New Member, long time lurker. A few questions. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Member, long time lurker. A few questions.

Hello ladies and gentleman. I'm Dave. I figured I'd join the forum since I've been using this forums advice for awhile now. I had a few questions for TV shoppers.

I recently bought a new Vizio 55" M-Series TV. I bought it from Best Buy. It'll be delivered later this week so I can give my impressions on it, but I had a question about Best Buy itself. While I was there, the two salesmen in the TV section were rude when I told them I wanted to buy a Vizio TV over the Samsung competitor (H6350). I went in there to see if they had any impartial advice as to which one they would pick, and both salesmen basically said "Vizio E-Series is crap, and the M-Series is only 'Good for the money' when compared to the Samsungs". From reading elsewhere on the internet and from personal experience looking at the TV's in many different stores, I don't agree at all. I even mentioned the article on here recently about the Vizio demo of M-Series vs H7150, and they both laughed at me saying there's no way that's possible. Is it normal for the Best Buy salesmen to be so rude and biased? Why does everyone I talk to at Best Buy seem to think Samsung is the end-all TV brand?

Other than that, looking forward to contributing to the home theater section here. I'm a bit of an audiophile, been playing violin for 20+ years and my ears are a bit sensitive. Currently researching a 5.1 system. I'll be here and there.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Liked: 15
I work at the home theater department at Best Buy. Most sales people in the department do not know a lot about picture quality and favor more well known brand names because they're A) easier to sell to the layman and B) are generally more expensive and boost their sales goals.

Last edited by rich7sena; 08-10-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7sena View Post
I work at the home theater department at Best Buy. Most sales people in the department do not know a lot about picture quality and favor more well known brand names because they're A) easier to sell to the layman and B) are generally more expensive and boost their revenue per hour goals.

Thanks for that honest answer to the OPs question: basic upselling and increased sales commissions.
post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidebardave89 View Post
Hello ladies and gentleman. I'm Dave. I figured I'd join the forum since I've been using this forums advice for awhile now. I had a few questions for TV shoppers.

I recently bought a new Vizio 55" M-Series TV. I bought it from Best Buy. It'll be delivered later this week so I can give my impressions on it, but I had a question about Best Buy itself. While I was there, the two salesmen in the TV section were rude when I told them I wanted to buy a Vizio TV over the Samsung competitor (H6350). I went in there to see if they had any impartial advice as to which one they would pick, and both salesmen basically said "Vizio E-Series is crap, and the M-Series is only 'Good for the money' when compared to the Samsungs". From reading elsewhere on the internet and from personal experience looking at the TV's in many different stores, I don't agree at all. I even mentioned the article on here recently about the Vizio demo of M-Series vs H7150, and they both laughed at me saying there's no way that's possible. Is it normal for the Best Buy salesmen to be so rude and biased? Why does everyone I talk to at Best Buy seem to think Samsung is the end-all TV brand?

Other than that, looking forward to contributing to the home theater section here. I'm a bit of an audiophile, been playing violin for 20+ years and my ears are a bit sensitive. Currently researching a 5.1 system. I'll be here and there.

