Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
Yes, mine is hanging, and yes I used the screws that it shipped with. They're fine, unless you have unusually thick gauge steel on your mount. DO NOT use screws longer than what the TV shipped with. You could damage it.
THANK YOU for the quick response. I guess I am just paranoid. I mean, realistically, each of those 4 screws could hold a couple hundred pounds easy.

WOO HOO!!! Can't wait to calibrate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 AM

Ok, it's here and it's HUGE and awesome. I am not going to post settings or impressions now because it would just be "new toy" bias. Let it soak in a few days and let me find the right settings for evening viewings, etc.

For now just before and after pics and I'll be glad to answer whatever questions you might have!

Interesting tidbit: I downloaded a 1080p .mkv video file, renamed it to .mp4 with absolutely no re-encoding and it played from USB without issue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEFORE.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	231913   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	231921  
Ph8te, tadslippy and Rf13 like this.

Last edited by AVatoms; 08-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.
post #63 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UninTY View Post
still no calibration settings shared huh?

can someone with a bit of calibration experience post their settings? (preferably for a dark environment)

I just want to see if I'm in the right ballpark with mine.
My settings using WOW as follows as I watch TV mostly in the dark environment. Starting from the back light down.

post #64 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I ran through WOW but I didn't really mess with the backlight. Mine's set much higher than yours, and I'm in a basement with no windows (so plenty dark, usually). How do you know what's the best backlight brightness to start with?
post #65 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I ran through WOW but I didn't really mess with the backlight. Mine's set much higher than yours, and I'm in a basement with no windows (so plenty dark, usually). How do you know what's the best backlight brightness to start with?
I just dialed the backlight down until my eyeballs stopped bleeding. I settled in about 65, but even that is probably too high for a darker environment.
Ph8te likes this.
post #66 of 320 Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I dial it way down when watching in very little light until it looses a hazy affect. Kinda washes out and looses contrast to me when its way up.
post #67 of 320 Old 08-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Ok, so I did a quick calibration by eye, yesterday in the daylight. I have a pretty bright room. We watched an episode of Fringe last night on Netflix and the blacks were really crushed and there wasn't a lot of shadow details, so today I got our my HD Basics blu ray and loaded up the test patterns.

Here's where I landed:

Auto Brightness: Off
Backlight: 55
Brightness: 65
Contrast: 65
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Active LED zones: On
All other features: OFF.

This is based on using the greyscale step pattern and ensuring all steps were clearly distinguishable from one another. It took some time to get the last 2 whites and last 2 blacks looking right. I did a lot of getting one good but not the other.

Not sure how it will look when the room is darker, but I will report back.

Initial impressions:

It's a great set. It's not perfect. I can see some uniformity issues with solid color test patters up, especially around the edges, but it's minor and makes virtually no difference while watching something.

There is no overscan and using sync test patterns I can verify I am getting a 1:1 pixel ratio.

More impressions and calibration info as I settle into it.
post #68 of 320 Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
bump.

a couple people mentioned they would provide settings after they "settle in" to the set. Still hoping to get a few more calibrations posted.
post #69 of 320 Old 08-30-2014, 02:04 PM

Question for other owners:

When you enable the Motion Blur Reduction, does the picture get very dark? Mine does. Dark to the point that the feature is essentially useless!
post #70 of 320 Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVatoms View Post

When you enable the Motion Blur Reduction, does the picture get very dark? Mine does. Dark to the point that the feature is essentially useless!
This has been reported in other models as well. Usually owners increase the backlight to compensate from what Ive read....
post #71 of 320 Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:

Motion Blur Reduction reduces persistence by blanking the image for a portion of the time (making it darker). You should be able to compensate for the darker image by turning up 'brightness' or 'backlight'...
post #72 of 320 Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 PM

Talking Looking AMAZING!

Alright guys... UPDATE. I have let it sink in and went back to my calibration test patterns and I think I have it. I am getting some INSANE contrast out of this TV. Super inky blacks... and no blooming that I can detect. I know it's not a perfect representation, but the pic I attached is straight from my camera and a good representation of the blacks I am seeing. I am thrilled with the PQ. It's nuts compared to my old Samsung.

Here are the settings:
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 52
Contrast: 70
Color: 45
Active LED Zones: On
All other settings: Off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	696.5 KB
ID:	243042  
post #73 of 320 Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Liked: 10
I just placed my order @ Costco.com on Monday (9/1) and I received notification earlier today (9/2) that it had shipped with white glove delivery and estimated delivery on Tuesday (9/9) of next week! I can barely contain my excitement...

