Official 2014 Vizio M702i-B3 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #31 of 305 Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Member
 
dtokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
so this is not P702ui-B3 is a 70 inch 4K LED TV, we are discussing here, right?
Correct. This is for the M series model.
dtokarz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 305 Old 08-20-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
so this is not P702ui-B3 is a 70 inch 4K LED TV, we are discussing here, right?
P Series thread
Keenan is online now  
post #33 of 305 Old 08-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It's here!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqhjbhcmo...2013.49.32.jpg

Costco white glove delivery for $35, came via Ceva Logistics. The guys were very nice and professional, carried it downstairs, unpacked it, set it all up, hung out while I hooked up my Blu Ray player and checked for any major problems like dead pixels.

Did some quick calibrations with the WOW disc...didn't have to do a ton, actually, with stuff like brightness and contrast (starting with the "Calibrated" preset), it was pretty close. The reds are too hot though, so I'm going to have to go through the advanced calibration on the disc later to see if I can get it more to my liking. Aside from that nitpick, I'm very impressed with it out of the box.

Watching the first few Experience clips (mostly from Toy Story movies) I did notice a bit of "tearing" (not sure if that's the right term) during quick pans, mostly -- like parts of the image would briefly become disconnected from another part and then jump to catch up. I'm playing around with the motion smoothing settings. What has everyone found to be good? I'm mostly going to use this for watching football and watching Blu Ray movies.

Am working on wall-mounting it in my 95% finished basement tonight.
rogersmj is offline  
post #34 of 305 Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Pics in its new home attached (ignore the unfinished walnut benchtop below it, still working on that).

I had a weird problem where my Blu-Ray player stopped working on HDMI 1. It would show the boot screen, but then nothing else. Switching to HDMI2 worked. However, I had done my calibrations earlier on HDMI1, and couldn't find the "custom 1" setting to pull up on any other input -- HDMI2, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Can anyone shed any light on this? I haven't had a ton of time to dive into it yet.

We spent some time watching stuff from Amazon Prime and Netflix for a couple hours last night. The picture quality was great (I plugged into Ethernet for streaming), although apparently I need to spent a bit of time calibrating those inputs too because the blacks were a little crushed.

(Edited and attached the photos instead of doing Dropbox links)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-21 19.27.07.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	224913   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-21 19.27.17.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	224921  
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Last edited by rogersmj; 08-22-2014 at 07:10 PM.
rogersmj is offline  
post #35 of 305 Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Member
 
Schroeder0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Pics in its new home (ignore the unfinished walnut benchtop below it, still working on that).





I had a weird problem where my Blu-Ray player stopped working on HDMI 1. It would show the boot screen, but then nothing else. Switching to HDMI2 worked. However, I had done my calibrations earlier on HDMI1, and couldn't find the "custom 1" setting to pull up on any other input -- HDMI2, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Can anyone shed any light on this? I haven't had a ton of time to dive into it yet.

We spent some time watching stuff from Amazon Prime and Netflix for a couple hours last night. The picture quality was great (I plugged into Ethernet for streaming), although apparently I need to spent a bit of time calibrating those inputs too because the blacks were a little crushed.
Your pictures are showing up as dead links. Any chance you could repost? I am very anxious to see some pics of this TV in its "home." I promise to ignore the unfinished walnut .
Schroeder0905 is offline  
post #36 of 305 Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder0905 View Post
Your pictures are showing up as dead links. Any chance you could repost? I am very anxious to see some pics of this TV in its "home." I promise to ignore the unfinished walnut .
Edited and attached the pics -- I had hotlinked to DropBox photos, which I could see (so thanks for telling me, because it looked fine to me) but I guess they don't like that, even though I had shared the images
rogersmj is offline  
post #37 of 305 Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Further impressions this evening: really impressive blacks. After running through the advanced calibrations on WOW, I bumped up the brightness just a hair because I was starting to lose just a bit of detail in them, but now it's pretty good. Watching letterboxed Blu-Rays, you can't see where the black bars are at all when the edges of the picture are also black. Everything is crisp and defined. Even my wife, who really doesn't get into this stuff, took one look at it and said "wow, that's *really*...sharp or something."

