8Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Vizio R Series Speculation and Release Date

Is it too early to start a thread dedicated to this display and those of us who are looking forward it? It has all the signs of being a game-changer with respect to price vs performance.

FALD with 384 zones
800nits
80% of Rec 2020 colorspace
true 24/48 fps presentation (no 3:2 pulldown)
Integrated5.1 soundbar

I for one am hoping for a November-ish release date with a street price of about $3K (but prob really closer to $3500)

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
In other words, if you order coffee, expect it to be hot for christsake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AND...I hope it doesn't have a glossy screen! I can live with semi-glossy, as it seems to provide a more detailed image than a matte screen. Anybody hear about the screen yet?

Take responsibility for your own actions...society is not here to look after you...
post #3 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Pretty amazing a woman could conceive and birth a child faster than Vizio can give birth to the "P" and "Ref" series especially after it was stated they'd already invested two years into these back in January.

For God's sake at this rate LG will have it's 4K 65" 77" OLED debut before these and two generations of 55" OLED's.

It's hard not to poke fun or be a doubting Thomas when you come in here for 9 months seeing numerous anticipation threads and the Hype of CES 2014 and ZERO results while competitors are delivering second gen 4K and OLED and Vizio is stuck on 1080P and zero 3D choices and until they deliver the goods they remain a second class budget panel until they can deliver on the CES Hype that has demo'd no result to-date and their existing models could not qualify for the high end flat panel shootout held recently.

Please prove us wrong Vizio, brings something in UHD to market will ya!

I don't think competitors are concerned with slomo progress of Vizio as they are global and Vizio is domestic

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #4 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

It's hard not to poke fun or be a doubting Thomas when you come in here for 9 months seeing numerous anticipation threads and the Hype of CES 2014 and ZERO results while competitors are delivering second gen 4K and OLED and Vizio is stuck on 1080P and zero 3D choices and until they deliver the goods they remain a second class budget panel until they can deliver on the CES Hype that has demo'd no result to-date and their existing models could not qualify for the high end flat panel shootout held recently.
Wow Westa, that was ONE LONG SENTENCE! I wasn't sure when to take a breath....
To your point however, it would be nice if Vizio could make good on these promises, but I suspect they don't have the R&D budget or resources to develop product as quickly as say, Samsung or Sony.
Given that LG is just about the only company developing OLED sets, I suspect they contracted or hired all the OLED R&D talent that there was on the market to help them...

post #5 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Pretty amazing a woman could conceive and birth a child faster than Vizio can give birth to the "P" and "Ref" series especially after it was stated they'd already invested two years into these back in January.

For God's sake at this rate LG will have it's 4K 65" 77" OLED debut before these and two generations of 55" OLED's.

Please prove us wrong Vizio, brings something in UHD to market will ya!

I don't think competitors are concerned with slomo progress of Vizio as they are global and Vizio is domestic
Let's be honest did they give a reason why it wasn't... Besides a generic response. That shootout has one motive show the best and most expensive that was the theme of this year. Where deos vizio fit in no where. Even if they made a set that beat all of the LCD sets it wouldn't matter. Vizio isn't focused on being mainstream. They're actually focused on giving people excellent PQ and features they want for a great price. While the others deliver mediocre offerings and try to sell based on their reputation and names alone. I believe vizio deserves a chance, and the R series is their ticket in the door to show them how it's done With dolbys help of course.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #6 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
Let's be honest did they give a reason why it wasn't... Besides a generic response. That shootout has one motive show the best and most expensive that was the theme of this year. Where deos vizio fit in no where. Even if they made a set that beat all of the LCD sets it wouldn't matter. Vizio isn't focused on being mainstream. They're actually focused on giving people excellent PQ and features they want for a great price. While the others deliver mediocre offerings and try to sell based on their reputation and names alone. I believe vizio deserves a chance, and the R series is their ticket in the door to show them how it's done With dolbys help of course.
I'm hoping someone does a shootout using more mainstream tvs, so us mere mortals can actually use the info as purchasing criteria.

post #7 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
$4,000, won't make it out until 2015

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #8 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
Opinion, or fact based on knowledge? Please let us know.

post #9 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSonntag View Post
Opinion, or fact based on knowledge? Please let us know.
Speculation

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #10 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

$3000-3500 in the channels before Black Friday (pure speculation, but if you read through the Vizio All Series thread you will see that I have been saying that since just after CES).