A couple of questions:

When do you think I should receive communication to coordinate the white glove delivery?

Do you think I really need to buy a color calibration tool? Or, do you think I would be equally well served by just trying the settings that other owners post in this forum?

Thanks,

WOOHOO!!!
post #74 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPrometheus View Post
I just placed my order @ Costco.com on Monday (9/1) and I received notification earlier today (9/2) that it had shipped with white glove delivery and estimated delivery on Tuesday (9/9) of next week! I can barely contain my excitement...

A couple of questions:

When do you think I should receive communication to coordinate the white glove delivery?

Do you think I really need to buy a color calibration tool? Or, do you think I would be equally well served by just trying the settings that other owners post in this forum?

Thanks,

WOOHOO!!!
As far as buying a color calibration tool, if you mean hardware, I say that's total overkill. I'd just use what's posted in this thread and a good software solution. I use the Digital Video Essentials bluray, which is kind of outdated at this point, but all you really need are some good test patterns and the know-how to use them correctly.

Congrats and good luck!
post #75 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
As far as buying a color calibration tool, if you mean hardware, I say that's total overkill. I'd just use what's posted in this thread and a good software solution. I use the Digital Video Essentials bluray, which is kind of outdated at this point, but all you really need are some good test patterns and the know-how to use them correctly.

Congrats and good luck!
I you want a truly accurate picture you will need to buy a meter. It is the only way to set grayscale and adjust colors properly. But you can set the basics (black level, white level, sharpness, etc) with a test pattern disc.

Copying other peoples' settings may get you in the ballpark, but it also may not. The Vizios seem to be pretty close on the basic settings across sets but the grayscale is usually quite different.
Ph8te likes this.
post #76 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all, I am pleased to read the good reviews. Here is my dilemma and maybe you can help me decide.

I purchased a Samsung UN65H7150AFXZA from Best Buy last week. Out of the box the picture was terrible. I researched on here and grabbed a few settings from some other members on here and found one that looked pretty good. The PQ is pretty good not, but the TV definitely has some issues that I really don't care for.

My sources are a DirecTV HD box, a Samsung Blu Ray player and an XBOX 360 run through a Pioneer Elite SC63 to the TV.

When watching any source, I get some motion blur and some judder. I have tried all of the settings on the Samsung to get rid of the issues and none of the motion plus settings seem to fix the issue.

Will the Vizio have the same type issues?

I am replacing a 2004 Samsung 720P 60hz DLP that NEVER had any issues like this. This is to give you a framework.

I thought the 240HZ plus the motion plus ability was supposed to be better than a 60HZ set.

So I am thinking about getting the Vizio 702i-b3 instead.

What do you think?
post #77 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alright guys... UPDATE. I have let it sink in and went back to my calibration test patterns and I think I have it. I am getting some INSANE contrast out of this TV. Super inky blacks... and no blooming that I can detect. I know it's not a perfect representation, but the pic I attached is straight from my camera and a good representation of the blacks I am seeing. I am thrilled with the PQ. It's nuts compared to my old Samsung.

Here are the settings:
Backlight: 40
Brightness: 52
Contrast: 70
Color: 45
Active LED Zones: On
All other settings: Off

Always hard to judge with a web pic, but that image looks pretty good. Do you have access to Tron II and if so, is there any change you could take a picture of this scene on your vizio: https://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-local-dimming

1st picture is plasma, 2nd is LED/LCD native (no local dimming) and the 3rd is LED/LCD with local dimming (note the bloom/halo).

Curious how your new Vizio compares on this same scene.
post #78 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Always hard to judge with a web pic, but that image looks pretty good. Do you have access to Tron II and if so, is there any change you could take a picture of this scene on your vizio: https://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-local-dimming

1st picture is plasma, 2nd is LED/LCD native (no local dimming) and the 3rd is LED/LCD with local dimming (note the bloom/halo).

Curious how your new Vizio compares on this same scene.
Picture attach failed - looks like this second attempt has worked :-)

Again, 1st picture is plasma, 2nd is LED/LCD native (no local dimming) and the 3rd is LED/LCD with local dimming (note the bloom/halo).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	local-dimming-plasma.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	244225   Click image for larger version

Name:	local-dimming-without.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	244233   Click image for larger version

Name:	local-dimming-led.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	244241  
post #79 of 320 Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Again, 1st picture is plasma, 2nd is LED/LCD native (no local dimming) and the 3rd is LED/LCD with local dimming (note the bloom/halo).
I do not have that film, but there's NO WAY it would bloom like that based on what I have been seeing. Just no way.