So I'm happy, and this is coming from a guy who's only ever bought plasmas. The ever so slight motion artifacts you get under certain circumstances haven't bothered me much at all, and I was pretty worried about those going in. The real test will be football once I get cable hooked up on this thing.

I've got Black Detail on Low, but I haven't really played around with that much at all. It seems that if you change that, you need to recalibrate. I might do a separate calibration profile with it off and see how things look. Again, I'm just doing the WOW Advanced calibrations, nothing really fancy.

I have smooth motion effect on low, that seems to be the best setting for me so far.

Motion Blur Reduction I have set to off.

I watched the first hour or so of the Avengers via the Netflix app this evening while I was prepping some speaker cables, and it looked amazing -- no artifacts at all that I could see. My 50 Mbps internet helps, I'm sure, but I wasn't expecting internet video to look so good. Both the Netflix and Amazon apps on this TV (the only two I've used) are great, and I don't feel the need to hook up any of my set tops (I have a Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV), except maybe the Apple TV so I can do AirPlay from our iDevices. The one disappointment so far was that the Amazon app didn't let me use the keyboard on the Vizio remote -- I had to sign in old-school with the d-pad. Lame.

I'm still having that issue where my LG Blu-Ray refuses to work on input 1. But I haven't had a chance to hook anything else up yet to troubleshoot. I plan on getting the receiver hooked in along with another source this weekend.
rogersmj is offline  
post #38 of 305 Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Schroeder0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Further impressions this evening: really impressive blacks. After running through the advanced calibrations on WOW, I bumped up the brightness just a hair because I was starting to lose just a bit of detail in them, but now it's pretty good. Watching letterboxed Blu-Rays, you can't see where the black bars are at all when the edges of the picture are also black. Everything is crisp and defined. Even my wife, who really doesn't get into this stuff, took one look at it and said "wow, that's *really*...sharp or something."

So I'm happy, and this is coming from a guy who's only ever bought plasmas. The ever so slight motion artifacts you get under certain circumstances haven't bothered me much at all, and I was pretty worried about those going in. The real test will be football once I get cable hooked up on this thing.

I've got Black Detail on Low, but I haven't really played around with that much at all. It seems that if you change that, you need to recalibrate. I might do a separate calibration profile with it off and see how things look. Again, I'm just doing the WOW Advanced calibrations, nothing really fancy.

I have smooth motion effect on low, that seems to be the best setting for me so far.

Motion Blur Reduction I have set to off.

I watched the first hour or so of the Avengers via the Netflix app this evening while I was prepping some speaker cables, and it looked amazing -- no artifacts at all that I could see. My 50 Mbps internet helps, I'm sure, but I wasn't expecting internet video to look so good. Both the Netflix and Amazon apps on this TV (the only two I've used) are great, and I don't feel the need to hook up any of my set tops (I have a Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV), except maybe the Apple TV so I can do AirPlay from our iDevices. The one disappointment so far was that the Amazon app didn't let me use the keyboard on the Vizio remote -- I had to sign in old-school with the d-pad. Lame.

I'm still having that issue where my LG Blu-Ray refuses to work on input 1. But I haven't had a chance to hook anything else up yet to troubleshoot. I plan on getting the receiver hooked in along with another source this weekend.

Thanks for sharing and for updating your links. I'll be sure to post some of my own pictures when I take the plunge.
Schroeder0905 is offline  
post #39 of 305 Old 08-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Well, I took the plunge and just ordered the M702i-B3 to replace my 2008ish, 52" Samsung LCD (not LED lit). Should be a pretty significant upgrade. Thanks to all who have posted impressions. My set should arrive on Wednesday and I will make sure to post photos/impressions once I get it all setup.

BTW - Any input lag data on these sets yet? I am using it for NetFlix streaming (from my PS4), blu rays and video games. Essentially the only source of input will be my PS4 so I am wondering if I don't use game mode, will I be ok with games or will the lag be noticeable? I never notice lag on my old Samsung and there's no specific game mode. Not sure game mode is going to be the all around best PQ.

