70Likes

post #1 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Sony Curved LED-LCD UHDTV

The Japanese giant jumps on the curved-screen UHDTV bandwagon. Will this bend the market in the right direction?

According to a recent news item on CNET, Sony will introduce a new curved-screen LED-LCD UHDTV next month at IFA (Internationale Funkaustellung, or International Fair of Broadcasting Services) in Berlin, Germany. Available in two sizes—65 and 75 inches—the new line, dubbed S9005B, is intended for the UK market, though it will likely appear in the US with a slightly different model number. (My guess is that it will be something like S900B to correspond with the X900B flat UHDTV.) Pricing and ship dates have not been announced.

Actually, Sony was the first to market with a curved LCD TV—the KDL-65S990A—which was introduced almost a year ago at CEDIA. But unlike that set, the new line will have UHD resolution, putting it in direct competition with the Samsung HU9000 series. The CNET report quotes other sources as saying the Sony's curve is gentler than the Samsung's, and Sony claims that the curve benefits the sound quality, though it has no large speakers as there are on the X900B. Otherwise, the new sets are said to be similar to the X900B, with LED edgelighting, Triluminous (quantum-dot) technology, and active-shutter 3D.

I'm a bit surprised by Sony's move here. Were sales of the KDL-S990A strong enough to justify continuing with the curve? Are curved screens really that popular, or is Sony merely responding to the continued Korean curvature? Will other Japanese manufacturers follow suit? Has the world gone curve crazy?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+
westa6969 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Thumbs down

( curve )
Carlos_E and rcapprotti like this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-08-2014 at 02:45 AM.
post #3 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 591
I am disappointed by this entire curved business; very sad.
fafrd, videobruce, Five28 and 2 others like this.
post #4 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One of the most disgusting things in home theater today is a wall mounted one of these.
post #5 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Just following the Koreans. Sony will be out of the TV business in 2 years. Seems Japan has forgotten about true innovation and it about to join the US as the land of former TV makers.
Five28, Djoel and CinemaAndy like this.
post #6 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Regardless of how most AVS's feel about curved screens, there are a rather large number of people that will buy them and even pay a premium for them. With this model, Sony now has a curved option to put up against Samsung's HU9000. And, for those who don't want a curved TV, they still have the wedge shaped 900B. Don't like curved or the wedge and it's speakers? You can either step down to the 850B (which competes with Samsung's flat HU8550) or step up to the 950B (which has no direct competition from Samsung unless you are looking at the 85" version and are willing to spend another ~$20k for last year's S9).

To me, this was a no-brainer for Sony.
post #7 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Curved is pretty sweet if you get the right size and distance
tenthplanet likes this.
post #8 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Just following the Koreans. Sony will be out of the TV business in 2 years. Seems Japan has forgotten about true innovation and it about to join the US as the land of former TV makers.
I don't think innovation is Sony's (or most Japanese companies') problem. They develop and patent more of the technology that goes inside of these electronic devices than the South Koreans do, by far. Their problem is that they can't compete on price and still remain profitable as they were constructed going back to the 1980's. They're trying hard to restructure and return to profit, but it is a slow process with companies of this size.
post #9 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Regardless of how most AVS's feel about curved screens, there are a rather large number of people that will buy them and even pay a premium for them. With this model, Sony now has a curved option to put up against Samsung's HU9000. And, for those who don't want a curved TV, they still have the wedge shaped 900B. Don't like curved or the wedge and it's speakers? You can either step down to the 850B (which competes with Samsung's flat HU8550) or step up to the 950B (which has no direct competition from Samsung unless you are looking at the 85" version and are willing to spend another ~$20k for last year's S9).

To me, this was a no-brainer for Sony.
Excellent factual response versus critics that fear the curve like it's a virus and as if suddenly it's the ONLY choice! Horsepoohey! Come on children it's not like you have zero choices in every size that are already FLAT and likely remain FLAT.

Absolutely no one is dictating a one choice CURVE world CHILDREN. Just a childish backlash as if ISIS is storming your HT to dictate you convert to the CURVE or we chop your curved head off.

It's a faddish gimmicky choice and nothing more - some will favor and spend their money (not yours and none of your business how it's spent) the day I dip into your wallet you have a VOTE but until then you have a consumer choice in FLAT that = about 99% being FLAT panel.

Amazing how dictatorial this forum can be by so many when something different is offered - virtually every consumer item has gimmick (options) built into it but many on this forum treat it as if it's going to give them Ebola or Cancer - UTTER NONSENSE! It's just an alternate view and style and a risk with their money not yours! Perhaps we'll call for airstrikes when someone's forcing a curved panel into your HT.

