear to have the same less pronounced curve as the S990 and speakers are cut down in size.

Nice to see that Sony is extending curved sets to UHD since the HD only S990 has not been a big seller for them. The S990 has sold for as low as $2,000 on Sony's website, a hefty discount from original retail price of $5,000.
david(dallas)'s Avatar david(dallas) 09:58 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
If the picture quality is equal to the 900B I'm in. But it better release soon because football is starting and I don't know how long I can hold out!
Agree if it's the 65 900b you are taking about. I took Sony off my list because I want to go 70+ and the 79 display was disappointing with the greyish blacks.

This might put Sony back in the running except I was planning on buying in the month. I doubt this will be available on that time frame.
Wraith2's Avatar Wraith2 10:24 AM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
Agree if it's the 65 900b you are taking about. I took Sony off my list because I want to go 70+ and the 79 display was disappointing with the greyish blacks.

This might put Sony back in the running except I was planning on buying in the month. I doubt this will be available on that time frame.
Ya, my 65 900B shipped back to Sony this past Monday (arrived dented). They tell me it will take a month (shipping/credit/shipping new one) before I can expect to have the replacement in my hands. Might as well wait and turn this frustration into something positive.
Sammie2980's Avatar Sammie2980 11:01 AM 08-07-2014
That is a sexy display. Makes me wish I would of waited on pulling the trigger on the X900B lol. The smaller footprint is nice and if teh curve is subtle I wouldn't mind it being there. It sure looks a whole hell of a lot better then the X900B aesthetically.
sytech's Avatar sytech 11:08 AM 08-07-2014
Curve sets are still a total gimmick and add nothing of value, but at least the can use the curved to add better and thicker side speakers because of the increase in required depth. Still would not buy one though.
westa6969's Avatar westa6969 01:20 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Curve sets are still a total gimmick and add nothing of value, but at least the can use the curved to add better and thicker side speakers because of the increase in required depth. Still would not buy one though.
What took you so long to chime in with that original thought?

We're surrounded daily by consumer goods that have gimmicks to sell them - most spoilers on cars aren't really there for function, 90+% of AWD SUV's are NEVER used for off-road yet consumers pay the premium for it, a dozen pillows stacked on a bed are a gimmick most women seem to need and nothing but a gimmick.

Virtually every consumer good if examining it's marketing bullet points has aesthetic/design Gimmicks that often don't do jack. Some people will be as yourself may see it as silly nonsense while another consumer may look and see SEXY even if it does nothing functional as Gimmicks are mind tricks that work and are used everywhere with consumer goods.

Think of it this way, there are about eight vehicles that are derived from a standard Toyota Camry platform across both it and Lexus but visual and shape design wraps the same shell at different price points - all auto companies try to do this and they are loading with gimmicks to create different tiers and price thresholds. Just examine anything in your home and you'll see gimmicks used to help sell even a better toaster, etc., that have nothing to do with FUNCTION - in fact, there's hardly an item that doesn't have some sort of gimmick to compete and sell itself - buy the sizzle not the steak kind of way.
rlindo's Avatar rlindo 01:50 PM 08-07-2014
I see zero point to the 65" version compared to the 65" 900B. I guess for those who actually buy their TVs for what they look like it may be appealing but for those like me who don't give a crap about that it seems all you get is a slight curve and you will probably pay a decent premium for that. Sure seems the curve being so minor has zero other purpose other than asking a premium for it.

I look forward to the MSRP being released and if it costs more than the 65" 900B did/does I will laugh.

I really hope this curve TV garbage dies for next year going forward yet I doubt it will. Sigh...
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 01:50 PM 08-07-2014
Looks neat. I'm still not into the curve but this one looks a lot more subtle than the curve on the HU9000. I think it's smart to use the thicker form factor for useful speakers. Overall I think this looks like a better design than the HU9000, and if it's based on the X900B, it'll probably have a better picture, too.
fafrd's Avatar fafrd 02:08 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I see zero point to the 65" version compared to the 65" 900B. I guess for those who actually buy their TVs for what they look like it may be appealing but for those like me who don't give a crap about that it seems all you get is a slight curve and you will probably pay a decent premium for that. Sure seems the curve being so minor has zero other purpose other than asking a premium for it.

I look forward to the MSRP being released and if it costs more than the 65" 900B did/does I will laugh.

I really hope this curve TV garbage dies for next year going forward yet I doubt it will. Sigh...

If it's cheap and if it's new, I'm afraid it's here to stay. I just saw where AUO was bragging about their increased capacity to manufacture curved LCD panels.

The fact that Sony has also jumped on board feels like we are getting past the point of no return.

I'm just tweaked by the fact that it impacts viewing quality, especially off-angle.

It's also likely to be easier/more suitable to edge-lit backlights than full-array, so that is another strike against it.

When Vizio announced a curved TV, we'll know it's all over for sure :-(
Hisma's Avatar Hisma 02:21 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If it's cheap and if it's new, I'm afraid it's here to stay. I just saw where AUO was bragging about their increased capacity to manufacture curved LCD panels.

The fact that Sony has also jumped on board feels like we are getting past the point of no return.

I'm just tweaked by the fact that it impacts viewing quality, especially off-angle.

It's also likely to be easier/more suitable to edge-lit backlights than full-array, so that is another strike against it.

When Vizio announced a curved TV, we'll know it's all over for sure :-(
What about "bendable" TVs? Already available in south Korea, you can select between curved viewing, or flat viewing by the push of a button.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1408033873.htm

Here's a video showing it being switched from flat to curved -
You Tube

Skip to :30.