One more question: Does this TV do 1:1 pixel mode? As in, ZERO overscan when set to "normal"?

Holy crap am I excited for the Godzilla 2014 blu ray on Sept. 16th.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by AVatoms; 08-23-2014 at 01:49 PM.
AVatoms is offline  
post #40 of 305 Old 08-23-2014, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jfischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post

BTW - Any input lag data on these sets yet? I am using it for NetFlix streaming (from my PS4), blu rays and video games. Essentially the only source of input will be my PS4 so I am wondering if I don't use game mode, will I be ok with games or will the lag be noticeable? I never notice lag on my old Samsung and there's no specific game mode. Not sure game mode is going to be the all around best PQ.

One more question: Does this TV do 1:1 pixel mode? As in, ZERO overscan when set to "normal"?


Thanks guys!
I've put up the calibration patterns that show where the edge of the screen should be with no overscan, and it looks spot-on to me. I've been playing Wolfenstein and lately Diablo 3 on the PS4, haven't noticed any lag issues in the normal modes. I'm also old so my reflexes may not be fast enough to discern small amount of lag anyway :-) Diablo 3 looks sweet on this TV, I'm having a blast playing it all over again.

I think you'll like it.
jfischer is offline  
post #41 of 305 Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
I've put up the calibration patterns that show where the edge of the screen should be with no overscan, and it looks spot-on to me. I've been playing Wolfenstein and lately Diablo 3 on the PS4, haven't noticed any lag issues in the normal modes. I'm also old so my reflexes may not be fast enough to discern small amount of lag anyway :-) Diablo 3 looks sweet on this TV, I'm having a blast playing it all over again.

I think you'll like it.
I'm no spring chicken myself (42), so maybe I won't notice either!

Thanks! I am pretty jazzed for this TV. 70" is a huge step up from 52" and with a 10 foot viewing distance, I am expecting to be wowed!
AVatoms is offline  
post #42 of 305 Old 08-23-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Further impressions this evening: really impressive blacks. After running through the advanced calibrations on WOW, I bumped up the brightness just a hair because I was starting to lose just a bit of detail in them, but now it's pretty good. Watching letterboxed Blu-Rays, you can't see where the black bars are at all when the edges of the picture are also black. Everything is crisp and defined. Even my wife, who really doesn't get into this stuff, took one look at it and said "wow, that's *really*...sharp or something."

So I'm happy, and this is coming from a guy who's only ever bought plasmas. The ever so slight motion artifacts you get under certain circumstances haven't bothered me much at all, and I was pretty worried about those going in. The real test will be football once I get cable hooked up on this thing.

I've got Black Detail on Low, but I haven't really played around with that much at all. It seems that if you change that, you need to recalibrate. I might do a separate calibration profile with it off and see how things look. Again, I'm just doing the WOW Advanced calibrations, nothing really fancy.

I have smooth motion effect on low, that seems to be the best setting for me so far.

Motion Blur Reduction I have set to off.

I watched the first hour or so of the Avengers via the Netflix app this evening while I was prepping some speaker cables, and it looked amazing -- no artifacts at all that I could see. My 50 Mbps internet helps, I'm sure, but I wasn't expecting internet video to look so good. Both the Netflix and Amazon apps on this TV (the only two I've used) are great, and I don't feel the need to hook up any of my set tops (I have a Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV), except maybe the Apple TV so I can do AirPlay from our iDevices. The one disappointment so far was that the Amazon app didn't let me use the keyboard on the Vizio remote -- I had to sign in old-school with the d-pad. Lame.

I'm still having that issue where my LG Blu-Ray refuses to work on input 1. But I haven't had a chance to hook anything else up yet to troubleshoot. I plan on getting the receiver hooked in along with another source this weekend.

Thanks for the impressions, Rogersmj.

