Sony kdl55w700b - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony kdl55w700b

I have been to best buy several times to check out this TV, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bra...&skuId=3419028.

this TV looks amazing. Originally I didnt want a smart TV as i have the Amazon fire. However this is maybe the one tv that will allow me to reconsider that decision. I have heard great things regarding the picture as well as the input lag when gaming. With that being said, I really want a 55 in. I was looking around on the BB site and I found this TV. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...&skuId=7865123. It only has one review and I cannot find any info on it online.
i figure it will be between this the 800 series above and this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-60-...1001&cp=1&lp=3

what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm iii View Post
I have been to best buy several times to check out this TV, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bra...&skuId=3419028.

this TV looks amazing. Originally I didnt want a smart TV as i have the Amazon fire. However this is maybe the one tv that will allow me to reconsider that decision. I have heard great things regarding the picture as well as the input lag when gaming. With that being said, I really want a 55 in. I was looking around on the BB site and I found this TV. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...&skuId=7865123. It only has one review and I cannot find any info on it online.
i figure it will be between this the 800 series above and this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-60-...1001&cp=1&lp=3

what do you guys think?
I just stumbled across the W700B series in another thread here and it appears they are a fairly new model series (at least to the USA). I cannot find them on sale anywhere else outside of Best Buy and there is no information on Sony's site; I did a chat with a Customer Service representative, they had no information either. It appears they are a slightly stripped down version of the W800B, basically the W800B without the 3D capabilities.

I have been looking for a nice gaming TV as well and Sony is about as good as it gets. I am waiting to find a little bit more information on this model before I pull the trigger but it does look promising; I would also expect the price to drop some more since they are "new".
post #3 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratificulous View Post
I just stumbled across the W700B series in another thread here and it appears they are a fairly new model series (at least to the USA). I cannot find them on sale anywhere else outside of Best Buy and there is no information on Sony's site; I did a chat with a Customer Service representative, they had no information either. It appears they are a slightly stripped down version of the W800B, basically the W800B without the 3D capabilities.

I have been looking for a nice gaming TV as well and Sony is about as good as it gets. I am waiting to find a little bit more information on this model before I pull the trigger but it does look promising; I would also expect the price to drop some more since they are "new".
well if its a stripped down version of the w800b, i think i will be sold. i dont care about the 3d either, not even the smart tv functionality. i saw the thread where they mention the 700 series. i will check it out. i really think that tv will be what im looking for
post #4 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 171
This is most likely identical to the w7 series of Europe. Basically a w8 series with no 3d, and lower input lag (around 14ms). To bad Sony missed the mark with good out of the box color tracking. All the 2014 models seem to have a green push.
post #5 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
This is most likely identical to the w7 series of Europe. Basically a w8 series with no 3d, and lower input lag (around 14ms). To bad Sony missed the mark with good out of the box color tracking. All the 2014 models seem to have a green push.
OOTB color tracking is bad but is it fixable through configuration?

If it is the W700 from Europe with no 3D and low(er) input lag, I am perfectly fine with that since 75%+ of my time will be gaming.
post #6 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

what do you mean by out of the box color tracking? also green push?
post #7 of 178 Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OOTB color tracking is bad but is it fixable through configuration?

If it is the W700 from Europe with no 3D and low(er) input lag, I am perfectly fine with that since 75%+ of my time will be gaming.
Yes it is easily fixable, but still, for those who do not have color calibration tools it is an issue.
post #8 of 178 Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did any of you pull the trigger on this?
post #9 of 178 Old 08-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
I might tomorrow. I have to drive an hour to check it out. I'm looking for a gaming tv and the KDL55W700B might be the perfect tv to pair with my ps4.
post #10 of 178 Old 08-10-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
not yet. i think my best buy is getting it within a couple of weeks. cant wait to see what sale price will be
post #11 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dang, this TV is the same price as the 50inch 800b but...well you know 5 inches bigger. *UFO* could you please clarify what you meant earlier?

Regardless I may be picking this up in the next day or two as it is apparently available at my local BB and I'll let you fellas know if I do, although I'm no expert.
post #12 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM

I went to my local best buy, it was supposed to be in stock but I could not find it anywhere on the shelves. I just wanted to get a peek at it; I am fairly certain it is just the W800B without 3D.

It is basically at regular retail price at the moment, I would expect it to go on sale at some point soon. Also, I wonder if this model is exclusive to Best Buy or if other retailers will get it.
post #13 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I went to my local best buy, it was supposed to be in stock but I could not find it anywhere on the shelves. I just wanted to get a peek at it; I am fairly certain it is just the W800B without 3D.