If you can find a full frame screen shot I'd be happy to run it on the media player and take a pic.
post #80 of 320 Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So I returned the Samsung and bought the Vizio. It was shipped to the local bb and of course it was damaged in transit so now I have to wait until next Thursday
post #81 of 320 Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I purchased this TV through best buy last weekend. So far i love the picture and size of the TV but i do have some questions.

Firstly, When playing blu rays through the PS4 i seem to have lip sync issues. No issues when watch tv through DTV.

Secondly, since the PS4 no longer plays pandora through the system and this was my primary use of music in my house on my last tv with the PS3 i was hoping to use the vizio and its pandora app. However, i can not seem to get it to play through my denon receiver. Maybe i need to hook up another cable?

Any help with these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

LG 55LK520
Denon 3311
Denon bdp 1611
KEF Q200c
KEF Q300s L/R
Bic Pl200

post #82 of 320 Old 09-08-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:

I am going to change my answer. There's definiter blooming in scenes like this or credits rolling... but only off angle.

I noticed it the other day while laying down on the couch. Still, it's minor and not noticeable when viewing straight on.
post #83 of 320 Old 09-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPrometheus View Post

Thanks,

WOOHOO!!!
The TV arrived today, and it looks fantastic!!!

A few questions:

1) For now at least, I don't intend to use any of the multimedia features (i.e. Netflex, Amazon, Youtube), but just for grins, I did connect it to my wireless LAN. Does this mean that the TV will check for, and pull, the latest firmware updates from Vizio on a periodic basis? Is this recommended, or should I disconnect it from my wireless LAN since I don't intend to use any of the multimedia features?

2) Overall picture looks stellar, but I did notice a few oddities that I wonder if I can mitigate somehow in the configuration settings.
a) The scene contained a roof with a lot of straight lines, and as the camera panned, the lines began to look all choppy. I don't know if this was just the content itself, or the TV. Can this effect be mitigated in some way?
b) Watching the Discovery HD channel, the bottom right contains a spinning logo of the Earth (presumably), but the Earth was quite garbled. Can this effect be mitigated in some way?

Thank you!
post #84 of 320 Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Got a chance to upgrade my TV to a 70 or 80 inch model as part of a home renovation. I've been buying Vizios for about 6 years, going from a 50 inch 552 to a 60 inch E600i-B3 (or a slightly earlier version of the 60 inch E series when it came out about 2 years ago). I go with Vizio over higher priced comparable size TVs under the theory that a 70 inch Samsung will cost 50-100% more than the Vizio and will have slightly better picture quality, moderately less flaws but will still have a host of banding, sound, lip sync etc. issues that its forums will highlight. In my mind, I'd rather pay 1800 for the M702 than 3k for the comparable Samsung if both will have at least some issues, then trade up to the next great TV 2-3 years down the road and move a tv to a basement, bedroom or relative.

With that background, I'm thinking of the M702 but wanted to get a sense of whether some of the hot bottom flaws I've had in the past, particularly in the E series, compare:

Sound - the sound on the E series is bad. My family prefers to us the speakers on the TV than a soundbar, and it really is pretty horrible. I'm assuming given the rear firing speakers that this will not have changed on the M series.

Side Angle Viewing - this had been a huge flaw for some in the forums before my purchase. I've never had that much of a problem with it as I sit dead center but do notice it start to drop as you swing around my room. Its still fine at 45% off center so everyone seated around the TV sees fine, but its not as sharp at 45 as it is as 90 dead center. Any thoughts on this for the M?

Lip sync - I've seen some lip sync issues but not enough to seriously detract from my TV enjoyment. Any major issues here? In my experience, this is as often a case of the various sources (between cable, apple tv, etc.) as the tv itself.

Light Bleeding - this is perhaps my biggest complaint on the E series. I definitly have 3 or four areas where on a black screen, corner light bleeds through. I've never been thilled about it and assume it does cause some problems on picture quality but not enough to make me want to change it out or return it. For the under 1k I paid for it, I considered it a good enough level.