Coming from plasma, it's 'impressive' that you find the blacks on the M702i-B3 impressive. Any signs of bloom/halo in the content you have watched?

Also, if you are used the off-angle viewing performance of plasma, any comments of how far off angle you can view your M702i-B3 before there is noticeable color shift (or bloom/halo) and you consider the picture quality noticeably degraded would be appreciated.

And a last question for the Vizio M community at large - is thee any consensus as to whether the 70" (Sharp) or the 65" (AUO) M Series panel is superior as far as picture quality is concerned? The 70" has 36 LDZs compared to the 32 LDZs on the 65".

I planning to wait for the Vizio P Series and Reference Series (hopefully) to materialize, as well as the LG 65EC9700 OLED, but tucking into a 65" or 70" M Series for another couple years while the dust settles on LG OLEDs and Vizio fleshes out their Reference Series with additional sizes is another option I am considering...
fafrd is offline  
post #43 of 305 Old 08-24-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jfischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Still can't get my Harmony One to turn off this TV. If I go into the Device page and touch the "Power Off" button it works fine. But when I use the main Power Off on the remote, it won't shut it off. Everything else shuts down but the TV.

I absolutely hate the new Logitech software, it's so brain dead. Can't rearrange activities, can't change the order of the LCD buttons in a device. I swear when I first got this thing that there was a Windows app that you could use to program it that didn't have all the limitations of the current software. Am I on crack, or was there a more full-featured version previously?
jfischer is offline  
post #44 of 305 Old 08-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Coming from plasma, it's 'impressive' that you find the blacks on the M702i-B3 impressive. Any signs of bloom/halo in the content you have watched?

Also, if you are used the off-angle viewing performance of plasma, any comments of how far off angle you can view your M702i-B3 before there is noticeable color shift (or bloom/halo) and you consider the picture quality noticeably degraded would be appreciated.
I don't see any halo. Credits of course are a good test for this, as are white-on-black logos...several of my Blu-Rays, while loading, have a small white version of the Universal logo in the center of a black screen, and it's crisp and well defined without any bloom/halo.

Off angle viewing is certainly one of the weaker points, and is probably what I would put as the biggest negative. My sectional sofa is about 13 feet from the TV, on the far side of the room, and sitting anywhere on the approximately 12 foot wide sectional yields a great picture (let's call this plus and minus 6 feet off a 0-axis drawn out from the center of the TV). Step over to the side, where the bar is at about plus 8-10 feet, and you start to notice color shift -- so if we all remember our trigonometry that's about 32-37 degrees off center. It's not really bad at that point though. Seems to shift a more lot by the time you're closer to 45-50 degrees off center.
rogersmj is offline  
post #45 of 305 Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
I don't see any halo. Credits of course are a good test for this, as are white-on-black logos...several of my Blu-Rays, while loading, have a small white version of the Universal logo in the center of a black screen, and it's crisp and well defined without any bloom/halo.

Off angle viewing is certainly one of the weaker points, and is probably what I would put as the biggest negative. My sectional sofa is about 13 feet from the TV, on the far side of the room, and sitting anywhere on the approximately 12 foot wide sectional yields a great picture (let's call this plus and minus 6 feet off a 0-axis drawn out from the center of the TV). Step over to the side, where the bar is at about plus 8-10 feet, and you start to notice color shift -- so if we all remember our trigonometry that's about 32-37 degrees off center. It's not really bad at that point though. Seems to shift a more lot by the time you're closer to 45-50 degrees off center.

Thanks for the feedback. And 30 degrees is all I need. My viewing situation sounds pretty similar to yours and as long as everyone within a 10-foot span sitting 13 feet back gets a good image without much color shift or more noticeable bloom/halo, I am good to go.


I currently by the LG OLED I just experienced at Best Buy and will wait to see the 4K OLEDs LG is launching soon. But if OLED looks like it needs another generation of two of baking before being ready for primetime, the M or the P from Vizio sounds like it would make a fine placeholder for a year or two. And if the 65" R Series materializes before the end of the year and is priced at around half of the 65" OLED from LG (as it should be), that could make for a real tough decision...


