Samsung HU 8700 4K for Panoramic Multimedia Display? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung HU 8700 4K for Panoramic Multimedia Display?

Hello everyone.

I am using a Lenovo T430s laptop with an upgraded NVIDA graphics option and docking station to use multiple monitors.

My standard set up is 3 external monitors, where (using DisplayPort and VGA) the docking station can create a continuous display of 3 external monitors at 1080p resolution.

Using only 2 external monitors, the laptop and dock can output 2560 x 1440, so I wondered if 2 bigger, 28 or 30" monitors at 2560 x 1440 might be better than 3, 23" at only 1080.

So I purchased 2 Samsung 28 inch 4K monitors. I was able to get them both to run from the dock, at 2560 x 1440, where for Windows, everything including text and photos etc looked noticably better.

However, I did not like the bezels, the matte screens, and wondered if even BIGGER might be better.

So now, I am trying one, single Samsung HU8700 4K curved display 55" and sitting closely, where with success, I thought I might try a pair of 55s.

The dock does not have HDMI, only DisplayPort and DVI, so I am using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor.

I am getting a picture, however, I am only able to choose 1920 x 1080 as the resolution and everything on Windows looks pretty bad: text is fuzzy, icons too big and fuzzy, photos not displaying properly etc.

Cable TV looks OK - not great - and Netflix so far (albeit with an old movie) looks horrible.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, greatly appreciated. If I can get my PC to look good on this big screen will be very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-09-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to everyone who has looked so far.

In my excitement to see 2560 x 1440 in 55 inches of curved screen, I seem to have missed this, from the vendor where I bought the adapters:

Rating: (10 out of 10)Reviewer: Anonymous from Falls Church, VA
6/18/2014 4:11:12 PM
Note it does not go to 1600pPros: Does what it needs to. I had a Displayport output of a laptop and I tried hooking it up to a 2560 x 1600 monitor. Bought a high speed HDMI cable to try to increase my chances of success.

Cons: The product works as intended, but I've read in the spec that you're only going to get 1080 (or maybe 1260) out of this converter.

This is so annoying to me and guess I will be returning the Samsung screen today, unless there is some way to pass or convert high resolution from DisplayPort outputs on the dock to the HDMI inputs of the TV?

My sense is that between HDMI royalties and 4K televisions being designed more for ease of connection by housewives, they sure don't make it easy to extract the performance for which it was designed.....
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - T430s by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page