Samsung Smart TV IR Controller for cable box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung Smart TV IR Controller for cable box

I am having a problem with my new Samsung UNH657150 controlling my cable box. I have Verizon and a Motorola QIP 7232 2 cable box. The IR flasher to control the Cable Box through the TV will not shut off the cable box. It will turn on the cable box when I press power on the remote, but will not shut it off when I power off the TV. Then it is out of synch and the next time I turn the TV on it shuts off the cable box and I have to manually turn it on again. Every thing else works fine controlling the cable box with the Samsung.

I can't find any settings for the IR flasher in the Samsung menu. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thank you,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Are you using CEC? I think Samsung calls it Anynet+, which in theory is supposed to allow you to control any device that is connected to your system via HDMI.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Otto, yes I'm using Anynet+ for ARC and to turn on the Yamaha receiver. There is an issue with that as well, it changes the receiver to whatever input ARC is assigned to. Not much you can do about it from what I've read. The cable box is controlled by the Samsung IR flasher though. Th IR flasher doesn't send the command to shut the cable box off, only the command to turn it on. So the cable box is out of sync and shut off every time you turn the TV on.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
You might want to consider disabling ARC/CEC. The only advantage of ARC is that it eliminates the need to use an optical cable. CEC protocols are optional for the mfrs so there are lots of incompatibilities between devices, even within the same mfr, so using a programmable remote like a Harmony will resolve that.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Otto, I don't think it has anything to do with CEC or ARC, but I could be wrong. The cable box is actually controlled by the IR flasher that that plugs into the back of the TV then sits in front of the cable box. You do the setup in the TV menu and it asks who your provider is and the model of the cable box. It seems like it is not sending the shut off command to the flasher, but sends the turn on command. There is no way to alter the settings like you can with a programable remote that i can find in the Samsung settings.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page