It's also worth reading what imagic has to say about the Vizio Reference Series - he has attended the M Series Release event where he was provided an update on the R Series under embargo and will be attending a similar launch event for the P Series in September (also under embargo).
post #11 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
$3000-3500 in the channels before Black Friday (pure speculation, but if you read through the Vizio All Series thread you will see that I have been saying that since just after CES).

It's also worth reading what imagic has to say about the Vizio Reference Series - he has attended the M Series Release event where he was provided an update on the R Series under embargo and will be attending a similar launch event for the P Series in September (also under embargo).
If it's $3k, I'm all over it (assuming they haven't made a complete mess of it)

post #12 of 96 Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If it's $3k, I'm all over it (assuming they haven't made a complete mess of it)

The fact that the E-Series and M-Series have delivered as reviewed/reported is a good sign. The soon-to-be-released P-Series must obviously keep that track record alive. But signs are promising so far that Vizio is unlikely to make 'a complete mess of' the R Series.

$3K is an aggressive price (and pretty much nobody but me thought that price even conceivable just after CES).

The key will be what happens with the pricing of the Samsung UN65HU9000 over the next month or two - if the 'authorized' channels like Best Buy and Amazon start discounting the 'official' street price of $4300 closer to the 'unauthorized reseller' 'unofficial' street price of $2900 being offered by ECTV and others, the likelihood of a $3000 price on the 65" Reference Series increases.

The actual price itself has very little impact on Vizio - they don't want it to be too low because then no one will take the R series seriously as a premium high-end TV, and they don't want it to be too high because then they will not sell any TVs (versus the Samsung UN65HU9000, for example). Vizio wants the price that will sell the most TVs and accomplish the most to improve their brand image and reputation. Based on what I am seeing right now, that price is somewhere in the $3000-3500 range...
post #13 of 96 Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've read non-specific comments in a couple places saying that the 70" P Series will have an inferior screen in comparison to the smaller models. Can anyone confirm that?

John
post #14 of 96 Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I've read non-specific comments in a couple places saying that the 70" P Series will have an inferior screen in comparison to the smaller models. Can anyone confirm that?

John

Where have you heard or seen that? The 60" and 70" P Series panels will be made by Sharp, while the 55" and 65" Panels will be made by AUO. What aspect of the screen do you believe will be inferior on the Sharp panels versus the AUO panels?

The fact that Vizio chose to make the Reference Series 65" and not 70" is an indication that the AUO panel should be as good as it gets, but I've not heard or seen anything about inferiority of the Sharp panels.
post #15 of 96 Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where have you heard or seen that? The 60" and 70" P Series panels will be made by Sharp, while the 55" and 65" Panels will be made by AUO. What aspect of the screen do you believe will be inferior on the Sharp panels versus the AUO panels?

The fact that Vizio chose to make the Reference Series 65" and not 70" is an indication that the AUO panel should be as good as it gets, but I've not heard or seen anything about inferiority of the Sharp panels.
Fafrd, I know I've seen a few comments, but where that happened is lost in all of my reading about the p series in many forums, previews and everything else I cold find. After reading many of your various posts here, and in other threads, it's clear you are knowledgeable insofar as tv technology. If you know of no reason for concern about the panels in the 65 and 70 P series, it alleviates most of my concern.

John
post #16 of 96 Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Fafrd, I know I've seen a few comments, but where that happened is lost in all of my reading about the p series in many forums, previews and everything else I cold find. After reading many of your various posts here, and in other threads, it's clear you are knowledgeable insofar as tv technology. If you know of no reason for concern about the panels in the 65 and 70 P series, it alleviates most of my concern.

John

On the E and the MI am not aware of any significant deficiency of one panel over the other (I've been monitoring both for that reason :-).

We'll need to see what early owners of the P Series have to say. I'm suspecting the 65" panels should be good performers but if the 70" seems to perform as well, it has that extra 5" a well as 12.5% more zones...
post #17 of 96 Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On the E and the MI am not aware of any significant deficiency of one panel over the other (I've been monitoring both for that reason :-).

We'll need to see what early owners of the P Series have to say. I'm suspecting the 65" panels should be good performers but if the 70" seems to perform as well, it has that extra 5" a well as 12.5% more zones...
I'm really hoping the 70 does perform well, since that size is optimum for what I need. And again, assuming it performs well, it would be the only one available at anywhere near that price point price that does.