Plasma-like black levels without distracting Bloom/Halo is my biggest concern about the Vizio FALDs, followed by acceptable viewing angle. Your feedback has comforted me that the 2014 Vizio's could be winners on both fronts.
fafrd is offline  
post #46 of 305 Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Member
 
tony_ansley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
Still can't get my Harmony One to turn off this TV. If I go into the Device page and touch the "Power Off" button it works fine. But when I use the main Power Off on the remote, it won't shut it off. Everything else shuts down but the TV.

I absolutely hate the new Logitech software, it's so brain dead. Can't rearrange activities, can't change the order of the LCD buttons in a device. I swear when I first got this thing that there was a Windows app that you could use to program it that didn't have all the limitations of the current software. Am I on crack, or was there a more full-featured version previously?

You might try changing the timing on the H1. You can change the delay between commands and see if that makes it work better. I have a problem with the volume keys for the TV as each press up/down will actually raise/lower the volume by more than 1 stepping. I haven't played with the delays yet, but plan on doing that over the holiday weekend.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
tony_ansley is offline  
post #47 of 305 Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jfischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
You might try changing the timing on the H1. You can change the delay between commands and see if that makes it work better. I have a problem with the volume keys for the TV as each press up/down will actually raise/lower the volume by more than 1 stepping. I haven't played with the delays yet, but plan on doing that over the holiday weekend.
Yeah, I've tried monkeying around with the timings but still no joy. I use my AV receiver for volume so can't comment about the TV volume control issue.
jfischer is offline  
post #48 of 305 Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Plasma-like black levels without distracting Bloom/Halo is my biggest concern about the Vizio FALDs, followed by acceptable viewing angle. Your feedback has comforted me that the 2014 Vizio's could be winners on both fronts.
With more viewing time, and now that I'm looking harder for it, I do see very slight bloom (I think that's the right term) when credits are rolling, where the area around the credits is ever so slightly not as black as the outside edges of the screen. However, it is very slight, I might not have noticed it unless I was specifically looking for it, and I haven't noticed it during viewing of actual footage during a show or movie. So all in all I'd still say it's a win, especially for a 70" at under $2k.
rogersmj is offline  
post #49 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
With more viewing time, and now that I'm looking harder for it, I do see very slight bloom (I think that's the right term) when credits are rolling, where the area around the credits is ever so slightly not as black as the outside edges of the screen. However, it is very slight, I might not have noticed it unless I was specifically looking for it, and I haven't noticed it during viewing of actual footage during a show or movie. So all in all I'd still say it's a win, especially for a 70" at under $2k.
My first thought was "uh-oh", but really... how much are you ever going to notice this during a film?

Now you say "ever so slightly not as black", but would you describe it as a glow around the text or a whole rectangle that is lighter?

Mine will be delivered tomorrow... OMG CAN'T WAIT.
AVatoms is offline  
post #50 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jfischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post
My first thought was "uh-oh", but really... how much are you ever going to notice this during a film?

Now you say "ever so slightly not as black", but would you describe it as a glow around the text or a whole rectangle that is lighter?

Mine will be delivered tomorrow... OMG CAN'T WAIT.
I thought I might notice rectangles of slightly different brightnesses due to the zones, but so far I haven't been able to detect them. I'm going to quit looking for defects at this point, I'm happy with the picture quality as it is. If you look hard enough you can find flaws in any TV. As long as they don't distract from normal viewing then they shouldn't matter anyway.
fafrd, Ph8te and AVatoms like this.
jfischer is offline  
post #51 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
I thought I might notice rectangles of slightly different brightnesses due to the zones, but so far I haven't been able to detect them. I'm going to quit looking for defects at this point, I'm happy with the picture quality as it is. If you look hard enough you can find flaws in any TV. As long as they don't distract from normal viewing then they shouldn't matter anyway.
I agree. And I am confident about this one thing:

It will be a huge step up in picture quality from my 2008 Samsung LN52650A!
AVatoms is offline  
post #52 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
jfischer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post
I agree. And I am confident about this one thing:

It will be a huge step up in picture quality from my 2008 Samsung LN52650A!
I had that exact same TV. And yes, it will be a big step up in PQ. Not that the Sammy is bad, but it had fluorescent backlighting which makes it harder to get great black levels.