Picture quality - generally very good. I've never been blown away by it, even using Blu Ray as a source, and even when calibrated using settings found here. Thoughts on whether the M series is much of an improvement? For comparison, I've always felt a similarly priced Samsung is slightly better when tuned particularly in black levels but never enough to justify the price premium.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
post #85 of 320 Old 09-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Coming from a Samsung LN52A650, which had awesome picture quality, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the picture quality on my new Vizio. The picture is not bad, it just doesn't jump and pop. I ordered the WOW Disney calibration disc to give the tv some life. We'll see...any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	258226  
post #86 of 320 Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadeh7 View Post
Coming from a Samsung LN52A650, which had awesome picture quality, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the picture quality on my new Vizio. The picture is not bad, it just doesn't jump and pop. I ordered the WOW Disney calibration disc to give the tv some life. We'll see...any thoughts?

You may just not like a more "natural" calibrated\accurate picture. You may want to play with the settings and modes to see what appeals to you more. You'll also want to test out some different content\sources as "pop" was not something that looked missing in the M65" I demoed (content from home) in BB a few weeks ago.
post #87 of 320 Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I too had an LN52A650 previously, and find the picture on the Vizio to be far better. Definitely better black levels and depth, at least to my eye.
post #88 of 320 Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I too came from that exact same set and thing the Vizio is FAR better in the PQ dept. Not perfect, but FAR better.

What is your main use? Blu rays? TV? Games?

Do you typically watch in a brightly lit room? Dark?

What's your viewing angle? Straight on? Off to the side?

I'd start with either "Calibrated" or "Calibrated Dark" and go from there. One thing I do is move the color temp to "Normal". I find the warm and warm 2 too much for me.
post #89 of 320 Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My thoughts on the M702

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrokkos View Post
Got a chance to upgrade my TV to a 70 or 80 inch model as part of a home renovation. I've been buying Vizios for about 6 years, going from a 50 inch 552 to a 60 inch E600i-B3 (or a slightly earlier version of the 60 inch E series when it came out about 2 years ago). I go with Vizio over higher priced comparable size TVs under the theory that a 70 inch Samsung will cost 50-100% more than the Vizio and will have slightly better picture quality, moderately less flaws but will still have a host of banding, sound, lip sync etc. issues that its forums will highlight. In my mind, I'd rather pay 1800 for the M702 than 3k for the comparable Samsung if both will have at least some issues, then trade up to the next great TV 2-3 years down the road and move a tv to a basement, bedroom or relative.

With that background, I'm thinking of the M702 but wanted to get a sense of whether some of the hot bottom flaws I've had in the past, particularly in the E series, compare:

Sound - the sound on the E series is bad. My family prefers to us the speakers on the TV than a soundbar, and it really is pretty horrible. I'm assuming given the rear firing speakers that this will not have changed on the M series.

I use the Vizio Sound Bar 5451...never really ever used the TV speakers in my main viewing TV...so not sure what to compare it to. They sound fine to me the little that I used them, but I also knew it was a temporary situation...so...

Side Angle Viewing - this had been a huge flaw for some in the forums before my purchase. I've never had that much of a problem with it as I sit dead center but do notice it start to drop as you swing around my room. Its still fine at 45% off center so everyone seated around the TV sees fine, but its not as sharp at 45 as it is as 90 dead center. Any thoughts on this for the M?

There is some color washout, but it really takes an extreme angle to get to that point...I have not been disappointed in the viewing angle.

Lip sync - I've seen some lip sync issues but not enough to seriously detract from my TV enjoyment. Any major issues here? In my experience, this is as often a case of the various sources (between cable, apple tv, etc.) as the tv itself.

This is probably my biggest complaint. Not sure if it is the TV or the sound-bar that is creating the most differential, still need to do some testing. Some channels are perfect, many are not...could be the encoding from the source not being interpreted correctly...not sure.

Light Bleeding - this is perhaps my biggest complaint on the E series. I definitly have 3 or four areas where on a black screen, corner light bleeds through. I've never been thilled about it and assume it does cause some problems on picture quality but not enough to make me want to change it out or return it. For the under 1k I paid for it, I considered it a good enough level.

With direct backlight there really is no light bleed...but I am not a video expert...I am sure someone will tell you there is...and there might be, it just is not noticeable to me.

Picture quality - generally very good. I've never been blown away by it, even using Blu Ray as a source, and even when calibrated using settings found here. Thoughts on whether the M series is much of an improvement? For comparison, I've always felt a similarly priced Samsung is slightly better when tuned particularly in black levels but never enough to justify the price premium.

I love the picture quality. I sit about 12 feet away, and to me, the picture is beautiful.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #90 of 320 Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone using this with a PC / Mac, and able to provide any feedback on what text looks like? Any color fringing when you are right up against the screen?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - M702i-B3 by PriceGrabber.com