It is basically at regular retail price at the moment, I would expect it to go on sale at some point soon. Also, I wonder if this model is exclusive to Best Buy or if other retailers will get it.
Color me intrigued at this development. I was actually quite disappointed when I heard other parts of the world had a W7xx series, which was basically the W8xx series without 3D and some motion processing options (and smart features also I believe?). If this model number boils down to the same thing, that is the picture of the W8xx without some of the (unncessary) bells and whistles, the price point is very appealing.

If anyone finds additional information, please share!!!
post #14 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Does this model have the non-VESA mounting challenges?
post #15 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Does this model have the non-VESA mounting challenges?
Chances are, yes. It will be the same headache those have experienced with the W800B's; unfortunately, there is little detail about this series (yet).
post #16 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
pulled the trigger!!

I ordered the 55 inch saturday, and it is scheduled to arrive sometime thursday. Got a pretty nice deal, only paid 899.99 but still wish i could have got it a little cheaper. As soon as i get it set up ill post some pics and give some feedback.

I was so excited when i saw it listed i just ordered it. I had been looking at the 800b for some time now but couldnt afford it. Only drawback so far is that it looks like the entire bezel is silver. Hopefully the picture is good enough to make me over look the bezel.
Gratificulous likes this.
post #17 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syde1020 View Post
I ordered the 55 inch saturday, and it is scheduled to arrive sometime thursday. Got a pretty nice deal, only paid 899.99 but still wish i could have got it a little cheaper. As soon as i get it set up ill post some pics and give some feedback.

I was so excited when i saw it listed i just ordered it. I had been looking at the 800b for some time now but couldnt afford it. Only drawback so far is that it looks like the entire bezel is silver. Hopefully the picture is good enough to make me over look the bezel.
Awesome! How did you get it for $899? The 55" is listed on the site for $999.

You should upload a PDF of the manual for us so we can look through the specifications since they are not posted anywhere online
post #18 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Awesome! How did you get it for $899? The 55" is listed on the site for $999.

You should upload a PDF of the manual for us so we can look through the specifications since they are not posted anywhere online
I had a 10 percent off coupon for bestbuy, it dropped the price down to 899.99 ill def try to get a pdf of the manual for you guys. It probably wont be till friday, ill have to use the copying machine at work.
mrwiseguy85 likes this.
post #19 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

I just set mine up, got it at BB today. I'll try to get pictures up of the manual soon. It looks gorgeous. I don't really have much expertise in this field, but I am picky when it comes to TVs and I can't find anything wrong with the picture. The viewing angle is poor but I'm not sure how it compares to the 800b. They were just setting up a display with the model in Best Buy, I got the only one they had in the back. It honestly looks like a tv that costs more than a $1000, but I am still fiddling with it. I'll try to keep you guys updated. Also I have to say I honestly prefer the silver bezel, it's not super glossy or anything though.
mrwiseguy85 likes this.
post #20 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flesh Into Gear View Post
I just set mine up, got it at BB today. I'll try to get pictures up of the manual soon. It looks gorgeous. I don't really have much expertise in this field, but I am picky when it comes to TVs and I can't find anything wrong with the picture. The viewing angle is poor but I'm not sure how it compares to the 800b. They were just setting up a display with the model in Best Buy, I got the only one they had in the back. It honestly looks like a tv that costs more than a $1000, but I am still fiddling with it. I'll try to keep you guys updated. Also I have to say I honestly prefer the silver bezel, it's not super glossy or anything though.
Right on, thanks for the update!

A manual would be super, no idea why there is nothing on Sony's site for this model. It is what I am looking for if it meets the W700 specifications in Europe or even the W800 specs here in the States (sans 3D).
post #21 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You are a gentleman and a saint! Looking forward to getting a report when you have some time to enjoy your new TV.

For reference on the viewing angle, the W800b doesn't excel in that area either (22° per rtings.com):

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony/w800b

Its likely that The W700 is using a similar panel (VA I think?) so its assumed probably a similar type of viewing angle detriment.

When you get it setup and have some time with it, I'd be curious what motion options are available. The EU W700b was a stepdown from the W800b and I believe did not feature 3D and had limited motion correction options. Really curious what nuances are between the US variants...
post #22 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM

I wont be using the smart tv features at all. Although I have to say the menus are sleek. There is no 3D, but there is motionpulse still.

Here's some terrible pictures i took of the specifications part of the manual!.