The Free World is about CHOICE and I commend Sony for taking the risk to meet more than a single choice and prevent Samsung/LG from further putting them into a graveyard of static complacency as they sit on the sidelines often the past dozen years and witness Samsung stealing market share and LG now with a monopoly on OLED. Innovation/Options keeps things fresh not static SOSO business model that dies eventually.-
David Susilo and tenthplanet like this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 08-08-2014 at 07:00 AM.
post #10 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll pass on this gimmick (unless (maybe) I had it on a 100 inch screen or larger.) Consumer Reports latest review had the same feeling about the curve craze. They felt it was not emmersive in sizes smaller than 100", and "It can make for uneven brightness and a reduced viewing angle on the sides. And it eliminates the option for flush wall-mounting."
Macroblocker and rcapprotti like this.
post #11 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

The Japanese giant jumps on the curved-screen UHDTV bandwagon. Will this bend the market in the right direction?

According to a recent news item on CNET, Sony will introduce a new curved-screen LED-LCD UHDTV next month at IFA (Internationale Funkaustellung, or International Fair of Broadcasting Services) in Berlin, Germany. Available in two sizes—65 and 75 inches—the new line, dubbed S9005B, is intended for the UK market, though it will likely appear in the US with a slightly different model number. (My guess is that it will be something like S900B to correspond with the X900B flat UHDTV.) Pricing and ship dates have not been announced.

Actually, Sony was the first to market with a curved LCD TV—the KDL-65S990A—which was introduced almost a year ago at CEDIA. But unlike that set, the new line will have UHD resolution, putting it in direct competition with the Samsung HU9000 series. The CNET report quotes other sources as saying the Sony's curve is gentler than the Samsung's, and Sony claims that the curve benefits the sound quality, though it has no large speakers as there are on the X900B. Otherwise, the new sets are said to be similar to the X900B, with LED edgelighting, Triluminous (quantum-dot) technology, and active-shutter 3D.

I'm a bit surprised by Sony's move here. Were sales of the KDL-S990A strong enough to justify continuing with the curve? Are curved screens really that popular, or is Sony merely responding to the continued Korean curvature? Will other Japanese manufacturers follow suit? Has the world gone curve crazy?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
To me it's wonderful, for all the Curve TV's haters, don't complain just don't buy one.
David Susilo and tenthplanet like this.
post #12 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by notabadname View Post
I'll pass on this gimmick (unless (maybe) I had it on a 100 inch screen or larger.) Consumer Reports latest review had the same feeling about the curve craze. They felt it was not emmersive in sizes smaller than 100", and "It can make for uneven brightness and a reduced viewing angle on the sides. And it eliminates the option for flush wall-mounting."

Agreed. It adds more problems than it supposedly fixes. The curve is so slight on this one, why even bother. If they are trying to put decent speakers back in, just give us slightly thicker displays. I don't care if the new OLEDs are thinner than an Iphone. Once they are hanging on the wall or on a stand backed up to a wall, no gives a crap if it is 1/2" or 2-3" thick.
notabadname likes this.
post #13 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Sounds like you might have a problem with Koreans because your post is not supported by any financial data. FYI, LG Electronics was profitable by 203 Million dollars in 2013. This Forum is not the venue to show racial biases, it really is only a Television.
post #14 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

In TV sales Vizio will eat them.
videobruce likes this.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #15 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
In TV sales Vizio will eat them.
Not a Brand I will purchase anytime soon.

http://www.ocbj.com/news/2014/aug/07...-over-warning/
steve1971 likes this.
post #16 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Not a Brand I will purchase anytime soon.

http://www.ocbj.com/news/2014/aug/07...-over-warning/

That won't slow down or stop their sales ,The P series looks promising .Is totally unnecessary to pay more for a curve.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CES14_VIZIO_PSERIES.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	203953  

Last edited by losservatore; 08-08-2014 at 10:57 PM.
post #17 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip
"Just following the Koreans. Sony will be out of the TV business in 2 years. Seems Japan has forgotten about true innovation and it about to join the US as the land of former TV makers."

Sounds like you might have a problem with Koreans because your post is not supported by any financial data. FYI, LG Electronics was profitable by 203 Million dollars in 2013. This Forum is not the venue to show racial biases, it really is only a Television.
I think you are misreading what JWhip is saying - which is that Korea Inc. is eating Japan Inc.'s lunch when it comes to the TV business. Hard to argue with that statement.

And when it comes to curved TVs (which is the subject of this thread), it is also true that Sony is 'just following the Koreans'
post #18 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Are these to be made in Mexico as well?
Will they leave the windows open during sandstorms and fill the panels with ? that Sony 950B Owners are crying about in their Forum?
If they can't get their top of the line Flat under quality control, how is making it curved going to help?
post #19 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I think you are misreading what JWhip is saying - which is that Korea Inc. is eating Japan Inc.'s lunch when it comes to the TV business. Hard to argue with that statement.

And when it comes to curved TVs (which is the subject of this thread), it is also true that Sony is 'just following the Koreans'
Nice how you guys always defend one another. Sony was the first to sell a curved TV. It is not a ethnic thing it is a design gamble that may or not win in the end. I have heard many people comment how cool the curve is and others (on this forum mostly) do not like it.

