4K Upscaling, how does it really look? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K Upscaling, how does it really look?

I'm sorta on the fence when thinking about my new TV. I'm upgrading from a Panasonic Plasma ST50, I'm looking at a really nice 1080p TV or a Nice 4K TV. My main concern is upscaling because lets face it, for the next 2 years or so everything I do with the TV will be upscaled. So things that will get upscaled is 1080p content from my PC and 720p content from my gaming consoles. I have a pretty beefy video card and eventually I'll be able to do 4k gaming at 30fps, which reminds me can we currently only do 30fps at 4k right now with the HDMI Spec on video cards.

Seems like going with a 4k TV means putting up with a few years of running nothing natively.. At the same time I want to buy a TV that I will have for awhile, I'm sorta done with buying a new TV every 2 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Today, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I think the manufacturers have other plans for you.
I had a nice 70" Sharp Aquos 3D HDTV for 2 years and was waiting for
the satellite service and the local news remote cameras and the rest of the content to
deliver consistently good HD picture quality, then bam! 4K makes it all obsolete before
it even shakes out. I got a replacement on warranty this summer and it is a Q+, which
is supposed to deliver upscaled HD content with more vertical resolution.
It's better than the 2 year old set in brightness, contrast, resolution and it is a 240 panel.
These specs are better than the 4K sets in everything but resolution of actual 4K material.
I love it and would never see the difference from real 4K from a proper viewing distance.
Next year, Sharp is promising better color on the new generation of 4K, which I would
welcome more than the 4K, so my set will be obsolete in that way.
There is no way to stay caught up with technology, which is the flip side of progress...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page