Thanks guys.
I welcome you to our community!
You will get the same thing from some other brick and mortar retailers as well. Vizio was always seen as a " throw away" or wal-mart brand TV. I remember buying my first Samsung in 97-98' and was told much the same thing about them. It used to be that Best buy and Nebraska furniture mart would not carry them simply because it was difficult to service them locally due to outsourcing so much of the manufacturing.
Samsung is a powerhouse in the industry controlling nearly 30% of the market. If you look around your local Best buy you'll also notice Samsung owns a lot of floor space with two dedicated areas. I am not saying they haven't earned it,they make a fantastic product.
I have worked for best buy and can tell manufacturers spend a lot of money to buy floor space and have employees promote a product. As a customer service rep it's your job to help the consumer make the right choice,without tearing down other products.
We are all fans of home theater and some flock to certain manufacturers, but we can generally give impartial advice.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I'm biased against Vizio so let's put that first. I've had Sony, LG (current tv), Samsung (current tv's for our kids), and Vizio. In my experience, Vizio sells good tv's for less because they just don't have the consistent quality of support and components. They may be the #1 tv seller but that doesn't take into consideration the return numbers. All tv mfrs have bad tv's from time to time. It's the nature of the business. And there are folks who will swear by their Vizios, which is great. But in my experience, Vizio would be my last choice. The E- series may be good, but there is a current recall on the on smaller panel versions (less than 42"?) because of a default with the stand. I wouldn't say that Samsung is the best tv around but they are certainly better, overall, than a Vizio, imo.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Thanks for that honest answer to the OPs question: basic upselling and increased sales commissions.
Well, not exactly. No one at Best Buy currently works under commission (nor are we taught to sell one brand over another). We all are supposed to hit certain sales targets, but we don't directly make money off any specifically sale or by selling one brand over another. It's more of an up-selling tactic as in: "why get a Honda when you can have a Mercedes." There are also sales personnel dedicated to certain brand centers around the store.

That said, management does not encourage one brand over another. It is up to the employee to determine how much they want to know about a given product.

Last edited by rich7sena; 08-10-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, not exactly. No one at Best Buy currently works under commission (nor are we taught to sell one brand over another). We all are supposed to hit certain sales targets, but we don't directly make money off any specifically sale or by selling one brand over another. It's more of an up-selling tactic as in: "why get a Honda when you can have a Mercedes."

There are also sales personnel dedicated to certain brand centers around the store.

Yeah, you had said that, but it ends up being the same thing as a pseudo-commission in my view:

You mentioned 'revenue per hour goals' which means the more revenue you generate per hour, the more you get paid - selling more expensive TVs earns you more income, so while it may not be a Samsung-specific sales commission, it is a commission system that incentivizes upselling.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I welcome you to our community!
You will get the same thing from some other brick and mortar retailers as well. Vizio was always seen as a " throw away" or wal-mart brand TV. I remember buying my first Samsung in 97-98' and was told much the same thing about them. It used to be that Best buy and Nebraska furniture mart would not carry them simply because it was difficult to service them locally due to outsourcing so much of the manufacturing.
Samsung is a powerhouse in the industry controlling nearly 30% of the market. If you look around your local Best buy you'll also notice Samsung owns a lot of floor space with two dedicated areas. I am not saying they haven't earned it,they make a fantastic product.
I have worked for best buy and can tell manufacturers spend a lot of money to buy floor space and have employees promote a product. As a customer service rep it's your job to help the consumer make the right choice,without tearing down other products.
We are all fans of home theater and some flock to certain manufacturers, but we can generally give impartial advice.

And that floor space marketing spend is precisely what translates into higher prices for equivalent products when comparing Samsung and Vizio (in addition to Korean-centric versus China-centric manufacturing).
post #9 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Well, not exactly. No one at Best Buy currently works under commission (nor are we taught to sell one brand over another). We all are supposed to hit certain sales targets, but we don't directly make money off any specifically sale or by selling one brand over another. It's more of an up-selling tactic as in: "why get a Honda when you can have a Mercedes."

There are also sales personnel dedicated to certain brand centers around the store.
Agreed! Micro center is wages+commission and Nebrasksa furniture mart is strictly commission, but Sony is strictly numbers with supplemental wage. If you have worked retail in the last ten years there are a lot of sales requirements expected of employee's.
You certainly pay a premium for Sony,Samsung and Sharp,but Vizio offering like featured product for bargain basement has shaken the industry a bit. All the main manufacturers are now trying to offer lower price better value for there product quickly closing the gap between them and the Vizio's of the world.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you had said that, but it ends up being the same thing as a pseudo-commission in my view:

You mentioned 'revenue per hour goals' which means the more revenue you generate per hour, the more you get paid - selling more expensive TVs earns you more income, so while it may not be a Samsung-specific sales commission, it is a commission system that incentivizes upselling.
I suppose it's a very indirect way of commission based sales (as there is no direct monetary incentive), but I don't think it's any different than any other retail business is run. First and foremost though, every employee is taught to consider the customers needs as the most important tool for recommending product. That said, product knowledge is not uniform and not always impartial (which is the issue presented in the opening post).
post #11 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
Agreed! Micro center is wages+commission and Nebrasksa furniture mart is strictly commission, but Sony is strictly numbers with supplemental wage. If you have worked retail in the last ten years there are a lot of sales requirements expected of employee's.
You certainly pay a premium for Sony,Samsung and Sharp,but Vizio offering like featured product for bargain basement has shaken the industry a bit. All the main manufacturers are now trying to offer lower price better value for there product quickly closing the gap between them and the Vizio's of the world.

Completely agree (and from this, we all benefit :-). Bigger and higher quality TVs (including FALD) have gotten less expensive more rapidly than anyone had expected...
post #12 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I had figured what you guys are saying is the case, but the lack of information provided on the vizios comparatively was surprising. I too remember when Vizio was a walmart brand. The very first TV I bought in college was a 32" Vizio 720p. At the time it was $400, and I remember thinking that it was specifically a "Walmart" brand or a rebranding of a nicer tv. That being said, the first TV I bought lasted me 6 years until I sold it, and as far as I'm aware the buddy of mine I sold it to still uses it today.

I just started purchasing furniture for my first real apartment of my own, and so in my research I was astonished at the premiums people will pay for "higher-end" TVs. This isn't to say that the picture quality isn't worth the price, but it did shock me when I saw how expensive these nice TVs were. So in that way I totally advocate what Vizio is doing, "stirring the pot" on quality TVs at a more consumer friendly price.

The floor space comment is totally true, there were 3 or 4 sections of TVs, and in each one of those sections a Samsung 4k tv was conveniently placed so a person couldn't help but notice....

I had been under the impression, at least from my recent experience, that Best Buy employees were making commission as well, and it surprises me to hear they don't with as hard as the two guys pushed the more expensive Samsung selections.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I had figured what you guys are saying is the case, but the lack of information provided on the vizios comparatively was surprising. I too remember when Vizio was a walmart brand. The very first TV I bought in college was a 32" Vizio 720p. At the time it was $400, and I remember thinking that it was specifically a "Walmart" brand or a rebranding of a nicer tv. That being said, the first TV I bought lasted me 6 years until I sold it, and as far as I'm aware the buddy of mine I sold it to still uses it today.

I just started purchasing furniture for my first real apartment of my own, and so in my research I was astonished at the premiums people will pay for "higher-end" TVs. This isn't to say that the picture quality isn't worth the price, but it did shock me when I saw how expensive these nice TVs were. So in that way I totally advocate what Vizio is doing, "stirring the pot" on quality TVs at a more consumer friendly price.

The floor space comment is totally true, there were 3 or 4 sections of TVs, and in each one of those sections a Samsung 4k tv was conveniently placed so a person couldn't help but notice....

I had been under the impression, at least from my recent experience, that Best Buy employees were making commission as well, and it surprises me to hear they don't with as hard as the two guys pushed the more expensive Samsung selections.

If there is a Costco near where you live and you are a member or you know someone who is, you might want to make a visit there.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-11-2014, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If there is a Costco near where you live and you are a member or you know someone who is, you might want to make a visit there.
Any reason in particular why? Never been to a Costco. Closest one is over an hour away, but I don't mind driving if it's worth it.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any reason in particular why? Never been to a Costco. Closest one is over an hour away, but I don't mind driving if it's worth it.

You need a membership to get in, but in my experience checking out TVs at both Best Buy and Costco, while Best Buy is better for seeing the 'latest and greatest' in the premium/flagship category, Costco gives a much better view of the mainstream TV market and the most attractive options for the value shopper. And Walmart and Target seem to be a further step down to the bargain basement tier of the market. Never been to a Sam's Club but from what others have said, it seems to be another mainstream/value channel like Costco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page