Maybe a bit more utility, but it's more crap to add on to the cost. We'll probably see them here in the next gen.
mo949's Avatar mo949 02:28 PM 08-07-2014
I'd take the flat FALD Vizio E series over this edgelit $$$$$ any day of the week. Of course the Sony has the advantage if having 3D capability is a must feature for anyone with 3D blurays already ---- what a hard tradeoff though to downgrade to edgelit for 3D - if only there were another way...
fafrd's Avatar fafrd 02:35 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
What about "bendable" TVs? Already available in south Korea, you can select between curved viewing, or flat viewing by the push of a button.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...1408033873.htm

Here's a video showing it being switched from flat to curved -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSF24kSwIMs

Skip to :30.

Maybe a bit more utility, but it's more crap to add on to the cost. We'll probably see them here in the next gen.

Honestly, a bendable TV makes more sense to me than a hard-curved TV. With bendable, you can adjust the amount of curve depending on the number of people watching - curve away if it is only 1 or 2 viewers in the sweetspot and keep it flat when there are others watching off-axis (or you want straight lines to look straight :-)

My biggest concern with bendable would be reliability - seems like just one more thing to break or go bad.

And in any case, I wouldn't pay any more for it, even if there were no reliability concerns.

It seems like the TV industry has become much more of a fashion industry than I ever could have imagined. Just a pity that that energy spent on fashion was not directed towards better picture quality. It's almost like the manufacturers including Samsung and Sony woke up recently and realized that customers just don't care about picture quality and they just need to have something 'new' to grab their customers attention on the showroom floor to sell more TVs...
Sammie2980's Avatar Sammie2980 04:55 PM 08-07-2014
I think it looks better just for the fact that it doesn't have the huge speakers. The curve does nothing but based just on atheistic's alone I like the look of this much better. Smaller footprint with (ideally) same performance and a curve that does nothing > larger footprint (ideally) same performance with speakers that I don't use anyways (aka does nothing).

Until its out though and performance is measured it's moot really.
david(dallas)'s Avatar david(dallas) 09:04 PM 08-07-2014
Anybody have an idea on availability date on the us? I looking to buy within the next month, would like to see this and the me flexible Sammy if they come out soon..
fatuglyguy's Avatar fatuglyguy 09:32 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
Anybody have an idea on availability date on the us? I looking to buy within the next month, would like to see this and the me flexible Sammy if they come out soon..
Says they're being shown at IFA beginning of next month, so I would assume they'll be out mid-late september. Keep in mind there's been no official announcement that these are slated for the US yet.
HockeyoAJB's Avatar HockeyoAJB 06:28 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I'd take the flat FALD Vizio E series over this edgelit $$$$$ any day of the week. Of course the Sony has the advantage if having 3D capability is a must feature for anyone with 3D blurays already ---- what a hard tradeoff though to downgrade to edgelit for 3D - if only there were another way...
There is, but it will cost you. Sony currently has the flat 4K 3D FALD X950B. And both Panasonic and Toshiba have flat 4K 3D FALD's on the way.
HockeyoAJB's Avatar HockeyoAJB 06:31 AM 08-08-2014
Scott has created a similar thread on the main page. It would probably be a good idea to move this discussion there...
Sony Curved LED-LCD UHDTV
kdog750's Avatar kdog750 08:21 AM 08-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
What took you so long to chime in with that original thought?

We're surrounded daily by consumer goods that have gimmicks to sell them - most spoilers on cars aren't really there for function, 90+% of AWD SUV's are NEVER used for off-road yet consumers pay the premium for it, a dozen pillows stacked on a bed are a gimmick most women seem to need and nothing but a gimmick.

Virtually every consumer good if examining it's marketing bullet points has aesthetic/design Gimmicks that often don't do jack. Some people will be as yourself may see it as silly nonsense while another consumer may look and see SEXY even if it does nothing functional as Gimmicks are mind tricks that work and are used everywhere with consumer goods.

Think of it this way, there are about eight vehicles that are derived from a standard Toyota Camry platform across both it and Lexus but visual and shape design wraps the same shell at different price points - all auto companies try to do this and they are loading with gimmicks to create different tiers and price thresholds. Just examine anything in your home and you'll see gimmicks used to help sell even a better toaster, etc., that have nothing to do with FUNCTION - in fact, there's hardly an item that doesn't have some sort of gimmick to compete and sell itself - buy the sizzle not the steak kind of way.
I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint. The reason some of us are resistant to this type of stuff is the industry's tendency to focus on gimmicks instead of improved PQ. A few years ago when all TV's were going to edge lit, PQ took a nose dive in favor of "thinner" and "lighter". Most of us here couldn't care less whether the TV is 2" thick or 1/2" thick. We are just interested in the best picture. I understand the industry has to follow where they can make the most money, but I for one would not care if I can voice activate my curved screen TV if it has crappy black levels, banding, and spotlighting.
lgroveman's Avatar lgroveman 10:31 AM 08-18-2014
Does anybody have the exact dimensions of the 75 inch with stand? I know the TV is not officially released in the US yet. I saw it on the Sony-Chinese site but can't read it and google translate was not any help I am working on a cabinet and figuring out whether this TV is a contender based upon it's size. Of course, It would be nice to see it first I love the sony's but wanted a 75 and was ready to buy the Samsung 75HU8550 but now I am going to wait to see if this set fits the bill.
Thanks
Up
Mobile  Desktop