I used my girlfriends smartphone, sorry they are upside down. Yes, I still use a old school flip phone.

edit: does anyone happen to know whats included in the Best Buy Playstation Bundle that you apparently get if you purchase a 2014 Sony TV? There is a code to redeem online in the Playstation Store on my receipt that is supposedly worth $200. I am getting a PS4 very soon and don't want to redeem it on my PS3 if that means getting locked in to only being able to download PS3 titles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10565173_4565199225340_367256328473707381_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	208057   Click image for larger version

Name:	10609441_4565199385344_467782738231472957_n.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	208065  
Gratificulous and mrwiseguy85 like this.

Last edited by Flesh Into Gear; 08-11-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #23 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I wont be using the smart tv features at all. Although I have to say the menus are sleek. There is no 3D, but there is motionpulse still.

I used my girlfriends smartphone, sorry they are upside down. Yes, I still use a old school flip phone.

edit: does anyone happen to know whats included in the Best Buy Playstation Bundle that you apparently get if you purchase a 2014 Sony TV? There is a code to redeem online in the Playstation Store on my receipt that is supposedly worth $200. I am getting a PS4 very soon and don't want to redeem it on my PS3 if that means getting locked in to only being able to download PS3 titles.
I believe this is the deal you are referring to: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/fou...at338600050026

Four free games when you buy a select TV and a PS4 (it probably has to be on the same receipt).
post #24 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM

I also purchased one today. I set it up with just the PS4 attached this morning. I played some Battlefield 4 and Resogun and both games looked great with the Game mode enabled (no motion blur and seemingly low lag (I didn't die more than usual anyway)). I messed around with the settings and used one of the 800 settings from that thread. I need to play around with the picture (actually use sharpness maybe) some more because it seems a touch blurry. I am only sitting 6' away though.

It's hard since I am comparing it to my Panasonic 42" plasma upstairs. So not only have I switched over to LCD, I've also increased the size dramatically. Regardless, I am happy so far.

I will play with it a bunch tomorrow and see if I can get the picture dialed in a bit more and I'll post more impressions (at least from a gamer's perspective).
mrwiseguy85 likes this.
post #25 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
I also purchased one today. I set it up with just the PS4 attached this morning. I played some Battlefield 4 and Resogun and both games looked great with the Game mode enabled (no motion blur and seemingly low lag (I didn't die more than usual anyway)). I messed around with the settings and used one of the 800 settings from that thread. I need to play around with the picture (actually use sharpness maybe) some more because it seems a touch blurry. I am only sitting 6' away though.

It's hard since I am comparing it to my Panasonic 42" plasma upstairs. So not only have I switched over to LCD, I've also increased the size dramatically. Regardless, I am happy so far.

I will play with it a bunch tomorrow and see if I can get the picture dialed in a bit more and I'll post more impressions (at least from a gamer's perspective).
I am looking to connect this to a PS4 as well. Do you feel game mode decreases the quality? Have you turned on Impulse mode? If you are using Impulse, does it change the quality/brightness drastically?
post #26 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am looking to connect this to a PS4 as well. Do you feel game mode decreases the quality? Have you turned on Impulse mode? If you are using Impulse, does it change the quality/brightness drastically?
Sony currently has the "secret sauce" when it comes to game mode. It does not look any different than its other modes (cinema, vivid, ect). It just locks certain options out and speeds up the processing. You can set up a perfectly calibrated picture in game mode, that will look just as good as its other modes. Impulse mode does darken the picture a lot but you do get full HD motion resolution.
post #27 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I've only played with game mode on and haven't messed with Impulse mode at all. I'm the worst guinea pig ever.

I'll play around more tomorrow.
post #28 of 178 Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
I've only played with game mode on and haven't messed with Impulse mode at all. I'm the worst guinea pig ever.

I'll play around more tomorrow.
You can tell there is some rabid appetite for info on this set, haha. Please do play with your new toy and enjoy it - any impressions you have are obviously going to be appreciated, but only at your convenience. Don't let us delay your fun!!!

Hopefully we'll get some official information on the model as well (from Sony or CNET or other review sites).
post #29 of 178 Old 08-12-2014, 07:05 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

You guys in the US are lucky,

The 55" w700b and the playstation bundle are not available in Canada

I'm about to buy a sony tv with a ps4.

Might wait and see if both will be available here..
post #30 of 178 Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiseguy85 View Post
You can tell there is some rabid appetite for info on this set, haha. Please do play with your new toy and enjoy it - any impressions you have are obviously going to be appreciated, but only at your convenience. Don't let us delay your fun!!!

Hopefully we'll get some official information on the model as well (from Sony or CNET or other review sites).
I just want a little bit of information somewhere, even on Sony's site before I pull the trigger

Mine is pretty much for PS4 gaming, I am sure it is a great set considering the W600B and W800B are very good gaming displays.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page