In fact, that TV is in my garage right now waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Guess on CL I could probably get a couple of Benjamins for it.
jfischer is offline  
post #53 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
I had that exact same TV. And yes, it will be a big step up in PQ. Not that the Sammy is bad, but it had fluorescent backlighting which makes it harder to get great black levels.

In fact, that TV is in my garage right now waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Guess on CL I could probably get a couple of Benjamins for it.
Nice! I'll be putting mine in the basement for the kids. I see them on ebay for hundreds. Good luck!
AVatoms is offline  
post #54 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post
My first thought was "uh-oh", but really... how much are you ever going to notice this during a film?

Now you say "ever so slightly not as black", but would you describe it as a glow around the text or a whole rectangle that is lighter?

Mine will be delivered tomorrow... OMG CAN'T WAIT.
It's more of a whole rectangle that is slightly lighter...with credits scrolling in the middle of the screen, I noticed the center vertical "third" of the screen, through which the credits were scrolling, was a touch lighter than the black on the outer thirds.

Again, I think I only noticed because I was looking for it. I'm certainly very happy with the PQ overall.
AVatoms likes this.
rogersmj is offline  
post #55 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Newbie
 
Infoirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My 70 inch is up and running. I am glad I returned the 2013 model way back in January and was worth the wait for the 2014 model. The blacks are deeper and no more blooming or flash lighting from the sides. Even though the 3d was cool, I only watched one dvd on it and was impressed, but me and my wife really cared to watch any 3d movies on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_8140470.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	230905  
AVatoms likes this.
Infoirt is offline  
post #56 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
primetimeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infoirt View Post
My 70 inch is up and running. I am glad I returned the 2013 model way back in January and was worth the wait for the 2014 model. The blacks are deeper and no more blooming or flash lighting from the sides. Even though the 3d was cool, I only watched one dvd on it and was impressed, but me and my wife really cared to watch any 3d movies on it
What are your thoughts on motion on the new set? Better, worse or about the same as 2013 set?
primetimeguy is online now  
post #57 of 305 Old 08-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Newbie
 
Infoirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
What are your thoughts on motion on the new set? Better, worse or about the same as 2013 set?

I don't see a difference. I had no problem with motion with 2013 or the 2014 models
Infoirt is offline  
post #58 of 305 Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Newbie
 
UninTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
still no calibration settings shared huh?


can someone with a bit of calibration experience post their settings? (preferably for a dark environment)


I just want to see if I'm in the right ballpark with mine.
UninTY is offline  
post #59 of 305 Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Member
 
AVatoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone have this TV mounted on a bracket? I am using the old bracket from my last TV and it's the right size but the screw are different. The screws that went in my old Samsung were HUGE.

The screws that came in the back of this set are MUCH smaller around and very short. Are they ok to use for hanging this TV? It just seems... flimsy.

Quick response appreciated since I am hanging this bad boy very soon. I just need some reassurance. I put some thread lock on them because they just seem like they aren't in the TV that far.

AVatoms is offline  
post #60 of 305 Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Member
 
rogersmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post
Anyone have this TV mounted on a bracket? I am using the old bracket from my last TV and it's the right size but the screw are different. The screws that went in my old Samsung were HUGE.

The screws that came in the back of this set are MUCH smaller around and very short. Are they ok to use for hanging this TV? It just seems... flimsy.

Quick response appreciated since I am hanging this bad boy very soon. I just need some reassurance. I put some thread lock on them because they just seem like they aren't in the TV that far.

Yes, mine is hanging, and yes I used the screws that it shipped with. They're fine, unless you have unusually thick gauge steel on your mount. DO NOT use screws longer than what the TV shipped with. You could damage it.
rogersmj is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - M702i-B3 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off