Official 2014 Vizio M702i-B3 Owners Thread - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 397 Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Official 2014 Vizio M702i-B3 Owners Thread

Starting new thread to discuss the 2014 M702i-B3 70" TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 397 Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hope to be posting some pictures this evening of my final install.

Very happy with the TV and now that I have the new 54-inch sound bar installed, my setup is complete.

I will say that the sound bar is LOUD. Normal viewing/listening is at volume level 2-4 on the volume graphic! Hate to see what this thing sounds like at 10 or 15!

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #3 of 397 Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

M702 Pictures

Ok

Here are a few quick pics of my final install on the M702 with the S5451w sound bar:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140812_19_08_33_Pro.jpg
Views:	1627
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	211137   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140812_19_08_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	211145   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140812_19_09_10_Pro.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	211153  
Seawater and Eternitay like this.

Tony
post #4 of 397 Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it sits on top of the sound bar? or its just the angle?
post #5 of 397 Old 08-14-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
it sits on top of the sound bar? or its just the angle?
Just the angle. The sound bar is sitting on the stand and the TV is mounted on the wall. I have the TV adjusted so that it is right at the height of the sound bar...keeps the wires hidden
Jim Noyd likes this.

Tony
post #6 of 397 Old 08-14-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have mine on an A/V stand, but my center channel speaker blocked the lower inch or so of the screen. I bought two 12x24" black shelf boards at Home Depot, screwed them together to make a 1" high platform and put the TV on that. Problem solved, and I like the TV up a little higher than it was anyway.
post #7 of 397 Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watched the Thursday night game last night on ESPN, it looked great to me. Might have noticed some very slight banding near the left third of the screen a few times, but it's so minor that it doesn't bother me. I had to be looking for it to notice it, otherwise I never saw it. My settings seem to be sticking so far, so maybe that was just a fluke?

Also set up my Harmony One, but they didn't have the code for the 70" yet but did for the 60, so I used that instead. Everything works fine but when I hit the master Power Off button everything else turns off but the TV. Anyone else using a Harmony that has seen this? I can't learn it because I need it to send the explicit "Power Off" command, not "Power Toggle".
post #8 of 397 Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
Watched the Thursday night game last night on ESPN, it looked great to me. Might have noticed some very slight banding near the left third of the screen a few times, but it's so minor that it doesn't bother me. I had to be looking for it to notice it, otherwise I never saw it. My settings seem to be sticking so far, so maybe that was just a fluke?

Also set up my Harmony One, but they didn't have the code for the 70" yet but did for the 60, so I used that instead. Everything works fine but when I hit the master Power Off button everything else turns off but the TV. Anyone else using a Harmony that has seen this? I can't learn it because I need it to send the explicit "Power Off" command, not "Power Toggle".
I use the Harmony One as well...don't have any issues, though I did have one time where the TV did not turn off, but I was at an angle to the right of the screen (away from the sensor on the left) and might have had the remote a little off-balance in terms of where it was pointing. Other than that, it has worked every time.

My issue right now with the H-1 is the volume control is a little weird. A single press of the volume rocker will randomly move the TV (actually the Vizio sound bar) up or down in multiple increments...sometimes it goes up/dn 1, but most of the time the volume goes up/dn by 2 or 3. Probably need to change the timing a little bit on the button press delay values. I might play around with this and see what happens.

Tony
post #9 of 397 Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
I use the Harmony One as well...don't have any issues, though I did have one time where the TV did not turn off, but I was at an angle to the right of the screen (away from the sensor on the left) and might have had the remote a little off-balance in terms of where it was pointing. Other than that, it has worked every time.
What TV model did you use when you had to pick on in the Harmony software? Maybe I should try another model # in case the M60 profile is messed up.

I've tried pointing it directly at the lower left of the TV when hitting the master power button but it just doesn't work. The Vizio remote works perfectly every time, so I am pretty sure it's the Harmony One.
post #10 of 397 Old 08-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
What TV model did you use when you had to pick on in the Harmony software? Maybe I should try another model # in case the M60 profile is messed up.

I've tried pointing it directly at the lower left of the TV when hitting the master power button but it just doesn't work. The Vizio remote works perfectly every time, so I am pretty sure it's the Harmony One.
I believe I picked the M60 as well, but will have to verify.

Tony
post #11 of 397 Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger tonight on a M702i from Costco.com (re-joined Costco just to order it!). Went ahead and added the $35 white glove delivery, since I need it hauled down into the basement. With tax, came to just over $2k. Been waiting for this since January! Hope it proves worth it...if there's anything I can't live with, I suppose I can return it can cough up the extra $700+ for the P70.
post #12 of 397 Old 08-16-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty happy with mine, just calibrated it with the WOW disc. Didn't have to change too many settings, it seems to do perfectly on the white/black ramps, etc. I love football on this thing :-)

I'm sure the P will be nice too, but for another $600-$700 I'm not sure it's enough nicer at this point, but we'll see
briar14 likes this.
post #13 of 397 Old 08-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I'm sure the P will be nice too, but for another $600-$700 I'm not sure it's enough nicer at this point, but we'll see
That's my hope too. Good to hear you like yours.
post #14 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So far I'm loving mine. Programmed my Harmony One yesterday and it works perfectly. I find the smart features easier to use with the provided remote, but everything else works fine through the H1. I've done some very basic calibration, and the set looks great. I think a full calibration will really make this set sing. I hesitated upgrading from my LED DLP Sammy because I felt nothing was that much of a step up from what I had, and the M702i is definitely a huge step up in PQ. No regrets at all here and my friends with projectors have contrast envy
Ph8te likes this.
post #15 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerinS4 View Post
So far I'm loving mine. Programmed my Harmony One yesterday and it works perfectly.
Do you recall which Vizio model # you used when programming the H1? When I set mine up, the M70 wasn't in their database yet, so I went with the M60. Everything works but it will not turn off the TV. I have to use the Vizio remote to do that. Pretty sure the Vizio codes haven't changed much so I'm not sure why the M60 profile won't turn my set off?
post #16 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM

Liked: 1
That's the one I used and haven't had any issues turning on or off. Did you use the 2014 model # for the 60?