John
post #18 of 96 Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I for one am hoping for a November-ish release date with a street price of about $3K (but prob really closer to $3500)
This thread of Fantasies
CSonntag Repeats the statements made
Vizio Reference Series UHDTVs at CES 2014
Vizio 65" Reference Series UHDTV at CES 2014
http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-rs120/

nothing new
post #19 of 96 Old 09-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Deleted

Last edited by jhck66; 09-11-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread, Wrong Model
post #20 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There doesn't appear to be a thread dedicated to the Vizio R series, and what info there is seems to be posted in several different threads. So I thought I would resurrect this thread I started a while back. Latest speculation I heard is that it might be 2015 before this series gets released. Does anybody have any hard evidence to the contrary or to support 2015?

post #21 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
There doesn't appear to be a thread dedicated to the Vizio R series, and what info there is seems to be posted in several different threads. So I thought I would resurrect this thread I started a while back. Latest speculation I heard is that it might be 2015 before this series gets released. Does anybody have any hard evidence to the contrary or to support 2015?
Vizio executives were straight up suggesting at the P-series launch media event that the R-series would probably be 2015.

They showed a prototype at CES 2014 but called it a product. A lot of the major manufacturers show prototypes the only difference is they don't call them products and say they will launch that year when they haven't worked out any of the manufacturing details.

So, yeah, looks like it may be a product in 2015. At least the 65". We'll see if the 120" ever is a consumer product.
post #22 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I probably wont be able to afford this series, but if they make a 55" R-series I would have seriously consider it if my CRT ever dies. The P-Series is already quite nice from what I've read.

Charles M Berry
ex-college punk
post #23 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Vizio executives were straight up suggesting at the P-series launch media event that the R-series would probably be 2015.
Had not heard that. Did you attend, or has another member reported this info?

post #24 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
vizio not right not tell the release date, not say prices !
and it has no 3D i love 3D
it's not have 4:4:4

for P/m series published prices in January !
post #25 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Had not heard that. Did you attend, or has another member reported this info?

The Verge published an interview with the Vizio CTO at the P Series launch event two weeks ago. In the interview, the CTO is asked about the release of the R Series and hints that it is being delayed awaiting the availability of HDR content to announce. He suggests the delay will probably be until 'early 2015' so expect an announcement around the time of CES or approaching the SuperBowl...

Increasingly likely that at least the 65" R Series will be materializing as a product - just a question of when Dolby has some first HDR content to announce with partners.
post #26 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Verge published an interview with the Vizio CTO at the P Series launch event two weeks ago. In the interview, the CTO is asked about the release of the R Series and hints that it is being delayed awaiting the availability of HDR content to announce. He suggests the delay will probably be until 'early 2015' so expect an announcement around the time of CES or approaching the SuperBowl...

Increasingly likely that at least the 65" R Series will be materializing as a product - just a question of when Dolby has some first HDR content to announce with partners.
I know iMagic attended the recent P series release event, so perhaps he can provide a few more details. "65" is definitely the sweet spot for me.

post #27 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I know iMagic attended the recent P series release event, so perhaps he can provide a few more details. "65" is definitely the sweet spot for me.

All attendees (including imagic) were under embargo - he'll refer you to the same interview by the Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/68...eries-hands-on

Last edited by fafrd; 10-24-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #28 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 630
By the time Vizio gets the R series out the door their competitors will have had ample time to react. Perhaps they shouldn't telegraph all their plans so far in advance.
Citivas likes this.
post #29 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
By the time Vizio gets the R series out the door their competitors will have had ample time to react. Perhaps they shouldn't telegraph all their plans so far in advance.
I believe its very likely Samsung already has a tv similar to the R series ready to go for CES. Sony and others are of course going to follow. Theirs no way Vizio will be the only ones with HDR. id consider this year another trial run next year and 2016 will probably be a Alot more significant for UHD and OLED. so maybe vizio did us a favor for those also waiting on the R series, its always good to have more choices available.
post #30 of 96 Old 10-04-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Ha! My take is Vizio knew all the manufactures were working on this on their long term product cycles for 2015-2016. By announcing a "product" for 2014 and piecing together a one-off prototype they got huge attention in the tech media and on sites like this. And when their product eventually comes out around the same time as all the other brands who have been working on it just as long, we'll say everyone caught up when that's just a illusion -- Vizio was never ahead. It was a clever marketing gambit and it has paid off. For every person annoyed they over-promised there is still more interest in Vizio on this site than in previous years, and discussion of it as a major player versus a value player.
Geekpryde and Rf13 like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page