How to Wall Mount Sony KDL55W800B using the stand - HELP!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to Wall Mount Sony KDL55W800B using the stand - HELP!!!!

Hello! My husband and I just bought a Sony KDL55W800B from Best Buy and need to mount it to the wall. The Sony rep at the store told us that we could use the stand provided to mount it but would need to purchase an adapter if we wanted to use a different VESA approved mount. We were fine with using the stand so we purchased it. Once we got it home we realized that it did not come with any wall mounting brackets, but did come with two screws for wall mounting it that make it compatible with a VESA mount we already have - but it is for a 40 inch tv...this is 55...thus we have not hung it. However, when we contact anyone from Sony or Best Buy they tell us we have to get the adapter or the brackets are provided in the shipping box.

We finally took the users manual into Best Buy and showed the Sony rep the wording "Mounting Hardware NOT included". He was confused and nicely opened another tv and took the brackets from that one and we were happily on our way. Once we got home we hit another snag: the actual stand is too big - about 4 1/2 inches too far away from the mounting holes. We would like to use the stand mount but cannot find any way to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Having just bought the 50" version of this TV I was going to give this question a go. First thing I downloaded the manual for the 55" version from here,

http://manualsandguides.blogspot.co....p-3d-hdtv.html

and found there are no instructions or references to wall mounting using the supplied stand as a wall bracket. All instructions refer to using a third party bracket.

This is unlike the 50" version where the TV can be wall mounted with the stand and the additional hardware is supplied, (as are the instructions).

As you say an adapter kit is required to uses a Vesa mount and Sony seem a bit slow on providing this. There is a link to a kit on this page,

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/telev...1557683#M19476

though it is not clear whether it is universal or can only be used with the listed Vogel brackets which are expensive.

If all else fails try ringing round the local TV repairers and see if any provide a wall mounting service. They should have all the necessary parts and may even give a guarantee against the TV falling off the wall.
lowtechgirl likes this.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I 'think' that I found my answer after talking to Sony for 3 hours

Dolus - Thanks for the input! Sony seemed to almost forget the portion on wall mounting in the installation manual. As I type this my husband is installing the KDL55W800B to the wall using a VESA mount. After talking to 1 manager and 3 different service representatives from Sony yesterday - all-in-all, 3 hours of my life that I will never get back - The 55 inch IS - I repeat - IS VESA COMPLIANT. Use the provided "Wall Mount Attachment" - better known to my husband and I as the long screws - and it makes the television flush with the VESA mount. If you wish to wall mount it using the stand you must purchase the 'Wall Mount Bracket' (not supplied and they don't tell you how to order it or what it is for). To Sony's credit: They are sending us the Wall Mount Bracket and everything we need to use the stand to hang the television for free. The only hitch: It will take 2 weeks to get here, thus we went ahead and got a VESA mount so we will no longer have a $1300 paperweight in the corner waiting to be drop kicked by one of our children.

This entire process was extremely frustrating for both my husband and I. From delivery to actually getting it onto the wall took close to two weeks. Everyone that we've talked to, including multiple reps at Sony and Best Buy, said they were trained that both the 50/55 800's series were not VESA compliant and could be mounted on the wall by converting the stand into a mount using brackets of which Sony provided with the television. It was almost like they originally planned on making the 55 like the 50, only saw the backlash they received by requiring an adapter for VESA mounts, corrected the problem by supplying the "Wall Mount Attachments" but forgot to change the screw hole locations on the stand and update their installation manual. I hope that this post helps someone else like us who were super excited to have a highly rated television but punched in the gut by, what should be, a simple installation process.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - KDL55W800B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page