Quote:
Do you recall which Vizio model # you used when programming the H1? When I set mine up, the M70 wasn't in their database yet, so I went with the M60. Everything works but it will not turn off the TV. I have to use the Vizio remote to do that. Pretty sure the Vizio codes haven't changed much so I'm not sure why the M60 profile won't turn my set off?
post #17 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerinS4 View Post
That's the one I used and haven't had any issues turning on or off. Did you use the 2014 model # for the 60?
Yes, it was the M60xx-Bx listing. It's just weird that it turns on, changes inputs, does everything else perfectly but it won't turn the set off. I've tried pointing it at different areas of the TV when I do the Power Off command, but it doesn't seem to matter in the least.

Maybe I'll try wiping out the TV from the remote setup and re-add it again and see what happens.
post #18 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
any calibration settings to share guys?
post #19 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I only did mine with the WOW disc, didn't actually have to change things too much. But this is pretty basic stuff - brightness, contrast, color, and tint. In any event, it looks pretty good to me although I'm sure a calibration with a meter would obviously be better.
post #20 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Trying to decide between this and the E700i-B3. I'm going to be using it hooked up to an XBox One, so I'll want the least amount of input lag possible. Does that mean I need to turn off local dimming? If so, doesn't that negate the benefit of the much greater amount of dimming zones on the M series?
post #21 of 397 Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Yes, it was the M60xx-Bx listing. It's just weird that it turns on, changes inputs, does everything else perfectly but it won't turn the set off. I've tried pointing it at different areas of the TV when I do the Power Off command, but it doesn't seem to matter in the least.

Maybe I'll try wiping out the TV from the remote setup and re-add it again and see what happens.
Did you get the remote to work? I just got a M602i-b3 and have the same issue with the harmony remote not turning the TV off.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #22 of 397 Old 08-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good,I'm pretty happy with mine, just calibrated it with the WOW disc. Didn't have to change too many settings, it seems to do perfectly on the white/black ramps, etc. I love football on this thing,[IMG]http://*******/xp1ekA[/IMG]thank you
post #23 of 397 Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just noticed that this TV is now listed at BestBuy.com. I want someone to install it on my wall for me (currently I have no mount) and I have no Costco near/am not a member. I am a member of Sams Club but their website says all of the large (60"+) 2014 M-series sets are online only, so Best Buy may be my only option. (Apparently the 2014 70" E-series is sold in store at Sams, but they had nothing over 60" in store when I was there, and most of what was there was E-series; only a couple small M-series models were there.)

I have a dumb question (well, maybe it's not a dumb question, but I feel dumb having to ask it) about mounts: Can the TV be off center from the vertical mid-point of the mount? I am not certain that the point immediately between two wall studs is where I want this TV centered, given that it and the adjacent component cabinet are taking up most of the space on the wall and I need room for speakers.

Thanks!
post #24 of 397 Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_H View Post
I have a dumb question (well, maybe it's not a dumb question, but I feel dumb having to ask it) about mounts: Can the TV be off center from the vertical mid-point of the mount? I am not certain that the point immediately between two wall studs is where I want this TV centered, given that it and the adjacent component cabinet are taking up most of the space on the wall and I need room for speakers.

Thanks!
I have used a mount previously that allowed the TV to slide left and right somewhat along the rails. Probably depends on the mount more than anything. The mounts I've used also have multiple holes horizontally so you don't have to be dead-nuts centered on a stud necessarily. If you can get at least one set of lag bolts into the stud, the others will probably be OK with a decent wallboard bolt. At least that's how I mounted my 2008 52" Samsung, and it's probably at least as heavy as this M70.
post #25 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Hoping that a few more owners can jump in this thread and provide some calibration settings.

Like I said, it looks great to me, after basic calibration......

but I always wonder if it can be better.
post #26 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UninTY View Post
Hoping that a few more owners can jump in this thread and provide some calibration settings.

Like I said, it looks great to me, after basic calibration......

but I always wonder if it can be better.
The challenge is that calibration is very set specific so something that looks good on your TV may not look good on someone else's. That said, I get my M702i-B3 next Tuesday and will be calibrating it to the best of my ability next week. I'll post what I come up with but based on what Smeg36 posted in the main M-series thread on his 65", it's probably going to be a bumpy ride.
post #27 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know if Sams Club will be selling the 70" in store? The website says sold online only.

Does anyone know which freight company Sams Club uses to deliver TV's?
Any risk in damages to have it delivered? I know UPS really beats up packages.

Thanks
post #28 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane333 View Post
Does anyone know if Sams Club will be selling the 70" in store? The website says sold online only.

Does anyone know which freight company Sams Club uses to deliver TV's?
Any risk in damages to have it delivered? I know UPS really beats up packages.

Thanks

The risk is just a different type. If you transport the TV and damage it you're SOL, if they ship and it gets damaged they pay on their dime. Determine which is better for you and go with it

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #29 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
so this is not P702ui-B3 is a 70 inch 4K LED TV, we are discussing here, right?
post #30 of 397 Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Panel question

I'm considering exchanging my current Vizio E701i-A3 for this model. Does anyone know if the panel used for this model is different or the same as my current model? I'm trying to judge if the risk of the bright spot problem occurring on this model. Hope it won't be an issue. Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - M702i-B3 by PriceGrabber.com