Sony's poor quality control will do more to hurt them financially than a curve model option. The 950B is a great tv if they didn't have all those little things causing people to return $8,000 TV's at a what must be a record rate.
post #20 of 117 Old 08-08-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Pure nonsense I say.
rcapprotti likes this.
post #21 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Nice how you guys always defend one another.
Verbal gang warfare at AVS Forum.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #22 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Liked: 591
120" curved, ok, I can live with that. ...80" flat, ok, I can live with that too.
post #23 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you guys notice that the Samsung ads are promoting the curve as something desirable without stating any reasons? pretty women and men etc saying look at this, wow as if it is something one should want. Implicit that its better. Most curved things are better because they are curved. Tires, baseballs and other sport balls, even, hope I don't get banned or insult anybody, women.

When TVs first came out long ago, the picture tube was round too. I do remember. We use to say it was the best for over head shots of the center ring on a show back then called Super Circus.

I would never buy a curved set. Never. i would never buy a curved projection screen unless it was super large and I was going to use an anamorphic lens on it.
David Susilo likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-09-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #24 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 383
A very endearing posting style you have going there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Absolutely no one is dictating a one choice CURVE world CHILDREN.
It has been an enforced choice in regards to OLED. This being an Video-enthusiast site, OLED is a significant
source of excitement and anticipation, and now that it has finally become available it's ONLY been in curved versions. Which truly does suck if you desire the technical benefits of OLED but dislike a curved picture...and curved is all you get.

This forced choice (and the OLED curved TVs were the first high profile curved TVs that most people cared about)
started the hate-on for curved TVs.

Are there more choices for flat panels in the 1080p world? Sure. But most people here see a 4K TV as their next display, and in that case curved is really making quite an incursion into the available 4K sets. There may well be enough non-curved choices to satisfy those who want flat, but to the degree the TV industry sees curved as the trend, and feel they have to compete with one another, finite resources become allotted to choosing which to manufacture, which means choice for flat 4K TVs *could* be somewhat more limited by the rage for curved versions, especially if curved TVs really catch on with the public. As we know from various stories in the past, manufacturers care more about what they can sell in larger numbers to the public, vs to us enthusiasts (rip Kuro, plasma, etc). So any trends that take off with the public do impact on what we as enthusiasts will find available.

Again, we already have one instance so far of the most eagerly awaited technology, OLED, being offered only in curved form (Samsung and LG both concluding this was were to allot their OLED resources).

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Just a childish backlash as if ISIS is storming your HT to dictate you convert to the CURVE or we chop your curved head off. ....[snip]

Amazing how dictatorial this forum can be by so many when something different is offered
In the many threads I've read on curved TVs, I haven't seen any posts as hyperbolic and "dictatorial" sounding (not to mention condescending) as the one you just posted.

This is an AV-enthusiasts forum, remember? It's where people have opinions on these things because we care.
All I see anyone doing is voicing his(/her) opinion that he does not like curved TVs. Your allowed such an opinion and it doesn't make anyone a "child."

And to the degree it becomes a trend, it's just as valid to say "and I dislike the trend." Just like it's ok to have the opinion that you can dislike a clothing trend. If new 4K TVs were increasingly being made with super wide frames that lit up with bright fluorescent pink...guess what?...people would rightly be able to voice their negative opinions on that design choice...and why they think it's a poor design choice. No one is being a "dictator" when voicing their opinion, along with quite valid reasons why a curved TV would have undesirable consequences (e.g. image distortion).

Maybe it's time to chill and just accept that you are going to find people actually giving their opinions on TV technology on a technology-enthusiasts site, and that this doesn't constitute dictatorship, air strikes, or justify referring to those whom you disagree with as "children." Just a suggestion.
pheroy, fafrd and losservatore like this.

Last edited by R Harkness; 08-09-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #25 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Im guessing that this particular gimmick grinds peoples gears so much because its a gimmick thats in your face. It cant be disabled, hidden away or ignored and forgotten about. It cant even be treated as just an ugly design choice. Thankfully its not like 3d and shows up on all the nicer sets whether you want it or not, but much like 3d, it will probably be forgotten about in a couple years.
videobruce and fierce_gt like this.
post #26 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I seem to remember it has to be curved for larger OLED sets because of panel yield issues. Probably wrong though, Being wrong is indeed one of my most endearing habits, Rich.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #27 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 72
well here is the only clip i could find of it. warning its in dutch and the caption translation is very poor, but you can still see more of how the set looks.

post #28 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curve and a corner placement

My 60" Pano resides in the corner of our great room. No other place for it. The curved panel, it would seem to me, might be useful in that configuration. But will wait for prices to normalize.
post #29 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The curve is not as exaggerate as Samsung but I still prefer not to paid premium for a curve. This is just a marketing gimmick.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (357).png
Views:	745
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	205625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (358).png
Views:	737
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	205633  

Last edited by losservatore; 08-09-2014 at 04:29 PM.
post #30 of 117 Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
That won't slow down or stop their sales ,The P series looks promising .Is totally unnecessary to pay more for a curve.

I can even see Vizio selling a curved TV set...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page